Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 1942

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Garmin nüvi forums
 POI Loader for Garmin GPS - v2.7.1/v2.2 - 08/2011
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

gpspassion

93782 Posts

Posted - 02 août 2005 :  23:56:39  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes different .csv's create new categories, which is pretty convenient and on the 320 uploading just one .csv erasese all previous categories.

Hope you used the GpsPasSion French files here, much better than those "sponsored" (or so it seems, except for the picture) by Garmin France ;-) Someone linked to the Spain cams recently so you can find them with a search (Espagne) but you'll likely have to format them yourself.

natedj

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 03 août 2005 :  04:14:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay ! I'm about to beat my C330 with a bat
I'm furious .....I've tried a dozen ways to load POI with POI Loader and it just doesn't work for me.

First off I tried what Gpspassion mentioned ...I tried it with a Notpad (POI Loader didn't even recognize that file and there is no way to save a notepad file to a .CSV file)

I fired up excel, and after trying to copy and paste a Notepad file into it, I found out that it just won't work. I had to manually enter each section in it's box (is there a faster way to do this ?) Well after getting all the info in, POI Loader recognized the file .....made the transfer, even confirmed on the screen the number of POI installed. But when I Go to Custom POIs on my unit, NOTHING SHOWS UP !!!!

Any help will be appreciated...if you can't offer help send me a bat so I can beat the screen out of this unit.
Go to Top of Page

davidmoliv

11 Posts

Posted - 03 août 2005 :  10:09:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
natedj, I think that this should be what is happening to you:

Your custom POI's are inserted but only the 50 nearest your current location are showed. So, if you have a guess where some of the POI's you inserted are located, you can change on My Locations - Near ... and choose a city nearest this POI's then so you should be able to see them.

Portuguese C330 Owner
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93782 Posts

Posted - 03 août 2005 :  10:17:29  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes ans .csv is just a .txt file really so save it as a .txt and rename it to .csv ;-)

natedj

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 03 août 2005 :  15:57:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So If I understand correctly, the POI would not even be listed when I go to [ Where To - My Locations - Custom POIs ] unless I'm in close proximity of the POI ?

How close does the radius have to be for the POI to show up ?

My problem is that I installed 2512 "Super Wal-Mart" store locations in my unit, and none shows up, not even the ones in my town.
Go to Top of Page

wa3bvr

13 Posts

Posted - 03 août 2005 :  17:52:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The POI will not show up until you load the POI's with the POI loader in manual mode. You then make a selection of the proximity to your location for the alerts to be displayed while you are driving. It is self expanatory once you select the manual mode in the POI loader.

Edited by - wa3bvr on 03 août 2005 17:53:22
Go to Top of Page

sapa

France
103 Posts

Posted - 04 août 2005 :  00:15:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
natedj

Try taking your unit out of the house to make a satellite connection.
Then the added POIs will show and you can navigate to them either driving or in simulation mode in your living room.
Worked for me like that. They don't show immediately after you loaded them indoors without seeing the sky at least once.

Garmin C320
Go to Top of Page

rjalex

Italy
44 Posts

Posted - 04 août 2005 :  14:57:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Natedj,
I was on your same course of despair but now made it.

1) Not all CSVs are created equal. I tried to use POIConverter to convert .ASC format files to a couple of CSV formats and although some of them appeared to load with POILoader they yelded no results. The ASC files I downloaded from GPSPassion which just had the log,lat,desc format simply worked by renaming the extension to CSV and deleting the first 3 lines of comments (starting with ;)

2) It seems true that you must be somewhat near the POIs or tell the unit to search near a location which is near them. To better explain in my horrible English. I live in Rome and planning to visit France with my camping car I have loaded the gpspassion POI database of service areas in France. Whataver I did nothing shoed up but since when I said the unit that I wanted to search near Chambery (Savoie) they popped up nicely.

3) It appears to be quite true what our sapa friend said. POIs did not list until the unit saw the birds at least once.

4) As a side note. The POIs will appear in "My locations" under a new menus. The *.CSV filenames will show up as the new categories names in the C320 and the same *.BMP file will show as their associated icon.

HTH,
Bob

Edited by - rjalex on 04 août 2005 15:52:46
Go to Top of Page

shantu

Switzerland
15 Posts

Posted - 04 août 2005 :  17:33:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Folks, I uploaded POIs for all the speed cameras in Europe from the radarfalle.de site for €9.90. There are 9700 POIs but my unit loaded just 6700 of them. I re-installed maps so that I would have a lot more space in my 512 MB SD card and tried again. But again it loaded 6700 POIs instead of the full number. What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance.

Shantu
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93782 Posts

Posted - 04 août 2005 :  18:04:00  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Probably some bad formatting for the 3,000 that aren't making it, the 8,006 of the FRA GpsPasSion database made it fine ;-)

Ken_Doerig

Switzerland
6 Posts

Posted - 04 août 2005 :  20:05:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I own a C320 and I was able to download about 16'000 POI without any problem. I downloaded the Radarfalle.de File garmin2.zip installed it with some other POIs on my Device and it worked without error. The File is the version vom 2. August 2005.

Edited by - Ken_Doerig on 04 août 2005 20:34:24
Go to Top of Page

shantu

Switzerland
15 Posts

Posted - 05 août 2005 :  11:58:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ken, I did not get an error message. I was just notified that 6700 POIs had meen loaded. Do you know the number of POIs that the garmin2.zip file had. I believe that was about 9'700. Also where did you down load the other POIs from? Thanks.

Shantu
Go to Top of Page

Ken_Doerig

Switzerland
6 Posts

Posted - 05 août 2005 :  12:24:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry I didn't read right. I did a download of only radarfalle.de garmin2.zip and had 6682 POIs. I did a manual count of the content in the CSV files and the number is correct. On the homepage of radarfalle.de they state the database contains 9749 POIs on the statistics page. So the content is wrong. Think we have to contact radarfalle.de to get this sorted out. The rest of the POIs I downloaded from a different german forum dealing with PDA and Pocket Navigation.

Just downloaded the radarfelle.de file again. This time I used the "Overlay in Realtime" feature to select the POIs myself. After download I uploaded the files and voilà 9764 POIs . Still will contact radarfalle.de to change the Standard garmin2.zip they provide.

Edited by - Ken_Doerig on 05 août 2005 12:44:22
Go to Top of Page

Spig

17 Posts

Posted - 05 août 2005 :  14:12:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a problem with POI loader. Gstart will not recognise my C320 even though its plugged in and switched on, as I've previously used it. I tried to uninstall and reinstall. My computer will not let me remove gstart saying access is denied. Any ideas...?
Go to Top of Page

natedj

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 05 août 2005 :  16:45:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really appreciate all the input that I've gotten so far....and you all have help me tremendously.
I can make .CSV files , and load them easily now.
But, I was under the impression that if I loaded 20 POIs and I go to "Custom POIs" on my unit, it would list the 20 POI on the screen, but it doesn't.

I've loaded (2) .CSV files and the unit took them nicely, when I go to custom POIs I can see the two subcatergories but If I select one of them, nothing shows up under it. I've done all this with a good gps signal too.I understand that for it to show up on the map, you have to be in the area, but are you guys also seeing the POI's listed under the .CSV folder as well.......because I'm not seeing a list on my unit.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,92 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05