Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2317

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Software
 MS Streets and Trips, AutoRoute, and MapPoint
 What's New Streets & Trips 2006 / AutoRoute 2006
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 34

Nolonemo

51 Posts

Posted - 24 sept. 2005 :  01:01:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This looks nice, though I agree the GPS pane is a waste of space. No point in displaying a bunch of check boxes and radio buttons all the time. The space would be better used for more trip-related information, for instance, I see there is no distance or time to destination displayed. It also could display a small overview map, like Delorme's Streets and Trips does, though I don't find that very useful.

The deal sealer for me will be when MS gets it together with Pocket Streets, so I can create routes on the PC and transfer them to PDA for autorouting, OR create routes on the PDA...

Toshiba e755, Pharos iGPS-360 usb, Mapopolis on Flash ROM, Maps on 512MB SD card.
Go to Top of Page

rondi

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 24 sept. 2005 :  01:43:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Marvin for the review..
Using MS S&T 2005, my Win98 Dell would lockup once the Garmin III+ was connected. Do you know if the 2006 does the same or does the 2006 System Requirments say it must be XP? or?? My XP laptop does not have an RS232 connector---just 1394 and USB2. we only use the Dell for SA9 when traveling.

thanks again,
ron

Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 24 sept. 2005 :  02:16:36  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dumpper, no that part seems to be just like previous versions. We need to save as template.

Nolonemo, yes, I have no use for the GPS pane either. All functions should be accessible either via a single-keystroke shortcut for laptop users, or people with touch screens should be able to access navigation functions by a simple large easy to use menu. But while driving there should be nothing other then the map visible. Just a few needed items already mentioned here.

My most favorite navigation software iGuidance is the best example of simplicity and functionality. I'm very glad that Microsoft is starting to take GPS navigation a bit more seriously these last couple of S&T releases, and I know that very many users will embrace S&T 2006 now. But I will keep on doing what I have been doing up until now, and that is using iGuidance for navigation, and S&T for trip planning when required. I would not want to travel without having access to some features that only S&T has, for example the intelligent search engine that is capable of correcting misspellings and returns very relevant results, or the fabulous “Avoid Area” tool. But, while I would not leave home without S&T, I have to admit that while driving I almost exclusively use iGuidance, because it is generations more advanced than even S&T 06. iGuidance is not a trip planner however, it only is a GPS navigation software, but most of the time that is all I need. I enter address (takes 5 seconds) and I drive. For a more complicated trip I may occasionally need to use S&T for some trip planning.

S&T is around US$30, iGuidance costs US$100. Most people don’t travel 100,000 km each year like me and it may be overkill to go with the more expensive software, especially since now S&T 06 can do it all. But yes, the GPS GUI still needs a lot of work.

And as far as MS PocketStreets, well, I don’t know what the future holds for that product. But I guess we should also remember that navigation software which we would like PocketStreets to one day become sell for a lot of money. A product like that would no longer be included free of charge with the purchase of S&T for $30. There always is the possibility that MS is working on some new version of PocketStreets 2006, but if that is the case it would likely be released at some other time and it would be a stand alone product from then on. Let us see what will happen. MS must have heard from thousands of PDA fans over the years, and chances are good that sooner or later MS will act on it...

Rondi, welcome to GpsPasSion Forums. I think S&T 06 may require Win98SE at least. Windows98 is not listed in minimum system requirements. But if you wish to use the VOICE function, you do need WinXP. And as far as the GPS receiver, well USB is likely what most of us use. Most laptops these days don’t even have RS232 connector.

Marvin Hlavac - Toronto, Canada
Go to Top of Page

admin_0

1 Posts

Posted - 24 sept. 2005 :  05:01:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK Marvin, why did you pick Labrador City/Wabush in your example? I grew up in Labrador City and just find it unusual that someone would pick that area as an example.

later,
Jeff Swanson
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 24 sept. 2005 :  05:38:27  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Jeff, welcome to the forum. I do recall a year ago someone mentioned he was planning a trip to Labrador City it wasn't covered in S&T 05 ;-)

Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 24 sept. 2005 :  13:25:37  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote

When we deviate from our route S&T 06 will notice it and within seconds we will be notified about it in the new Driving Guidance panel. Then all that needs to be done is hitting F3 function key on your keyboard or easily tapping the large "Go" button in GPS panel if you are using a touch screen. This is improvement from previous versions and let us hope the good guys developing the software will not stop here. We need them to keep on going ;-) Automatic recalculation would be nice. The less driver interaction with the software is required the safer and more fun S&T will be.

I'm also very glad to see new single key shortcuts being used for some functions:

F3 Recalculate route from current location (Go)
F7 Turn voice OFF/ON
Spacebar Repeat Instruction

Let us hope more GPS related functions will be accessible by more new single-keystroke hotkeys in future versions. While using an application on a desktop in the comfort of your home or office it is okay to use long "shortcuts" like Alt + A + B + C, but when on a highway doing the speed limit it may be a health and safety issue LOL ;-)

Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 24 sept. 2005 :  20:35:14  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Location Finder uses a database of known Wi-Fi access points to compute your location. If you are in a rural area, or any other area with few known Wi-Fi access points, Location Finder will not be able to determine your position. This new and very interesting feature doesn't seem to work in my area, but I suspect users south of the US / Canada border may have much better luck with it.

Go to Top of Page

Frosty Vibe

Canada
167 Posts

Posted - 24 sept. 2005 :  23:16:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW!

The new S & T is definitely a huge improvement from 2005 and you simply can't go wrong with the price. I think I will pick up a copy of the S&T when it is on sale for my laptop too.

I, too am very happy with my iGuidance ( which I satrted using on a laptop now ) and I am absolutely taken with the way the map is on a 14" screen... my iPAQ simply does not compare!

By the looks of it, the map coverage is great... I can't wait for MS to come up with some market-shifting navigation software.

WOW!

sorry I am too excite...

iPAQ 2210 + LeadTek 9537 BT GPS + RiData 66X 512mb SD + SanDisk 128mb CF + Mapopolis 4.33 +iGuidance V2.1.1
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 25 sept. 2005 :  00:13:00  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote

iGuidance navigation software:

Yes, Frosty Vibe, and here is a screenshot for others to see. IGuidance has been built from the ground up for the sole purpose of providing GPS navigation in the easiest possible way. Minimum user interaction with the program is required while driving. The interface is very clean, there is absolutely nothing on the screen that doesn't need to be there (no distraction to the driver, and the visible map area is maximized to the fullest).

It would indeed be nice if one day Microsoft could build into their 1st class trip planner, {which S&T undoubtedly is), a facility for providing the same quality GPS navigation as iGuidance software.

Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 25 sept. 2005 :  01:26:17  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote

With S&T 2006 you are NEVER lost ;-)

Microsoft Location Finder can be accessed from the notification area of your Taskbar. Right-click it and select Locate Me

If Location Finder cannot use Wi-Fi to determine where you are, the service will use the IP address of your computer to locate you ;-)

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94046 Posts

Posted - 25 sept. 2005 :  01:53:38  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's something they premiered with MSN Earth I think, do you have WiFi in your setup to see how that works ? It does mean they would have had to map the APs in your area though.

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 25 sept. 2005 :  02:15:29  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I tried Wi-Fi in a few different areas when I was driving around downtown Toronto yesterday, but it never worked. They likely don't have Canada covered (yet).

Go to Top of Page

AvisTow

Canada
94 Posts

Posted - 25 sept. 2005 :  03:43:46  Show Profile  Visit AvisTow's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello Marvin, it was great to finally meet up with you today!

Next time you venture into an underground, let us know if Microsoft did anything about the loss of reception message. I can't wait to try S&T 2006 for myself!

Wayne
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 25 sept. 2005 :  04:18:41  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Hi Wayne! Welcome to GpsPasSion Forums! I'm glad you joined!

There is no need to wait till tomorrow. I just tested this at home ;-) After the GPS receiver is deprived of usable satellite signal for 10 minutes, S&T 06 will, just like previous versions, display a warning message :(

This has been reported by users in the past as an annoyance because it requires user input (click YES or NO). Other navigation products usually notify drivers of loss of GPS signal by changing color of GPS icon (arrow) on the map, or by changing the map color to grayscale.

Go to Top of Page

AvisTow

Canada
94 Posts

Posted - 25 sept. 2005 :  04:42:51  Show Profile  Visit AvisTow's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks!

Maybe someone out there can come up with a tweak??

It is great to see the improvments made to S&T 2006, maybe S&T 2007 will have the rest of your suggestions, there were quite a few of them!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 34 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2,05 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05