Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2402

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Software
 MS Streets and Trips, AutoRoute, and MapPoint
 What's New Streets & Trips 2006 / AutoRoute 2006
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

aliensquale

126 Posts

Posted - 18 oct. 2005 :  23:32:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anybody have any pictures of how to mount a laptop in a small car such as a hyundai elantra? that's the one downfall for me in using ST2006 for gps nav in the car because I need a laptop which takes up a lot of space.
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 19 oct. 2005 :  00:27:40  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here is a thread titled: Share Your Laptop / CarPC Pictures Here. Check it out...

Marvin Hlavac - Toronto, Canada
Go to Top of Page

phil h

Canada
43 Posts

Posted - 19 oct. 2005 :  00:29:48  Show Profile  Visit phil h's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by aliensquale

Does anybody have any pictures of how to mount a laptop in a small car such as a hyundai elantra? that's the one downfall for me in using ST2006 for gps nav in the car because I need a laptop which takes up a lot of space.

look back in this thread, there is a link to your question, by marvin I think.
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 19 oct. 2005 :  00:35:59  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
;-) by Wayne a.k.a. AvisTow, page 19, the same link to the above thread.

Btw, for some people it may be better not to use a laptop at all (takes up a lot of space), but instead build yourself a car computer. But that's a topic for another thread.

Go to Top of Page

AvisTow

Canada
94 Posts

Posted - 19 oct. 2005 :  00:53:39  Show Profile  Visit AvisTow's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ahhh, this is why my ears were burning today!!
Go to Top of Page

ELEGEND_YVR

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 19 oct. 2005 :  06:30:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin Hlavac

;-)
Btw, for some people it may be better not to use a laptop at all (takes up a lot of space), but instead build yourself a car computer. But that's a topic for another thread.

Ahh...I heard of some people doing so. The results were less than ideal. For example, home PC's don't have the "shock" durability as laptops do. Space is always an issue since the the home PC needs a tower of some size. Securing it is also problematic. If all else fails, secure the laptop in the backseat with your seatbelt and have plenty of extension cables.
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 19 oct. 2005 :  12:44:27  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Actually there is no need for the “desktop tower” to be big. These days you can buy (or build your own) quite small car computer. A quick Google Image search for “car pc” or “carputer” brings up quite inspiring pictures: >click to see<

Look at this picture, too: carputer_done.JPG. I think it perfectly illustrates that it may be much easier to set up a desktop computer than a laptop in a car. "Desktops" are an interesting alternative indeed, but it's not for everyone ;-)

Mississauga, Ontario, October 18, 2005: Microsoft Canada today announced the availability of Microsoft Streets & Trips 2006.

I don’t see this press release on Microsoft Canada website yet, but MarketNews.ca just published it: http://marketnews.ca/news_detail.asp?nid=1160

It also reads: ”… Microsoft Streets & Trips 2006 with GPS Locator is available for an ESP of $154; and the standard Microsoft Streets & Trips 2006 is available for an ESP of $39.95 before a mail-in rebate to qualified customers. For those planning European vacations, AutoRoute 2006 will be available for an ESP of $129 for the GPS version, and $39.95 for the standard version.”

Hmm, does this mean that it will be now possible to buy MS AutoRoute in North America (and perhaps MS Streets & Trips in Europe)? This would be something new, as up until now I only knew of Semsons.com selling both products.

Edited by - Marvin Hlavac on 19 oct. 2005 14:38:07
Go to Top of Page

dumpper

Canada
118 Posts

Posted - 19 oct. 2005 :  15:13:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Too late (already ordered my Semsons' package!) hehehe ...
Go to Top of Page

ddonelle

Canada
7 Posts

Posted - 19 oct. 2005 :  16:20:08  Show Profile  Visit ddonelle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Me too, I couldn't wait. It was shipped yesterday so maybe I will get it before it is in stores depending on how long it sits at the border!
Go to Top of Page

aliensquale

126 Posts

Posted - 19 oct. 2005 :  19:57:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what package are you talking about?

quote:
Originally posted by dumpper

Too late (already ordered my Semsons' package!) hehehe ...

Go to Top of Page

admin_0

1 Posts

Posted - 19 oct. 2005 :  21:15:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hear people talking about the package from Semsons for $115US, but what about this one from Deluo: https://secure.deluo.com/paymentprocessor/customer/product.php?productid=105

it's only $80, and only $12 shipping to Canada. Seems like a much better deal.Does anybody have anything good or bad to say about this package? I'm brand new to the GPS game.

-GPS n00b
Go to Top of Page

aliensquale

126 Posts

Posted - 19 oct. 2005 :  23:22:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
couple more things I am looking for in laptop nav software, not sure if S&T 2006 or iGuidance does this..

1.) I set my laptop to "Hibernate" when I get out of my car because I don't want to wait for it to totally boot up next time I get into my car. I will just close the laptop screen while the nav software is open and the BT gps is connected and the laptop will hibernate. But when I get back in the car, open the laptop screen, WILL the nav software automatically RE-connect to my bt gps and begin calculating my route again automatically without me hitting any keys, etc?

2.) When you open MS S&T 2006, does it automatically connect to your bt gps and start using gps guidance? or do you have to go into a menu item and say "Start GPS Guidance" after you calculate a route?

3.) Is there a way to just type in an address and say "Take me here" and the software will make a route and the gps reciever will automatically connect and start guiding you there? or do you have to first plan the route, get directions, then start the gps navigation, then finally you can start driving?

4.) You mention that S&T 2006 is better than iGuidance for route planning but iGuidance is better for incar navigation. I wonder what is the point of making a travelling plan in S&T 2006 if you are going to be using iGuidance to actually navigate that trip so therefore iGuidance will have to create it's own route anyhow? I don't see what things are better about S&T versus iGuidance. Seems that iGuidance is far superior for incar navigation so why have both pieces of software?

Thanks for the input!
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 20 oct. 2005 :  01:04:52  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

The above picture is from the website of Deluo Electronics. For a chance to win you may visit their website: http://www.deluoelectronics.com/customer/reg.php

Deluo has just published the results of their giveaway, see if you're among the lucky few here in the Deluo forums !

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 20 oct. 2005 :  01:29:30  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Gpspassion that's great! I wonder if a forum member is among the lucky few.

Aliensquale:

1. I personally don't use Hibernate feature so I cannot provide first hand experience.

2. To accomplish that in S&T requires several key strokes and/or mouse clicks, that is why I mostly use iGuidance for navigation

3. Exactly as #2: S&T requires way too many clicks for me personally. IGuidance excels at keeping user input to the bare minimum

4. That is a valid question and I apologize for probably confusing many people about this one. I will try again: While I drive I prefer to use iGuidance to navigate because iGuidance is much much more driver friendly. It is simple to use, it has excellent voice direction prompts which are almost 100% to my satisfaction (I would give it 100, but I'm trying to be a bit conservative here ;-) S&T I use for some of its excellent non-navigation related features: POI (Points of Interest) searches are very easy with S&T, POI database is very good. Address search engine is excellent, too, and occasionally if I'm given a misspelled address which I cannot locate in iGuidance I will very likely locate it in S&T. S&T has an intelligent address search engine capable of correcting a lot of misspellings. The only time I would use S&T for actual navigation would be if I for some reason had the need to modify the originally calculated route. It is very easy to modify a route in S&T. IGuidance doesn't really offer for me a practical way to modify a route. But I can live with that because most of the time I have no need to modify iGuidance generated route (I just enter address and drive). Hmm, I'm just likely adding to the confusion ;-) Feel free to ask more Q's if needed.

Edited by - Marvin Hlavac on 20 oct. 2005 01:32:32
Go to Top of Page

aliensquale

126 Posts

Posted - 20 oct. 2005 :  02:07:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks man, very helpful! can you just elaborate more on why you CAN'T modify a route in iGuidance? can you put in mulitple stops and will iGuidance optimize the route for you?
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 20 oct. 2005 :  03:21:03  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
iGuidance allows very limited way of route modification. You are allowed to enter (only) one stop over. You may use "Detour" function to attempt to slightly modify your route, but it requires too many mouse clicks and it is not an effective way of route modification. You may also experiment with route settings like Quickest, Shortest, Local, Major, but in my experience only the Quickest setting works and other settings often create bizarre routes in my geographical area.

If S&T could in future versions completely redesign GUI with the driver (user) in mind, then S&T could be a killer application. The existing GUI is excellent when used while not driving. Now we need to add a new GUI which we could easily turn on when we start driving.

Go to Top of Page

ELEGEND_YVR

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 20 oct. 2005 :  06:07:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Actually there is no need for the “desktop tower” to be big.

Yes, towers are too big; however, I am one of those that like lots of cooling with my PC components. The hard drive and processors are designed to run cooler in laptops vs desktops. That's probably why I still have a desktop around (using it regulary and upgraded to the max from over 5 years ago).

Indeed, the current carputer is not for everyone. I still prefer a laptop and I can always take it with me without risking someone breaking into my car to steal my carputer or lcd screen.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 20 oct. 2005 :  11:18:39  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Up and running with Autoroute 2006 so I'm going to be able to ask tons of questions that have already been answered ;-)

Seriously, certainly a nice update and after intsalling the French TTS voice it works even better. Not sure why they don't have the voice read the street name while they were at it though.

The "Localize me" is greyed out, but I think I've seen a thread about that so will take a look.

Apparently the Pharos GPS that comes in the kit has been upgraded to Xtrac v2, still, it would have been nice to have a SiRFIII version, I have thus connected it to my BT388 ;-)

I saw in "Tips and Tricks" that you could see ETA by hitting F3, but that doesn't seem to be working here, in fact, there is no ETA at all unless I'm missing something, just Estimated Time of Travel as the trips all start at the time defined in the Options, i.e; 9:00AM by default.

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 20 oct. 2005 :  12:27:18  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's great news! My AutoRoute 2006 is most likely lost in mail, but it's not that important now because you have it:)

1. Since AR comes in various languages and it covers different countries I suspect it could be challenging to implement pronouncing of street names. (But I personally prefer voice directions prompts without street names anyway. The shorter the voice prompt the better IMHO. My only objection is the use of TTS instead of real pre-recorded human voice.)

2. I don’t know about the “Localize me”

3. I was told the GPS receiver would be “the same unit as last year”. If it has been updated to Xtrac v2 that’s nice, but of course SiRFstarIII would have been much better option.

4. I will re-write the Tips & Tricks tip about the ETA to make it easier to understand. Here is a new picture I just did. (Use Ctrl-U to open Directions pane)

5. Could you please check if the following countries have at least some roads shown on the map: Hungary, Poland, Slovenia, Croatia, Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania. These countries were not in AR 05, but I thought they had a realistic chance to make it into AR 06 since they were available with the Q1 2005 version of the NAVTEQ database.

Go to Top of Page

asbx

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 20 oct. 2005 :  13:58:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Question for you AR users.
How detailed are the maps of Ireland? Specifically Cork and area?
Go to Top of Page

ravichander

38 Posts

Posted - 20 oct. 2005 :  21:06:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Localize me uses Wi-Fi to determine the current location rather than by gps, if you do not have the gps attached. Useful only if the laptop in the car can connect to free wireless hot spots. May be useful in USA where such hot spots are common.
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 20 oct. 2005 :  21:19:32  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's "Locate Me", but he said "Localize Me" ;-)

[Edit] Hmm, on the second thought he might have been talking about the same feature. But the preceding sentence about the French language somehow made me think AR had some new feature which would "localize" AR for the language you need. I was likely wrong... ;-)

Edited by - Marvin Hlavac on 20 oct. 2005 21:31:43
Go to Top of Page

dumpper

Canada
118 Posts

Posted - 21 oct. 2005 :  06:57:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@aliensquale: personally, I've always liked the way the maps look in S&T - just like paper maps ... Vector maps (as in iGuidance) look more "conceptual" just to get the job (ie. "guiding you from point A to B") done.

@ELEGEND_YVR: A little off topic, but for a carputer, you can buy a cheap used "slim desktop" for less than $100 US - for example, the Compaq EN series which is Pentium III starting at least 733 Mhz with 128MB RAM (or more, up to you), 15GB HD ... just to run GPS applications such as S&T 2005/2006 & iGuidance 2.x in Windows XP. Don't worry about the power, I've been able to run different versions of S&T & iGuidance in Windows XP over the years with just a Pentium II 366Mhz computer & the speed is still practical enough for navigation even when both applications along with the internet browser are running concurrently !!!

The only "all-time" expensive item you have to buy is when you want a touch screen LCD monitor, which can be removed with you when you're going out of the car. Otherwise, if you can juggle with a wireless mouse + mini-keyboard or trackball, a used cheap 12.1" LCD will suffice which can be mounted permanently facing the driver ... The screen can be lowered down, covered with a rag or old cloth, to keep from sight of anyone walking near by casually. The point is to make the economy of "breaking & stealing" not worth the effort, & more importantly, YOUR own "peace of mind" even in the event of losing the gig.

Of course, if you can spare a chunk more bucks & want to crank more juice out of it (such as a mobile file server, video cam server, or MP3 player), a more powerful & tiny carputer based on a mini-ITX motherboard can always be the next option, which would allow you to hide it "deeper" in your car.
Go to Top of Page

jlb

France
29542 Posts

Posted - 21 oct. 2005 :  11:44:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Marvin,

quote:

J'appologize pour mon mauvais Français. J'emploie un service libre d'Internet pour traduire entre l'anglais et French. pourrait vous svp nous indiquer si les pays suivants sont maintenant inclus dans AR06: La Hongrie, la Pologne, la Slovénie, le Croatia, l'Estonie, le Latvia et la Lithuanie? Voyez-vous de nouveaux pays dans le nouvel AR06?

Hungary, Poland, Slovenia, Croatia, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania are not included in Microsoft® Autoroute 2006.

Here are some information: http://www.route2006.com/

Norway is described from Oslo to North Cape, South of Finland is also described.

Some parts of Canarias Islands are now in Microsoft® Autoroute 2006.

Please to supply more information

Jean
Team GpsPasSion - Moderator

Go to Top of Page

jlb

France
29542 Posts

Posted - 21 oct. 2005 :  12:39:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

quote:
Originally posted by asbx

Question for you AR users.
How detailed are the maps of Ireland? Specifically Cork and area?

Cork is completely described but unfortunately many other cities near Cork have only a limited number of roads.

Jean
Go to Top of Page

asbx

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 21 oct. 2005 :  14:23:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
merci jlb
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 21 oct. 2005 :  14:30:37  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jean thanks! So it seems that (as usually) we can expect approximately one year newer map data of the existing countries, but unfortunately there likely hasn't been enough time to incorporate some of the maps of Eastern European countries NavTeq recently added to its database .

AutoRoute 2006 will be remembered for being the first AR to provide voice directions prompts, and I predict AR 2007 will be remembered for adding a lot of still missing European countries. AR 07 will likely bring the end to some old time AR users saying AR 2002 covered more of Europe than all the AR versions that followed

Edited by - Marvin Hlavac on 21 oct. 2005 15:39:07
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 21 oct. 2005 :  22:01:46  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A few pictures ;-)

Hadn't hit the road with a laptop since...2002 with Delorme SAx, but Autoroute 2006 does a good job even when the lid is closed !

Speed cameras in France and you can even plan ahead and find out if your route will have a few of these attractions ;-)

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 21 oct. 2005 :  22:41:50  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Gpspassion Wow, I'm impressed! You actually were unable to resist all the excitement about the new 2006 version of Microsoft software and after so many years of living with other types of GPS solutions you took a laptop(!) along for a ride

Btw, I just got home to find a UPS delivery notice. That's likely my copy of AR 06, but I may not be able to pick it up till the next business day... and that's Monday :(

Go to Top of Page

aliensquale

126 Posts

Posted - 21 oct. 2005 :  22:46:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
how is autoroute different than streets and trips?
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 21 oct. 2005 :  22:52:52  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
AR comes with (West) European maps and S&T comes with USA/Canada/Mexico maps. The software itself is the same (if you disregard some differences in how the "Find" feature of AR works to locate European addresses).

Go to Top of Page

speedlever

USA
174 Posts

Posted - 21 oct. 2005 :  23:24:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks to you folks here for all the good info. I've had a Garmin 2610 for a couple of years (love it!) and recently a friend showed me a Delorme/GPS locator USB device hooked up to his laptop. Interesting, I thought.

This past weekend, the BestBuy flyer showed the MS S&T/GPS locator package for $100 so I was ready to head out and pick up one to play with this morning. On a whim, I decided to stop by here and check out what you folks had to say... and changed my plan after reading this entire thread!

I went to Costco and picked up a copy of MS S&T 2006 for $15 AR and then bought the i.trek S3 GPS receiver from Semsons... all-in-all I spent just short of what the BB package would have cost after tax.. and I get an up-to-date receiver!

I spend a lot of time on the road with my laptop, so I figure it will give me something else to keep me occupied on a long road trip. ;)

Out of curiosity, how do you guys think the Sony WAAS receiver (SONY's newest 4th generation CXD2951GA-4 as offered by Deluo) stacks up to the SiFRstarIII chip?

-speedy
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 21 oct. 2005 :  23:30:44  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
LOL, I just received my UPS package, but it seems an error has been made and instead of sending me MS AutoRoute 2006 I just received another S&T!!! This time it's not just 2 CD's in an envelope, but it is in a retail box including the GPS receiver. Hmm, I don't really have any need for it. I was hoping for AutoRoute so I could have a first hand close look at the map differences between 2005 and 2006... But it wasn't meant to be

Speedy I'm glad you changed your mind. You will not regret it. ( Check the following link for chipset comparison article which includes even the Sony one: http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/articles.asp?id=143 )

P.S. Speedy how long does it take to read this entire thread???

Edited by - Marvin Hlavac on 21 oct. 2005 23:53:16
Go to Top of Page

phil h

Canada
43 Posts

Posted - 22 oct. 2005 :  00:04:57  Show Profile  Visit phil h's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'll buy the other S+T 2006.
I'll even brig you the money.
and the timmys is on me
Go to Top of Page

speedlever

USA
174 Posts

Posted - 22 oct. 2005 :  00:19:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marvin,

It took a.... while to read all 22 pages (at that time)!

But it was good info and steered me in the right direction and away from an uninformed purchase (which is unlike me anyway). I tend to research the heck out of stuff that I buy!

Thanks for that link to the comparison. Seems the SiRFstarIII is currently top dog.

BTW, will the i.Trek S3 install and work with MS S&T or will I need to search out any particular driver to make it work?

-speedy
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 22 oct. 2005 :  01:31:51  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Driver is included with the receiver (and with the bundle). It is also available for download right from Semsons.com website ( http://store.yahoo.com/semsons-inc/is3usbgpsres.html )

Go to Top of Page

tedpeer

27 Posts

Posted - 22 oct. 2005 :  05:00:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's the European version instead of the North American version...

Ted
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 22 oct. 2005 :  11:39:52  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Mike Hall, technical product manager in the Embedded Devices Group, Microsoft, shares his positive and negative thoughts about running MS Streets & Trips on his OQO (Ultra-Portable full PC device which is running Windows XP). Here is the link to his blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/mikehall/archive/2005/10/13/480780.aspx

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 22 oct. 2005 :  11:50:47  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, ans he doesn't mention it, but running it on my Pentium-M 1.4Ghz laptop it was also using a lot of CPU power.

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 22 oct. 2005 :  15:05:02  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What CPU Usage are you getting?

Btw I think the above picture illustrates quite well that the interface is one area which could be potentially improved quite a lot. The visible map area, (which many users consider to be the most important part which they want to see), covers only 1/3 of the screen(!). The remaining 2/3 of the screen space is used up by GPS Task pane on the left and Driving Guidance pane on the bottom. (Btw, if you close both of these panes the voice function will not work as far as I can tell.) It would be better in my humble opinion if users could optionally switch to an interface like iGuidance (or other software) uses, where map covers the whole screen and a few pertinent items are overlaid on the map.

Here is how iGuidance maximizes visible map area, yet it still manages to display every piece of info drivers need to see:

Edited by - Marvin Hlavac on 22 oct. 2005 15:22:11
Go to Top of Page

ravichander

38 Posts

Posted - 22 oct. 2005 :  17:01:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On a similar vein of thought, what I would like to see come out in the future are user customizable text/graphic boxes whose size and placement can be controlled by the user. For e.g., I might like to place 4 boxes displaying information like speed, ETA, turns etc. in different parts of the screen. The speed will be slightly big and in bold letters and on the left side. The turn signals will be on the left upper corner and ETA on the bottom right. I do not want to see the number of satellites received as it would not impact my driving. Others might want different pieces of information displayed. If the ETA and remaining driving time can be read out at set intervals (e.g. once in 2 minutes or so) that will be another useful feature.

Voice input would be a major advance if the costs do not become too high. If the newer cellphones can be trained to memorize simple words for speed dialing commonly used numbers, why can’t a laptop with more processing power and memory not be able to do it so that destinations can be chosen using simple commands?

Edited by - ravichander on 22 oct. 2005 17:03:55
Go to Top of Page

dumpper

Canada
118 Posts

Posted - 22 oct. 2005 :  20:36:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just got my S&T 2006 ... Quite a big improvement, much more functional & practical, but still yet have more to work on ... Besides other features that already noted in previous posts, I also note that S&T 2006 can now be practically used on a plane. I tested the speedometer, which now can go over the "999km/h" limit (in S&T 2005). At this point, I've tested only up to 1,500km/h, but you get the idea. I also tested the altimeter at 15,000km without any problem ... This is useful during a long international flight (ie. 8 hrs+) when the public monitor would occasionally be switched to showing movies & TV shows, instead of the GPS screen (& you wake up in the middle of the night, don't know where you are!)
Go to Top of Page

dumpper

Canada
118 Posts

Posted - 22 oct. 2005 :  21:05:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
(This post should be in the "Wish List for MS Streets & Trips 2007", but since it's locked, so here is it ...)

The following are the images captured from the new DVD "Batman Begins" & I did notice some GPS & car safety features in the "Batmobile". The pictures speak for themselves for the features that we wish to have in future versions of S&T. Some of the features are already available else where, but we'd like to see them integrated into a central software:

3D GPS:

Radar-integrated GPS:

High contrast maps with vector/grid guidance (see how the green dot has 2 lines crossing it - already seen in some proprietory GPS systems):

(another one)

Automatically enlarge the turn arrow to emphasize the instruction when the turn corner is reached (hey, this looks like a future version of "iGuidance" ?!?):

Rear View Monitor - already available for years, but can be integrated into S&T:

Capable to output various information to Multiple Displays (look at the feature of the upcoming MS Windows Vista - 2006):

Car Health Status (ok, I'm wishing too much, as this is more to do with the car manufacturer & not MS' responsibility, but hey, they can provide the software):

Go to Top of Page

porciniman

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 22 oct. 2005 :  21:30:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I've been using S&T for a week now with the iTrek SiRF III...
A few observations....

Just as with the SiRF II chip, it does not track well in Urban Canyons..

When among these tall buildings and stopped in traffic, the guiding arrow wanders on the page..as much as block away, and....it will tell me I'm moving between 1-3 miles per hour.

The program uses mucho memory and CPU power, slowing all other apps unless you have a lot of memory, or ...a really fast chip.
(It stutters my screen saver)

It will, at times, tell me I'm off route, even though I'm on the route it planned.

That's all for now.

The greatest problem in communication is the illusion it has taken place.
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 22 oct. 2005 :  23:21:28  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dumpper So far I only heard of one sighting of S&T 06 on a store shelf in Canada ;-) I would prefer that we get to know this new version at least for a couple of weeks so we have a chance to experience S&T the way it was designed. Then we may be able to more objectively put some ideas into our Wish List for S&T 07.

It does happen all the time that people try new software, they dislike a feature or two, but after a while they start to appreciate it. So let's travel a few more miles/kilometers with S&T/AR... Then of course feel free to copy & paste the above posting into the Wish List thread if you want ;-)

Porciniman well, to be fair to SiRFstarIII you would need to perform a side by side comparison test, and the receivers would have to be placed not too far apart. Such tests have been done and they all show considerable advantage of SiRFstarIII. Check the following article: http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/articles.asp?id=143

Edited by - Marvin Hlavac on 22 oct. 2005 23:28:43
Go to Top of Page

dumpper

Canada
118 Posts

Posted - 23 oct. 2005 :  06:07:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marvin Sorry that I forgot what its name is, there's a computer store in Vancouver which has been carried S&T 2006 since October 18th & it has like 3 different locations or so (none in Ontario, what a shame!)
Go to Top of Page

phil h

Canada
43 Posts

Posted - 23 oct. 2005 :  14:29:46  Show Profile  Visit phil h's Homepage  Reply with Quote
marvin told me that compusmart have them.
so I called the one at kennedy and the 401.
they had one in stock.
I say HAD, coz now I have it
I have had the BU-353 for about a week now.
I plugged in a route and off I went with the wife driving,
even when she took a wrong turn it was easy
to get back on track with the F3 key.
(remebered that from marvins review)
I had no probs understanding the voice.
it got me home no probs, very accurate

Edited by - phil h on 23 oct. 2005 14:33:31
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 23 oct. 2005 :  15:18:47  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Phil, if everyone says there is no problem understanding the voice Microsoft will have no reason to give us anything better next year!!!

I'm glad you managed to find the very last copy of S&T 06 still on the shelf ;-)

iGkeys | S&Tkeys | ARkeys | S&T + AR Tips & Tricks
Go to Top of Page

porciniman

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 23 oct. 2005 :  15:33:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Porciniman well, to be fair to SiRFstarIII you would need to perform a side by side comparison test, and the receivers would have to be placed not too far apart. Such tests have been done and they all show considerable advantage of SiRFstarIII. Check the following article: http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/articles.asp?id=143
[/quote]

Marvin, while the SiRF III chip does well on the open road; provided me with good guidence to my destiation on said road, I'm finding its use in a city with tall buildings, to be about the same as the previous chip set...which is to say, the arrow moves around on the map while stopped or parked; wanders as much as a block from my current location; tells me I'm moving up to 3 mph.... and has lost the signal sporacticaly while parked among these tall buildings.......especially New York and Boston and has a difficult time tracking me while moving through these urban canyons.

If I'm in a city I don't know well, I found it easier to turn off the GPS guidence and use the map only.

Maybe I'm doing something incorrectly????

Thanks , VB

Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 23 oct. 2005 :  16:16:34  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you still have your older GPS receiver you could compare it side-by-side to your new SiRFstarIII. You could run 2 instances of S&T for example and see which one performs better. There should be a noticeable improvement when the new receiver is used.

If you find yourself in a difficult environment where even SiRfstarIII cannot keep up, disable "Rotate map to follow travel direction". This way you will eliminate the "rotating" and you will have easier time orienting yourself by looking at the map. It's not the best solution, but it's the best you can do for now.

By the way, where is your GPS receiver located? If it is on the inside of your car you may place it on the roof of your vehicle instead (if it has a magnetic base). That should improve reception. Some users of these new SiRFstarIII based receivers keep them in inferior locations (for example glove compartment). While this works in many cases (because of SiRFstarIII super sensitivity), the performance will not be as good when we deprive our GPS receivers of good view of the sky.

Go to Top of Page

porciniman

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 23 oct. 2005 :  16:19:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks marvin...I do have a magnetic base, so I'll try the roof placement and see if it make a difference.
VB

Go to Top of Page

Alan_

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 23 oct. 2005 :  21:47:53  Show Profile  Visit Alan_'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
Porciniman I'm sorry to hear about your receiver problems. Please report the results of your roof placement. So far I have not run into receiver problems.
Go to Top of Page

ELEGEND_YVR

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 23 oct. 2005 :  21:51:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's mentioned in this thread that some laptops are using a high amount of cpu usage. Is this a S&T issue or because of the new SiRF III GPS units people are using?

Speaking of SiRF III, I see no mention of the GlobalSat BU-353 Water Proof USB GPS that is selling for $77.99. Just wondering why everyone prefers the i.Trek S3 USB GPS Receiver?
http://www.usglobalsat.com/item.asp?itemid=60
Go to Top of Page

phil h

Canada
43 Posts

Posted - 23 oct. 2005 :  22:06:43  Show Profile  Visit phil h's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know how to clear history from "add to route" thanx marvin
but it would e nice to have favorites, eg my house, the airport etc.
can I keep addresses as favorites? if so, how? I know how to save maps/trips in a file.also can I get S+T to start up on my house or my town and not just north america?

Edited by - phil h on 23 oct. 2005 22:09:15
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 23 oct. 2005 :  22:07:12  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No unrelated to the GPS receiver, that's S&T displaying the map and updating it, I'm pretty sensitive to CPU usage because when running below 50% my X31 is absolutly silent, I'm not a big fan of the...fan coming on to cool off the CPU ;-)

The BU-353 and iTrek S3 are identical units.

Alan_

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 23 oct. 2005 :  22:08:29  Show Profile  Visit Alan_'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
ELEGEND_YVR stated
It's mentioned in this thread that some laptops are using a high amount of cpu usage. Is this a S&T issue or because of the new SiRF III GPS units people are using?

Speaking of SiRF III, I see no mention of the GlobalSat BU-353 Water Proof USB GPS that is selling for $77.99. Just wondering why everyone prefers the i.Trek S3 USB GPS Receiver?
http://www.usglobalsat.com/item.asp?itemid=60

I refer to the i.Trek S3 USB GPS Receiver because that is what Semsons calls the receiver. However, on the back of the receiver I notice it says it is the BU-353 receiver! Many of us get the Semsons package since it also has the Franson GPSGate. Also, now Semsons bundle their package with S&T 2006 :)

I'm not having a high cpu usage problem, but keep in mind I'm only running the GPS stuff while driving.
Go to Top of Page

ELEGEND_YVR

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 23 oct. 2005 :  22:19:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ahh, both the The BU-353 and iTrek S3 are identical units. No wonder everyone is snatching teh iTrek up. You get added software with the iTrekS3.

I have a P4 2.8Mhz in my laptop. I always had a concern on the new Centrinos and mobile laptop processors on how much processing power they will consume. They are great for battery life and for size but I prefer not to own one. I guess I am old school. ;-)

Edited by - ELEGEND_YVR on 23 oct. 2005 22:19:55
Go to Top of Page

phil h

Canada
43 Posts

Posted - 23 oct. 2005 :  22:28:23  Show Profile  Visit phil h's Homepage  Reply with Quote
one problem I had today was running out of power on my laptop.
I'll have to take my Eliminator PowerBox 800 next time.
Go to Top of Page

AvisTow

Canada
94 Posts

Posted - 23 oct. 2005 :  23:29:58  Show Profile  Visit AvisTow's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phil h

one problem I had today was running out of power on my laptop.
I'll have to take my Eliminator PowerBox 800 next time.

I use the 200 watt Eliminator in the truck, but I found that you have to be careful which outlet you plug it into. In my Flatbed Tow Truck I have 3 outlets, 2 are side by side on the dash, the other is on the parking brake housing in between the seats. I have always had it plugged into the outlet on the parking brake housing, I found that the Eliminator would loose power and cut out for some reason, I thought that it was just the Laptop sucking up too much power.

About a month ago I took my Laptop on a trip to the USA with me in a different vehicle, the Eliminator never cut out at all. So when I returned, I tried the outlet on the dash, problem solved! For whatever reason, the outlet on the parking brake housing could not supply enough power to the Eliminator.
Go to Top of Page

phil h

Canada
43 Posts

Posted - 24 oct. 2005 :  02:04:07  Show Profile  Visit phil h's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think I may get a smaller 200 watt converter, the power box is a bit big for lugging into my limo all the time.
seems silly when the power supply is bigger than the laptop.
Go to Top of Page

phil h

Canada
43 Posts

Posted - 24 oct. 2005 :  02:43:03  Show Profile  Visit phil h's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hey marvin, I find the links to tips and tricks at the bottom of your posts VERY useful,I now know how to "avoid areas"
thanks
Go to Top of Page

malabogia

Turkey
6 Posts

Posted - 24 oct. 2005 :  03:12:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there,

I have no hope but I will ask anyway. Does autoroute 06 have some (at least )roads from Turkey. I remember 02 or 03 version did but than disappeared on newer ones.

Go to Top of Page

jlb

France
29542 Posts

Posted - 24 oct. 2005 :  07:38:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi malabogia,

Turkey is not included in Microsoft® Autoroute 2006.

Jean

Go to Top of Page

admin_0

1 Posts

Posted - 24 oct. 2005 :  10:31:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know if Poland and the Czech Republic made it in this year?

Actually, can anyone say which countries are "new" or "vastly improved" over AR2005?
Go to Top of Page

jlb

France
29542 Posts

Posted - 24 oct. 2005 :  11:24:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi MurrayBHenson,

Only some large cities of Czech Republic are completly described (Praha, Brno, Ostrava, and perhaps some other cities).

For Poland and other contries see here.

Jean
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 24 oct. 2005 :  12:34:15  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Murray Very likely a year from now, when MS AutoRoute 2007 comes out, it will include several new European countries. NavTeq Corporation, the map data provider for both AR and S&T, from the beginning of this year till now has acquired navigable maps for the following countries: Hungary, Poland, Slovenia, Croatia, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Russia, Bulgaria, and Romania. Microsoft likely didn’t have enough time to include them in AR 06, but the future looks bright because NavTeq has been working quite hard to map out Eastern Europe ;-)

Phil the links in my signature was actually a suggestion by RBasil in another thread a couple of days ago. So he is to be credited (or blamed) ;-)

There is no “Favorites” function, but you could experiment with “Pushpins” to see if you can achieve your goal.

Go to Top of Page

phil h

Canada
43 Posts

Posted - 24 oct. 2005 :  17:24:44  Show Profile  Visit phil h's Homepage  Reply with Quote
thanx again, maybe we should add favorites to our wish list.
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 24 oct. 2005 :  17:37:13  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, I agree.

Go to Top of Page

phil h

Canada
43 Posts

Posted - 24 oct. 2005 :  18:24:14  Show Profile  Visit phil h's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just had to do a quote with 3 stops in toronto then up to casino rama, she only gave me the intersections in Toronto, good thing I now know how to do "yonge&finch" and dont need the exact address.
this was a BIG help in giving the lady a quote.
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 24 oct. 2005 :  18:42:26  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, S&T is very quick at doing that. I bet now, after using S&T for a couple of days, you cannot imagine ever working without it!

Go to Top of Page

phil h

Canada
43 Posts

Posted - 24 oct. 2005 :  23:12:27  Show Profile  Visit phil h's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes, S&T is very quick at doing that. I bet now, after using S&T for a couple of days, you cannot imagine ever working without it!

well I have only used it a couple of times on routes I know, to see if it works,and once for a quote, not used it yet on roasd I do not know.
Go to Top of Page

hotweiss

40 Posts

Posted - 25 oct. 2005 :  01:04:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After using S&T 2006, I do have to say that it's a worthy upgrade with some room for improvement. The biggest plus is the navigation assistance. The biggest minus is the lack of a 3D view.
Go to Top of Page

91stealthrt2

14 Posts

Posted - 25 oct. 2005 :  01:20:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't have my GPS unit yet, but was using S&T on my trip this weekend... and found something kinda fishy.

When changing from "quickest or shortest" route, it was not changing properly. But when I would manually add a town on the "shorter but slower route" it was actually shorter.

Think this is a glitch?

I was going from olympia, wa to depoe bay, oregon. And the route we wanted/did take was on hwy 99East through McMinnville.
Go to Top of Page

phil h

Canada
43 Posts

Posted - 25 oct. 2005 :  02:06:48  Show Profile  Visit phil h's Homepage  Reply with Quote
well avistow, I went to canadian tire today and got a 200watt inverter.
this did not work, so I got a 400 watt inverter this did not work either, a lady stood behind me at customer service said she had been thru $600 worth of inverters and nothing worked, she says she had to get the one from here laptop manufacturer
anyone else have this problem?
Go to Top of Page

AvisTow

Canada
94 Posts

Posted - 25 oct. 2005 :  02:23:20  Show Profile  Visit AvisTow's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

this did not work, so I got a 400 watt inverter this did not work either, a lady stood behind me at customer service said she had been thru $600 worth of inverters and nothing worked, she says she had to get the one from here laptop manufacturer

Well, that is odd, are you sure the power outlet in your vehicle is working?? Most power supplies for Laptops have an output less than 100 watts, my Compaq is 90 watts, so the 200 watt inverter works just fine for me (I have been using the same one for almost 2 years). But as I mentioned before, make sure your power outlet in your vehicle can handle the demand, usually the outlet that the cigarette lighter plugs into is the best bet, others may only work for cell phones.

I don't believe that Laptop manufacturers make power inverters, they may have automotive power supplies (I had one when I had my Panasonic Toughbook). I know that Targus makes a generic automotive power supply, I believe that Future Shop sells them, but last time I looked for one for my Compaq, they did not have one with a high enough wattage!?!

I hope this helps you out!
Go to Top of Page

admin_0

1 Posts

Posted - 25 oct. 2005 :  02:27:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I enjoy reading and have always wanted to write and now found a reason. I found S&T for 25.00 US at SAMS CLUB not sure if you have one in Canada but you can find them on line at samsclub.com search for S&T 2006.

Search Results : 2 results found

Your search for streets and trips yielded 2 results.

Page: 1

Sort By: best match best selling price: low-high price: high-low

MICROSOFT
STREETS AND TRIPS 2006 PC SOFTWARE
Item: 921621
Price: $24.27

Price may vary by Club.

I would like to know if you miss your turn does S&T have a redirect function I don't know about and if so how do I make it work?

Thanks for all the great comments that makes fourm a perfect place for info

James
Panama City Beach, Fl

To err is human But to realy screw up you need a computer!!
Go to Top of Page

ddonelle

Canada
7 Posts

Posted - 25 oct. 2005 :  02:53:36  Show Profile  Visit ddonelle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just looked at my tracking number for my S&T bundle from Semsons and it cleared customs at 2:43 this aft so maybe I will have it tomorrow or wednesday!!!!! Can't wait.
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 25 oct. 2005 :  02:54:00  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi olo131, welcome to the forums. S&T 2006 doesn't yet have automatic rerouting function. When S&T 06 notices you have deviated from the pre-calculated route, you will be notified by a voice announcement and/or message will appear in Driving Guidance pane. You may then click on the "Go" button in the GPS Task pane to recalculate route from current location. (Hitting F3-key will accomplish the same).

Last year every one was asking for "voice", and this year it seems the most requested feature may be the automatic-recalculate ;-)

Cool ddonelle! Let us know how you like it when it arrives!

Edited by - Marvin Hlavac on 25 oct. 2005 02:56:37
Go to Top of Page

dethom

14 Posts

Posted - 25 oct. 2005 :  03:02:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Re: Power Inverters
I had trouble with a Canadain Tire inverter. It keep blowing a truck fuse as soon as I turned the inverter on. As I recall the inverter was rated at about 100 watts and SHOULD have been drawing a much lower current than the fuse rating. I now power my laptop in the truck sometimes using a Targus "Universal Auto/Air Power Adarter" rated at 70 W continuous output, and at other times using a 140 W "Portawattz" inverter.
Go to Top of Page

phil h

Canada
43 Posts

Posted - 25 oct. 2005 :  03:37:59  Show Profile  Visit phil h's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I tryed it in the front outlet where the lighter is,lighter worked ok, and the inverter has a reading on it saying the power was 12v
I tryed this with an inverter from best buy a few months ago, no joy.
like I said, I have a big poer box 800, I plugged my laptop into it and it said I was drawing 60-80 watts on average, with 100 watts while booting up a CD. I have a toshiba satellite A70.
Go to Top of Page

hotweiss

40 Posts

Posted - 25 oct. 2005 :  03:48:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's no sense of getting an inverter rated higher than 150 W, as the lighter plug only supports 150 W maximum. Anything higher needs to be attached to the battery.
Go to Top of Page

speedlever

USA
174 Posts

Posted - 25 oct. 2005 :  06:34:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
When changing from "quickest or shortest" route, it was not changing properly. But when I would manually add a town on the "shorter but slower route" it was actually shorter.

This sounds like the same problem I described in this thread:
http://tinyurl.com/cnrfk

If I plug in a waypoint either near the destination or near the origination point, the routing is dramatically different from just a origin/destination route.

-speedy
Go to Top of Page

zrxh14

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 25 oct. 2005 :  15:03:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a Dell laptop and I use a 12v to 12v adapter from Lind Electronics. They are not cheap but it works great and you don't have to use your power supply and have all the extra cords. They are at www.lindelectronics.com. You get the specific adapter for your laptop.
Go to Top of Page

ddonelle

Canada
7 Posts

Posted - 25 oct. 2005 :  15:15:29  Show Profile  Visit ddonelle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's my lucky day. I happen to be working from home while they install a new front door and my package arrived today. So I paid the customs fee ($14.22 for those who were wondering) and I am now installing S&T on my laptop. I won't be able to do any road tests until the weekend but I will definitely start playing with the software and post my feedback here later on.

Derek
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 25 oct. 2005 :  15:51:57  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice Derek, have fun with your new toy!

Btw, regarding the discussions about power inverters, etc., there is a thread on that topic already in the PC and PPC support section. The thread is titled * Dealing with power hungry gadgets * and here is the link: http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=36379 ;-)

Go to Top of Page

ddonelle

Canada
7 Posts

Posted - 25 oct. 2005 :  19:17:11  Show Profile  Visit ddonelle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ok, I opened the package, plugged in the GPS receiver, installed the driver, opened S&T and bingo, it put a nice red circle where my house is on the map. I will hopefully get to do a test drive this weekend to see how accurate it is. BTW, I am in my basement and I had pretty good reception according to the config program that came with the receiver. I have never used a GPS receiver before so I can't compare how good the SirfIII is to an older receiver.

The voice didn't bother me at all. Ok it isn't Halle Berry sitting in my front seat with me but it will do better than hearing "I don't know where we are on this map, which way are we going?" Needles to say my wife is not a good map reader so both of us are very happy to have the GPS do it for us!

Ok, for the software itself, it has the same S&T and feel to it. I did a quick route to my parent's house and granted it may have not used the exact route I normally use, it would have got me from point A to point B. For me I am not too concerned if the shortest route given by S&T is not exactly the shortest. I am more concerned with getting there when I have no idea where I am going. If I know a quicker route then I won't need S&T will I?

Personally the one big reason I went for S&T as compared to an all-in-one GPS solution is that I really enjoy the trip planning features available in the software. Sometimes my entire trip will include 5 or 6 stops prior to arriving at the final destination. I can set it all up in S&T prior and then go. I couldn't even think of doing this with Mapquest...

The only small thing I noticed is when I did a trip from Montreal to Philadelphia and then opened the GPS pane, the default map of the route is very high level. Basically it shows me the entire trip on 1/4 of the screen. I am hoping that when I actually start driving the map will zoom in closer to my actual route so as I can see what street I am on, etc.

That's it for now, I've already taken too much space here... I will leave a smaller review when I actually have done a road test.

Derek
Go to Top of Page

drozone

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 25 oct. 2005 :  19:18:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So far I have been happy with S&T 2006 ($15 at Costco - AR).Locate me seems like a great feature, when it works. It thinks I'm in CA when I am really in MD. Now I need to get a new GPS for my laptop and Toshiba E740 (with a bluetooth cf card) Any suggestions?
Go to Top of Page

AvisTow

Canada
94 Posts

Posted - 26 oct. 2005 :  00:32:00  Show Profile  Visit AvisTow's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Off topic for just one more sec...

I just noticed that my power inverter is actually 175 watts, not sure if they make that one any longer? I found that the one that has the red numeric display did not work that well for me (back when I had that particular model).

Now back on topic...

I finally had a trip up to Sudbury Ontario today, but silly me, I forgot to leave my Laptop open (since it is a familiar trip for me). So I was not able to see if the "new" section of Highway 400 / 69 has been moved a little further west on S&T 2006. It is between MacTeir & Parry Sound where S&T always veered off course, suppose I will have to wait for the next trip to find out.
Go to Top of Page

phil h

Canada
43 Posts

Posted - 26 oct. 2005 :  00:34:30  Show Profile  Visit phil h's Homepage  Reply with Quote
what is the smallest and cheapest pocket PC I can run S+T 2006?
and can I use my USB receiver?
Go to Top of Page

jacksonGPS

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 26 oct. 2005 :  03:05:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anybody has some expeirences for the s/w in linux? maybe we only need the maps of S&T 2006. My dream device is Archos PMA 400 or PMA 500, which you can play 15 hours MOVIE, and somebody said it haD a GPS software from third party, but you need download the maps.
Go to Top of Page

dumpper

Canada
118 Posts

Posted - 26 oct. 2005 :  07:50:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
jacksonGPS You may try a "Windows-on-Linux" emulator such as "Wine" or "VMware" & then run MS Streets & Trips within it ... It will no longer be a cheap Linux box as initially intended since it could be quite a "hardware hog", but it'd likely work.
Go to Top of Page

Alan_

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 26 oct. 2005 :  22:03:36  Show Profile  Visit Alan_'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
zrxh14 posted
I have a Dell laptop and I use a 12v to 12v adapter from Lind Electronics. They are not cheap but it works great and you don't have to use your power supply and have all the extra cords. They are at www.lindelectronics.com. You get the specific adapter for your laptop.

Gee zrxh14 with shipping I only paid $41 ($29+$12 shipping cost) for an adapter for my Dell Inspiron 1150 laptop. PN: Car Adapter Universal 12V Car Adapter

* Universal Car Adapter (DC-AC Inverter) for Laptops and other small devices!
* Will make your laptop work on a cigarette outlet in your car, boat and airplane.
* Requires your existing laptop AC adapter.
* Input 12V DC. Output 120V AC at 100W
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/laptopsforless/un12vcarad.html
Go to Top of Page

Alan_

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 26 oct. 2005 :  23:27:05  Show Profile  Visit Alan_'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just went on a route today and S&T 2006 routed me thru Melody Lane in Louisville, KY. There was a problem with the route as I found out one end of Melody Lane was closed a few years ago and made into a dead end :(
Today I placed an order to Semsons & Co. Inc. for iGuidance North America V2.1.3 software.
Hopefully iGuidance has more updated maps.

I plan to use iGuidance as well as S&T 2006 on my routes using my i.Trek S3 USB GPS Receiver (V.3.1.1 WAAS) (SiRF III) and Franson GpsGate and laptop ;)
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 27 oct. 2005 :  00:27:32  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Alen S&T + iGuidance + SIRF III seems like the best possible setup these days. Enjoy!

Occasionally we will come across an outdated map area no matter what product we use. Navigable maps lag (in my experience) about 2 to 3 years behind printed maps. It takes time to collect data for navigable maps and then it takes yet more time to integrate the map data into software programs.

Having said that, it does appear that the current iGuidance North America version 2.1.x which was first released I think in May does have a little bit newer NavTeq map data than MS Streets & Trips 2006. NavTeq releases map data to its direct customers on a quarterly bases. It is possible that Intellinav/Netropa is able to integrate new maps into their new iGuidance version faster than Microsoft. Also, when comparing iGuidance Europe to MS AutoRoute 2006 the same appears to be true. For Example MS AutoRoute 2006 still includes map coverage of only the southern part of Finland, but iGuidance Europe, even though released earlier than AR, already includes full coverage of Finland.

Go to Top of Page

zrxh14

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 27 oct. 2005 :  01:11:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alan, What I am talking about is not an inverter like you got. You can get them at WalMart. Mine replaces the AC adapter that comes with the laptop and is specific for my model laptop. Lots of less wires and only one brick to fool with. I started out with an inverter and wanted something simpler and cleaner. To each his own. I'm happy and I'm assuming your happy, that's all that matters.
Go to Top of Page

jimclements

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - 27 oct. 2005 :  02:20:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is anyone familiar with Streets and Trips 2006 Essentials? It is listed in Microsoft HomeMagazine page, with a $39.95 price, right under the GPS package for $154.95. The "official website" button takes you to the standard Streets and Trips website, with (as far as I could see) no mention of an "Essentials" version.
Go to Top of Page

xcanuk

Canada
77 Posts

Posted - 27 oct. 2005 :  03:09:25  Show Profile  Visit xcanuk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
FWIW, I've been using the small targus invertor for the past 5 years, as mentioned above, it replaces the original brick and wiring from the laptop. It came with 4-5 adapters and they will gladly ship you any other one you request. (I needed a new adapter for my tablet 3 years after I bought the invertor)
Much easier to deal, no transformer nor invertor to carry in and out of the truck, small enough to tuck under the driver's seat. I added a triple aux plug on its own switch which powers my laptop and gps.
Go to Top of Page

phil h

Canada
43 Posts

Posted - 27 oct. 2005 :  03:24:12  Show Profile  Visit phil h's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by xcanuk

FWIW, I've been using the small targus invertor for the past 5 years, as mentioned above, it replaces the original brick and wiring from the laptop. It came with 4-5 adapters and they will gladly ship you any other one you request. (I needed a new adapter for my tablet 3 years after I bought the invertor)
Much easier to deal, no transformer nor invertor to carry in and out of the truck, small enough to tuck under the driver's seat. I added a triple aux plug on its own switch which powers my laptop and gps.

so is this like the thing that comes with the laptop only smaller? and has a lighter plug at the end instead of a wall plug?
got any photos or links to web pages?
or is it like this?
http://www.targus.com/us/product_details.asp?sku=PAPWR005U
or this one?
http://www.targus.com/ca/product_details.asp?sku=PA390C

Edited by - phil h on 27 oct. 2005 04:10:47
Go to Top of Page

dethom

14 Posts

Posted - 27 oct. 2005 :  04:23:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Phil h, the Targus Universal Auto/air power adapter referred to earlier is model #APD10US. It a DC to DC unit, not an invertor. You can see the details on the Targus web page. The key point is that the unit's input cord plugs into the car's 12 V outlet and the unit's output cord plugs into the computer.
Go to Top of Page

xcanuk

Canada
77 Posts

Posted - 27 oct. 2005 :  04:25:25  Show Profile  Visit xcanuk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Closer to this one
http://www.targus.com/ca/product_details.asp?sku=APA10CA
(mine is 5 years old so models change slightly)
Basically, I leave the power end of the invertor sticking out so I can quickly plug in the laptop, the brick is smaller than the one that came with either of my laptops, it has a cig. plug at the other end that goes to my aux.plug.
No unsightly wires anywhere, more of a plug and go, while I still have my original power plug at home/hotel where its needed. It was also cheaper than buying a second power brick for my laptop to have the same convienence.
Go to Top of Page

ELEGEND_YVR

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 27 oct. 2005 :  04:39:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zrxh14

Alan, What I am talking about is not an inverter like you got. You can get them at WalMart. Mine replaces the AC adapter that comes with the laptop and is specific for my model laptop. Lots of less wires and only one brick to fool with. I started out with an inverter and wanted something simpler and cleaner. To each his own. I'm happy and I'm assuming your happy, that's all that matters.

How much is the DC unit? Do they have any for Dell? I haven't seen any of thse in any Canadian Wal-marts that replace the original OEM though.
quote:

Originally posted by xcanuk
http://www.targus.com/ca/product_details.asp?sku=APA10CA
(No unsightly wires anywhere, more of a plug and go, while I still have my original power plug at home/hotel where its needed. It was also cheaper than buying a second power brick for my laptop to have the same convienence.

Many of the newer laptops like Dell take 90 Watts. The Targus one is only 70 Watts. I assume they must make more powerful ones at an added cost.

Edited by - ELEGEND_YVR on 27 oct. 2005 04:48:02
Go to Top of Page

admin_0

1 Posts

Posted - 27 oct. 2005 :  19:53:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone checked out if the New S&T 2006 maps include street detail of Monterrey, Mexico. If so, could you send an example?

Does anyone know if it's possible to use the new S&T 2006 maps with MPoint 2004?

Thanks in advance
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 27 oct. 2005 :  21:18:35  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Yes, it is possible. The above picture is my MS MapPoint 2004 updated with the map data from MS Streets & Trips 2006. Here is the procedure I followed to do it: http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19252

Only Mexico City has street level coverage in S&T 06. I just looked at Monterrey, but I only see major highways there. I suspect next year MS Streets & Trips 2007 will include more parts of Mexico as NavTeq Corporation, the map data provider, already has navigable maps for more cities and several tourist areas.

Go to Top of Page

phil h

Canada
43 Posts

Posted - 27 oct. 2005 :  22:14:38  Show Profile  Visit phil h's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think I get the power thingy now, I seen a small brick thingy at future shop, one end goes into laptop, the other has an adapter for either wall,plane or car lighter, maybe this will work.
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 28 oct. 2005 :  01:04:50  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Deluo Electronics now sells:

MS Streets & Trips 2006 + SiRFstarIII GPS receiver!

MS Streets & Trips 2006 (only software): $ 25.00 >>here<<

GPS Receiver (only hardware): $ 84.90 >>here<<

S&T 2006 + SiRFstarIII GPS receiver: $ 104.90 >>here<<

I’m very happy to see Deluo finally offering a GPS receiver based on the new SiRFstarIII chipset! They sell the receiver under the name “Deluo GPS PRO SiRF Star III”, and infact it is a re-branded GlobalSat BR-355. You will get a choice of USB or serial adapter for free. You may even order (for only $ 5) an adapter for several PDA’s.

Wow, excellent price!

Edited by - Marvin Hlavac on 28 oct. 2005 04:41:47
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 28 oct. 2005 :  01:05:19  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote

MS Streets & Trips 2006 + SiRFstarIII GPS receiver!

MS Streets & Trips 2006 (only software): $ 25.00 >>here<<

GPS Receiver (only hardware): $ 84.90 >>here<<

S&T 2006 + SiRFstarIII GPS receiver: $ 104.90 >>here<<

I’m very happy to see Deluo finally offering a GPS receiver based on the new SiRFstarIII chipset! They sell the receiver under the name “Deluo GPS PRO SiRF Star III”, and infact it is a re-branded GlobalSat BR-355. You will get a choice of USB or serial adapter for free. You may even order (for only $ 5) an adapter for several PDA’s.

Wow, excellent price!

Edited by - Marvin Hlavac on 28 oct. 2005 04:41:09
Go to Top of Page

phil h

Canada
43 Posts

Posted - 28 oct. 2005 :  02:01:33  Show Profile  Visit phil h's Homepage  Reply with Quote
is that canadian $?
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 28 oct. 2005 :  02:08:25  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Buying it overseas: MS AutoRoute, MS Streets & Trips

In the past years it was not possible to order MS AutoRoute if your shipping address was in North America. The same was for many years true if you lived in Europe and wished to order a copy of MS Streets & Trips. Not that long ago however both AR and S&T appeared on the website of Semsons.com. I however still wondered how legal that was because I was always under the impression it was a licensing restriction by NavTeq Corporation (the map data provider).

Well, I inquired about it, and here is the answer straight from the horses' mouse:

Microsoft: "This is actually the first year that AutoRoute can be purchased in the North America, and Streets & Trips can be purchased in Europe"

Go to Top of Page

jimclements

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - 28 oct. 2005 :  02:14:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jimclements

Is anyone familiar with Streets and Trips 2006 Essentials? It is listed in Microsoft HomeMagazine page, with a $39.95 price, right under the GPS package for $154.95. The "official website" button takes you to the standard Streets and Trips website, with (as far as I could see) no mention of an "Essentials" version.

To answer my own question, yes apparently there IS a Streets and Trips Essentials, something of a separate program. It is shown on at least one Microsoft site (see above) and is part of the new Microsoft Works package. In past years they have included a full S&T, this is what used to be called a "crippled" version. As far as I can tell now, the only differences are the "Essentials" box has lighter blues and some different print, and the program itself is without voice. GPS, but no voice. A box advises to go to microsoft.com/streets to upgrade to voice capability. Go there and the only choice seems to be to buy the full version.

This may be early days and changes may still be made, but that is what I've seen so far. I should hasten to admit that I'm a long-time S&T user (among others) but I am no expert. I hope those who know more (ie, almost everyone here!) will jump in with further information if it is warranted.

This still may be a good deal for some. Staples has Works 2006 on sale now for $89.95 CAD. In which case for $40 CAD more than their price for the full S&T you get the slightly crippled S&T plus Word, Works 8, Money, Digital Image and Encarta. A quick check shows it at $10 more at FutureShop and at about $99 U.S. in a few chains in the U.S.

Hope this info is of some use/interest to some, and that others might care to expand upon it.
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 28 oct. 2005 :  02:41:10  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Phil That's US$, but still I think the best price around at this time! But you already have your SiRFstarIII ;-)

Jim Here is what I found not for S&T, but rather for AR. But that's likely the same:

The differences between AutoRoute Euro 2006 in retail and AutoRoute Essentials 2006 are as follows:
• Driving Guidance and text-to-speech features are not enabled for Essentials
• Limited Optimised Stops functionality in Essentials
• No drive-time zones in Essentials

Go to Top of Page

ELEGEND_YVR

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 28 oct. 2005 :  03:23:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

GPS Receiver (only hardware): $ 84.90 [size=1]>>

Wow, excellent price!

Me confused....this seems to be a better deal (from previous post): GlobalSat BU-353 Water Proof USB GPS that is selling for $77.99.http://www.usglobalsat.com/item.asp?itemid=60
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 28 oct. 2005 :  04:20:06  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ELEGEND_YVR I was referring to the $ 104.90 price of the software & hardware bundle.

1. That beats the price (and quality) of the Microsoft "original" bundle

2. and it even beats by $10 the S&T + SiRFstarIII bundle offered by Semsons.com (who was the very first to offer S&T + SS3)

Hardware + software packages are easy and convenient purchase decisions especially for buyers who may worry about things like product compatibility. But, yes, if you are more knowledgeable you may get even better deals outside these bundles. For example look at the $ 69.99 price of USB SiRFstarIII by Semsons: http://store.yahoo.com/semsons-inc/is3usbgpsres.html

Go to Top of Page

ELEGEND_YVR

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 28 oct. 2005 :  04:39:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

ELEGEND_YVR I was referring to the $ 104.90 price of the software & hardware bundle[/size=1]

Martin, me still confused. S&T 2006 at Costco is $15 after rebate. The GlobalSat BU-353 is $78.00. Total is $93.00

The deal is even sweeter with the $69.00 i.Trek from Semsons.

Edited by - ELEGEND_YVR on 28 oct. 2005 04:43:20
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 28 oct. 2005 :  04:45:18  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
;-) Re-read my previous post.

Go to Top of Page

ELEGEND_YVR

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 28 oct. 2005 :  04:51:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Martin, gotcha...excellent price, but not the best price. :-)

BTW, the only reason I'm not getting one of these SiRF III units is they don't support the Garmin protocol and none of my Mapsource products will work using SiRF. Using S&T alone is not good enough as I also use Mapsource Topography software and Adriaroute. :-(
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 28 oct. 2005 :  04:58:44  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, it still is the BEST bundle price! But yes, you don't have to buy the "package". If you know what "parts" to buy, buy it individually and save even more ;-)

Go to Top of Page

jimclements

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - 28 oct. 2005 :  05:05:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by Marvin Hlavac

Phil That's US$, but still I think the best price around at this time! But you already have your SiRFstarIII ;-)

Jim Here is what I found not for S&T, but rather for AR. But that's likely the same:

Thank you, Marvin. I was intrigued by Microsoft "dumbing-down" for this edition of Works. To my mind it seems more a marketing ploy than likely a time or real-estate matter. It could also signal the start of a divergence of S&T for GPS use and S&T for reference and planning, I suppose. Interesting.
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 28 oct. 2005 :  20:05:15  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jim, I've never owned Microsoft Works so I cannot say for sure, but I think I recall reading some time ago that the included S&T did have some limitations in the past as well.

Go to Top of Page

elasticmedia

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 28 oct. 2005 :  22:26:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The power question is always a problem. Some laptops are more squirrely than others. Some car outlets are more problematic also.

My latest solution was to buy a compaq laptop automobile adaptor and the issue of the aftermarket adaptor shutting itself off is gone. Amen. With pricegrabber or froogle, it cost me about $70. It is a 90 watt model.

quote:

Go to Top of Page

elasticmedia

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 28 oct. 2005 :  22:42:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Problem: Streets & Trips considers the ramp as a different segment than the actual street that you are going to exit on. For the life of me, I can't imagine why that is done. Especially in a route where your exit is coming up in an area where there are a bunch of exits close together. I would consider this a major bug (Streets never comes out with an update/fix after the current year ships, right?)

I would hope that in 2007, if not sooner, this problem is rectified. If I am going to exit on the Miller Ave exit, I don't care about the ramp. I want to see "Take a right on Miller Ave in .2 miles."

Jim
Go to Top of Page

phil h

Canada
43 Posts

Posted - 28 oct. 2005 :  23:24:22  Show Profile  Visit phil h's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by elasticmedia

Problem: Streets & Trips considers the ramp as a different segment than the actual street that you are going to exit on. For the life of me, I can't imagine why that is done. Especially in a route where your exit is coming up in an area where there are a bunch of exits close together. I would consider this a major bug (Streets never comes out with an update/fix after the current year ships, right?)

I would hope that in 2007, if not sooner, this problem is rectified. If I am going to exit on the Miller Ave exit, I don't care about the ramp. I want to see "Take a right on Miller Ave in .2 miles."

Jim

I was coming back from Toronto airport eastbound, and she(S+T voice) kept saying something about a ramp, there was no ramp, it was express and collectors merging, I thought she was telling me to exit next ramp. good thing I knew where I was going, I agree, major bug, needs fixing, I can imagine this being a serious problem if I didn't know where I was going,getting off a highway when I was not supposed to.
Go to Top of Page

porciniman

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 28 oct. 2005 :  23:35:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I still see my position arrow bounce around (SiRF III) when parked..stopped at a red light..it will wonder as much as a block away. Especially problomatic when in urban canyons...such as NY, NY.
The tall buildings interfere with the signal too much, same as I experienced with the SiRF II chip , that originally came with S&T 2005.
It seems to be affected by the vibration of the car also, as if there is not enough gyroscopic compensation for vibration.
When stopping at a red light, or intersection, it will continue to stray upwards for 2-3 blocks away before coming back to approximately where I am, then tell me I'm moving between 1-3 MPH, even though I'm stopped.
It's accuracy with street addresses is of by more than 500 meters at times, even though I tried disabling the the turn map function.

It gets me to where I need to go, but this accuracy to within 10 meters..is way off.

It seems the gov't will not allow your chip to be super accurate, but at 4 AM, in the middle of nowhere and it's really dark, it can become frustrating.

I've also noticed, that if it loses the sat signal, it will sometimes have a hard time acquiring the signal again.
I will have to use the "configuire GPS" option again, in order to reacquire the signal.

If I try to use the "recompute my destination" from present location (F3) function, it will tell me I'm in Timbucto on the planet, when in reality, I'm in "onebucto!"

All in all, it will get me to my destination, but I still have to use some of my Lewis & Clarke expertise.
I hope MS will address thes issues in the future.

Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 28 oct. 2005 :  23:43:21  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
> When stopping at a red light, or intersection, it will
> continue to stray upwards for 2-3 blocks away before
> coming back to approximately where I am.

If the above occurs even when the receiver has a good view of the sky in all directions it is possible you have a faulty unit.

Go to Top of Page

data102

2 Posts

Posted - 29 oct. 2005 :  01:09:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marvin,
Way back in this thread you said that you plugged in the USB GPS reciever and changed the port number to test the capabilities at S&T finding it on port 100.

I am currently looking at getting Autoroute 2006 and a reciever. How do you assign a port number to the reciever? can you please point me at some more info?

Many thanks
Data
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 29 oct. 2005 :  01:47:16  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Data. Welcome to the forums. You really don't need to concern yourself with this at all (especially with this new S&T 06). Changing port numbers might have been necessary on some people’s computers in the past if Windows assigned a too high com port number to your GPS receiver and older S&T version could not see such high number. Now I doubt any user will have issue with this.

But if you wish to know: Right-click My Computer icon on your desktop, select Properties > Hardware > Device Manager > click the + sign in front of Ports > right-click the name of your GPS receiver > Properties > Port Settings > Advanced > change the com port number.

Go to Top of Page

jimclements

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - 29 oct. 2005 :  02:58:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by Marvin Hlavac

Jim, I've never owned Microsoft Works so I cannot say for sure, but I think I recall reading some time ago that the included S&T did have some limitations in the past as well.

Thank you, Marvin. I've not owned Works before either. I've just been going by the press releases, advertising and pic on the Works box. To the best of my recall Works 2005 said something about "full versions." In part that is why S&T Essentialscaught my eye. From the box description, and the conspicuous lack of a mention of voice, I assumed it would be one of the non-essentials.

Still, I wanted another Word, Works 8 is handy and I've always liked Encarta-- even when it was the old World Book -- and having it on HD as well as the Premium version online is a use of HD space, rather than a waste of it. I need all the help I can get.

For my kind of use it will suffice, despite the lack of voice directions I think. At least for awhile. And I can, likely will upgrade by next summer. I've got three copies of the 2005, and at least one or two of each of the other years.

For most here, S&T is a Passion. For me it is a weakness. As are encyclopedias. Cheers!
Go to Top of Page

data102

2 Posts

Posted - 29 oct. 2005 :  17:58:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Marvin,

I thought it must be something like that but I have no USB devices appear in the ports section of that list so I could not see how it worked.

I don't yet have the reciever or Autoroute yet but your real indepth review has more than convinced me that I should invest the cash.
I have autoroute 2004 and have always found that great so I was hoping that 2006 would be as good. It should definatley serve my purpose well as I used to be a truck driver here in the UK and I don't drive nearly as much as I used to, I will possibly not use it much here but it will certainly get some use on holiday next year.
Many thanks
Data
Go to Top of Page

Alan_

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 31 oct. 2005 :  03:17:43  Show Profile  Visit Alan_'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
I received my iGuidance software yesterday (Saturday) and it's a great product! The voice instructions are great and if you have the time you can watch a demo complete with super maps and voice directions of your destination. It's a shame it's not a trip planner. It seem like you have the best of everything with S&T 2006 combined with iGuidance while using Franson GPSGate software :)
It's a shame neither product been able to combine the best features of each to produce one great GPS software.
My wish for both Streets & Trips and iGuidance is to have a service where we could download updated maps.

Edited by - Alan_ on 31 oct. 2005 03:20:37
Go to Top of Page

CraigGiven

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 01 nov. 2005 :  21:19:51  Show Profile  Visit CraigGiven's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

> When stopping at a red light, or intersection, it will
> continue to stray upwards for 2-3 blocks away before
> coming back to approximately where I am.

If the above occurs even when the receiver has a good view of the sky in all directions it is possible you have a faulty unit.

I've seen a couple of different chipsets which have the "slingshot" effect. When moving, the GPS factors in the bearing and speed from the last good satellite reading. So if you come to a stop in a canyon, it will overshoot your actual position. As soon as it get's a good reading it snaps back to your actual location. Perhaps your GPS is doing this kind of averaging.
Go to Top of Page

dumpper

Canada
118 Posts

Posted - 01 nov. 2005 :  21:40:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
phil There have been LOTS of changes in Toronto's 401 HWY & airport area in the past 2-3 years (due to the new terminal), and there were some ramps that got demolished while new ones were built within a few short months from one another. The maps in S&T have never been able to keep up with these changes, so don't bother to precisely locate a ramp when you're driving in that area. While you're there, the GPS is only as useful as a safety device to keep you from hitting the plane runway !
Go to Top of Page

phil h

Canada
43 Posts

Posted - 01 nov. 2005 :  22:10:20  Show Profile  Visit phil h's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dumpper

phil There have been LOTS of changes in Toronto's 401 HWY & airport area in the past 2-3 years (due to the new terminal), and there were some ramps that got demolished while new ones were built within a few short months from one another. The maps in S&T have never been able to keep up with these changes, so don't bother to precisely locate a ramp when you're driving in that area. While you're there, the GPS is only as useful as a safety device to keep you from hitting the plane runway !

thanx man, I'll keep that in mind
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 02 nov. 2005 :  02:34:38  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jim you have three copies of the 2005, and at least one or two of each of the other years? Yeah, I'd say you do have a weakness for this stuff ;-) Just like all of us here ;-)

Data102 yes, it is much simpler than it seems. Nothing to worry about ;-)

Alan Yes, with S&T + iGuidance you have everything you need! Congratulations and enjoy!

Craig I think that receiver is just simply faulty. It should not behave like that at all. He should exchange it.

Dummper Yes, you are right. I don't even know if the construction is over at the airport, but yes, it will take a few years till the new roads make it to navigation products. I always get lost at the airport, and I've been there so many times already. I suspect Phil knows the airport much better than anyone of us, though. No need for him to use S&T in that area.

Go to Top of Page

dumpper

Canada
118 Posts

Posted - 02 nov. 2005 :  16:48:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@Marvin: Nothing too relevant, but I've been involving in some parts with the airport construction & saw "the blue prints" of what to come before things getting built ... At this point of time, the project will take at least another 5 slowly years ... I guess I'd see all the changes to be implemented in S&T 2010+ perhaps ?!?!
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 02 nov. 2005 :  17:32:08  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Yes, that would be realistic, but even when the maps are finally updated in GPS navigation products I suspect GPS will still not be too useful in such difficult environment where you may have one road running in parallel on top of another, or where simply too many roads are just too close to each other.

I just always slow down and try to follow the signs ;-) (and the chance is good I will still get lost

Go to Top of Page

pauliewalnuts

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 02 nov. 2005 :  22:44:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ive read alot of what has been posted on these 29 pages and i am eager to buy Microsoft Streets & Trips....however after doing the reading it appears that most everyone here suggest getting the regular version without the gps reciever and going out and buying your own compatible gps reciever that is SiRF III.

seeing as i am new to the world of GPS, could someone please post some links of compatible GPS recievers that i could use with Microsoft Streets and Trips.

thanks

josh
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 03 nov. 2005 :  00:54:10  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Josh, welcome to GpsPasSion Forums! Today (November 2, 2005) as far as I know all GPS receivers on the market which contain the new SiRFstarIII chipset are compatible with S&T. Choose based on what type of connection you require, for example USB, serial, Bluetooth, or more than one type.

BU-353 - USB

BR-355 - ends with PS2 plug which accepts a variety of adapters (USB, serial, PDA types)

i.Trek S3 USB (same as BU-353)

i.Trek S3 (same as BR-355)

BT-338 - Bluetooth, well over 15 hours of battery life

GPSlim 236 - Bluetooth (and/or USB with optional cable), 10 hours battery life (or powered via the optional USB cable)

Edited by - Marvin Hlavac on 03 nov. 2005 03:14:03
Go to Top of Page

pauliewalnuts

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 03 nov. 2005 :  02:48:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for the replys...i went out and bought streets & trips from walmart for $29.99...and am currently looking for the usb adapter.

thanks so much for the info above...the cheapest i could find one for was this one... http://www.buygpsnow.com/item.aspx?itemid=455

if anyone else knows of any cheaper ones please let me know ASAP, otherwise it looks like ill be ordering this one.

thanks again

josh
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 03 nov. 2005 :  03:08:08  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
$69 may indeed be the best price around (now someone will say they saw it on eBay for a few bucks less). BuyGPSnow.com is a reputable store (and a supporter of this site, too).

Go to Top of Page

pauliewalnuts

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 03 nov. 2005 :  03:35:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so the one that i posted will def. work with S&T?
Go to Top of Page

pauliewalnuts

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 03 nov. 2005 :  04:01:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well i just order it...thanks so much for all the help!!!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 03 nov. 2005 :  10:50:15  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes it will work very well with S&T. Enjoy it, and let us know how it works for you.

Go to Top of Page

corona

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 03 nov. 2005 :  16:07:07  Show Profile  Visit corona's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Martin,

I really prefer the "terrain view" of the program compared to the default "road view". Is there a tweak in an .ini file or something I can do to change the behavior of the program? I'd like it to always start in my preferred view method.

Thanks!

Corona

a.k.a.
-SBK|d00mz
Shoutcast DJ, Chief Technical Officer
SBKRadio.net
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 03 nov. 2005 :  16:50:06  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Corona yes, it is doable very easily (save as template). This is perhaps one of those settings which S&T should remember automatically upon exiting the program. Dumpper suggested it the other day in our Wish List thead.

For the time being we have to go thru the process of saving the map as template after changing our preferences. Go to S&T Tips & Tricks (link in my signature) and read tip # 6 titled: Customize how Streets & Trips opens

Go to Top of Page

corona

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 03 nov. 2005 :  17:02:07  Show Profile  Visit corona's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This board ROCKS!

Corona

a.k.a.
-SBK|d00mz
Shoutcast DJ, Chief Technical Officer
SBKRadio.net
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 03 nov. 2005 :  17:41:40  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Go to Top of Page

rondi

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 04 nov. 2005 :  01:56:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for this great forum.. i just bought MS S&T 2006 for use with my Toshiba laptop.

There is nothing on the System Requirements about the Type of GPS. so my question is:

Has anyone tried a CF GPS or SD GPS or PCMCIA GPS unit with S&T 2006?
if so which model have you used?

is there any reason to believe any of those will not work?

i know this is an MS thread, but has anyone used a CF or SD PCMCIA GPS with Street Atlas 9?

the GlobalSat BC-337 SiRF Star III looks interesting.

tia,
ron
Go to Top of Page

ELEGEND_YVR

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 04 nov. 2005 :  08:11:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
rondi, sorry for the stupid question. but how would you benefit by using this receiver as opposed to the various, and presumably better USB receivers out there? just wondering.
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 04 nov. 2005 :  13:04:15  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
CF and SD are convenient for PDA's, but I'm not sure how one would go about connecting it successfully to a laptop. I'm not saying it is impossible, I just never tried myself, and I never heard of anyone doing it. There would also likely have to be a software driver to create a virtual port.

Go to Top of Page

drozone

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 04 nov. 2005 :  13:50:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have attached my older Pharos CF GPS to my laptop. I purchased a CF PC card adapter around $7 at Amazon. Pharos has the driver available on their website. The main problem is that the GPS can't find enough satellites sometime (too many) while the laptop is sitting on the passenger seat. I plan to get a BT GPS and the a CF/ BT card for my pocket PC. This way I can use it with either my laptop of PPC.
Go to Top of Page

rondi

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 04 nov. 2005 :  16:18:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i should have mentioned--my Toshiba S231 laptop has a CF & SD card reader builtin on the side, next to the pcmcia slot. No bluetooth, but it has WIFI. and NO serial interface--so i can't use my Garmin 3+, unless i get a Serial to USB adaptor, but i read somewhere that Serial to USB adaptors don't work well with GPS--or maybe it was just Garmin.

i'm trying to do 2 things here--- i also have a 1998 Dell I7k, with W98 (not SE) and a
garmin 3+, this system uses Street Atlas 9. I looked at what W98SE and W2k are selling for on Ebay--- $70!, and i figure i can do better than that by buying a new GPS for the Toshiba. my preferance would be-- no connecting wires between the GPS and Laptop, so my feeble brain thinks--well why not have a GPS which can plug into an existing slot. Maybe a better choice is the PCMCIA GPS, which is a bit more expensive, or a USB-Bluetooth dongle and a Bluetooth GPS.

thanks for any of your thoughts--and sorry if this is OT. But i definately want MS S&T 2006 to interface with whatever GPS i buy.

ron

Edited by - rondi on 04 nov. 2005 16:32:05
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2015_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 5,27 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05