Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2167

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 www.POInUSA.com - Sharing Custom POIs
 Custom POI "Collections"
 ** Sharing Custom POIs - www.POInUSA.com - v4 **
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 29

natedj

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 01 oct. 2005 :  06:11:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
UPDATED 05/22/2006 : Some major updates today for www.POInUSA.com - we'd discussed this in the past and now with 30+ entries in the list, it seemed like a good time to see if we could get organized a bit better.

First is the new category linked from www.POInUSA.com , i.e. http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/default.asp?CAT_ID=20 - it holds several subsections where we can hopefully find a good spot for all the discussions. The section that will be of interest to previous contributors here is the Custom POI "Collections" where each collection can have its own thread for more regular updates and easier posting of additions and corrections by people who download the list. I used groomden's message indicating the upload of the REI Stores as an example of what could be done. People who have made POIs available in the current thread are encouraged to start a thread of their own and help is available if need be.

This is very much work in progress and a common spot for all those interested in sharing custom POIs, so feel free to pipe in with any questions or suggestions on how to get things organized. People willing to moderate/coordinate these new forums are also welcome to drop me an email on gpspassion [@] gmail.com

Here is the news item on the portal : http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/news.asp?id=699

SHARING CUSTOM POIs - www.POInUSA.com
NEW - Speed Cameras in Europe : www.EuropePOI.com

INTRO / 1.AVAILABLE POIs / 2.HOW TO ADD OR CORRECT A POI /
3.HOW TO BUILD AND SHARE A POI DATABASE / 4. USEFUL TOOLS

INTRODUCTION

Note by GpsPasSion : While TomTom has had this feature since their navigation solution were launched in 2002, Garmin recently made their POI Loader (Compatible with C3x0/i3/27x0/7x00/Quest 2, nüvi, 60/76Cx) available and there has been interest more interest in sharing custom POIs via the forums. This type of approach has been very successful in France with www.POIenFrance.com where we now have hundreds of thousands of POIs. The way we did it in France was have people interested in a particular type of POIs (the "POI Cat Manager") sharing their lists and coming up with a list obtained by matching addresses with GPS coordinates for instance. Other people could then download that list and add new POIs in the thread with the "POI Cat Manager" updating his list. We need to make sure we do not publish lists that belong to other people. So let's see what can happen with www.POInUSA.com !

1. AVAILABLE POIs
FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY - DO NOT REDISTRIBUTE OR LINK DIRECTLY TO THE POI FILE

CLICK HERE FOR THE UPDATED INDEX

2. HOW TO ADD A POI

If you have any POIs you want to add to existing databases linked above, just post a message in this thread stating:
- POI Database concerned
- Description
- Latitude (in decimal degrees, DD.dddd)
- Longitude (in decimal degrees, DD.dddd)
The Database "manager" can then add the data and upload a fresh file to the server.

3. HOW TO BUILD AND SHARE A POI DATABASE

• How to build your own POI Database by njphilwt - > LINK <

• Uploading your POIs :
    You can upload you POIs using this method:
    1. Make a zip of your .csv and .bmp file and call it USERNAME_POICATEGORYNAME.zip (avoid spaces)
    1. Send your zip file here: http://www.gpspassion.com/_safileup1e.asp
    2. File will be in http://www.gpspassion.com/upload2/USERNAME_POICATEGORYNAME.zip
    3. You can link it with this code (remove the blanks)

• [ url="http://www.gpspassion.com/upload/USERNAME_POICATEGORYNAME.zip" ]POICATEGORY[ /url]
    4. Leave a message here so the admins can update the links.

Note : do not copy POIs available elsewhere, the POIs must be yours, after recording them with your GPS on the spot for instance or placing them on a map based on previous trips.

4. USEFUL TOOLS

• POIedit to create POIs or import existing lists, save them to .asc, remove the first 3 lines and then rename to .csv and you're set to import them into the POI Loader, to use them with TomTom save them to .ov2
    • Maps of North America for use with POIedit - >> HERE <<
    • GPStoPOI (beta) by njphilwt - this program converts from GPX format to CSV format or vice versa. You can create waypoints in MapSource and then convert them to POI (CSV) files. You can also convert POI (CSV) files that others have created, and then edit them in MapSource, see link for details

After pulling my hair out for a few weeks, I finally got my unit to show my POIs with the Points of intrest Loader. Now having used it a few days, I'm liking it more and more, this thing can be very powerful. How about post the way you use your POI, or what places/categories you've come up with ... so I can get some ideas from the entire forum when I make some more POIs

So far I have (3) categories :

1. Super Walmart stores
    2. Florida
    3. Local stops ...whats yours ?

Edited by - jlb on 19 août 2006 23:30:28

Ads

redcloud

USA
    427 Posts

Posted - 01 oct. 2005 :  17:20:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    My first one would be the entire Commonwealth of Virginia with DC and Maryland suburbs speed traps, cameras, redlights, etc. I've had a few takers, and I have been asking that people wanting these files make a contribution to the Speed Trap exchange. This information is compiled from The Speed Trap Exchange and Bear Trap Guide. Please message me for details.
    By the way, custom POIs work with any Garmin navigation unit like the 26xx (ed - via MapSouce, not POI Loader) so this topic would more appropriately be under POIs for Garmin units.

Edited by - redcloud on 01 oct. 2005 17:24:18
    Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93886 Posts

Posted - 01 oct. 2005 :  17:24:34  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
    Well if you want to upload it here just follow the instructions and I'll add it to the list above ;-) We'll see about moving the thread later, it really belongs in the POI section.

gpspassion

93886 Posts

Posted - 02 oct. 2005 :  03:19:32  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
    Thanks for uploading, first on the list ! I added a file in the TomTom .ov2 format.

hcornea

Australia
    599 Posts

Posted - 06 oct. 2005 :  14:09:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    Seems to have all fixed Speedcams for Australia. Certainly seems to match my area.

This remains a work in progress, but if people are willing to update the speed and locations on the CSV for their state and location, and then repost as later version.

Sorry - Not U.S.

Double sorry - original file missing .csv!!! - have re-uploaded file today (also see my post in the 4.70 woes forum)

9th October - Just reworked POIs (markedly expanded). Thanks to (name suppressed, at contributors request) for sending me some further POI db's.

These have been appended, and duplicates withing 5m excluded using POIEdit. Now 3 categories: Speedcams, Redlight, Traffic.

Please PM me if you have co-ordinates / details of more or corrections (Please note: Speed vs Redlight, Streets, Co-ords, and Speed limit)

Edited by - hcornea on 10 oct. 2005 06:21:45
    Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93886 Posts

Posted - 08 oct. 2005 :  22:11:32  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
    Two more files added

njphilwt

USA
    696 Posts

Posted - 09 oct. 2005 :  19:16:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I just did a POI file for the Flying J truckstops in the U.S., which I will upload soon.

Based on RedCloud's speed trap POI listing, I'm thinking that I should follow his lead and do the same thing with the published speed trap list for the NY metro area. Imagine if we could enlist enough people here, and do the whole country at once!

One way to start would be if Redcould could provide the methodology/procedure for converting the speed trap location "descriptions" to MapSource points. (I would certainly appreciate it.)
    Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93886 Posts

Posted - 09 oct. 2005 :  20:53:42  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
    Yes that would certainly be helpful. Have you downloaded POIedit, that's a great tool too. What does that published speed trap list look like ?

@hcornea - got your email, but can't see the file on the server this time, can you give it another try ?

njphilwt

USA
    696 Posts

Posted - 09 oct. 2005 :  21:13:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by gpspassion

Yes that would certainly be helpful. Have you downloaded POIedit, that's a great tool too. What does that published speed trap list look like ?

The entries look like this:

Jurisdiction (city, county, etc.): Route 280 Parsippany, New Jersey
    Speed Trap Location: Route 287-46/80 Split
    Nearest Reference Point: n/a
    GPS Coordinates: n/a
    Time of Day: Mid-day
    Level of Enforcement: Moderate
    Type of Enforcement: Radar
    Date: 11/2003

I'm currently using MapSource and my own batch mode conversion program (GPX-->CSV or CSV-->GPX). It's a one-click process. But I'll also check out POIedit as you suggest.

Go to Top of Page

redcloud

USA
    427 Posts

Posted - 09 oct. 2005 :  23:17:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by njphilwt

I just did a POI file for the Flying J truckstops in the U.S., which I will upload soon.

Based on RedCloud's speed trap POI listing, I'm thinking that I should follow his lead and do the same thing with the published speed trap list for the NY metro area. Imagine if we could enlist enough people here, and do the whole country at once!

One way to start would be if Redcould could provide the methodology/procedure for converting the speed trap location "descriptions" to MapSource points. (I would certainly appreciate it.)

Here's the two links I used to get the information:
    http://www.speedtrap.org/index.html
    http://www.beartraps.com/Default.asp#Interstate%20Highways

From this info, I created 10 speed files, i.e. 20pmh, 25mph, 3omph, etc., 1 red light camera, one speed camera, and one redlight cop file. I then created images for each one.
    One suggestion for anyone who embarks upon this endevour, as you compile the data files also create a MapSource file (.gdb) and place the locations on this for graphical record.
    I will upload the bitmaps.
    Go to Top of Page

njphilwt

USA
    696 Posts

Posted - 10 oct. 2005 :  04:22:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    Thanks.

How about the process of getting coordinates. Are you just reading the description, and looking at the map to find the likely point?

Go to Top of Page

hcornea

Australia
    599 Posts

Posted - 10 oct. 2005 :  06:45:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by redcloud

Here's the two links I used to get the information:
    http://www.speedtrap.org/index.html
    http://www.beartraps.com/Default.asp#Interstate%20Highways

From this info, I created 10 speed files, i.e. 20pmh, 25mph, 3omph, etc., 1 red light camera, one speed camera, and one redlight cop file. I then created images for each one.
    One suggestion for anyone who embarks upon this endevour, as you compile the data files also create a MapSource file (.gdb) and place the locations on this for graphical record.
    I will upload the bitmaps.

Redcloud, do I glean from this that you make the Mapsource waypoints separately from the .csv file.

If so, may I suggest this, because it will save you a LOT of time.

1. Make a new Waypoint file in Mapsource (I use 6.8)
    Create all your speedcam entries as waypoints, using
    The intersection search, and refining as needs be
    2. Save the file as .GPX
    3. Open the file in POIEdit (POIManager)- free on the net
    4. Save as "Navman POI file"
    5. Open the resultant csv file with excel and delete the 3 or so header lines. Mapsource doesn't seem to like the "Tom Tom" header info.

Instant conversion. Saves tedious co-ordinate entry. Also gives the graphical record

I'd suggest putting identifying info (not just "Speedcamera") because it makes it easier to troubleshoot later. At the very least give each camera a number.

The other advantage is that you can save a new waypoint, when you're out and about and add it to your list later when you get back home.

Hope this helps

(please not that POIedit now directly supports Garmin csv format, and imports/exports a .gpx which is compatible with Mapsource)

Edited by - hcornea on 16 déc. 2005 06:06:26
    Go to Top of Page

njphilwt

USA
    696 Posts

Posted - 10 oct. 2005 :  13:49:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    Yeah, that's pretty much how I did my Flying J database. (Except that I used my program to convert to CSV).

But what I really want to know about is the "research" process that is used to determine where the speedtrap is on the map. (I.e. tricks and tips for doing this.)

Go to Top of Page

njphilwt

USA
    696 Posts

Posted - 11 oct. 2005 :  02:39:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    I just uploaded the Flying J listing for the USA:

http://www.gpspassion.com/upload/njphilwt_flyingj.zip

---------------------------

The following is a summary of the techniques I used for doing this. This was pretty specific to the Flying J project, but some of these steps may be helpful with other projects:

1. Found a list of all Flying J locations on the Flying J web site. They actually had a CSV file with GPS coordinates, but only about 10% of the were within 5 miles of the actually locations.

2. Using my custom program, I converted the CSV into a GPX file, and loadedit into MapSource.

3. Installed Google Earth, and set the advanced preferences to make the "touring" speed super fast. (The new MapSource beta has an option to start up and jump to Google Earth, while sending it the waypoint list of the current MapSource session.)

4. For each Flying J site, I looked it up on Google Earth. If it looked like it was already at a location with the distinctive Flying J footprint (visible from space), then I moved onto the next.

5. I used the highway, exit and street address information provided on the Flying J site to find the correct address. Usually I could see the truck stop from space.

6. If there wasn't a clear image, I would type the address into the Google search engine (on the Web), and let it generate its own map. I then matched the map points with MapSource.

7. If it still didn't seem clear, or I couldn't tell which side of the highway it was on, I would either take my best guess, or it that didn't seem good enough, I called the location's phone number from the listing, and asked them.

8. Once I got each new location, I would update the coordinates for the Waypoint in MapSource, or simply "move" the waypoint.

9. Once all the waypoints were loaded, I exported the them to a GPX file, and converted the GPX to a CSV using my program.

This all took a while for the 171 entries.

Phil

Edited by - njphilwt on 11 oct. 2005 04:40:22
    Go to Top of Page

redcloud

USA
    427 Posts

Posted - 11 oct. 2005 :  04:36:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    [/quote]

Redcloud, do I glean from this that you make the Mapsource waypoints separately from the .csv file.

If so, may I suggest this, because it will save you a LOT of time.

1. Make a new Waypoint file in Mapsource (I use 6.8)
    Create all your speedcam entries as waypoints, using
    The intersection search, and refining as needs be
    2. Save the file as .GPX
    3. Open the file in POIEdit (POIManager)- free on the net
    4. Save as "Navman POI file"
    5. Open the resultant csv file with excel and delete the 3 or so header lines. Mapsource doesn't seem to like the "Tom Tom" header info.

Instant conversion. Saves tedious co-ordinate entry. Also gives the graphical record

I'd suggest putting identifying info (not just "Speedcamera") because it makes it easier to troubleshoot later. At the very least give each camera a number.

The other advantage is that you can save a new waypoint, when you're out and about and add it to your list later when you get back home.

Hope this helps
    [/quote]
    Sound like an excellent remedy. I will use this method with my next batch data.
    Will POIedit convert cvs to gpx, or will some program need to be had like njphilwt's batch program? This would solve the problem in both directions.

Edited by - redcloud on 11 oct. 2005 04:42:55
    Go to Top of Page

hcornea

Australia
    599 Posts

Posted - 11 oct. 2005 :  11:56:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    ANOTHER REMINDER THAT THERE IS NO NEED TO QUOTE A REPLY DIRECTLY ABOVE YOURS, THE SERVER SAYS THANKS ;-)

Sound like an excellent remedy. I will use this method with my next batch data.
    Will POIedit convert cvs to gpx, or will some program need to be had like njphilwt's batch program? This would solve the problem in both directions.

Well on the face of it you can save as .gpx from POIEdit.

The only problem is Mapsource won't open it.

Use GPSUtil instead, and save as Mapsource .gdb file. (Freeware edition limted to 100 entries)

(please note that POIEdit will now import/export Mapsource compatible GPX files, and will read/write Garmin CSV files - edited 12/16/2005)

Edited by - hcornea on 03 janv. 2006 02:32:14
    Go to Top of Page
    Page: of 29 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
    Next Page
     New Topic  Reply/Répondre
     Printer Friendly
    Jump To:
    GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
    This page was generated in 2,45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05