Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2402

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 www.POInUSA.com - Sharing Custom POIs
 Custom POI "Collections"
 ** Sharing Custom POIs - www.POInUSA.com - v4 **
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

natedj

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 01 oct. 2005 :  06:11:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
UPDATED 05/22/2006 : Some major updates today for www.POInUSA.com - we'd discussed this in the past and now with 30+ entries in the list, it seemed like a good time to see if we could get organized a bit better.

First is the new category linked from www.POInUSA.com , i.e. http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/default.asp?CAT_ID=20 - it holds several subsections where we can hopefully find a good spot for all the discussions. The section that will be of interest to previous contributors here is the Custom POI "Collections" where each collection can have its own thread for more regular updates and easier posting of additions and corrections by people who download the list. I used groomden's message indicating the upload of the REI Stores as an example of what could be done. People who have made POIs available in the current thread are encouraged to start a thread of their own and help is available if need be.

This is very much work in progress and a common spot for all those interested in sharing custom POIs, so feel free to pipe in with any questions or suggestions on how to get things organized. People willing to moderate/coordinate these new forums are also welcome to drop me an email on gpspassion [@] gmail.com

Here is the news item on the portal : http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/news.asp?id=699

SHARING CUSTOM POIs - www.POInUSA.com
NEW - Speed Cameras in Europe : www.EuropePOI.com

INTRO / 1.AVAILABLE POIs / 2.HOW TO ADD OR CORRECT A POI /
3.HOW TO BUILD AND SHARE A POI DATABASE / 4. USEFUL TOOLS

INTRODUCTION

Note by GpsPasSion : While TomTom has had this feature since their navigation solution were launched in 2002, Garmin recently made their POI Loader (Compatible with C3x0/i3/27x0/7x00/Quest 2, nüvi, 60/76Cx) available and there has been interest more interest in sharing custom POIs via the forums. This type of approach has been very successful in France with www.POIenFrance.com where we now have hundreds of thousands of POIs. The way we did it in France was have people interested in a particular type of POIs (the "POI Cat Manager") sharing their lists and coming up with a list obtained by matching addresses with GPS coordinates for instance. Other people could then download that list and add new POIs in the thread with the "POI Cat Manager" updating his list. We need to make sure we do not publish lists that belong to other people. So let's see what can happen with www.POInUSA.com !

1. AVAILABLE POIs
FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY - DO NOT REDISTRIBUTE OR LINK DIRECTLY TO THE POI FILE

CLICK HERE FOR THE UPDATED INDEX

2. HOW TO ADD A POI

If you have any POIs you want to add to existing databases linked above, just post a message in this thread stating:
- POI Database concerned
- Description
- Latitude (in decimal degrees, DD.dddd)
- Longitude (in decimal degrees, DD.dddd)
The Database "manager" can then add the data and upload a fresh file to the server.

3. HOW TO BUILD AND SHARE A POI DATABASE

• How to build your own POI Database by njphilwt - > LINK <

• Uploading your POIs :
    You can upload you POIs using this method:
    1. Make a zip of your .csv and .bmp file and call it USERNAME_POICATEGORYNAME.zip (avoid spaces)
    1. Send your zip file here: http://www.gpspassion.com/_safileup1e.asp
    2. File will be in http://www.gpspassion.com/upload2/USERNAME_POICATEGORYNAME.zip
    3. You can link it with this code (remove the blanks)

• [ url="http://www.gpspassion.com/upload/USERNAME_POICATEGORYNAME.zip" ]POICATEGORY[ /url]
    4. Leave a message here so the admins can update the links.

Note : do not copy POIs available elsewhere, the POIs must be yours, after recording them with your GPS on the spot for instance or placing them on a map based on previous trips.

4. USEFUL TOOLS

• POIedit to create POIs or import existing lists, save them to .asc, remove the first 3 lines and then rename to .csv and you're set to import them into the POI Loader, to use them with TomTom save them to .ov2
    • Maps of North America for use with POIedit - >> HERE <<
    • GPStoPOI (beta) by njphilwt - this program converts from GPX format to CSV format or vice versa. You can create waypoints in MapSource and then convert them to POI (CSV) files. You can also convert POI (CSV) files that others have created, and then edit them in MapSource, see link for details

After pulling my hair out for a few weeks, I finally got my unit to show my POIs with the Points of intrest Loader. Now having used it a few days, I'm liking it more and more, this thing can be very powerful. How about post the way you use your POI, or what places/categories you've come up with ... so I can get some ideas from the entire forum when I make some more POIs

So far I have (3) categories :

1. Super Walmart stores
    2. Florida
    3. Local stops ...whats yours ?

Edited by - jlb on 19 août 2006 23:30:28

Ads

redcloud

USA
    427 Posts

Posted - 01 oct. 2005 :  17:20:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    My first one would be the entire Commonwealth of Virginia with DC and Maryland suburbs speed traps, cameras, redlights, etc. I've had a few takers, and I have been asking that people wanting these files make a contribution to the Speed Trap exchange. This information is compiled from The Speed Trap Exchange and Bear Trap Guide. Please message me for details.
    By the way, custom POIs work with any Garmin navigation unit like the 26xx (ed - via MapSouce, not POI Loader) so this topic would more appropriately be under POIs for Garmin units.

Edited by - redcloud on 01 oct. 2005 17:24:18
    Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 01 oct. 2005 :  17:24:34  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
    Well if you want to upload it here just follow the instructions and I'll add it to the list above ;-) We'll see about moving the thread later, it really belongs in the POI section.

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 02 oct. 2005 :  03:19:32  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
    Thanks for uploading, first on the list ! I added a file in the TomTom .ov2 format.

hcornea

Australia
    599 Posts

Posted - 06 oct. 2005 :  14:09:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    Seems to have all fixed Speedcams for Australia. Certainly seems to match my area.

This remains a work in progress, but if people are willing to update the speed and locations on the CSV for their state and location, and then repost as later version.

Sorry - Not U.S.

Double sorry - original file missing .csv!!! - have re-uploaded file today (also see my post in the 4.70 woes forum)

9th October - Just reworked POIs (markedly expanded). Thanks to (name suppressed, at contributors request) for sending me some further POI db's.

These have been appended, and duplicates withing 5m excluded using POIEdit. Now 3 categories: Speedcams, Redlight, Traffic.

Please PM me if you have co-ordinates / details of more or corrections (Please note: Speed vs Redlight, Streets, Co-ords, and Speed limit)

Edited by - hcornea on 10 oct. 2005 06:21:45
    Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 08 oct. 2005 :  22:11:32  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
    Two more files added

njphilwt

USA
    696 Posts

Posted - 09 oct. 2005 :  19:16:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I just did a POI file for the Flying J truckstops in the U.S., which I will upload soon.

Based on RedCloud's speed trap POI listing, I'm thinking that I should follow his lead and do the same thing with the published speed trap list for the NY metro area. Imagine if we could enlist enough people here, and do the whole country at once!

One way to start would be if Redcould could provide the methodology/procedure for converting the speed trap location "descriptions" to MapSource points. (I would certainly appreciate it.)
    Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 09 oct. 2005 :  20:53:42  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
    Yes that would certainly be helpful. Have you downloaded POIedit, that's a great tool too. What does that published speed trap list look like ?

@hcornea - got your email, but can't see the file on the server this time, can you give it another try ?

njphilwt

USA
    696 Posts

Posted - 09 oct. 2005 :  21:13:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by gpspassion

Yes that would certainly be helpful. Have you downloaded POIedit, that's a great tool too. What does that published speed trap list look like ?

The entries look like this:

Jurisdiction (city, county, etc.): Route 280 Parsippany, New Jersey
    Speed Trap Location: Route 287-46/80 Split
    Nearest Reference Point: n/a
    GPS Coordinates: n/a
    Time of Day: Mid-day
    Level of Enforcement: Moderate
    Type of Enforcement: Radar
    Date: 11/2003

I'm currently using MapSource and my own batch mode conversion program (GPX-->CSV or CSV-->GPX). It's a one-click process. But I'll also check out POIedit as you suggest.

Go to Top of Page

redcloud

USA
    427 Posts

Posted - 09 oct. 2005 :  23:17:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by njphilwt

I just did a POI file for the Flying J truckstops in the U.S., which I will upload soon.

Based on RedCloud's speed trap POI listing, I'm thinking that I should follow his lead and do the same thing with the published speed trap list for the NY metro area. Imagine if we could enlist enough people here, and do the whole country at once!

One way to start would be if Redcould could provide the methodology/procedure for converting the speed trap location "descriptions" to MapSource points. (I would certainly appreciate it.)

Here's the two links I used to get the information:
    http://www.speedtrap.org/index.html
    http://www.beartraps.com/Default.asp#Interstate%20Highways

From this info, I created 10 speed files, i.e. 20pmh, 25mph, 3omph, etc., 1 red light camera, one speed camera, and one redlight cop file. I then created images for each one.
    One suggestion for anyone who embarks upon this endevour, as you compile the data files also create a MapSource file (.gdb) and place the locations on this for graphical record.
    I will upload the bitmaps.
    Go to Top of Page

njphilwt

USA
    696 Posts

Posted - 10 oct. 2005 :  04:22:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    Thanks.

How about the process of getting coordinates. Are you just reading the description, and looking at the map to find the likely point?

Go to Top of Page

hcornea

Australia
    599 Posts

Posted - 10 oct. 2005 :  06:45:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by redcloud

Here's the two links I used to get the information:
    http://www.speedtrap.org/index.html
    http://www.beartraps.com/Default.asp#Interstate%20Highways

From this info, I created 10 speed files, i.e. 20pmh, 25mph, 3omph, etc., 1 red light camera, one speed camera, and one redlight cop file. I then created images for each one.
    One suggestion for anyone who embarks upon this endevour, as you compile the data files also create a MapSource file (.gdb) and place the locations on this for graphical record.
    I will upload the bitmaps.

Redcloud, do I glean from this that you make the Mapsource waypoints separately from the .csv file.

If so, may I suggest this, because it will save you a LOT of time.

1. Make a new Waypoint file in Mapsource (I use 6.8)
    Create all your speedcam entries as waypoints, using
    The intersection search, and refining as needs be
    2. Save the file as .GPX
    3. Open the file in POIEdit (POIManager)- free on the net
    4. Save as "Navman POI file"
    5. Open the resultant csv file with excel and delete the 3 or so header lines. Mapsource doesn't seem to like the "Tom Tom" header info.

Instant conversion. Saves tedious co-ordinate entry. Also gives the graphical record

I'd suggest putting identifying info (not just "Speedcamera") because it makes it easier to troubleshoot later. At the very least give each camera a number.

The other advantage is that you can save a new waypoint, when you're out and about and add it to your list later when you get back home.

Hope this helps

(please not that POIedit now directly supports Garmin csv format, and imports/exports a .gpx which is compatible with Mapsource)

Edited by - hcornea on 16 déc. 2005 06:06:26
    Go to Top of Page

njphilwt

USA
    696 Posts

Posted - 10 oct. 2005 :  13:49:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    Yeah, that's pretty much how I did my Flying J database. (Except that I used my program to convert to CSV).

But what I really want to know about is the "research" process that is used to determine where the speedtrap is on the map. (I.e. tricks and tips for doing this.)

Go to Top of Page

njphilwt

USA
    696 Posts

Posted - 11 oct. 2005 :  02:39:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    I just uploaded the Flying J listing for the USA:

http://www.gpspassion.com/upload/njphilwt_flyingj.zip

---------------------------

The following is a summary of the techniques I used for doing this. This was pretty specific to the Flying J project, but some of these steps may be helpful with other projects:

1. Found a list of all Flying J locations on the Flying J web site. They actually had a CSV file with GPS coordinates, but only about 10% of the were within 5 miles of the actually locations.

2. Using my custom program, I converted the CSV into a GPX file, and loadedit into MapSource.

3. Installed Google Earth, and set the advanced preferences to make the "touring" speed super fast. (The new MapSource beta has an option to start up and jump to Google Earth, while sending it the waypoint list of the current MapSource session.)

4. For each Flying J site, I looked it up on Google Earth. If it looked like it was already at a location with the distinctive Flying J footprint (visible from space), then I moved onto the next.

5. I used the highway, exit and street address information provided on the Flying J site to find the correct address. Usually I could see the truck stop from space.

6. If there wasn't a clear image, I would type the address into the Google search engine (on the Web), and let it generate its own map. I then matched the map points with MapSource.

7. If it still didn't seem clear, or I couldn't tell which side of the highway it was on, I would either take my best guess, or it that didn't seem good enough, I called the location's phone number from the listing, and asked them.

8. Once I got each new location, I would update the coordinates for the Waypoint in MapSource, or simply "move" the waypoint.

9. Once all the waypoints were loaded, I exported the them to a GPX file, and converted the GPX to a CSV using my program.

This all took a while for the 171 entries.

Phil

Edited by - njphilwt on 11 oct. 2005 04:40:22
    Go to Top of Page

redcloud

USA
    427 Posts

Posted - 11 oct. 2005 :  04:36:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    [/quote]

Redcloud, do I glean from this that you make the Mapsource waypoints separately from the .csv file.

If so, may I suggest this, because it will save you a LOT of time.

1. Make a new Waypoint file in Mapsource (I use 6.8)
    Create all your speedcam entries as waypoints, using
    The intersection search, and refining as needs be
    2. Save the file as .GPX
    3. Open the file in POIEdit (POIManager)- free on the net
    4. Save as "Navman POI file"
    5. Open the resultant csv file with excel and delete the 3 or so header lines. Mapsource doesn't seem to like the "Tom Tom" header info.

Instant conversion. Saves tedious co-ordinate entry. Also gives the graphical record

I'd suggest putting identifying info (not just "Speedcamera") because it makes it easier to troubleshoot later. At the very least give each camera a number.

The other advantage is that you can save a new waypoint, when you're out and about and add it to your list later when you get back home.

Hope this helps
    [/quote]
    Sound like an excellent remedy. I will use this method with my next batch data.
    Will POIedit convert cvs to gpx, or will some program need to be had like njphilwt's batch program? This would solve the problem in both directions.

Edited by - redcloud on 11 oct. 2005 04:42:55
    Go to Top of Page

hcornea

Australia
    599 Posts

Posted - 11 oct. 2005 :  11:56:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    ANOTHER REMINDER THAT THERE IS NO NEED TO QUOTE A REPLY DIRECTLY ABOVE YOURS, THE SERVER SAYS THANKS ;-)

Sound like an excellent remedy. I will use this method with my next batch data.
    Will POIedit convert cvs to gpx, or will some program need to be had like njphilwt's batch program? This would solve the problem in both directions.

Well on the face of it you can save as .gpx from POIEdit.

The only problem is Mapsource won't open it.

Use GPSUtil instead, and save as Mapsource .gdb file. (Freeware edition limted to 100 entries)

(please note that POIEdit will now import/export Mapsource compatible GPX files, and will read/write Garmin CSV files - edited 12/16/2005)

Edited by - hcornea on 03 janv. 2006 02:32:14
    Go to Top of Page

hcornea

Australia
    599 Posts

Posted - 11 oct. 2005 :  15:56:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    quote:

@hcornea - got your email, but can't see the file on the server this time, can you give it another try ?

OK.
    Files are on the server now, in upload directory, but link points to POIinUSA subfolder. Sorry about the second copy, I can download the file from the upload folder now - so the new version must be there.

Just needs to be moved, by the looks of it, so that the >link< points to it.

Cheers
    Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 12 oct. 2005 :  02:58:47  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
    Links updated. Recloud, the Virginia speedcams come from you do they ? Couldn't see your name in the file.

redcloud

USA
    427 Posts

Posted - 12 oct. 2005 :  21:30:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    quote:

Links updated. Recloud, the Virginia speedcams come from you do they ? Couldn't see your name in the file.

Yes, they came from me along with the 24x24 bitmaps. Hope to see other states soon.
    Go to Top of Page

moofy

USA
    58 Posts

Posted - 15 oct. 2005 :  04:54:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    Thanks for taking the time to do the Redlight and Speed POI's Redcloud.
    Go to Top of Page

njphilwt

USA
    696 Posts

Posted - 16 oct. 2005 :  17:14:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    quote:

I've completed the first release of my GPX/POI converter program, and would like to make it available generally. I'm going to keep the program on my own site for download (so I can update it), but would like to publish the link here. Can it be displayed with the links for POIs?

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 16 oct. 2005 :  23:42:39  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
    Sure, just put the link here and I'll add it to the first page, you could also use the upload method in the first message and update it yourself, up to you.

By the way, look who's here http://www.garmin.com/products/poiloader/POISource/ ;-)

njphilwt

USA
    696 Posts

Posted - 17 oct. 2005 :  04:52:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    Edit: GPXtoPOI is now available.

This is a simple program that converts from GPX to POI (CSV) format or POI (CSV) to GPX. (GPX is the waypoint exchange file format supported by MapSource).

The program can be downloaded from the following location:

http://www.masterclass.com/gpxtopoi/gpxtopoidownload.html

If you have any questions or comments, please forward them to gpxtopoi@optonline.net

Edited by - njphilwt on 27 oct. 2005 17:48:44
    Go to Top of Page

njphilwt

USA
    696 Posts

Posted - 19 oct. 2005 :  22:40:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    I just happend upon this site for converting addresses to GPS coordinates. It supports loading of large batches of addresses, and looks like a great tool for POI projects:

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert?form=address

The site is free, but takes donations. It is mentioned briefly here in one of the French forums, but nowhere else, so I thought I'd pass it along.

If anyone knows of an even better one, feel free to shout!

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 20 oct. 2005 :  02:28:45  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
    We'd done that with MapPoint too at one time, this one looks easier to use for sure, let us know how it works for you.

redcloud

USA
    427 Posts

Posted - 20 oct. 2005 :  02:30:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    quote:

GPXtoPOI 0.0.10 (beta) is now available.

This is a simple program that converts from GPX to POI (CSV) format or POI (CSV) to GPX. (GPX is the waypoint exchange file format supported by MapSource).

The program can be downloaded from the following location:

http://www.masterclass.com/gpxtopoi/GPXtoPOIsetup.EXE

If you have any questions or comments, please forward them to gpxtopoi@optonline.net

njphilwt:
    I just noticed this post today. Good work on the program. Before reading this, I finished placing all my points into a Mapsource file so I haven't had the opportunity to try it yet. I placed the points manually by naming the Waypoint with a speed and number nomenclature [25mph(10), 55mph(105), etc.] The number corresponds to the entry number in an excel file, the speed to the file itself. This way I can see the location and easily correct the excel to cvs file if need be. The comment is the same as the cvs description, and a symbol is assigned to each speed catagory. Each point is assigned a classification based on the state. This enables me to view only those points in the Mapsource/Excel/cvs file belonging to a particular state. Since I am also adding other states to this "Virginia and Surrounds" database, this method will allow me to easily re-create these files specifically by state. And eventually will be able to provide speed and proximity files by specific states.

My question in general is do you see this program providing the capacity in the future to add a name (w/sequence #), clasification or symbol in addition to the coordinates and descriptions? This would be a great aid for anybody creating state databases from randomly assigned points.
    Go to Top of Page

njphilwt

USA
    696 Posts

Posted - 20 oct. 2005 :  02:48:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    quote:

My question in general is do you see this program providing the capacity in the future to add a name (w/sequence #), clasification or symbol in addition to the coordinates and descriptions? This would be a great aid for anybody creating state databases from randomly assigned points.

Actually, I downloaded your files before, and was thinking about some changes to the program already. I converted a few of your files to GPX to see how they looked in MapSource, and was thinking that it would be nice if I could load all of them into MapSource at once.

Can you provide some more detail on what you are envisioning?

Go to Top of Page

redcloud

USA
    427 Posts

Posted - 20 oct. 2005 :  14:41:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    After the cvs > gpx conversion, classify each Waypoint by state and then creating different cvs files by state through the gpx > cvs conversion based on the classification.
    Go to Top of Page

njphilwt

USA
    696 Posts

Posted - 20 oct. 2005 :  18:15:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    quote:

After the cvs > gpx conversion, classify each Waypoint by state and then creating different cvs files by state through the gpx > cvs conversion based on the classification.

Ok, so what if you could load in all of the CSV files, and then the description field would have "55mph". Then when you convert back to CSV, it would create the individual files again. Is that what you were thinking?

Go to Top of Page

redcloud

USA
    427 Posts

Posted - 21 oct. 2005 :  01:58:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    quote:

Ok, so what if you could load in all of the CSV files, and then the description field would have "55mph". Then when you convert back to CSV, it would create the individual files again. Is that what you were thinking?

I'm not sure. Now that I have the gpx file which has the "classification" fields listed by individual states, I would like to do the gpx to cvs conversion to seperate files based on the classification. I would like to leave the "comment" field intact since these are the desciption fields of the cvs file. The name of the Waypoint is called by the speed classification of the cvs file with the numbering corresponding to the line of the cvs file.
    Go to Top of Page

ted414

50 Posts

Posted - 22 oct. 2005 :  22:19:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    My MapSource will open .gpx
    Go to Top of Page

hcornea

Australia
    599 Posts

Posted - 23 oct. 2005 :  10:53:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by ted414

My MapSource will open .gpx

Mapsource will open .gpx, but for some reason not the .gpx that POIEdit creates.

This does not present so much of problem anymore

The POI > GPX program is fantastic. Thanks njphilwt!

It would be great if it preserved the descriptions as a fourth column
    Go to Top of Page

njphilwt

USA
    696 Posts

Posted - 23 oct. 2005 :  15:15:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    It appears that Garmin was more focused on exporting GPX than on importing. It was clearly tested only on importing its own files.

Since GPX is a standard, you wouldn't expect it. But MapSource is fussy, and there are a few seemingly unimportant fields where if they're not exactly right, they will cause MapSource to say it can't import the file.

I appreciate the comments and have been tweaking my program based on helpful comments here.

Regarding preserving the description, I haven't tried loading a CSV with an extra column into the GPS unit. Assuming the POI loader drops the column, there shouldn't be a problem doing this.

But my question is, would you really want to use the POI (CSV) file as the master, anyway? Why not just keep the MapSource GPX as the master, and share it along with the CSV?

Go to Top of Page

redcloud

USA
    427 Posts

Posted - 23 oct. 2005 :  19:30:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    [i]NOTE BY GPSPASSION no quoting unless you need to, saves space on the server ;-)

I do have a GPX master which is now in the process of accumulating several different states. This serves my purpose well since these are the states I am most concerned with. The problem is that I have the cvs files which don't differntiate between various states (since these are the states I am most concerned with, I have no need to change this). For the purpose of posting seperate states (and not one batch like "Virginia and Surrounds (or later Virginia, Maryland, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, DC, and surronds, etc.) to the POIUSA list, it would be best for the individual user to decide which states he/she would be interested in. Trying to create just one set of Canada/USA speed trap upload cvs files would be a nightmare in updating and coordinating revisions and would not be usefull to everybody.
    Go to Top of Page

njphilwt

USA
    696 Posts

Posted - 27 oct. 2005 :  18:16:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    A new version of GPXtoPOI is now available with added capabilities for special conversions.

The following is the download link:

Go to Top of Page

redcloud

USA
    427 Posts

Posted - 28 oct. 2005 :  16:01:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    njphilwt:
    Thanks for the program. With the catagory filter, I was able to quickly (instantly) seperate the speed catagories by state. I have requested GpsPassion to allow me to substitute Virginia and Surrounds with Virginia, Maryland, DC and shortly, West Virginia. I will now include the DC area redlight cameras, photo cameras, and redlight cops in with the states in which they belong.
    Good Work on the program!

Edited by - redcloud on 28 oct. 2005 23:01:45
    Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 29 oct. 2005 :  03:02:47  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
    Again, gpspassion [@] gmail is the best way to reach me rather than via the forums as messages get lost in the notifications ;-)
    Anyway, not a problem, just tell me which name you used to upload them on the server and I'll add the links.

redcloud

USA
    427 Posts

Posted - 29 oct. 2005 :  03:45:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    AGAIN, DO NOT QUOTE A POST JUST ABOVE YOURS, USES SERVER SPACE, THANKS

Unfortunantly, I'm not sure what the trouble is but I am not able to communicate with you. Could you please elaborate on the specific steps and specific address?
    This is basically what I am trying to convey:
    "I will upload the following:

Virginia Speed Traps
    Maryland Speed Traps
    DC Speed Traps

These new files will replace the "Virginia Speed Traps and Surrounds" and the "Red Light Cameras - USA/DC".

The new files are more current, and are now specific to individual states. The "Red Light Cameras" are now seperated into the various state files.

After I upload these files, I would suggest you delete the VA and Surrounds and the Red Light Cam files.
    Thank you,
    Redcloud"
    Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 29 oct. 2005 :  03:57:32  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
    Well just send an email to the adress above if you have OT/personal questions, if not using the forums is the prefered approach, let us know when you're done uploading.

redcloud

USA
    427 Posts

Posted - 30 oct. 2005 :  19:25:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    I have uploaded the following files:
    1) Virginia Speed Traps
    2) Maryland Speed Traps
    3) West Virginia Speed Traps
    4) DC Speed Traps (mostly redlight cameras)
    5) BMPs for Speed Traps Files
    Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 31 oct. 2005 :  21:56:27  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
    Got them, best to avoid spaces in the names as URL's don't like that much ;-) And again if you need to contact me use this address gpspassion [@] gmail do not send a message via the forums as they get lumped in with a ton of other mail.

Added to the first message as well as GPStoPOI ;-)

hcornea

Australia
    599 Posts

Posted - 02 nov. 2005 :  04:42:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    quote:

Regarding preserving the description, I haven't tried loading a CSV with an extra column into the GPS unit. Assuming the POI loader drops the column, there shouldn't be a problem doing this.

But my question is, would you really want to use the POI (CSV) file as the master, anyway? Why not just keep the MapSource GPX as the master, and share it along with the CSV?

The description comes up on the c320 when you pull up the screen with the big Go! button. Useful for additional info - eg phone no, street address (OK, not for speedcams) but is useful for other POI, such as restaurants, attractions etc.

So - not just useful for master purposes. The c320 actually uses the fourth column
    Go to Top of Page

kruff10

USA
    13 Posts

Posted - 05 nov. 2005 :  01:26:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    HI ALL, I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHERE I CAN GET THE RED LIGHT CAMS POI`S FOR MARYLAND AND VA?
    Go to Top of Page

njphilwt

USA
    696 Posts

Posted - 05 nov. 2005 :  03:30:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by kruff10

HI ALL, I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHERE I CAN GET THE RED LIGHT CAMS POI`S FOR MARYLAND AND VA?

The links are at the top of this thread. If you still can't find them, feel free to send me an e-mail.

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 05 nov. 2005 :  12:34:59  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
    Can't see how he could miss them...and let's keep exchanges within the forums as much as possible if not we're going to get swamped ;-)

kruff10

USA
    13 Posts

Posted - 06 nov. 2005 :  03:42:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    those seem to be just icons, i need the real deal
    Go to Top of Page

njphilwt

USA
    696 Posts

Posted - 06 nov. 2005 :  03:52:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    The ones that are available are at the link #2:

2. Red Light Cameras provided by Redcloud - USA/DC Area - > link <

You'll have to download the file to see if it cover the area you're looking for.

Go to Top of Page

kruff10

USA
    13 Posts

Posted - 06 nov. 2005 :  17:01:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    OK I HAVE THE DC RED LIGHT CAMS POIS, BUT I NEED THE ONES FOR MARYLAND AND VA. ALSO WHAT CAN I DO WITH MAP SOURCE AS IT RELATES TO MY GARMIN 2720?
    Go to Top of Page

njphilwt

USA
    696 Posts

Posted - 06 nov. 2005 :  17:25:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    quote:

OK I HAVE THE DC RED LIGHT CAMS POIS, BUT I NEED THE ONES FOR MARYLAND AND VA. ALSO WHAT CAN I DO WITH MAP SOURCE AS IT RELATES TO MY GARMIN 2720?

I don't know that anyone has posted what you're looking for. RedCould has been doing the DC/VA/MD work, so we'll have to see if he has any comments on the subject.

If you're interested in how you can use MapSource with the 2720, see my (long) post on 10/1/05:

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38480

Go to Top of Page

kruff10

USA
    13 Posts

Posted - 06 nov. 2005 :  20:33:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    quote:

quote:

I don't know that anyone has posted what you're looking for. RedCould has been doing the DC/VA/MD work, so we'll have to see if he has any comments on the subject.

If you're interested in how you can use MapSource with the 2720, see my (long) post on 10/1/05:

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38480

OK I HAVE ANOTHER QUESTION, I WAS OUT DRIVING TODAY IN MD AND DC AND I NOTICED A SOME SPEED CAMS, AND RED LIGHT CAMS , HOW DO I GET THOSE INTO MY GARMIN 2720? IS THERE SOMTHING I CAN DO TO GET THOSE INTO MY UNIT WHAT SOFTWARE DO I NEED?
    Go to Top of Page

kruff10

USA
    13 Posts

Posted - 06 nov. 2005 :  20:43:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    I HAVE TONS OF QUESTIONS LOL. HOW DO I GET OVERLAYS OF THE POSTED SPEED LIMMITS ONTO MY GARMIN 2720?
    Go to Top of Page

redcloud

USA
    427 Posts

Posted - 06 nov. 2005 :  20:59:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    If anyone has additional information that is not included in the POIs currently available, please send them to me so that I can update the files and repost. This is about the only way to keep these files up to date. I have come across one or 2 speed traps that were not included in the original files, so I update these as I go along.
    Look for Baltimore,MD redlight cameras to be posted soon.
    Go to Top of Page

njphilwt

USA
    696 Posts

Posted - 06 nov. 2005 :  21:06:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    You can certainly build your own POI databases. Once they're done, you also could share them with others in the community (here).

One way to do this would be as follows:

1. As you drive and notice a camera, tap the screen on your Garmin unit, and save the location as a waypoint. (It should automatically assign a number, such as, 001, then 002, etc...)

2. When you get home, upload the locations into MapSource. You should rename them to make them unique in MapSource (i.e. 110605-001@25, where the date is tagged on the front, the 001 was assigned by the GPS, and the @25 is the speed limit.)

3. Using simple select all, copy, and paste, merge them with your master listing of cameras in MapSource. (You don't have a master now, but I assume you will be building one.)

4. Save the Master Waypoint file as a GPX.

5. Using GPXtoPOI, convert the GPX file to a POI file (with a CSV extension).

6. Using Garmin's POI loader (which you can download from Garmin's site), load the POI/CSV file into your 2720.

Obviously it takes some dedication to do all of this work, but once you've done it a couple of times, it gets easier.

GPXtoPOI is available here:

The Garmin POI loader:

http://www.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=927

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 06 nov. 2005 :  21:46:32  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
    quote:

If anyone has additional information that is not included in the POIs currently available, please send them to me so that I can update the files and repost
    Actually the way we've done it in the FRA forums is just have people post new POI info in the thead so it will be available for reference in case the email gets lost, etc...Naturally if we start getting a lot of theses we'll start different threads based on the POI category.

Got your comments about the header, but again, let's use this thread to discuss any POI related matters, more interactive and won't get lost in a ton of email ;-)

@kruff10 - please stop SHOUTING (all caps on the internet)

@njphilwt - excellent steps, will link them from the first message here.

Updated the first message, let me know what you think ;-)

redcloud

USA
    427 Posts

Posted - 06 nov. 2005 :  22:58:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    I noticed the method of contributing POIs. The data is managed by the administrator. This is excellent.

Edited by - redcloud on 06 nov. 2005 23:06:13
    Go to Top of Page

kruff10

USA
    13 Posts

Posted - 06 nov. 2005 :  23:16:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    I also would like to know how to put speed info on my garmin to display on my unit, how do i do this?
    Go to Top of Page

redcloud

USA
    427 Posts

Posted - 06 nov. 2005 :  23:22:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    Download the POI Loader from the Garmin website.
    Go to Top of Page

kruff10

USA
    13 Posts

Posted - 07 nov. 2005 :  00:00:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    quote:

Download the POI Loader from the Garmin website.

how can i use the little speed icons? example 20, 30, 40, mph ect.
    Go to Top of Page

redcloud

USA
    427 Posts

Posted - 07 nov. 2005 :  01:07:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    I have uploaded Baltimore Red Light Cameras. This should be included in the Maryland Speed Traps, Redlight.cvs file. Also, "b. DC SpeedTraps by Redcloud" have separated out those cameras in DC from surrounding areas. Those surrounding areas are now included in the camera files for the particular state; therefore, 2.Red Light Cameras provided by Redcloud - USA/DC Area are redundant.
    Go to Top of Page

hcornea

Australia
    599 Posts

Posted - 07 nov. 2005 :  07:58:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    Might have the email address wrong, but I have updated the Australian speedcams and sent a mail. (might need moving to the POIinUSA directory to match the link

Some revised / deleted

New file be on upload directory (same name)
    Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 08 nov. 2005 :  01:54:47  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
    First page updated, Australia is now a v3 !
    I'm not totally clear on the Baltimore situation ? Could you maybe list them out the way they should be? Also files (zip or csv) can't be merged easily from the server so it's best to do that on your PC and then upload the .zip the way it should be.

redcloud

USA
    427 Posts

Posted - 08 nov. 2005 :  14:53:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    I have uploaded the following:

1. Redcloud_SpeedTraps_DC.zip
    2. Redcloud_SpeedTraps_MD.zip
    3. Redcloud_SpeedTraps_VA.zip
    4. Redcloud_SpeedTraps_WV.zip

These will replace (update) all the previous files submitted, ie.
    DC SpeedTraps by Redcloud, Maryland SpeedTraps by Redcloud, Virginia SpeedTraps by Redcloud, West Virginia SpeedTraps by Redcloud.
    Each zip file contains (if applicable for that state) speed trap locations by speed, photo speed cameras, redlight cameras, and redlight cops.
    Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 09 nov. 2005 :  01:23:25  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
    thanks, index updated!

kruff10

USA
    13 Posts

Posted - 09 nov. 2005 :  14:04:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    How do i get the location info from my gps for a poi?
    Go to Top of Page

kruff10

USA
    13 Posts

Posted - 09 nov. 2005 :  14:09:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    i have a question redcloud what is a speed trap and what will be seen on my gps screnn as it relates to a warning messege?
    Go to Top of Page

4tay

3 Posts

Posted - 09 nov. 2005 :  17:02:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    Redcloud's files are not available.

Also, is there a way to combine the POI files so that I can get all of the speed traps in one file and so on?
    Go to Top of Page

njphilwt

USA
    696 Posts

Posted - 09 nov. 2005 :  17:05:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    You can use GPXtoPOI to combine the files.

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 09 nov. 2005 :  18:57:19  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
    @4tay - welcome to the forums, links fixed, thanks for pointing this out.

4tay

3 Posts

Posted - 09 nov. 2005 :  20:14:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    quote:

You can use GPXtoPOI to combine the files.

How do you combine files?
    Go to Top of Page

redcloud

USA
    427 Posts

Posted - 09 nov. 2005 :  21:00:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    I tried using njphilwt's method of combining files. Unfortunantly, when converting cvs to gpx, the integrity of the files are changed. The names are no longer 25mph(1), 25mph(2), etc., but are changed to the description. So the when you view the Waypoints on Mapsource, this will not indicate what the posted speed is. It is then necessary to have seperate gpx files for each posted speed, camera, etc. so that when converted back to POIs, all the Waypoints will be under in one file so that the corresponding icon can be used. Therefore, you cannot have a master file for all of the speeds, cameras, etc. combined because you wouldn't be able to seperate them out by catagory. Also, you must convert each individual speed cvs file seperately and then repeat for each state.
    I would suggest merging each cvs speed or camera for all the states.
    When I select custom POIs, the display is 20mph, 25mph, 30mph, etc. When I select on of these, then the descriptions are displayed in order of distance from my current location.
    When I set up my master gpx file, using the GPXtoPOI program allowed me to very easily seperate them out into individual states. May be njphilwt
    can find a way to reverse engineer the sequence.

Go to Top of Page

4tay

3 Posts

Posted - 09 nov. 2005 :  22:42:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    The way I did it the last time you posted your POIs was to just cut an paste the data into one main file so that it was an overall file for all POIs in each category. So I had one file for Redlights, 25mph, etc.. it did work that way. however it was very time consuming.
    Go to Top of Page

ul

7 Posts

Posted - 15 nov. 2005 :  00:49:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    How do you get the POI Loader to work on the 2610? It says "Some devices were found, however, none have the necessary capabilities. Please make sure your device is connected & turned on [it is], then try again. You may also need to set the interface option on your GPS to Garmin or Host. [can't find these options]

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 15 nov. 2005 :  01:12:50  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
    Not compatible with the 2610, sorry.

ul

7 Posts

Posted - 15 nov. 2005 :  01:58:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    Oh. You might want to edit or put a note by the second post then, where the poster says "By the way, custom POIs work with any Garmin navigation unit like the 26xx ..."

Or do custom POIs work with the 26xx but the POI loader doesn't work with it?
    Go to Top of Page

njphilwt

USA
    696 Posts

Posted - 15 nov. 2005 :  02:46:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    There's one exception: While the 26xx doesn't have proximity alerts for custom POI's, the ones that are for places (such as Wal-mart's and Fying J's) can be converted to Waypoints, and then loaded into your 26xx that way.

Go to Top of Page

hcornea

Australia
    599 Posts

Posted - 23 nov. 2005 :  13:14:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    The new version of POIEdit has been released.

I asked Dave (dnote software) to include support for Garmin csv, and to modify csv format so that Mapsource will read them. He has done this in the latest release (ver 3.8)

Download (free) at www.poiedit.com

I also sent him a donation - and I would encourage anyone who has used the software and found it useful to do the same.

Cheers

Edited by - hcornea on 23 nov. 2005 13:16:04
    Go to Top of Page

redcloud

USA
    427 Posts

Posted - 24 nov. 2005 :  17:44:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    Could someone explain what poiedit does? The main emphasis seems to be to map locations using MapQuest or MapBlast. Since the Garmin uses Mapsource this would be a useless feature.
    I'm not sure if this program converts between the various formats. If so, this would be useful for converting to cvs. Is there a help file besides the FAQ?
    Go to Top of Page

kruff10

USA
    13 Posts

Posted - 25 nov. 2005 :  03:29:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    Can anyone tell me where i can get icons from that i can use on my 2720 as overlays for points of interest and how do i put them on my garmin, the ones that are on map source kinda suck and are generic.
    Go to Top of Page

hcornea

Australia
    599 Posts

Posted - 25 nov. 2005 :  11:44:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    quote:

Could someone explain what poiedit does? The main emphasis seems to be to map locations using MapQuest or MapBlast. Since the Garmin uses Mapsource this would be a useless feature.
    I'm not sure if this program converts between the various formats. If so, this would be useful for converting to cvs. Is there a help file besides the FAQ?

POIedit does have a map view (of Benelux), ie not useful if you live elsewhere in the world.

It has facility to autoupdate several POI sites (in Europe and US).

It converts formats (eg tom tom .ov2 and others) to GPX (now works with Garmin) and now (with the most recent release) to Garmin .csv.

The map is useless to me, but the most useful feature I find is the "Find Duplicates" feature which enables you to flag POIs which are within a certain distance of each other (eg 5metres, 100 metres). This is great for detecting accidental duplicates, or amalgamating lists from a number of sources)

The map possibly can be calibrated, but I find saving as GPX and checking against the Garmin maps much more useful.

Checking duplicates, and converting a large number of different formats are the most useful features.
    Go to Top of Page

kruff10

USA
    13 Posts

Posted - 28 nov. 2005 :  22:59:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    Can anyone tell me where i can get custom icons from that i can use on my 2720 as overlays for points of interest and how do i put them on my garmin, the ones that are on map source kinda suck and are generic.
    Go to Top of Page

hcornea

Australia
    599 Posts

Posted - 08 déc. 2005 :  00:30:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    If you have downloaded the speedcam file for Australia, and have noted errors / corrections - please email me with the correction / addition details. 9via the Personal Mail icon on the message)

If you could give details of the incorrect entry and what you think is wrong with it, I'd greatly appreciate it.

If anyone has school zones for VIC or other states, please email me!

Always interested in other POI collections.

ADMIN NOTE: Ver4 uploaded with some updates

Edited by - hcornea on 10 déc. 2005 16:40:18
    Go to Top of Page

njphilwt

USA
    696 Posts

Posted - 10 déc. 2005 :  16:00:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    I just added a new POI file. It contains 525 Friendly's Restaurants. For the those who don't know, Friendly's is an East coast food and ice cream chain that has been around since 1935.

Every generation has a different memory of Friendly's. After 25 years away from them, I have started going again with my family, and the new menu is amazingly good (although the buildings need some work).

City Navigator actually has most of the locations already loaded. But, since CN is not as up to date as this list, it contains some locations that no longer exist. That's why I built this file.

http://......(file moved, link edited see first page)

This file took some effort to produce, but it looks pretty good. I spot checked a bunch of the POIs using both MapSource and Google Earth, and was pretty happy with the results. In the end there were only 3 locations I couldn't find.

The POI names are long and include the City, state and phone number. They also indicate "Mall" if it's in a shopping center.

Enjoy!

Edited by - njphilwt on 10 déc. 2005 16:03:24
    Go to Top of Page

hcornea

Australia
    599 Posts

Posted - 10 déc. 2005 :  16:38:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    NO QUOTING OF A MESSAGE DIRECTLY ABOVE YOURS, THANKS, KEEPS THE SERVER HAPPY ;-)

Have you considered moving the street address and phone number into the fourth column of the CSV. You could have the suburb as the major heading (which appears off the POI menu)

That way it will show up on the information screen, but not clutter the display generally. If you insert the appropriate characters you can even have line breaks in the description (similar to the native POIs built in to the Maps)

Seriously .. a compilation of >500 waypoints is a great deal of work

Just a suggestion .... Friendly's stores are a little out of range for me - that is unless you were including East Coast of Australia.
    Go to Top of Page

njphilwt

USA
    696 Posts

Posted - 10 déc. 2005 :  17:59:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    I had no idea that would work. Is this in the documentation somewhere?

Anyway, thanks. I will probably change all of my files now...

Go to Top of Page

njphilwt

USA
    696 Posts

Posted - 10 déc. 2005 :  21:12:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    I have re-uploaded the Friendly's file. The new ZIP includes the GPX version for MapSource browsing.

I have also modified GPXtoPOI to support the fourth line, and will be posting a new version on my site soon.

Thanks again to hcornea for the info on the fourth POI file parameter.

Go to Top of Page

njphilwt

USA
    696 Posts

Posted - 10 déc. 2005 :  21:20:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    I have uploaded a new version of the Flying J database, which uses the fourth CSV parameter and also has a few address revisions.

Go to Top of Page

njphilwt

USA
    696 Posts

Posted - 10 déc. 2005 :  21:41:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    I have uploaded two new files with Truck Stops:

(files moved, links edited see first page)

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 11 déc. 2005 :  00:44:11  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
    New files moved and added to the list on the first page ;-)
    Interesting tip about the format, need to take a closer look.

Jumperalex

USA
    41 Posts

Posted - 14 déc. 2005 :  00:07:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    Ok so I'm still a little confused. I don't see how GPXtoPOI allows me to combine the various speed cameras etc. I'm trying to load all the data into my c340 and I'm assuming it must all be loaded at once from a single directory since everytime I load up the next state's data it overwrites the previously loaded POI data. It seems pretty time consuming to use excel combine all the various 20mph.cvs together into a single file.

what is the solution to doing this easily? or is there one?

EDIT: Ok it would seem that using notepad is slightly easier than excel, but even easier is POIedit and the "append" function. I didn't see anyone mention that and gpxtopoi doesn't seem to have any easy way to compbine a bunch of similar category files into a single master category file. So PIOedit it is.

Next question: "speed traps" are defined as???? a place where a cop always seems to sit?

I'm moving to the DC area in march hence my interest. I'll be living in MD, working in Crystal City, and visiting VA often I'm sure.

Edited by - Jumperalex on 14 déc. 2005 00:51:26
    Go to Top of Page

njphilwt

USA
    696 Posts

Posted - 14 déc. 2005 :  04:25:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    GPXtoPOI has two ways of combining multiple files in a POI to GPX conversion:

1. When you select the input file, you can "multi-select" multiple files by holding down the control key and clicking on them.

2. You can use a profile to specify a wildcard and tell it to name the waypoints using a combination of the original CSV filename and the POI name. Here's a sample profile (GTP file):

[Profile]

Input=D:\POIwork\*.CSV

Output=D:\POIwork\Combined.GPX

;
    ; <Fn-n> (CSV FileName characters n-n)
    ; <Dn-n> (POI Description)
    ; <T> (Comment Text from fourth CSV parameter)
    ; <S> (Speed)
    ;
    GenerateWaypointName=<F><D>@<F1-2>
    GenerateWaypointComment=
    GenerateCategory=
    GenerateIconName=

Edited by - njphilwt on 14 déc. 2005 05:58:55
    Go to Top of Page

Jumperalex

USA
    41 Posts

Posted - 14 déc. 2005 :  05:29:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    ahh see you guys didn't SAY that before :) well ... I did manage to make poiedit do it using "append" and it is pretty user friendly. the only thing that would be better, and perhaps this is something that gpsto-csv could add, is the ability to select several files at once and have them joined via "append" or the profile you mentioned. or does your profile allow that already?

Also something I noticed as I was playing with csv files ... poiloader and my c340 don't seem to mind more than 4 fields. I was playing around trying to move the city and state info to the next line on my 340 (to look like pre-loaded listings) and I just did it by editing this:

-106.745932,35.078479,"Flying J - Albuquerque - NM","I-40 Exit 153 - (505) 831-2001"

to look like this:

-106.745932,35.078479,Flying J,Albuquerque,MN,I-40 Exit 153,(505) 831-2001

and it seemed to work fine although I can't seem to get line brakes to make the listing looking like the pre-loaded Flying J listings. what is going on? how many fields can it really read? poiloader and the garmin don't seem to care [shrug]. I've been searching for some sort of spec for poi's and how they are parsed into the garmin but can't seem to find anything other than the fact that older units might not be able to handle poi's from newer sources.
    Go to Top of Page

njphilwt

USA
    696 Posts

Posted - 14 déc. 2005 :  06:02:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    The POI loader has a help file that describes the format, but is doesn't say anything about the 4th column.

The loader definitely handles 4 columns, and I think that all text from the 4th column on is just considered part of the 4th column, which can contain one or more commas. There's no way that I have found to force line breaks (I've tried several methods), but I can live with it this way.

On the subject of combining files, GPXtoPOI can combine several CSV's into a GPX, but it doesn't have a way to combine/append several CSV files into a larger CSV file. That's just so easy to do with notepad, that I hadn't considered providing such a feature.

But the sample profile above (I just revised it a bit) will take all of the files with a name such as "60mph.csv" and load them into a single GPX file with waypoints names of 60mphDescription@60, etc. You can then convert that GPX file into a single CSV, which will have the speeds (e.g. @60) appended as appropriate.

Edited by - njphilwt on 14 déc. 2005 06:03:04
    Go to Top of Page

Jumperalex

USA
    41 Posts

Posted - 14 déc. 2005 :  06:39:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    re: poiloader ... ahh guess that makes sense .. too bad about the line breaks

re: joining ... well simple in notepad perhaps ... fast not quite :) but like I said, "append" in poiedit seems to work pretty quickly. Much quicker than using notepad. Just open the first file, then start appending each file you need in succession. the find duplicate function is nice to in case I'm appending files with the same data interspersed in there, or I was dumb and tried to append the first file I opened :)

I'm not sure I'm clear on the @60 thing. as far as I can tell poiloader does a good job of automatically taking a file "60mph.csv" and recognizing that it is a speed alert point. Am I to understand that it is taking care of adding the @60 before it uploads to the unit? and that is all the conversion from csv->gpx->cvs will accomplish? if so that is good info though it doesn't seem like I need to worry about it at this point. might need to later.

Ok ... looking closer at the unit it appears as if poiloader hasn't recognized the "photo" poi's as proximity alerts. might have to play with that.. might have to use manual instead of express. But it sounds like what you are talking about might help that.

Ok looked at the help files ... I see what you are saying about the @60 thing. I guess the poi files from the first page in this thread are using the alternate option to use speed encoded file names. looks like using "camera" instead of "photo" will solve my problem... Yup that did it. Sorry if this stream of consciousness is annoying. I figure it is better than multiple posts [shrug]

thanks for the points in the right direction. I should ahve checked that helpfile sooner but frankly I'm so used to "help" in applications like the loader being useless beyond telling me the same things shown in the wizard pages. didn't expect some actual format data.

Garmin c340
    Go to Top of Page

njphilwt

USA
    696 Posts

Posted - 14 déc. 2005 :  06:54:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    No problem. Glad you're working it out.

Go to Top of Page

hcornea

Australia
    599 Posts

Posted - 14 déc. 2005 :  07:57:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    I'm pretty sure that line Breaks are possible.

The character is the same as that in the description field when you copy a POI from the map in Mapsource to your waypoints list.

In the description field, in the properties dialog box for the waypoint, there is a single line including characters which insert a line break (eg for an address).

I'm fairly certain I've used this for POIs also

Not sure what the character is .. I 've just cut and pasted it!
    Go to Top of Page

Jumperalex

USA
    41 Posts

Posted - 14 déc. 2005 :  08:03:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    hum .. could you include a link to a file with this character pasted into it? chances are it has an ascii code, maybe we could figure it out [shrug] I don't have mapsource (didn't come with c340) so I can't do what you did.

Garmin c340
    Go to Top of Page

njphilwt

USA
    696 Posts

Posted - 14 déc. 2005 :  13:42:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    The mystery character is LineFeed (ASCII 10), and it doesn't work with POIs. The POI loader gives an "invalid character" error.

Sorry guys.

Go to Top of Page

hcornea

Australia
    599 Posts

Posted - 14 déc. 2005 :  14:35:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    Sorry njphilwt and others.

My mistake

Character works in Mapsource descriptors - but not on POIs.
    Go to Top of Page

Jumperalex

USA
    41 Posts

Posted - 14 déc. 2005 :  14:41:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    arrrgggg you people!!! You get my hopes up and then you dash them ... what type of human being would do that!!!! hehe oh well, thanks for all the help still :)

Garmin c340
    Go to Top of Page

redcloud

USA
    427 Posts

Posted - 17 déc. 2005 :  23:19:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    I have uploaded updated speed trap files for Virginia and Maryland. Thanks to information provided by lcubed, I have added 40+ Redlight camera files for the Montgomery County area of Maryland. Also, I have cleaned up the Virginia files which adds aproximately a dozen locations.
    Go to Top of Page

gtay

USA
    35 Posts

Posted - 23 déc. 2005 :  17:17:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    Hello,

I'm not exactly a neophyte with a GPS or computers, however, I have a couple of questions that Ive tried to solve myself (kind of like the way I used to hate to stop and ask directions!!!) but rather than fight it any longer I'm looking for help. I've downloaded the excellent waypoints for Flying J, Friendlys, Pilot, and Petro and have run them through POIloader onto an SD card. My nuvi recognizes them but I can't get them into MapSource. MapSource sees the SD card but limits the upload selection to "Maps", it won't accept Waypoints. Houston is in the process of installing cameras at approximately 100 stop lights and I would like to be able to contribute those locations to a waypoint file if I can figure out this glitch.

Thanks
    Go to Top of Page

njphilwt

USA
    696 Posts

Posted - 24 déc. 2005 :  05:54:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    When you load the CSV file with POIloader, you're loading custom POI's -- not Waypoints.

All of the zip files that I have uploaded (i.e. all the ones you mentioned) contain a GPX file that you can load directly into MapSource. Just double click on the GPX file, and MapSource should open it.

With other CSV files, you can use GPXtoPOI to convert from the CSV(POI) file to GPX. Then you can open the GPX in MapSource.

Once you're in MapSource, you should be able to download the Waypoints to your unit.

When it comes to creating your own POIs, you can use MapSource to create them. Then save the MapSource file as a GPX and use GPXtoPOI to convert it to a CSV file.

Phil

Edited by - njphilwt on 24 déc. 2005 05:55:32
    Go to Top of Page

gtay

USA
    35 Posts

Posted - 24 déc. 2005 :  17:09:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    Phil,

Thank you for the info. I now feel exactly like I used to when I'd finally stop at the gas station and was told that the post office was on the corner that I had circled five times!!

Gale
    Go to Top of Page

redcloud

USA
    427 Posts

Posted - 25 déc. 2005 :  16:20:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    I have uploaded speed trap locations for Pennsylvania, Delaware, New Jersey, New York, and North Carolina.
    Go to Top of Page

Bacco

USA
    18 Posts

Posted - 25 déc. 2005 :  18:46:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    Thanks RedCould.

You've just about covered my entire trip to my daughter's college. Now if you can get up here to CT, that would complete my trip

Seriously though, where do you get all this info?

Happy Holidays to all.
    Go to Top of Page

redcloud

USA
    427 Posts

Posted - 25 déc. 2005 :  20:48:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    The story should be on the first or second page of this topic.
    Go to Top of Page

Bacco

USA
    18 Posts

Posted - 25 déc. 2005 :  22:38:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    Got it, thanks RedCloud. I visited the 2 sites...how were you able to convert the exit references to Lat. & Long. coordinates? Other than visiting referenced point.

Thanks.

Edited by - Bacco on 25 déc. 2005 23:00:37
    Go to Top of Page

Jumperalex

USA
    41 Posts

Posted - 26 déc. 2005 :  01:02:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    Well I would guess, if you know the exit number you can look it up on mapsource which has lat/long info. that would seem to give the info needed. :shrug

Garmin c340
    Go to Top of Page

Bacco

USA
    18 Posts

Posted - 26 déc. 2005 :  02:58:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    Thanks JumperAlex...forgive me, this is my first GPS. So my questions will seem ignorant.
    Go to Top of Page

Jumperalex

USA
    41 Posts

Posted - 26 déc. 2005 :  03:20:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    oh no no ... i was just guessing, hence why I said "I would guess" hehe This is MY first, though I did have some prior experience with a friends old street pilot a few years ago. but I didn't get to hack around with it like I have this one :) I'm also moving to DC in march which mean I'm REALLY interested in all the POI's being uploaded for that area :)

Garmin c340
    Go to Top of Page

hcornea

Australia
    599 Posts

Posted - 26 déc. 2005 :  14:04:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    Good to see you've been putting your holidays to good use, Redcloud!
    Go to Top of Page

peisre

USA
    4 Posts

Posted - 27 déc. 2005 :  18:00:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    quote:

I have uploaded speed trap locations for Pennsylvania, Delaware, New Jersey, New York, and North Carolina.

Hi redcloud,
    Where can I find these files?
    Thanks,
    Pedro
    Go to Top of Page

redcloud

USA
    427 Posts

Posted - 27 déc. 2005 :  19:11:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    They should be available as soon as gpspassion posts them.
    Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 28 déc. 2005 :  23:43:50  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
    Sorry, I'm only seeing a VirginiaSpeedTrapsbyRedcloud.zip file from 12/19, can you reup or send them to me on gpspassion [@] gmail.com so I can link them.

hcornea

Australia
    599 Posts

Posted - 01 janv. 2006 :  04:39:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    Australian Speedcams ver5 uploaded.

Includes more victorian school zones.

Some speedcams were just plain wrong!

Please mail me via this page if you find errors / ommissions or the like.
    Go to Top of Page

EyeSpy

USA
    16 Posts

Posted - 05 janv. 2006 :  22:04:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    Just uploaded a file and .bmp for All of the Target stores in the US. This was imported from MapPoint, where I have a file. Let me know if there is anything further you may need or if the file did not upload correctly. File is in .csv...
    Go to Top of Page

fam123

5 Posts

Posted - 06 janv. 2006 :  12:33:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    Hello,

I have uploaded POIs for the stores below for all of USA. My Nuvi 350 has many of the stores missing in upstate NY. Hope this helps. Thanks.

Costco
    Sam's Club
    Walmart (Including Supercenters)

FAM123

P.S. Anyone has any NYS (including NYC) related POIs?

Edited by - fam123 on 06 janv. 2006 12:34:30
    Go to Top of Page

hcornea

Australia
    599 Posts

Posted - 07 janv. 2006 :  02:21:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    Have you considered adding the files from this site to the .xml document on the GPSPassion POI autoupdate

at www.gpspassion/upload/poi-gpspassion.xml

Currently there are many French / European files there.

This would be a useful feature to those who use POIEdit to manage POI lists
    Go to Top of Page

Hook Em

14 Posts

Posted - 08 janv. 2006 :  07:22:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    Where are the files for the Target and WalMart stores - I cannot find them. Also, I e-mailed a listing of all the Texas Fuelman Fleet fueling locations that offer pay-at-the-pump. I have not seen those posted either.
    Go to Top of Page

hcornea

Australia
    599 Posts

Posted - 08 janv. 2006 :  08:13:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    have emailed gpspassion about linking to them ... currently theyre in the upload directory
    Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 08 janv. 2006 :  08:25:08  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
    Hey guys how about keeping an eye on portal http://www.gpspassion.com to see what's going on ;-) I'd like to have Redcloud's file to update everything at the same time anyway.

redcloud

USA
    427 Posts

Posted - 08 janv. 2006 :  15:01:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    I incorrectly stated that I had other speed files beyond VA, MD, DC, WV. I aplogize for the inconvenience.
    Go to Top of Page

njphilwt

USA
    696 Posts

Posted - 08 janv. 2006 :  15:28:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    I think we need a Best Buy list. It's going to be hard to do, because of how the site is set up for getting the location, but it is necessary. (I'm thinking of asking them to send a list -- we'll see.)

I was in L.A. over the holiday, and needed to do some last minute shopping. But the Best Buy's that came up were 5 and 10 miles away.

Usually that wouldn't be a problem, but in L.A. (at Christmas), 5 miles is an hour's drive.

Anyway, on the way back, I drove past a BB that was just a mile from where I was staying.

The Garmin POI DB is way out of date with BB's.

PS- In contrast (on a separate subject), they have EVERY AMC movie theatre in the country. AMC's are the only theatres we go to now (every one is clean and has stadium seating), and I built a list only to find out that the count matched the Garmin DB. So there you go...

Edited by - njphilwt on 08 janv. 2006 15:51:32
    Go to Top of Page

James1549

USA
    325 Posts

Posted - 10 janv. 2006 :  01:40:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    Hey guys, Last summer my wife and I took a NASCAR Trip to North Carolina. We stopped at many shops in 3 days and 2 nights. Take a look here: http://current.net/james1549/vacation

I took the information from my S&T Maps from my laptop I used to log the trip. Here is the [.csv] file I came up with. This is my first one, so BEWARE! Leave the spaces as is and it should come up spaced correctly.

http://current.net/james1549/NascarShops.csv

Have fun if you go, it is a blast if you enjoy Nascar.

James Yaeger, Jr.
    James1549
    Go to Top of Page

James1549

USA
    325 Posts

Posted - 10 janv. 2006 :  23:08:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    Here is the text version that some have asked about:

http://current.net/james1549/NascarShops.txt

James
    Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 18 janv. 2006 :  01:07:29  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
    quote:

I incorrectly stated that I had other speed files beyond VA, MD, DC, WV. I aplogize for the inconvenience.

Ok, that clears it up, back from CES now, so I'll catch up with the recent posts.

SRFast

USA
    195 Posts

Posted - 18 janv. 2006 :  04:37:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    Hi. I am new to POI and need your help. I've downloaded and unzipped all the posted US POIs and would like to load them onto my nuvi 350's SD card. What is the correct process? I've tried loading them as individual files using POI Loader, but it appears the newer files overwrite the older ones. Do I need to combine all the records into a single Excel spreadsheet before loading?

TIA....JL
    Go to Top of Page

James1549

USA
    325 Posts

Posted - 18 janv. 2006 :  04:56:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    All the files [.csv] you want loaded, must be in the same folder/directory and will be loaded all at the same time. And yes any files in the unit, will be overwritten. By loading more than one file at the same time, will give you [sub menus] in the [Custom POIs]. Good luck, James

Edited by - James1549 on 18 janv. 2006 04:58:54
    Go to Top of Page

SRFast

USA
    195 Posts

Posted - 18 janv. 2006 :  14:32:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    Thanks for your response. One more newbie question. Some of the files contain bitmap symbols. Where do I load them to - MapSource or GPS file?

Thanks again....JL
    Go to Top of Page

James1549

USA
    325 Posts

Posted - 18 janv. 2006 :  17:17:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    The bitmap [.bmp] files must be named the same as the [.csv] files and must be located in the same folder/directory. They will be transferred automatically if named properly. Good luck. James

Edited by - James1549 on 18 janv. 2006 17:17:56
    Go to Top of Page

Blueeyes

USA
    2 Posts

Posted - 21 janv. 2006 :  20:33:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    Where can I get the correct values for the lat./long. to program into my c330 POI's?
    Go to Top of Page

James1549

USA
    325 Posts

Posted - 22 janv. 2006 :  16:02:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    I am sure others will be able to tell you a better way. I use MapSource that I DL from the Garmin site. But since I have a 320, I have all my maps loaded on my PC harddrive. I am not sure what you need to do since the 330 doesn't come with a CD. Maybe purchase one.

While on this subject I also have a question. When I use MapSource and
    find the values of a particular intersection, I get this:

[N39 06.368 W84 34.396]

When I use MS Streets & Trips 2006 and locate the same intersection, I get this:

[39.10602N 84.57320W]

I realize the numbers are off a bit due to the software(?), but why is the format so different?

Is it possible to convert them back and forth and still be accurate?

James
    Go to Top of Page

redcloud

USA
    427 Posts

Posted - 22 janv. 2006 :  16:32:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    That one is easy. The first format is degrees/minutes (DD MM.MMM), the second one is degrees (DD.DDDDDD)
    There are 60 seconds per minute, 60 minutes per degree.
    Therefore N 39.10602 N = 39 06.3612 = N 39 06 21.67

Edited by - redcloud on 22 janv. 2006 16:33:25
    Go to Top of Page

hcornea

Australia
    599 Posts

Posted - 24 janv. 2006 :  13:01:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    James,

You can change Mapsource to display decimal degrees if you prefer in the preferences.

Edit | Preferences | (Position Tab)

Select hddd.ddddd, and use WGS84

I find these easier to work with for POIs .. but occasionally a source will use d,m,s notation.
    Go to Top of Page

redcloud

USA
    427 Posts

Posted - 24 janv. 2006 :  14:56:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    Now that the new POILoader has the GPXtoPOI capability, it seems that the logical posting of POIs should now be in GPX format.
    Go to Top of Page

Jumperalex

USA
    41 Posts

Posted - 24 janv. 2006 :  15:08:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    Do my eyes decieve me?

* Added support for reading POIs from GPX files. You can now create POIs in MapSource and load them in POI Loader. See product Help for more details.
    * Added support for comment lines in .CSV files that start with ';' or '#'. This allows .CSV files created by programs like PoiEdit to work without modifications.
    * Added support for a fourth column in the .CSV file for POI details. This was an unadvertised feature in 2.0.
    * Added support for embedded line-breaks in the name and comment fields of .CSV files. This allows you to enter multi-line comments like addresses. See product Help for more details.
    * Added support for longitude and latitude to be quoted.
    * Added Palm support to support the iQue 3000.
    * Increased maximum alert proximity range to 65km/37miles.
    * Monochrome images (1bit per pixel) are now sent to the unit correctly.
    * Fixed translation and layout issues for Japanese, Korean, and Chinese.

Garmin c340
    Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 24 janv. 2006 :  22:47:36  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
    Nope the're not ;-) Info posted in the POI-Loader thread too here http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=34316

Ok guys, thanks for your patience, got a bit busy with the CES show in Vegas earlier this month, long overdue update is up on the fist page, if you can make sure your files are listed over there, let's keep them coming !

One reminder to please include a PICTURE in .bmp format with your POI lists, format should be 22x22 and 256 colors if memory serves. I did make one for James' Nascar shops ;-)

James1549

USA
    325 Posts

Posted - 24 janv. 2006 :  23:08:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    I did submit a [.bmp] along with my NascarShop file. It is a small "X". I had the same exact [.bmp] that you have with it now, and it is a problem when I used it. It is way to big when using a c320. 24 X 24 is too big in my opinion to see exactly where the location is on the map. The smaller one works much better. James
    Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 24 janv. 2006 :  23:20:31  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
    Oops, actually I took the .csv file direct from your post above, didn't see a corresponding zip file, interesting we used the same pic ;-) Since the icons don't show up in navigation mode other than for alerts, are you really finding the larger size a problem ?

Jumperalex

USA
    41 Posts

Posted - 24 janv. 2006 :  23:27:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    wow I know I'm going to sound like an ungrateful prick but ... would it be possible to give date for each list? I mean if they were ALL updated on 24 Jan then that is great. but I'm assuming that won't always be the case. Having a date on the individual poi list would be helpful.

thanks for all the effort

Garmin c340
    Go to Top of Page

James1549

USA
    325 Posts

Posted - 24 janv. 2006 :  23:55:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    Actually I submitted a zip file as instructed on the first page.

I feel that when I "show map" on a particular Custom POI, the 24 X 24 bitmap is too large and can actually cover street names, etc... I prefer a small dot (default) or X.

James

PS - I have a copy of the [.csv] in its new format for the proper line breaks. Do you want/need the update?

quote:

Oops, actually I took the .csv file direct from your post above, didn't see a corresponding zip file, interesting we used the same pic ;-) Since the icons don't show up in navigation mode other than for alerts, are you really finding the larger size a problem ?

Edited by - James1549 on 25 janv. 2006 00:02:20
    Go to Top of Page

James1549

USA
    325 Posts

Posted - 25 janv. 2006 :  03:30:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    Concerning the Target Stores [.csv] file, is that the correct format? I can not make it work. It appears the format of the text is different than I am familar with. Is there a program to reformat the text or ???

James
    Go to Top of Page

Hook Em

14 Posts

Posted - 25 janv. 2006 :  03:36:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    I had to remove the first line and then switch the lat and long columns with each other - I can't remember which was first, but it needed to be the larger number (easiest way I can think to describe it). Make those changes and it should work. The third column is the store #.
    Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 25 janv. 2006 :  03:52:40  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
    @James1549 - sure, just put the zip on the server and I'll retrieve it tomorrow, thanks.

James1549

USA
    325 Posts

Posted - 26 janv. 2006 :  04:47:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    I submitted the [.zip] file as requested. But here it is as well. The number in the file name is when it was last updated. You can edit the name before uploading the file to your unit, if desired.

http://current.net/james1549/gps/NascarShops_012506.csv

James

PS - I also DL the Target Stores file to my PC, corrected the format, and added infomation for the stores that I am familar with. I could not get the Target Icon to show properly until I saved it to 8-bit (256)in my graphics program - Maybe this is a bug with the c320? I can submit both files back to the server for update, if the original author approves!

Edited by - James1549 on 26 janv. 2006 04:51:03
    Go to Top of Page

hcornea

Australia
    599 Posts

Posted - 26 janv. 2006 :  06:36:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    quote:

Now that the new POILoader has the GPXtoPOI capability, it seems that the logical posting of POIs should now be in GPX format.

Assuming GPSPassion doesn't mind the slight increase in filesize, I agree - although there is an issue with large databases which won't load into Mapsource, and are smaller when saved as CSV.

I have a POI file which has about 11k entries, which will convert into GPX but won't load into mapsource.

The main advantage of GPX apart from loading direct into Mapsource and others is the INDEPENDENT selection of speed and proximity.

You can set an alert speed, and a separate proximity, which also displays on the Mapsource map as a ring - a good way to prevent false alerts for speedcams when travelling on adjacent streets.

Now if we could just get directionality ...
    Go to Top of Page

EyeSpy

USA
    16 Posts

Posted - 27 janv. 2006 :  02:47:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    James,

If you want to upload what you have, you may... The logo/.bmp is working fine on my 2720... I did find that the Lat/Lon had to be switched and the first row deleted. I am working on a second version with some better and more accurate data, as I found that although many of the stores were "very close", there were some that were a block or so off. The new one will have a little more and will stores a little closer to being the actual spot.
    Go to Top of Page

James1549

USA
    325 Posts

Posted - 28 janv. 2006 :  16:45:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    The number in the file name is the date. You can rename the file without the numbers before transferring to your unit. James

http://current.net/james1549/gps/TargetStores012706.csv

Edited by - James1549 on 28 janv. 2006 16:47:22
    Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 28 janv. 2006 :  19:58:54  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
    Thanks, but can we stick to uploading the .zip with a .bmp and .csv using the link on the first page to make the updates easier ?

cedric5555

3 Posts

Posted - 30 janv. 2006 :  23:11:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    quote:

Hi, I couldn't see the link to download the file of speed trap for New Jersey, New Yokr. Could you please tell me the link again? Thanks alot!!
    Go to Top of Page

aaronw

43 Posts

Posted - 01 févr. 2006 :  22:35:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    Hey redcloud - where did you get that list of DC photoradars from? There's another one I drive by that isn't listed, I don't think.
    Go to Top of Page
    Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
    Next Page
     New Topic  Reply/Répondre
     Printer Friendly
    Jump To:
    GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2015_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
    This page was generated in 4,16 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05