Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com


GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com



Versions

Links/Liens




Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2403




Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal


GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Garmin iX, C3x0 and C5x0 Systems
 Easter Eggs - Hidden menus
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

EastCoastClimber

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 02 sept. 2005 :  16:36:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
#2: seems to work if I press within a little less than an inch of the center on my c330's trip computer display. I press the 'moving avg' section on the display. you have to hold it several seconds as well.


#1. holding the down right upper corner/battery indicator area from the main screen gets you behind the firewall and apparently enables you to tweak the firmware.

I'm not that versed in tech but some of you more tech savy guys may find this useful. Sorry if this is already a well known fact, but I'm the new guy and got excited when I discovered this

ECC

Richmond, Virginia

Edited by - EastCoastClimber on 02 sept. 2005 16:41:43

Ads


Jerry944T

50 Posts

Posted - 03 sept. 2005 :  16:52:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is an interesting screen which leads to many other interesting screens. I guess they are all diagnostic screens as far as I can tell. Maybe they will be of use to some of the more savvy readers here.

FYI I don't think this feature is common knowledge since this is the first time I can recall it being mentioned.

Horsepower costs money, how fast do you want to go?
Go to Top of Page

diverhank

USA
924 Posts

Posted - 03 sept. 2005 :  21:21:51  Show Profile  Visit diverhank's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes this is a great find! ECC, would you cut and paste this into the sticky "Undocumented Features"? That way people can find it easier without having to bump this message in the future. Thanks

Hank
http://home.socal.rr.com/diverhank/SP26X0UndocumentedFeatures.htm
http://home.socal.rr.com/diverhank/ForeRunner201.htm
Go to Top of Page

flipper500

Germany
29 Posts

Posted - 03 sept. 2005 :  21:29:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
does anybody know what the nand-test is for?

Edited by - flipper500 on 03 sept. 2005 21:31:37
Go to Top of Page

Dadcat

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 06 sept. 2005 :  00:46:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On the Audio Test Page you can scroll through a bunch of sound files with the arrows on the right and play them back with the button in the upper left corner.

I am particularly intrigued by the phrases referring to "arriving at via-point".

Since the c3xx doesn't allow via-points, I'm hoping the inclusion of the sound files in this firmware rev are preparation for adding that function in the next revision.

Somewhat off topic -- To me, the biggest drawback of the c3xx series is the inability to stop it from taking a route you know you shouldn't take. In June, I was in College Point, New York, and my c320 insisted I should go through the middle of Manhattan at rush hour in order to get to Newark Airport. I'm from Oregon and a firm believer in local knowledge. The people at the business I was visiting were positive I should go around the south side of the city even though it was 10 miles longer. This could have been handled with a single via-point on the Belt Parkway but I had to ignore about 10 "off route" notifications before the Garmin finally got the right idea.

Jeff
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 06 sept. 2005 :  00:59:51  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Probably a bit OT yes, but interesting nonetheless, "detour" didn't help did it ?

_________________________________________________________________________
Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

Dadcat

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 06 sept. 2005 :  02:39:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, it didn't. "Detour" tries to get back on the original route as soon as possible. It's less useful than forced or "off route" recalculations for that purpose. I'm not sure if an "off route" recalculation does the same thing as forcing one by going to "recent selections" and reselecting the destination, but it's different than a detour. When this is happening for me on the road I'm already confused and not very scientifically inclined.

Jeff

Edited by - Dadcat on 06 sept. 2005 02:40:36
Go to Top of Page

Kris2005

USA
293 Posts

Posted - 07 sept. 2005 :  04:42:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hm, tried it. Nothing happened. I have C320. What did I do wrong?
Go to Top of Page

EastCoastClimber

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 07 sept. 2005 :  06:08:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kris, just press down to the right area of the battery indicator towards the upper right corner. Hold for 5-10 seconds or so. I wouldn't suggest tweaking anything until someone knows exactly what they are doing.

Richmond, Virginia
Go to Top of Page

Kris2005

USA
293 Posts

Posted - 07 sept. 2005 :  16:11:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thaks, it works.
Go to Top of Page

admin_0

1 Posts

Posted - 13 sept. 2005 :  16:14:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EastCoastClimber

holding the down right upper corner/battery indicator area from the main screen gets you behind the firewall and apparently enables you to tweak the firmware.


How to return to the main screen?
Go to Top of Page

flipper500

Germany
29 Posts

Posted - 13 sept. 2005 :  16:29:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Turn the unit off!
Go to Top of Page

MichaelLegner

Sweden
206 Posts

Posted - 13 sept. 2005 :  16:46:13  Show Profile  Visit MichaelLegner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dadcat
...The people at the business I was visiting were positive I should go around the south side of the city even though it was 10 miles longer. This could have been handled with a single via-point on the Belt Parkway...



Yes, the biggest problem with the C3xx is the choice between either the shortest or the fastest route. If we at least could have a question each time, whether to go the shortest or fastest way (together with the route info as distance and time). Usually a human selects something inbetween.

In your case, I would have selected those via-points so that they were available in the "Recent" list. Then navigated to each as a separate route. Cumbersome but in some cases the only way to do it.

Garmin C320 owner
Go to Top of Page

redcloud

USA
427 Posts

Posted - 13 sept. 2005 :  16:58:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I noticed that the serial and model #'s are diffent than that posted on my unit. Wow, my checksum test failed and I get an imcompatible audio version.

Edited by - redcloud on 13 sept. 2005 17:11:46
Go to Top of Page

flipper500

Germany
29 Posts

Posted - 13 sept. 2005 :  20:32:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by redcloud

I noticed that the serial and model #'s are diffent than that posted on my unit. Wow, my checksum test failed and I get an imcompatible audio version.


The first is normal, the second not!
Go to Top of Page

redcloud

USA
427 Posts

Posted - 13 sept. 2005 :  21:37:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Proably because I use British English in a US version.

Edited by - redcloud on 13 sept. 2005 21:39:45
Go to Top of Page

kd4cks

3 Posts

Posted - 22 mars 2006 :  22:25:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
touch and hold the center of the trip computer screen and you'll get a bunch more pages of system stuff...

Joe
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 23 mars 2006 :  21:34:02  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Interesting, tried it on the nüvi, nothing so far, dead center ?

_________________________________________________________________________
Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

kd4cks

3 Posts

Posted - 23 mars 2006 :  22:23:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes, but not just dead center. seems to work if I press within a little less than an inch of the center on my c330's trip computer display. I press the 'moving avg' section on the display. you have to hold it several seconds as well.

Sure wish I could find a spot that would call up a sat info screen!

Joe
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 23 mars 2006 :  22:30:31  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
haha, there you go, comes up on the nüvi too, 5+ seconds !
It has a nice GTM screen, empty on mine though since I have no external module.

_________________________________________________________________________
Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

Cret

France
2702 Posts

Posted - 02 juil. 2006 :  21:02:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ha Ha , get it also on a C550 after 5-7 seconds !

It appears to be pages presenting resumes, records and logs of the device events. This is typicaly same maintenance data screen which may be read by maintenance ingenior (or user in case of an phone support).

On the C550, all pages have a title (top line blue background) and function button at bottom (QUIT, NEXT, DEL, UP arrows, DOWN arrow, etc) depending of the page. The middle part of the screen consist of data logs.
  • Page1: SHUTDOWNS indicate shutdowns events (Low battery, Data abort, RTL trap). By clicking on same line, more information like registry contents are indicated.

  • Page2: STACK

  • Page3: Memory statistic

  • Page4: Nonvol Info looks to be HD space statistic and defrag history

  • Page5: Message Banners

  • Page6: BLUETOOTH STATUS

  • Page7: GTM Status

  • Page8: FM Table contains codes for each FM TMC providers. A RESET button may allow you to loose all your subscription in one touch only !!!

Note: the language of these pages is not affected by the seting in the LOCATION SETUP MENU.
The QUIT button returns you to the Trip computer.
The NEXT button swap to the next page or back to page 1 at the last.

I clearly warm any user not to play with any of these undocumented menus. Since they may undoubtly corrupted deeply internal parameters and may for a great probability need service intervention to recover function of the unit or your FM TMC subscription passcode. This mean sending it for repair to GARMIN SUPPORT and waiting weeks for its return.

Again be careful when navigating in these hidden pages !

C.Ret
Up to now, no carriage returns.

Strike text indicate corrections following explainations of apersson850 (post on 08/31/2006 ) indicating that no vital information may be lost by manipulating these hidden log pages

Garmin GPS 12 (1993), Garmin Streetpilot Atlantic (2001),
eTrex Vista C (2003) and Streetpilot C550 (2006)

Edited by - Cret on 02 sept. 2006 20:47:15
Go to Top of Page

Jimmie FZ-30

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 24 juil. 2006 :  15:34:17  Show Profile  Visit Jimmie FZ-30's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jeff you hafta kinda do it backasswards but you can put one via point in by. First put in your final destination then go back and click on where to again and put in the via point you want to use. It will ask you do you want to continue to your final destination via that point and just say yes. Hope this helps. Too bad you can't do a bunch like that but it will only let you put in one via point...

quote:
Originally posted by Dadcat



Since the c3xx doesn't allow via-points, I'm hoping the inclusion of the sound files in this firmware rev are preparation for adding that function in the next revision.

Somewhat off topic -- To me, the biggest drawback of the c3xx series is the inability to stop it from taking a route you know you shouldn't take. In June, I was in College Point, New York, and my c320 insisted I should go through the middle of Manhattan at rush hour in order to get to Newark Airport. I'm from Oregon and a firm believer in local knowledge. The people at the business I was visiting were positive I should go around the south side of the city even though it was 10 miles longer. This could have been handled with a single via-point on the Belt Parkway but I had to ignore about 10 "off route" notifications before the Garmin finally got the right idea.

Jeff



Computer Geek
Go to Top of Page

Scottw33

3 Posts

Posted - 02 août 2006 :  04:36:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I get a different menu on my C550 (USA). Some of it is similar but some is different. It ends with all kinds of screen tests.

Anyone else see this and test any of this?
Scott
Go to Top of Page

apersson850

Sweden
1274 Posts

Posted - 31 août 2006 :  16:02:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You don't loose the subscriptions by selecting to clear the TMC channels. You do loose the data the unit has collected about which frequencies are used by these services, but this data can be re-collected by the device. It will just take longer time.

Anders
Go to Top of Page

SteinyD

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 05 sept. 2006 :  06:00:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for this tip Jimmie! This even works for the c550! I thought I had lost this functionality when I moved from my previous GPS solution. I don't think this is documented anywhere but works just as you described!

The only downside is that I can't find a way to cancel a via point after its been selected. Ending the routing ends everything with no choices.

David


quote:
Originally posted by Jimmie FZ-30

Jeff you hafta kinda do it backasswards but you can put one via point in by. First put in your final destination then go back and click on where to again and put in the via point you want to use. It will ask you do you want to continue to your final destination via that point and just say yes. Hope this helps. Too bad you can't do a bunch like that but it will only let you put in one via point...

quote:
Originally posted by Dadcat



Since the c3xx doesn't allow via-points, I'm hoping the inclusion of the sound files in this firmware rev are preparation for adding that function in the next revision.

Somewhat off topic -- To me, the biggest drawback of the c3xx series is the inability to stop it from taking a route you know you shouldn't take. In June, I was in College Point, New York, and my c320 insisted I should go through the middle of Manhattan at rush hour in order to get to Newark Airport. I'm from Oregon and a firm believer in local knowledge. The people at the business I was visiting were positive I should go around the south side of the city even though it was 10 miles longer. This could have been handled with a single via-point on the Belt Parkway but I had to ignore about 10 "off route" notifications before the Garmin finally got the right idea.

Jeff



Computer Geek

Go to Top of Page

SteinyD

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 05 sept. 2006 :  06:01:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes, mine is as you described. I don't see any menus to reset or clear the TMC data.


quote:
Originally posted by Scottw33

I get a different menu on my C550 (USA). Some of it is similar but some is different. It ends with all kinds of screen tests.

Anyone else see this and test any of this?
Scott

Go to Top of Page

apersson850

Sweden
1274 Posts

Posted - 05 sept. 2006 :  08:22:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Regarding via-points:
To cancel routing to a via-point, simply route to the final destination again. You don't need to cancel it all first, just tap on Recent finds, then route to the destination. It will build a new route, which goes there, without passing the via point.

Regarding fancy diagnostic menus:
There are two different diagnostic menus on units like the c550. Some of you may not have understood that you are talking about different things.
One menu is opened by tap-and-hold on the analog speedometer in the trip computer. The other one is opened by tap-and-hold on the clock display in the main menu screen.
In the first menu you can see a list of your currently stored frequencies for TMC reception. Or you can't, since the list seems empty, but that's just a bug in the diagnostic tool. Tap on the screen, where the info should have been, and you'll see a pop-up window with the frequency and some other information.
Here you can also clear the list of previously found frequencies, which transmit TMC data. That is not the same thing as clearing your subscriptions.
If you play around in the other, diagnostic menu, then you may experience that your unit loose track of where it is, the SiRF chip may loose track of time, etc. Don't do that just before you need the navigation service of your unit, since it may need some time to recover from the data loss.

Anders
Go to Top of Page

apersson850

Sweden
1274 Posts

Posted - 05 sept. 2006 :  10:23:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By the way, those who read manuals already knew about this, since how to add an intermediate stop to your route is described on page 5 in the c550 user's manual.

Anders
Go to Top of Page

SteinyD

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 05 sept. 2006 :  13:01:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Must have missed it then .. but thanks for being clear about it! ;-)

quote:
Originally posted by apersson850

By the way, those who read manuals already knew about this, since how to add an intermediate stop to your route is described on page 5 in the c550 user's manual.

Go to Top of Page

jsurles

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 26 sept. 2006 :  23:50:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by apersson850

By the way, those who read manuals already knew about this, since how to add an intermediate stop to your route is described on page 5 in the c550 user's manual.



Actually, the via point thing hasnt' always been there. When I got my unit 9 months ago, it wasn't there. It's only been added recently in one of the more recent firmware releases.

Garmin C330
Nuvi 760
TomTom One 3rd
Go to Top of Page

apersson850

Sweden
1274 Posts

Posted - 27 sept. 2006 :  16:30:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was referring to the current release of the manual as well as the firmware.

Anders
Go to Top of Page

paulweustink

4 Posts

Posted - 12 mars 2007 :  21:44:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just saw that the 5.2 and 5.3 firmware of the c550 have MSN Direct information pages in the hidden menu (just below speed indicator). And in another topic it is described that the MSN Direct cable works with the c550. Does anyone else have some information on this?
Go to Top of Page

paulweustink

4 Posts

Posted - 20 mars 2007 :  23:50:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just found a different way to connect the c550 to XP. Normally the c550 is shown in a "diskdrive mode", as 2 additional drives. The data connection mode can be used as well:

- install the latest Garmin USB drivers (once)

- disconnect the USB cable on the c550
- restart it
- goto the test screen from the menu upper-right corner
- connect the USB cable on the c550
- press the exit button from the test screen
- after a reset the c550 uses the data connection mode

Now you can use other tools like MetroWizz as well :-D
Go to Top of Page

garminc330

2 Posts

Posted - 22 juin 2007 :  16:57:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I purchased my c330 over a month ago, and I'm getting this problem. When I drive through downtown Toronto, it keeps recalculating the route and moves all over the map. I checked with Garmin and they suggested WAAS and/or GA 25MCX, which you guys are saying both don't work. I wonder if there is anything else that can be done because every city has tall buildings, so if doesn't work in th city, then what good is it. Is there any other powerful antenna that can be attached to this GPS to make it work in the city??
Go to Top of Page

mwolf7

1 Posts

Posted - 09 août 2007 :  00:58:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paulweustink

I just saw that the 5.2 and 5.3 firmware of the c550 have MSN Direct information pages in the hidden menu (just below speed indicator). And in another topic it is described that the MSN Direct cable works with the c550. Does anyone else have some information on this?



I spoke with Garmin tech support today regarding the MSN Direct application on the c550 (not c580, the c580 comes preloaded with MSN Direct). He said that if you have the GDB50 (comes with the c580) vehicle adapter, the c550 will recieve MSN Direct automatically and can be used just like the c580. He directly stated that you needed the most recent version of the firmware loaded on your unit and that no physical loading (via USB) is needed.

Best of luck,
Matt
Santa Monica (LA), CA

c550 owner
Go to Top of Page

MetroConnect

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 09 août 2007 :  01:34:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just spoke with Garmin support yesterday regarding the poor performance of my GDB 50 (MSN Direct receiver) when used with my c550. They told me that it's unsupported and the do not recommend connecting the two together. I've been discussing this in the Nuvi section, since that's where all the action seems to be with regard to MSN Direct.

The c550 does complain a bit at startup, but other than that it does seem to support the MSN Direct receiver.

I'd love to get some support from them on this. Any idea who (by name) you talked to in support, or how I can reach them?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2015_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2,62 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05