Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2401

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Software
 MS Streets and Trips, AutoRoute, and MapPoint
 What's New Streets & Trips 2006 / AutoRoute 2006
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

GMAN62465

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 06 oct. 2005 :  23:56:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just picked up my copy at Comp USA in Norwalk, Connecticut USA

Both 2005 and 2006 were on the shelves and the date on the inventory sticker was 10/04/2005. I did previously call and was told it was not available yet.

If you want it, I feel that you must go to the store and look yourselves.

I paid 39.95 US dollars for my copy.

Good luck and Happy Hunting!!

GMAN
Go to Top of Page

Craig Voss

5 Posts

Posted - 07 oct. 2005 :  00:53:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone in California USA found a retail store with it on the shelf? Ive looked EVERYWHERE!
Go to Top of Page

AvisTow

Canada
94 Posts

Posted - 07 oct. 2005 :  01:21:26  Show Profile  Visit AvisTow's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I checked out a couple Future Shops in the GTA, and a Staples, NOT IN YET!?!

Funny thing I noticed at the one Future Shop (in Brampton), they STILL had a copy of S&T 2004 for $65.00, and S&T 2005 sitting right next to it for $40.00!!??!!

I am sure that some day S&T 2006 will appear in the Toronto area......
Go to Top of Page

dumpper

Canada
118 Posts

Posted - 07 oct. 2005 :  01:49:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Same frustration here ... For those in Canada who expect to see S&T 2006 in a local retail store anytime now, good luck ... I'm taking a deep breath & will try to forget about it until next month ... (I don't like shopping online unless absolutely necessary, ie. when the item would be available online only!)

It's a pity that I'm driving away from town this Canadian holiday weekend without the new software to test it ...

Edited by - dumpper on 07 oct. 2005 01:52:23
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 07 oct. 2005 :  02:03:18  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Don't give up, it will show up is stores very soon even here in Canada. I remember last year Future Shop had it on their shelves the same time as US stores. My guess would be we have a very good chance of seeing it in stores tomorrow here in Canada as well. And as Gman on this page and Mjaw on page 9 of this thread said do not trust the people on the phone. Most of them will only tell you what they see on their computer system. But if they just received a new item it may not be in the system even though it is on the shelves.

Wayne that is funny. S&T 04 $65, S&T 05 $40, and perhaps you will see S&T 06 on the same shelf tomorrow selling for $35 LOL ;-) Some people may actually buy the most expensive one! Hey, you get what you pay for LOL ;-)

Marvin Hlavac - Toronto, Canada

Edited by - Marvin Hlavac on 07 oct. 2005 02:04:25
Go to Top of Page

dumpper

Canada
118 Posts

Posted - 07 oct. 2005 :  02:19:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the mean time, Microsoft already posted official infos about the 2006 version here:
http://www.microsoft.com/streets/products.aspx

(oops, admin can delete my post here ... didn't realize somebody has posted it already)

Edited by - dumpper on 07 oct. 2005 02:24:58
Go to Top of Page

strafer69

2 Posts

Posted - 07 oct. 2005 :  02:57:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Try Sam's Club if you have one where you live, they have them in stock in their stores and the price is only $24.27 :)
Go to Top of Page

dumpper

Canada
118 Posts

Posted - 07 oct. 2005 :  03:15:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, there're a few Sam's Club (a division of Wal-Mart) around me - I'll check tomorrow before my away trip, since they're already closed at local time ... If true, $25.00 (CDN) sounds like a good deal, but you first have to cough up at least $40.00 (CDN) to get a 1-year membership ! Will see if it's worth it or wait ...
Go to Top of Page

Balthazar B

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 07 oct. 2005 :  03:26:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Marvin:

How is the smartkeys revision for S&T2006 coming along?

Go to Top of Page

Mschadt

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 07 oct. 2005 :  05:04:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dumpper

Yes, there're a few Sam's Club (a division of Wal-Mart) around me - I'll check tomorrow before my away trip, since they're already closed at local time ... If true, $25.00 (CDN) sounds like a good deal, but you first have to cough up at least $40.00 (CDN) to get a 1-year membership ! Will see if it's worth it or wait ...

I know at the Sam’s in Houston you can buy a 1-day membership, I'm not sure for how much though, and there's nothing about it on the web site, you might try it though. The Sam’s here in Waco didn't have it. Neither did Circuit City or Barns & Nobel’s. But, the Best Buy did even though their web said they didn't.
Go to Top of Page

admin_0

1 Posts

Posted - 07 oct. 2005 :  17:45:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have they added the ability to import/export tracks (in addition to pushpin sets) or view track point properties (lat, long, date, time, altitude) to this version?
Go to Top of Page

admin_0

1 Posts

Posted - 07 oct. 2005 :  22:13:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can anyone tell me the details of downloading from Streets and Tips onto my SmartPhone (Audiovox 5600 running Windows Mobile 2003).

I understand that it will use "Pocket Maps", but what functionality will there be on my phone? Just map viewing (no routes or guidance)?

Thanks for all the great insight in this forum...

Jay
Go to Top of Page

CraigGiven

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 07 oct. 2005 :  22:45:04  Show Profile  Visit CraigGiven's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billmaurer

Have they added the ability to import/export tracks (in addition to pushpin sets) or view track point properties (lat, long, date, time, altitude) to this version?

I'm using the free ST2GPX to extract lat/lon from 2005. It will convert pushpins, lines (arcs), and polygons to coordinates. You can edit the resulting GPX file in a text editor or use GPSbabel to get it into other formats (such as CSV).

I doubt the maps contain altitude data.
Go to Top of Page

CraigGiven

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 07 oct. 2005 :  22:53:21  Show Profile  Visit CraigGiven's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by douglasjaymiller

I understand that it will use "Pocket Maps", but what functionality will there be on my phone? Just map viewing (no routes or guidance)?

Nope, it doesn't do routes or guidance. The functionality is just map viewing, which includes POIs and your pushpins. The pushpins can be created on the desktop or on the PDA.

In S&T you marquee an area that you want to be a map. Right-click and export it as a Pocket Streets file (it will complain if you select too big of an area -- varies by road/POI density). You will get an .MPS file (the map) and possibly a .PSP file (if there are pushpins). Copy these to your PDA (not more than 1 subirectory deep). Install and open PocketStreets. In the menu use /Menu /Map /Open map and select your map. You can also tap the .MPS or .PSP file in your PDA's File Explorer to open them.
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 07 oct. 2005 :  22:57:27  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Has anyone seen it in Canada yet? Some US stores already have it, but nothing yet around here.

Balthazar New S&Tkeys version (hotkeys for S&T 06) should be out by the end of this weekend. I'm a bit frustrated because some functions of S&T 06 are not accessible by keyboard (they are not on the Menu bar, only in GPS task pane). And because of that it may not be as good as I it could :(

Edited by - Marvin Hlavac on 07 oct. 2005 22:58:48
Go to Top of Page

91stealthrt2

14 Posts

Posted - 07 oct. 2005 :  23:00:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't found any stores here in WA state, but I did find a nice deal for the gps receiver on ebay..

http://cgi.ebay.com/GlobalSat-BU-353-Water-Proof-USB-GPS-Receiver-SIRF-III_W0QQitemZ5815984733QQcategoryZ32848QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks again Marvin! I can't wait to play with gps, I like to take cruises around the area, Now I can go just "drive" and always be able to find my way home(not that there has ever been a problem) :)

Now I just need to hardwire my power inverter into my car so that I can have more than 2 hrs of laptop battery life! Damn P4 w/o centrino!
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 07 oct. 2005 :  23:08:52  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
3 more hours to go! Good luck!

Yes, once you try traveling with GPS you will NEVER want to go back to traveling without it. And till you try it you have no idea what you are missing ;-)

Go to Top of Page

91stealthrt2

14 Posts

Posted - 07 oct. 2005 :  23:47:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They actually have a lot more all with the same price, so if anyone wants it grab it ;)
Go to Top of Page

tedpeer

27 Posts

Posted - 08 oct. 2005 :  00:01:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well,

In Des Moines, Iowa a Best Buy had it (40 - 10 rebate), CompUSA did not :(, Sam's Club did (30 no rebate +10% for non-member one day shopper), WalMart next to Sam's Club did not.

Gonna wait until Sunday's ads, and see what Best Buy has it for...

Ted
Go to Top of Page

91stealthrt2

14 Posts

Posted - 08 oct. 2005 :  01:01:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will just buy it sometime next week.... Amazon, has it for 39 shipped after tax for me...
Go to Top of Page

schneid

202 Posts

Posted - 08 oct. 2005 :  01:22:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just curious but where did you order from? I live in Carson City, NV, and Amazon has a giant distribution center about thirty miles east. Wonder why do you pay tax and I don't?
Go to Top of Page

91stealthrt2

14 Posts

Posted - 08 oct. 2005 :  01:37:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
amazon is based out of wa... :( I don't think I will order from them because they don't ship the item for 5+ days when using the free shipping.. So I will just buy it at a local retailer and spend 3 dollars more and KNOW I will get it in time for my trip in 2 weeks.

Walmart's website showed it for sale for 25, probably after rebate, but I hate that place ;)

Edited by - 91stealthrt2 on 08 oct. 2005 01:40:16
Go to Top of Page

Tim Miser

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 08 oct. 2005 :  02:25:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found it in stock in Washington State for 91stealthrt2. It is in stock at the Southcenter CompUSA next door to Best Buy.

Enjoy!

-Tim
Go to Top of Page

91stealthrt2

14 Posts

Posted - 08 oct. 2005 :  02:46:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Tim, I guess if I get desperate i can make the 3 hour round trip (but with gas prices I think I will just wait for a local store, I am sure that Compusa in tacoma probably has it also, but I am down near olympia.
Go to Top of Page

Tim Miser

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 08 oct. 2005 :  03:20:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been messing around with my new copy and have noticed that the WiFi location finder thinks I am in New York! I'm really in Seattle using comcast.

-Tim
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 08 oct. 2005 :  03:34:46  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tim, my WiFi location finder doesn't think anything LOL. It just simply doesn't work up here. I guess Canada (or at least my portion of it) is not in the WiFi database. And since it cannot use the WiFi it will at least use my IP to locate me ;-) At this point I consider that feature just an interesting toy. It cannot replace GPS of course ;-)

Go to Top of Page

tdob

11 Posts

Posted - 08 oct. 2005 :  04:17:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I am going to be buying this USB GPS Receiver... http://www.gpscentral.ca/products/usglobalsat/bu303.htm

I want to know some basic things. I have a laptop that im going to solely use for my GPS in the car. Will S&T 2006 do a good job at telling me where to go through voice activation? Will it know if I have passed the turn and re-calculate the route? Is it reliable?

What kind of coverage can I expect with this receiver in places like Downtown Toronto where there are lots of high rise buildings?

Thanks for any help.
Go to Top of Page

hotweiss

40 Posts

Posted - 08 oct. 2005 :  06:17:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you are going to buy a receiver, buy one with a SIRF III chipset.
Go to Top of Page

tdob

11 Posts

Posted - 08 oct. 2005 :  16:30:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This one has a "SiRF Star-II high performance and low power consumption chipset.

Is that good?
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 08 oct. 2005 :  17:45:25  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good it should be, but like Hotweiss has suggested you may be better off to go with one that has the new generation SiRFstarIII chipset. It will benefit you especially in "difficult" areas where the GPS receiver does not have clear view of the sky in all directions.

Gpspassion has taken the time to compare GPS receivers based on variety of chipsets, here is the link: http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/articles.asp?id=143

Go to Top of Page

GMAN62465

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 08 oct. 2005 :  20:59:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TDOB - Will it know if I have passed the turn and re-calculate the route?

There is no automatic recalculation feature in the S&T yet... :(

GMAN
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 08 oct. 2005 :  21:43:34  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The following link should bring you to the posting on page # 2 of this thread which describes how the feature works >> click here <<

Go to Top of Page

91stealthrt2

14 Posts

Posted - 08 oct. 2005 :  23:25:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well, I got my copy :)

After calling every electronics store closer to me I ended up driving 45 minutes to Compusa, and the tacoma store said they didn't have it, but the puyallup store did, go figure. They had a lot of the GPS versions sitting on the shelf.

I haven't got much time using it yet, but the wifi feature is not finding my location at all, And I am on a wireless router.. hmm...

Edited by - 91stealthrt2 on 08 oct. 2005 23:41:42
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 08 oct. 2005 :  23:34:04  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I wonder how many of the stores who said they didn't have it actually did have it ;-)

Go to Top of Page

hotweiss

40 Posts

Posted - 09 oct. 2005 :  01:25:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"TDOB - Will it know if I have passed the turn and re-calculate the route?

There is no automatic recalculation feature in the S&T yet... :(

GMAN"

They have to give you a reason to upgrade to the 2007 version:) There are some pretty nice GPS systems (especially Japanese ones that we never see here) out their on the market that are near perfect that Microsoft could copy and make a perfect Streets and Trips. They have a marketing plan where by each year they will have new features that will keep you buying newer versions. What's the point of making a perfect product? People will buy the first version and that's it. Microsoft didn't make itself rich by making perfect products.

Edited by - hotweiss on 09 oct. 2005 01:43:21
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 09 oct. 2005 :  03:24:40  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, a lot of navigation products these days could be called almost perfect. They all have been designed with the driver in mind: easy of use, simplicity, intuitiveness, etc.

S&T started about 10 years ago as a desktop product for planning a trip at home and printing it. S&T may be the very best product in its (trip planning) category actually. Now Microsoft is finally adding even GPS functionality to it, but some people would say that this could be done in a better way.

For planning a trip while the car is not moving the Windows interface is excellent. But once the car starts moving the Windows GUI may not be the best suited for the task.

We can only speculate what Microsoft will do with S&T in the future. I don't think there is any kind of conspiracy going on here: not implementing some features just to keep users wanting to upgrade next year No, that doesn't seem plausible. And it likely is even pointless to try to speculate because more often than not speculating about these things leads to wrong conclusions anyway. But having said that I would just think reasons are likely much simpler: the guys working on the product don't have the resources to do more than they have done.

All we can do is to wait till S&T 07. In the mean time let’s use the products that we feel suit our needs the best, and let's keep an eye on S&T a year from now again ;-)

Edited by - Marvin Hlavac on 09 oct. 2005 19:02:25
Go to Top of Page

GMAN62465

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 09 oct. 2005 :  04:49:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In reading the back of the box I see a bulletpoint that says... " Easily change your route using the patented drag and drop Snap Route Technology"

What would this be?? How do I use something that I cannot find?? Any ideas??

Thanks,

GMAN
Go to Top of Page

GMAN62465

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 09 oct. 2005 :  04:58:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nevermind... I searched the help files and found this...

Add a stop by dragging a route segment
Select the route by clicking it on the map.
When selected, the route changes color from green to blue, and your mouse pointer changes to a small white flag when it is positioned over the route.

From anywhere along the segment of the route where you want the new stop to appear, drag to the location you want to add as the new stop.
A dotted line stretches from the current route to wherever you drag.

Release the mouse button.
Your route snaps, or is redrawn, to include the new stop and the subsequent stops are renumbered.

Notes
If you select your route on the map and then decide not to add a stop, press ESC.

The new stop is added as an intermediate stop on your route and does not replace the existing start or end point. If you want to make the new stop a start or end point, reorder the stops on the Route Planner.

If you don't like the placement of your new stop, you can zoom in to see more detail, click the numbered box on the map, and then drag the stop to another location. Streets & Trips automatically regenerates your route.

GMAN

Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 09 oct. 2005 :  05:12:57  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, this is actually a very powerful feature which allowes you to very quickly modify a plotted route.

(Btw, this is not a new feature.)

Go to Top of Page

porciniman

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 09 oct. 2005 :  17:48:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi: first time poster.
I've been using S&T 2005 for over a year, with no GPS.
The reason...the receiver was not that sensitive and lost the signal frequently.
At any rate, I was impressed enough by the reviews here, to purchase S&T 2006, and, based on posted advice, I purchased the i.Trek S3 USB GPS Receiver, since it's reported to have more sensitivity.

I'm a chauffeur; travel all over the US East coast.
When I'm in VT, NH or Canada @ 3:30 in the morning, it's very DARK!!!!!!
Good for star viewing in the night sky along the way, but not so good if I've got no idea where I am on the orb!

The Reciever that came with 2005 drove me nuts on tree lined streets, especially since most of the towns up there seem to be on an austerity program!!! (NO STREET SIGNS!!!)
There are polls, but no sign aloft!

In places like NY, NY..midtown especially(AKA urban canyons) I had the same problem with the receiver...lost signal!

After reading how sensitive this new receiver is..."even under a car seat", I believe I read..... and how much improved v 2006 is, I decided to give it another try.

It will be here 10/11, at which time I can give it a test drive.
I guess that's a pun....

If I find, that I get the same "Can not find Sats" window, that happened with v 2005, I will ..ahh...err...get lost!!!!!LOL!

Thanks for all your insight and support!
Cheers, VB

The greatest problem in communication is the illusion it has taken place.
Go to Top of Page

phil h

Canada
43 Posts

Posted - 09 oct. 2005 :  18:14:57  Show Profile  Visit phil h's Homepage  Reply with Quote
does anyone have the microsoft GPS receiver?
and how does it work in downtown Toronto?
I didn't read porciniman's post before I posted this question.
I too am a Chauffeur, I own a limousine company in Oshawa Ontsrio.
I am considering buying the microsoft S&T.

Edited by - phil h on 09 oct. 2005 18:21:10
Go to Top of Page

porciniman

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 09 oct. 2005 :  18:33:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phil h

does anyone have the microsoft GPS receiver?
and how does it work in downtown Toronto?
I didn't read porciniman's post before I posted this question.
I too am a Chauffeur, I own a limousine company in Oshawa Ontsrio.
I am considering buying the microsoft S&T.

Thanks for the post...I find it difficult, probably as you, to make an informed purchase.
We all on the net. want succint info, as to how the product works in the real world.

Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 09 oct. 2005 :  18:57:50  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I never owned the MS receiver, but I have heard opinions of others who have owned it and were able to compare it to other receivers. It seems to be a bit less sensitive even when compared to the units which contain the same chipset. But you will see a dramatic difference when you compare it to any unit based on SiRFstarIII.

I would not recommend however to deprive any kind of receiver of good satellite signal by placing it in an inferior location (for example under seat, in glove box, etc). While a SiRFstarIII unit will likely work, you will not get the full advantage of the excellent technology especially when in more difficult environments.

Why buy old technology when you can have the newest technology for the same amount of money ;-)

Go to Top of Page

phil h

Canada
43 Posts

Posted - 09 oct. 2005 :  19:40:44  Show Profile  Visit phil h's Homepage  Reply with Quote
good point marvin.
I would just rather not buy anything online if I can get it in a local shop,noone seems to know where to get one(gps receiver) in or near Toronto.when buyin from the U.S.,cuatoms and shipping make the price a lot more too,plus the difficulty in returning it.it would be worth a drive of an hour or so to buy one in Canada.
Go to Top of Page

Stan birch

Canada
7 Posts

Posted - 09 oct. 2005 :  20:14:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin Hlavac

I never owned the MS receiver, but I have heard opinions of others who have owned it and were able to compare it to other receivers. It seems to be a bit less sensitive even when compared to the units which contain the same chipset. But you will see a dramatic difference when you compare it to any unit based on SiRFstarIII.

We've travelled some 20,000 km with our big-front-window motorhome with the MS receiver, and really haven't experienced any significant problems with the unit. The only time we've ever lost contact, was while "camping" under heavy tree-foliage-cover.

Beyond that, I can only specultate, that picking up a continuously differing array of satellites in downtown Toronto, isn't going to represent a major navigational challenge. It does't take a whole lot of satellites to provide you with reasonably accurate navigational info.

Stan Birch
Newmarket, Ontario
Go to Top of Page

phil h

Canada
43 Posts

Posted - 09 oct. 2005 :  21:31:23  Show Profile  Visit phil h's Homepage  Reply with Quote
thanx stan, if I could find a Canadian supplier of a better receiver I would buy one, either in-sore or online, anyone know of a Canadian supplier of the BU-353 or i.Trek S3 USB

Edited by - phil h on 09 oct. 2005 21:34:36
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 09 oct. 2005 :  21:49:53  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote

S&Tkeys

Hotkeys for MS Streets & Trips 2006

MS AutoRoute users click >>here<<

S&Tkeys is a small add-on for Microsoft Streets & Trips 2006. It simplifies the use of the navigation program by giving you a one-click access to the most frequently used features.

S&Tkeys and MS Streets & Trips 2006 offer the following keyboard shortcuts:

S&Tkeys doesn’t require any installation. It is just one single small file (less than 190 KB), which you can download to any location on your computer, for example your desktop. Click on the icon and enjoy the simplified usage of Microsoft Streets & Trips. If you no longer want it on your computer, then just delete that one file and nothing remains on your machine. It’s that simple.

Download the new S&Tkeys version FREE from S&Tkeys page: http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=24519

P.S. Some features are not easily (reliably) accessible via keyboard in Streets & Trips 2006 so unfortunately it may not be possible to implement these in S&Tkeys (for example: Keeps Position Centred, and Use Dynamic Turn View).

Go to Top of Page

Nats

8 Posts

Posted - 09 oct. 2005 :  21:55:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the 05 version with the MS reciever and have travelled all over Ont and to NYC and back with it and it worked just fine. The only problem of not recieving a signal was when i was parked in a covered area for an extended time. I know in the durham region some new subdivisions are not on the 05 version. So not to sure how well it would work for a limo company looking for residential addreses in the case of new subdivisions. I'm sure 06 has been updated somewhat but with the rate of growth around here there would still be some missing!

Nats
A proud member of the GMan school of Mobile Tracking!
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 09 oct. 2005 :  23:19:04  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
SiRFstarII versus SiRFstarIII (indoor side-by-side test)

Some time ago, when I was still too excited about my new SiRFstarIII receiver, I did the above comparison screenshot. I was driving inside a local new car dealership repair facility. While indoor, I was doing a side by side comparison of two receivers: one based on SiRFstarIIe/LP chip and the other based on the new SiRFstarIII chip.

The new unit had no problem tracking my position in this indoor structure, while the old technology was completely useless there.

Having said that, in real driving situations perhaps even more than 95% of the time I have always been just fine with the old SiRFstar2. It was only when I found myself in the midst of tall buildings of downtown areas that difficulties occurred. Those are the areas where SiRFstarIII technology outperforms everything else ;-)

And just to add to the postings from the previous page, yes, I to prefer to just walk into a local store and enjoy "instant gratification" But unfortunately for most of us there may not be a local supplier of GPS receivers based on SiRFstarIII chipset. I have in the past dealt with Semsons.com and I even had to return an item twice. It was always an overwhelmingly pleasant experience. Others on GpsPasSion Forums have posted similar positive feedback. Semsons.com is actually one of several sponsors of this website and you can very likely see their ad even on this page. I would never hesitate to order anything from them (and actually a few days ago I did place an order with them on behalf of a friend of mine).

Edited by - Marvin Hlavac on 09 oct. 2005 23:39:02
Go to Top of Page

AvisTow

Canada
94 Posts

Posted - 10 oct. 2005 :  02:03:07  Show Profile  Visit AvisTow's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Being a Tow Truck Driver, I put 100,000 km on the truck per year, so I would have about 130,000 km on my Microsoft GPS unit that came with S&T 2005. I have it placed on the dash of the truck with the cord tucked into the trim to keep it from sliding around, and it has worked just fine for me, sure the odd time I loose my signal when I go under a bridge (but that is normal).

When I finally get a copy of S&T 2006 I will continue to use the same GPS unit, what is that old saying... "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

I am sure Marvin knows all the GPS stores in the Toronto area, I only know of one off the top of my head, it is on Steeles Avenue just east of Highway 400, on the south side of the road, a place called RadioWorld (www.radioworld.ca).

I hope this helps out!

Oh, an Happy Thanksgiving to all the Canadain members!!!
Go to Top of Page

tdob

11 Posts

Posted - 10 oct. 2005 :  02:42:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry if this is the wrong place, but what I want to do is this:

Use a laptop and a GPS receiver in my car.

I want software that will tell me when to turn (voice activated). Im having trouble finding anything other than S & T.

Is there a better (possibly more economic solution) solution, or is S & T my best bet?
Go to Top of Page

tedpeer

27 Posts

Posted - 10 oct. 2005 :  03:40:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I can honestly say I am not impressed with the new features in S&T 2006. Took it for a drive today. What was Microsoft thinking? Gave us a new voice, but no way to change it to another voice? What an unfortunate implementation choice... :)

It crashed, dumped my machine and rebooted. Not sure why... Gonna research the issue that was known with 2005. To early to say, but it might still be around.

The driving directions are not implemented to well either. Cannot resize the screen it takes up past a certain size (trying to reduce the size it takes.)

POIs and routing are still great...

Ted
Go to Top of Page

AvisTow

Canada
94 Posts

Posted - 10 oct. 2005 :  03:46:58  Show Profile  Visit AvisTow's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tdob

Sorry if this is the wrong place, but what I want to do is this:

Use a laptop and a GPS receiver in my car.

I want software that will tell me when to turn (voice activated). Im having trouble finding anything other than S & T.

Is there a better (possibly more economic solution) solution, or is S & T my best bet?

From speaking with Marvin, there is another program (iGuidance) that offers voice guidance, but this software is more expensive than S&T, plus I am not sure if it comes bundled with a GPS receiver (as does S&T). So if you are looking for an economical voice guidance mapping software, then I would go with S&T 2006 (since S&T 2005 does not have the voice guidance feature).

Wayne

Edited by - AvisTow on 10 oct. 2005 03:50:05
Go to Top of Page

phil h

Canada
43 Posts

Posted - 10 oct. 2005 :  05:05:56  Show Profile  Visit phil h's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nats

I have the 05 version with the MS reciever and have travelled all over Ont and to NYC and back with it and it worked just fine. The only problem of not recieving a signal was when i was parked in a covered area for an extended time. I know in the durham region some new subdivisions are not on the 05 version. So not to sure how well it would work for a limo company looking for residential addreses in the case of new subdivisions. I'm sure 06 has been updated somewhat but with the rate of growth around here there would still be some missing!

Nats
A proud member of the GMan school of Mobile Tracking!

thanx nats, do you live in durham too?
also thanx to avistow for your input

Edited by - phil h on 10 oct. 2005 05:09:23
Go to Top of Page

Nats

8 Posts

Posted - 10 oct. 2005 :  08:19:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes Phil i live in Durham region!
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 10 oct. 2005 :  11:09:03  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
1. To change the voice type used by S&T 06 go to Start > Settings > Control Panel > Speech > Text To Speech > Voice Selection.

WinXP has 3 voice types there by default and you may be able to find other ones downloadable on the Internet.

2. Yes, I have no idea what they were thinking. The sound of all Text-To-Speech implementations I have ever heard is plain ugly. Period. (Hmm, but of course this is just my personal opinion.)

3. Yes, no need to spend money if you already have a GPS receiver. Use it with any of your favourite software and be happy. But if you are new to this there is no reason to get an older (obsolete) technology if you can get (most likely) for the same money the newest & best ;-)

4. S&T is the most "economical" software there is. (iGuidance review is here: >> click << )

Edited by - Marvin Hlavac on 10 oct. 2005 11:12:13
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 10 oct. 2005 :  13:23:56  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Version 1.05

F2 now also minimizes S&T in addition to starting it or restoring it (Very useful if you like to miltitask).

More info here: >> here <<

Go to Top of Page

tedpeer

27 Posts

Posted - 10 oct. 2005 :  19:01:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marvin,

I tried "Start > Settings > Control Panel > Speech > Text To Speech > Voice Selection", twice before I posted.

I tried it again at lunch today, and it still didn't change...

Until I hit the "apply" key to change my default... DOH!

When I restarted S&T, it picked up the new voice...

Ted
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 10 oct. 2005 :  19:06:49  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
:) ...but it's not much improvement anyway, is it? (Just a different robot talking :)

Go to Top of Page

big__m

Canada
13 Posts

Posted - 10 oct. 2005 :  23:02:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nats

Yes Phil i live in Durham region!

I do as well!! Small world!
Go to Top of Page

phil h

Canada
43 Posts

Posted - 10 oct. 2005 :  23:12:53  Show Profile  Visit phil h's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I found a Canadian supplier
http://www.gpscentral.ca/products/usglobalsat/bu353.htm
$120 is a bit much though

I am waiting for a reply from radioworld.ca in Toronto to see if they have it too.

hello to big m too.

Edited by - phil h on 10 oct. 2005 23:14:10
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 10 oct. 2005 :  23:23:47  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's nice to see it to show up in Canada finally! But yes, the $120 price does appear a bit too much. Semsons.com sells it today for US$82.99 which after using an on-line currency calculator comes to Cdn$97.48.

Go to Top of Page

AvisTow

Canada
94 Posts

Posted - 10 oct. 2005 :  23:47:05  Show Profile  Visit AvisTow's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I had to take two accident damaged vehicles to our Buffalo garage today, so I thought what the heck, I will stop by the Best Buy in Amherst, NY (I-290 & Niagara Falls Boulevard) and see if they have S&T 2006 on the shelf... I was not holding my breath, since when you go to Best Buy's Web Site, it shows that the store is out of stock... BUT... I GOT MY COPY!!!

There were half a dozen software only boxes on the top shelf, and a few S&T 2005 with GPS sitting on the shelf below. I loaded it into my Laptop while I sat in the parking lot, restarted my Computer, inserted CD 1 again to load the GPS driver back in, then headed back to Toronto!

I definitely have to get external speakers for my Laptop now!

I agree, the Driving Guidance pane is HUGE, hopefully someone on here will be able to tweak it a bit, okay, alot!! Oh, and maybe override that safety warning message when Driving Guidance is started?

I can't wait to try it out in Night mode... I suggested to Marvin that electrical tape would take care of the brightness of the tool bars at the top and bottom of the screen. I think that doing the "auto hide" on the lower tool bar, and wrapping some of that Velcro that attached to its' self (soft side against the screen ofcourse) will take care of the tool bar up top.

The Velcro I am referring to you can pick up at your local hardware store, it is a single strip with a soft surface on one side and a rough surface on the other, so when the ends meet each other you will have a secure attachment (without any glue or tape), it is pretty cool!

Oh, and when I do the "Microsoft Location Finder" thingy, it shows me being in Montreal, Quebec!?! Tottenham, Ontario is not in Quebec, hello!?! I suppose that is where the IP Pings off of?

One more thing, I just took a boo at my Voice selections, there is only "Anna" and "Sam", Anna is the best of the 2 to go with for sure, I did adjust the voice speed down to 3 positions below the middle setting, this seems to help a bit!

Edited by - AvisTow on 10 oct. 2005 23:58:29
Go to Top of Page

91stealthrt2

14 Posts

Posted - 11 oct. 2005 :  00:41:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AvisTowI definitely have to get external speakers for my Laptop now!

Oh, and when I do the "Microsoft Location Finder" thingy, it shows me being in Montreal, Quebec!?! Tottenham, Ontario is not in Quebec, hello!?! I suppose that is where the IP Pings off of?

I have my laptop able to connect into my car stereo(aftermarket reciever) via an accessory input- rca to 3.5mm plug. So I can watch a dvd and listen to it not on my crappy laptop speakers(they suck) I only have used it once because the battery life sucks on this computer; I would probably barely make it through a whole movie! And I am usually driving by myself and there is no need for a dvd, just need gps now ;)

As far as the location finder, I have yet to get that to give me ANY location... I always get "Unable to determine your current location. There was not enough access points or no WIFI hardware was available.

I have tried 2 different locations both using a wireless router and connected to the net.
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 11 oct. 2005 :  01:49:10  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wayne, congratulation on your purchase of S&T 06!

Re: Safety Warning - just hit A-key on your keyboard to "Agree" to it ;-)

Go to Top of Page

phil h

Canada
43 Posts

Posted - 11 oct. 2005 :  02:39:55  Show Profile  Visit phil h's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

It's nice to see it to show up in Canada finally! But yes, the $120 price does appear a bit too much. Semsons.com sells it today for US$82.99 which after using an on-line currency calculator comes to Cdn$97.48.

by the time you add shipping and the reaming Canada customs gives you, will not be much difference.I feel better now.
avistow I'm jealous
Go to Top of Page

AvisTow

Canada
94 Posts

Posted - 11 oct. 2005 :  02:46:22  Show Profile  Visit AvisTow's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the advice 91stealthrt2, I will have to see what is out there for options, I kinda like listening to the radio while driving too, and the CB Radio, umm, and the Police Scanner now! LOL

I know where there is a pair of really thin speakers!

Thanks Marvin!
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 11 oct. 2005 :  03:27:49  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Phil you still have to pay shipping, gpscentral.ca is in Calgary

AvisTow keep your fingers away from my nice thin pair of speakers

Go to Top of Page

91stealthrt2

14 Posts

Posted - 11 oct. 2005 :  03:40:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would like to add that when I go to MSN virtual earth(which is cool btw) and click the location finder, it pulls me up in dodge city, kansas, which is ONLY 1757.5 miles away according to S&T! ;)

I am using a local "crappy" DSL provider right now.
Go to Top of Page

admin_0

1 Posts

Posted - 11 oct. 2005 :  15:13:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First time poster, I just wanted to add my .2c :)

There's a few cool simple utilites that will help with some of the "issues" mentioned in this thread.

The first is the nag screen. Microsoft developed a utlilty called scriptit which uses SendKeys to mimic the user hitting a key(or keys) on the keyboard.

Here is Microsft's webpage on how to use it. You can download it from the following link:

http://www.dx21.com/SCRIPTING/SCRIPTIT/scriptit.zip

I've used it to open my mapping software and enter in ALT+T ALT+G ALT+T to enable gps tracking w/o having to touch the keyboard. The downside is it can only send keyboard sequences.

There's another program called "AutoIt" You can do just about anything under the sun.

Here is the url for AutoIt:
http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/index.php

Both programs are free, enjoy!

Edited by - on 11 oct. 2005 15:14:27
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 11 oct. 2005 :  16:39:55  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Leddy,

Welcome to GpsPasSion Forums. Thanks for sharing that with us. There are also several other free utility software of the kind and it is fun to play with them. This method of controlling S&T has its limitations though, but it's the only way to accomplish simplifying our use of S&T while driving. S&Tkeys actually uses the same method and it already is designed to work with S&T 06.

But "sending keys" is not the best way to do this, and I hope this is just our temporary solution till the good guys at MS MapPoint Team add more single keystroke shortcuts to future versions of S&T.

Btw, I would not want to add to S&Tkeys a feature that would avoid the Safety Warning. Microsoft considers it a safety feature and a legal protection of sort so I don't feel I have the right to tamper with that ;-) But you can always just hit the "A" key on your keyboard to just Agree to the Safety Warning ;-)

Go to Top of Page

porciniman

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 11 oct. 2005 :  17:01:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If some of you would like to transmit sound thru your car speakers from your laptop puter, you may want to check this out:

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Section_Id=201526&pcount=&Product_Id=166893

I especially love it when I watch movies on my laptop in my car!

Edited by - porciniman on 11 oct. 2005 17:02:59
Go to Top of Page

porciniman

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 11 oct. 2005 :  17:56:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For those of you interested, I purchased an open box unit of the i.Trek S3 (SiRF III) USB GPS for 72.99 from Semsons and S&T 2006 from Amazon for $35.99.

I also purchased a
Cable Clip with Suction Cup for 0.99 cents (US)

I'll receive it today (EST) @ 2:00 pm. according to UPS!

When I set it up this afternoon, I'll give you the results of the sensitivity of the SiRF III receiver!

Cheers, VB

Go to Top of Page

admin_0

1 Posts

Posted - 11 oct. 2005 :  21:32:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has S&T 2006 re-instated a feature 2004 had, that allows a user to set the speed at which certain roads are travelled at when creating road trips. In 2005 they changed the value boxes to generic sliders.

Thanks.

Ernest Pedersen
Calgary, AB
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 11 oct. 2005 :  22:07:24  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Ernest and welcome to GpsPasSion Forums! That one was discussed on page 4 >> here <<

Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 11 oct. 2005 :  22:55:29  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Tips & Tricks page has been updated. Check it out, and if you have some good ideas to share, PLEASE DO SO ;-)

Here is the link: >> click here <<

P.S. Some links may need to be corrected (it will be done over the next few days)

Go to Top of Page

phil h

Canada
43 Posts

Posted - 11 oct. 2005 :  23:01:49  Show Profile  Visit phil h's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ok, I called radio word and all they have is GPS 18 Deluxe Package
with nRoute navigation software.by garmin. anyone know anything about it? is it as good as S+T?
here is a link
http://www.radioworld.ca/gps/garmin.php#gps18d

Edited by - phil h on 11 oct. 2005 23:15:57
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 11 oct. 2005 :  23:45:35  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I did see it briefly once and I thought it was interesting and not bad. If someone has more experience with it and is willing to share, please start a new thread about it in the Laptop Software section.

Go to Top of Page

williamh

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 12 oct. 2005 :  01:52:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
any Canadian Retail store Has it now?thanks.waiting a long time.hope it will come soon in Canada.
Go to Top of Page

Alan_

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 12 oct. 2005 :  04:19:42  Show Profile  Visit Alan_'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is my first post in GpsPasSion. From the microsoft.public.streets-trips group I posted today the following
"I received my i.Trek S3 USB GPS Receiver today and I used it today
with Streets & Trips 2006. The first day was a smashing success which
exceeded my dreams! I hooked my Universal Car Adapter (DC-AC Inverter)
into the car cigarette outlet and then attached my Dell Inspiron 1150
with 500meg ram laptop to the adapter. I attached the receiver to a USB
port. I was able to get the Franson GpsGate operating using the trial
version. I requested my license code for the windows version which
Semsons is suppose to e-mail me within 48 hours. I hooked the receiver
to my mirror in the car. It's super with the laptop sitting in the
passenger seat I just let Anna be the voice that guides me to the
locations along my route. I keep my eyes on the road and use my right
hand to hit the laptop space bar to hear Anna tell me how close I'm
getting to a turn, etc. During the first day of use I learned to turn
the laptop volume up high and not to use Microsoft Sam voice as it is a
very lousy unpleasant Robot voice. Yes Anna is a Robot voice, but it's
a nice Robot voice. I still have more to learn, but I'm shocked so far
to find the receiver and S&T 2006 to be 100% accurate so far for Metro
Louisville, KY USA."

I just want to add here a huge thank you to Marvin Hlavac for all his posts about what to buy. I read Marvin just received, this month, his Microsoft MVP award. It's an award well earned!!

Go to Top of Page

ELEGEND_YVR

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 12 oct. 2005 :  04:33:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by porciniman

For those of you interested, I purchased an open box unit of the i.Trek S3 (SiRF III) USB GPS for 72.99 from Semsons and S&T 2006 from Amazon for $35.99.

I also purchased a

Sounds good! Where did you pick up the Cable Clip and Suction Cup from?
Go to Top of Page

ELEGEND_YVR

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 12 oct. 2005 :  04:36:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

with nRoute navigation software.by garmin. anyone know anything about it? is it as good as S+T?
here is a link

I have nRoute. You can download it from Garmin for free. It's very good. But, nRoute is actually software that integrates itself with your Mapsource products. You can't use it as a stand-alone software ie. you need Garmin Maps to use it. It also uses a real (female) voice. You can download other voices like UK voice as well.

http://www.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=999-99999-10

Edited by - ELEGEND_YVR on 12 oct. 2005 04:42:47
Go to Top of Page

Alan_

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 12 oct. 2005 :  07:55:19  Show Profile  Visit Alan_'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:Originally posted by porciniman

I also purchased a

Sounds good! Where did you pick up the Cable Clip and Suction Cup from?

When I ordered the receiver from Semons it came with a cable clip and suction cup. Now my purchase was Not an open box unit. I paided $82.99 plus $8 shipping=$90.99 in US dollars. My purchase also included the Franson GpsGate Software and also Arkon Vent Mount. Ordered placed on 10/6/05 and received on 10/11/05.
Go to Top of Page

porciniman

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 12 oct. 2005 :  08:07:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Alan, I got the suction cup because it was offered on the same page as the SiRF III receiver.
Instead of paying $1.99, they offered a whopping $1.00 off this little gem.
I guess $.99 cents is not too bad! LOL!

Go to Top of Page

porciniman

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 12 oct. 2005 :  08:25:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Marvin, on page 14 of this thread you post a pic of the number of sats the SiRF III unit has acquired.

Is that available on my version of S&T Y2K, and could you tell me how I can put that up on my screen?
Thanks, VB

Go to Top of Page

phil h

Canada
43 Posts

Posted - 12 oct. 2005 :  10:41:43  Show Profile  Visit phil h's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ELEGEND_YVR

quote:

here is a link

I have nRoute. You can download it from Garmin for free. It's very good. But, nRoute is actually software that integrates itself with your Mapsource products. You can't use it as a stand-alone software ie. you need Garmin Maps to use it. It also uses a real (female) voice. You can download other voices like UK voice as well.

http://www.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=999-99999-10

thanks YVR
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 12 oct. 2005 :  11:13:34  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Alan Welcome to GpsPasSion forums! Thanks for sharing the info and thanks for the kind words!

Porciniman The software I used to compare signal strength of the two receivers (on page 14) is not a part of S&T. It actually is a feature of iGuidance navigation software. You may actually already have utility software which offers same features, because a GPS viewer usually comes on a CD when you purchase a GPS receiver. Or you may find downloadable products that do the same.

Go to Top of Page

Alan_

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 12 oct. 2005 :  17:23:32  Show Profile  Visit Alan_'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
Porciniman The software I used to compare signal strength of the two receivers (on page 14) is not a part of S&T. It actually is a feature of iGuidance navigation software. You may actually already have utility software which offers same features, because a GPS viewer usually comes on a CD when you purchase a GPS receiver. Or you may find downloadable products that do the same.

Porciniman the Semsons package I received on 10/11/05 has a CD and on the CD there is a program to install named "Gpsinfo" and that will give you the features your looking for :) Also, so far I have been able to connect to 3 or more sats right away without waiting to connect. Now, that has been a huge shock to me because I thought it would take time to connect.
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 12 oct. 2005 :  18:23:02  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You may be surprised with these SiRFstarIII chip based GPS receivers. I receive 6 to 7 satellites easily in my basement where even my cell phone has difficult getting signal. Of course it will not work well in all indoor environments, but it is considerable better than what the technology had to offer a year ago ;-)

Go to Top of Page

porciniman

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 12 oct. 2005 :  18:36:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys, I did find the connection to see how many sats I was connected to.
After clicking on the "start" icon in the lower left of the screen, I go to All Programs and click on GPS INFO.

So far I've been able to lock onto as many as 8 sats, never going below 5 sats so far.

This SiRF III chip is far superior to it's predecessor!!

Im still trying to figure out why, after S&T gives directions on the map using the green line, while traveling along the highway route suggested, the voice prompt will tell me I'm off route, yet the indicator arrow shows I'm traveling along the direction S&T gave me???

It will, at times, go between "off route" and "on route" in quick succession.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Go to Top of Page

Alan_

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 12 oct. 2005 :  19:51:10  Show Profile  Visit Alan_'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
porciniman wrote
Im still trying to figure out why, after S&T gives directions on the map using the green line, while traveling along the highway route suggested, the voice prompt will tell me I'm off route, yet the indicator arrow shows I'm traveling along the direction S&T gave me???

I have not experienced this yet. But, please keep in mind I just started yesterday using S&T 2006 and the Semsons package. I figure in time I'll really find the problems. So far, everything is great! I have decided to put on hold any plans to buy iGuidance navigation software. However, that could change, if I find important bugs in S&T 2006.
Go to Top of Page

phil h

Canada
43 Posts

Posted - 12 oct. 2005 :  20:10:23  Show Profile  Visit phil h's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just ordered my i.Trek S3 USB from GPS Central
here is a cost breakdown compared to semson.
semson $83 usd + $28 usd for shipping total = $129 CDN
gps centeal in canada cost $120 + $12 shipping total =$132 cdn
only $3 more to buy in canada, BUT you don't know what the Canadian customs will chrge you, also purolator often pick things up at the border for Canada post, they aslo add their bit on too.
Go to Top of Page

Craig Voss

5 Posts

Posted - 12 oct. 2005 :  23:36:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone found a website that will allow you to download new voices to use with tts(text to speech)? The basic two that come with windows are REALLY boring.

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

AvisTow

Canada
94 Posts

Posted - 13 oct. 2005 :  00:18:11  Show Profile  Visit AvisTow's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

porciniman wrote

I have noticed this too, here is what I found...

Let's say you are traveling along a multi lane Highway (with Collector & Express lanes), if S&T wants you to take the Express lanes but you feel the Collectors would be a better choice, it will indicate that you are off route. If you move over into the passing (left) lane then you will go back on route.

And ofcourse if you exit your route to grab a coffee, then again, you will be off route!
Go to Top of Page

91stealthrt2

14 Posts

Posted - 13 oct. 2005 :  00:27:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have read that also sometimes people will be driving "parallel" to the hwy, very near it and they say sometimes it would just jump over to the hwy(where there is no road to) when still traveling just next to it.

I would say maybe try locating the reciever to one side of the vehicle or the other. If you seem to keep going "off course" to the right, maybe place it on the left side of your vehicle. I don't know if that will work because I don't have a reciever yet... so maybe Marvin can clear some things up! :)

Rusty
Go to Top of Page

AvisTow

Canada
94 Posts

Posted - 13 oct. 2005 :  00:34:39  Show Profile  Visit AvisTow's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh, one other thing...

This would be on the topic of S&T 2006 (since it now has voice prompts)...

I just picked up an "iriver AFT-100" mobile FM transmitter!

This thing works pretty slick, the voice prompts are nice and loud, and if you tune it to your favourite FM radio station, it goes into stand-by mode after 30 seconds!! So you can listen to your tunes, then when a turn is approaching, the tunes stop and a voice prompt is given!!

So totally cool!!

http://www.nexternal.com/iriver/?Product=100
Go to Top of Page

dethom

14 Posts

Posted - 13 oct. 2005 :  00:57:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Phil posted the relative cost of buying a SiRF III GPS from either Semsons or GPS Central. I note that the Semsons product is V.3.1.1 WAAS whereas the info page from GPS Central is silent with regard to WAAS capability. Does anyone know if the unit from GPS Central actually is WAAS capable? I prefer to buy on the Canadian side of the border to avoid the cross border courier fees.
Go to Top of Page

tdob

11 Posts

Posted - 13 oct. 2005 :  05:05:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AvisTow

Oh, one other thing...

This would be on the topic of S&T 2006 (since it now has voice prompts)...

I just picked up an "iriver AFT-100" mobile FM transmitter!

This thing works pretty slick, the voice prompts are nice and loud, and if you tune it to your favourite FM radio station, it goes into stand-by mode after 30 seconds!! So you can listen to your tunes, then when a turn is approaching, the tunes stop and a voice prompt is given!!

So totally cool!!

http://www.nexternal.com/iriver/?Product=100

You seem to be having way too much fun at work!!
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 13 oct. 2005 :  15:08:24  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"off route" and "on route" in quick succession Yes, I have seen it, too. I didn't pay much attention to it, really. For me personally it is just a little annoyance, or perhaps not even that. But let's keep an eye on it now to see if we can figure out what is happening when this occurs.

AvisTow that new FM transmitter sounds interesting. Now that S&T 06 talks I suspect many users will be looking for ways to improve the sound and an FM transmitter is one possible way to do it. If you feel like it you could start a new thread and tell us a few more things about it. In the past I did try a couple of FM transmitters myself but the main issue with one was it didn't cover the whole FM spectrum, and in the short available segment there just was no clear frequency. Strong local FM stations were interfering. The second one I tried did cover the whole stretch from 87 MHz to 108 MHz, but still I had to look for a clear frequency in-between stations because the transmitter was weak...

Where to buy... If the website doesn't specify the firmware version send them a quick e-mail or ask them on the phone. If their stock is older perhaps they still don't have the current 3.1.1. If they don't tell you try a different store.

Voice question I noticed when I close GPS Task pane and also Driving Guidance pane (to maximize viewable map area) S&T 06 stops giving voice directions prompts. Could please someone else test and confirm this if it occurs in other setups, too.

Go to Top of Page

Alan_

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 13 oct. 2005 :  15:56:33  Show Profile  Visit Alan_'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
"off route" and "on route" in quick succession Yes, I have seen it, too this morning I was on US 42 (Brownsboro Rd) where it goes over I-264 in Louisville, KY. It's not a big deal, but it shouldn't of happened.
Go to Top of Page

porciniman

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 13 oct. 2005 :  20:38:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To make sure I'm able to hear the voice clearly, I can use the FM transmitter, or... I use headphones, which in my line of work is a bonus when driving clients around.
You can keep just one ear covered if you need to converse with anyone!

I forgot one thing for an improvement...I would really like the availability of being able to ask S&T where I am or how far to the next turn.
Delorme has a voice interactive program, that was kinda nice.
If S&T had it, that would be da bomb!!!

Edited by - porciniman on 13 oct. 2005 20:43:36
Go to Top of Page

Alan_

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 13 oct. 2005 :  22:46:38  Show Profile  Visit Alan_'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
porciniman wrote
To make sure I'm able to hear the voice clearly, I can use the FM transmitter, or... I use headphones, which in my line of work is a bonus when driving clients around.
You can keep just one ear covered if you need to converse with anyone!

Headphones! Bingo! Now, why didn't think of that? I already own a set of headphones. In my line of work, real estate, that is the solution! Thank you, Porciniman
Go to Top of Page

porciniman

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 13 oct. 2005 :  22:53:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yo, Alan..glad I could offer alternatives!
VB

Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 13 oct. 2005 :  23:25:38  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, but talking to your client + wearing headphones = the greatest problem in communication is the illusion it has taken place!

LOL ;-)

Go to Top of Page

phil h

Canada
43 Posts

Posted - 14 oct. 2005 :  00:30:00  Show Profile  Visit phil h's Homepage  Reply with Quote
driving while wearing headphones.
now that's not safe, not to mention probably against the law.
Go to Top of Page

tedpeer

27 Posts

Posted - 14 oct. 2005 :  01:44:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's as safe as letting deaf people drive. :) Or how about driving with your stereo blasting so loud people in other cars can hear it over their own stereos. :)

Sorry,

Couldn't resist...

Ted
Go to Top of Page

ELEGEND_YVR

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 14 oct. 2005 :  03:25:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Deaf people aren't allowed to drive (as far as I know) and if the stereo is too loud, you can get ticketed.

The best solution is to have an earpiece (single monaural headphone with an extension cable). Both can bought at any stereo electronics store.
Go to Top of Page

porciniman

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 14 oct. 2005 :  07:26:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gentlemen....we are not talking about listening to loud music here...just something that would allow one to hear the voice prompt a little easier, other than that, the phones are not generating any sound....just using one ear while the other is uncovered seems like it's not blocking out any and all ambient sound.

The idea of using a monoral ear piece is even better.

Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 14 oct. 2005 :  15:38:13  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Microsoft AutoRoute 2006

I have received e-mail letting me know a copy of the upcoming AutoRoute 2006 is in the mail and I will likely receive it next week. I'm eager to find out if new parts of Europe have been added. The 2005 version still included mostly just Western Europe, and even there some areas still didn't have full coverage. Many users hope for Easter Europe to be included in the product. Will AR 2006 start moving east?? It remains to be seen.

Go to Top of Page

91stealthrt2

14 Posts

Posted - 14 oct. 2005 :  16:08:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
DAMN DAMN DAMN! CompUSA now has the S&T with reciever for $80 USD! http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=333303&pfp=SEARCH IN STORE ONLY!

I will have to see if they will let me upgrade!
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 14 oct. 2005 :  16:18:06  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote

91stealthrt2 you guys in the USA are so lucky :-)
But here the question is simply:
Has anyone seen S&T in Canada yet?

Go to Top of Page

AvisTow

Canada
94 Posts

Posted - 14 oct. 2005 :  17:51:41  Show Profile  Visit AvisTow's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 91stealthrt2

DAMN DAMN DAMN! CompUSA now has the S&T with reciever for $80 USD! http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=333303&pfp=SEARCH IN STORE ONLY!

Damn, that aint bad!! Humm, is "aint" a word??

The little slip of paper that I got inside my S&T 2006 told me that one could upgrade to the GPS for $99.00, so yea, $80.00 for the software & GPS is such a deal!! Even converted into Canadian, that is still a deal!!

And no Marvin, I still have not seen it up here yet, I always check the shelf of Future Shop / Best Buy / Staples when I go in for other stuff. Looks like we are the only 2 up here with it!
Go to Top of Page

Alan_

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 14 oct. 2005 :  20:12:49  Show Profile  Visit Alan_'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
Elegend_YVR posted
The best solution is to have an earpiece (single monaural headphone with an extension cable). Both can bought at any stereo electronics store.

That's a great solution!
Go to Top of Page

Alan_

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 14 oct. 2005 :  20:21:55  Show Profile  Visit Alan_'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
91stealthrt2 posted

There is a huge problem with that idea!
Microsoft package is only offering SiRF II type of GPS receiver instead of a SiRF III type of GPS receiver.
Go to Top of Page

admin_0

1 Posts

Posted - 14 oct. 2005 :  21:00:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm in montreal and I have a copy also :) i brought it on Amazon.com and ship it to a buddy in Champlain NY(30 mins from my place) I also received my new GPS bu-353 really diffent from the one on s-t 2005 :)

Edited by - on 14 oct. 2005 21:02:48
Go to Top of Page

bigrig

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 14 oct. 2005 :  21:08:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a webpage that lists some free Text-to-Speech Engines:
http://www.bytecool.com/voices.htm

Matt
Go to Top of Page

porciniman

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 15 oct. 2005 :  00:21:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yo, bigrig....it would be nice if you had more specific info about which voice engine works best!!!

If you could help us out, that would be great!

Go to Top of Page

phil h

Canada
43 Posts

Posted - 15 oct. 2005 :  00:42:10  Show Profile  Visit phil h's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I got my GPS receiver today from GPS central.
only took 2 days.
I didn't figure in the tax, total was $141.19 CDN.
now all I need is a copy of S+T 2006.
AAAHHHHHHHH! this is driving me nuts now
Go to Top of Page

tedpeer

27 Posts

Posted - 15 oct. 2005 :  04:51:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ELEGEND YVR,

I see you're in Canada. In the USA, deaf people can drive. They do not need any special equipment in the car, just normal rear view mirrors.

Ted
Go to Top of Page

ELEGEND_YVR

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 15 oct. 2005 :  05:16:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tedpeer

ELEGEND YVR,

I see you're in Canada. In the USA, deaf people can drive. They do not need any special equipment in the car, just normal rear view mirrors.

Wow! I wouldnt want to be in Law Enforcement and drive Emergency vehicles in the US.
Go to Top of Page

Halcyon Days

3 Posts

Posted - 15 oct. 2005 :  06:46:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, just been looking for another GPS system and ran into this site. :)

I had a TomTom for about a year, then during a recent trip up to Montreal someone jacked it...so now I'm left in need of a new guidance system.
The link someone posted about MS S&T '06 for $80 /w receiver looks very attractive. However, I've been reading on here that unless the receiver is the new SiRFIII the signal will get blocked which was a very annoying thing that would happen to the TomTom when you went through underpasses.

So my question is should I go with S&T'06 with the receiver or iGuidance and then buy my own SiRFIII receiver (or perhaps get S&T w/o the receiver and purchase my own)? I have a small laptop but still I think it would be cumbersome inside the car. I have an older HP iPaq PDA so is either the S&T or iGuidance superior on the PDA?
Lastly, could you all recommend where and what type of receiver I should be considering if I decide to buy it separately?

Thanks in advance. :)
Go to Top of Page

AvisTow

Canada
94 Posts

Posted - 15 oct. 2005 :  07:58:03  Show Profile  Visit AvisTow's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Halcyon Days

...However, I've been reading on here that unless the receiver is the new SiRFIII the signal will get blocked which was a very annoying thing that would happen to the TomTom when you went through underpasses...

I have been using the GPS receiver that came with S&T 2005 (SiRFII), and it has always worked fine for me, I just have the receiver sitting on the dash and plug it into my Laptop. Sure, when you go under a bridge it will loose the signal, but once you emerge from the bridge the signal is picked up quite quickly!

I guess it depends how much $$ you have to spend, Microsoft S&T 2006 is likely the most economical way to go. You can mount your Laptop quite easily in your vehicle, to give you an idea how, just check out this thread... http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=31517

Wayne
Go to Top of Page

Halcyon Days

3 Posts

Posted - 15 oct. 2005 :  16:56:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Avis,

Hmmm...I don't want to spend more than $200 actually. Anymore and I'd look into buying another GPS unit which I don't want. The TomTom was a great little unit but I don't want to throw down another $6-800.

What's interesting is that if I were to buy S&T w/o the receiver it's $36 on amazon with shipping. Could you give me some links to where I could get a nice SiRFIII receiver for it for under $160?

Go to Top of Page

ravichander

38 Posts

Posted - 15 oct. 2005 :  20:27:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Halcyon Days:

Here is the link for the usb SiRF III receiver for $82.99. Shipping is extra but it includes an Arkon mount and gpsgate (the latter might be useful if you use 2 gps software like S & T and iGuidance and have only 1 gps receiver).

http://store.yahoo.com/semsons-inc/is3usbgpsres.html

Here is the link for blue tooth version of the SiRF III receiver for $143.99

http://store.yahoo.com/semsons-inc/glbtgpsrebts.html

BTW I have an iTrek mouse gps with SiRF II chipset and it works fine. It locks to satellites even inside the house in less than 2 minutes. When I attach it outside the house to the laptop and turn on the laptop it locks on to the signal well before the laptop Windows XP is fully up and running. Since this costs around $59 and the latest version costs only another $25 more it might be worth investing in the latest receiver. But it does not mean that the previous generation is useless. I have used the previous version for over a year and it works great. I do not see the need to buy a newer mouse gps unless this one breaks down or I need another one for the 2nd vehicle.
Go to Top of Page

91stealthrt2

14 Posts

Posted - 15 oct. 2005 :  20:39:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you guys(Marvin) think that its worth the savings of $10 to buy the "open box" receiver?

Rusty
Go to Top of Page

porciniman

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 15 oct. 2005 :  20:43:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I purchased an open box SiRFIII receiver from Semsons for $73.00.

It works great with S&T 2006.
VB

Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 15 oct. 2005 :  20:57:24  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sure, why pay $10 for a fancy box ;-)

Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 15 oct. 2005 :  21:02:46  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
First bundle S&T 06 + SiRFstarIII GPS receiver finally available!

Regular price: $169.99 Sale price: $114.99

GpsPasSion Club members get additional 10% OFF, just like on most other items purchased at Semsons!

Link: http://store.yahoo.com/semsons-inc/is3usbgpssii.html

Edited by - Marvin Hlavac on 15 oct. 2005 22:42:10
Go to Top of Page

phil h

Canada
43 Posts

Posted - 15 oct. 2005 :  22:49:19  Show Profile  Visit phil h's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just tested out my recevier.
I have a couple of questions.
what is waas/egnos?
should I have this option checked?
what is VTG? and should this option be checked?
what is HDOP?
what is PDOP?
any why? when in my livingroom and plugged into my laptop,
does it show my direction as changing all the time?
I took my longitude and latitude readings from the GPS info program
that came with my recevier, and typed them into google maps, it found my exact possition.
Go to Top of Page

Halcyon Days

3 Posts

Posted - 15 oct. 2005 :  22:56:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

First bundle S&T 06 + SiRFstarIII GPS receiver finally available!

Regular price: $169.99 Sale price: $114.99

GpsPasSion Club members get additional 10% OFF, just like on most other items purchased at Semsons!

Link: http://store.yahoo.com/semsons-inc/is3usbgpssii.html

Thanks Marvin, this looks perfect
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 15 oct. 2005 :  23:15:41  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Halcyon Days Yes, it does! It's just the perfect bundle!

Phil Enabling WAAS/EGNOS may potentially improve the precision of a GPS receiver, but I doubt we would notice it in real life situations while using it for in-car navigation. VTG, HDOP, PDOP, etc is info outputted by a GPS receiver. Read more here: http://www.gpsinformation.org/dale/nmea.htm

Go to Top of Page

phil h

Canada
43 Posts

Posted - 15 oct. 2005 :  23:52:21  Show Profile  Visit phil h's Homepage  Reply with Quote
thanks marvin
Go to Top of Page

Seedillume

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 16 oct. 2005 :  21:38:02  Show Profile  Visit Seedillume's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In the U.S., Best Buy has S&T 2006 (software only) for $39.99 - $10.00 IR + Tax - $10.00 MIR = $22.31. My tax is 7.75%. The sale is only for the next week. I think it's a good deal for an upgrade since I bought S&T 2005 w/GPS receiver a few months ago. They have the GPS receiver version on sale for $99 + Tax and after MIR. Not a great deal when compared with last weeks CompUSA deal. However, the two CompUSAs tha tI have access to are notorious for only have a few copies of sale items.

I have a few Best Buys near me. One is in San Bernardino, CA. That Best Buy isn't so great. They never have stock and the shelves are a mess. Another one in Corona, CA is down the street from million dollar homes. That one usually has a good stock and everything is neatly arranged. They had 3 boxes of S&T 2006 (software only) and two boxes of S&T w/GPS receiver. Of course, they only have Two copies of the S&T 2006 software. :)

Dennis

P.S. On the case of the CDs, it says, "NEW! Voice-prompted directions with Windows XP" So, no voice without WinXP. I was wondering about that since XP has text to speech voice support.

Edited by - Seedillume on 17 oct. 2005 05:14:12
Go to Top of Page

Alan_

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 17 oct. 2005 :  00:40:01  Show Profile  Visit Alan_'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
I had to take a route out in the sticks where I had never been before today and I used S&T 2006 and the Semsons SiRF III GPS receiver package. The Franson GpsGate kept me connected to 6 plus sats all day with no time waiting to connect to the sats! I used a one ear headset connected to my Dell Inspirion 1150 laptop which was connected to an adapter which was connected to the car cig lighter. I just listened to the S&T 2006 voice of Anna to guide me on my route. I arrived at each stop on my route without ever even looking at the laptop. Anna made my drive safer by telling me exactly where to go without any errors! So, instead of having to pull over to look at a map, Anna saved the day! No need to pre drive routes, no extra burning of gas, no extra wear and tear on car, no waste of time is what S&T 2006 and the Semsons SiRF III GPS receiver package did for me today :)

I understand there will be new streets that S&T 2006 doesn't cover and I still might need to order iGuidance software. However, so far I have no need to order iGuidance software yet.

Go to Top of Page

ELEGEND_YVR

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 17 oct. 2005 :  04:12:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alan_

The Franson GpsGate kept me connected to 6 plus sats all day with no time waiting to connect to the sats!

I thought GpsGate is used for multiple GPS applications. It increases satellite reception
Go to Top of Page

Alan_

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 17 oct. 2005 :  05:00:20  Show Profile  Visit Alan_'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
From Material sent in Semsons package
The Franson GPSGate
Main Features includes "More Stable GPS connection."
"GpsGate automatically reconnects to the GPS if it turned off and on or when a Bluetooth GPS temporarily gets out of reach."

GPSGate important for sharing too. Quote from Semsons package.
"Using Fransons GpsGate it is possible to share one GPS between many applications running on a laptop or handheld computer. Today's solutions only allow one application to take exclusive access of a connected GPS. As more applications are becoming position aware, GPS sharing will become a necessity."

Go to Top of Page

Alan_

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 17 oct. 2005 :  05:05:06  Show Profile  Visit Alan_'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's a link for the quotes on Franson GpsGate
http://franson.com/gpsgate/GpsGateInfo.pdf
Go to Top of Page

ELEGEND_YVR

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 17 oct. 2005 :  05:11:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Alan for the info. BTW, your lappy is the same one I have.
Go to Top of Page

Seedillume

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 17 oct. 2005 :  05:21:32  Show Profile  Visit Seedillume's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As far as reception of the MS GPS receiver, it definitely works good enough for car navigation. I don't see how loosing reception for a sec or two while driving under and overpass is any big concern. It connects right away. In my apt., the receiver cannot see out of any window, but it connects and shows the correct position. Now, if I were hiking, I would want a VERY accurate position. Down to a few feet. :)

Dennis
Go to Top of Page

ELEGEND_YVR

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 17 oct. 2005 :  07:35:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seedillume, that would be something worth getting: a portable SiRF III GPS receiver. Unfortunately, the US Government prohibits the accuracy of GPS receivers any less than 6 metres. I wouldnt mind getting a Garmin one, when it comes available.

Edited by - ELEGEND_YVR on 17 oct. 2005 07:36:50
Go to Top of Page

Seedillume

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 17 oct. 2005 :  09:29:25  Show Profile  Visit Seedillume's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I knew there was some sort of limit. The U.S. is great at portraying Communism as freedom. :) Anyway, I didn't realize is was that big of a limit. I am very new to GPS and S&T 2005 is my first navigational aid.

Though I do wonder. On the box for S&T 2006, there is a rather small driving guidance pane. However, I cannot seem to adjust it myself. It shows arrows when I hover over the border, but it won't let me move it. Does anyone know how to adjust it?

Dennis
Go to Top of Page

ravichander

38 Posts

Posted - 17 oct. 2005 :  16:09:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This page gives some answers about gps signals, SA, WAAS, costs and free availability of signals worldwide, etc.

http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/FGCS/info/sans_SA/docs/GPS_SA_Event_QAs.pdf

Go to Top of Page

bigrig

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 17 oct. 2005 :  16:17:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by porciniman

Yo, bigrig....it would be nice if you had more specific info about which voice engine works best!!!

If you could help us out, that would be great!

Sorry, I don't have any experience with those yet. I just found it on a google search while researching S&T 2006. I think I'll pick up a copy at Best Buy this week. I finally got an inverter so I can run the laptop in the car continuously now.
Go to Top of Page

admin_0

1 Posts

Posted - 17 oct. 2005 :  22:24:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just installed S&T 2006 today!

One thing I hope they incorporate in future editions is an advanced installation mode where we can pick and choose what capabilities to install.

For example, I have no plans to connect GPS to my laptop and so have no need for the voice files. A full install takes 1GB and I shudder to think how much of that is voice-related!
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 17 oct. 2005 :  22:35:09  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Most of it is the maps. The voice related files I suspect take up actually very little ;-)

Go to Top of Page

ddonelle

Canada
7 Posts

Posted - 18 oct. 2005 :  00:18:41  Show Profile  Visit ddonelle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am new to this forum as of today and I have found more info here that is pertinent to what I am looking for as opposed to other sites (Thanks Marvin!!!). It looks like you have sold me on the S&T and SIRF III GPS receiver bundle but I was curious to know if anyone else from Canada has ordered from Semsons and what type of customs charges you had to pay. For example if I buy the bundle for $115 US am I looking at taking out a second mortgage to pay the customs?

It would prefer to pick up the GPS at a local store but I can't find one anywhere around Montreal that has it. I did find the unit only on the gpscity.ca site but it was a bit expensive.

Thanks,
Derek (Montreal, Quebec)
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 18 oct. 2005 :  01:46:55  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Derek and welcome to GpsPasSion Forums! I'm just looking at a delivery notice. I will have to pick up tomorrow from a post office a BT-338 (Bluetooth GPS receiver) for a friend of mine. It was ordered about a week ago (from Semsons) and the price at that time if memory serves was US$129. The delivery notice says I will have to pay Cad$15.10, so likely you will have to pay around the same $15 at your post office ;-)

Go to Top of Page

ddonelle

Canada
7 Posts

Posted - 18 oct. 2005 :  01:56:50  Show Profile  Visit ddonelle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info.

I am off to make my order!
Go to Top of Page

ELEGEND_YVR

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 18 oct. 2005 :  06:17:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For those of you within a short driving distance to the US border, I would use one of those mail order/post office box outlets and pay them a small fee and then take it across the border. If Canadian Customs wants you to come in (assuming you declare it), so be it. It may be cheaper going this route than having Canada Post add their surcharge to the cost.
Go to Top of Page

Wrocky

Canada
11 Posts

Posted - 18 oct. 2005 :  22:53:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

.I will have to pick up tomorrow from a post office a BT-338 (Bluetooth GPS receiver) for a friend of mine. It was ordered about a week ago (from Semsons) and the price at that time if memory serves was US$129. The delivery notice says I will have to pay Cad$15.10, so likely you will have to pay around the same $15 at your post office ;-)

Just as a point of reference, I picked up a BT-338, from a CDN reseller listed in Ebay. Final price I paid was CDN $157 including all taxes and shipping to Ottawa. Your price will vary depending on how well the auction goes.

This is the URL where I purchased mine from.
http://stores.ebay.ca/computerpeople-ca_W0QQssPageNameZviQ3asibQ3astoreviewQQtZkm

Hope this helps. Check out what other vendors are selling this unit for on ebay, as prices do vary and you might get lucky and get it for a bargain.

Wrocky the GPS cyclist
(first time post, long time GPS user)

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2015_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2,73 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05