Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2317

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Software
 MS Streets and Trips, AutoRoute, and MapPoint
 * MS Streets & Trips 2006 and MS AutoRoute 2006 *
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 08 sept. 2005 :  00:35:37  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage

Autoroute2006.com website now reports that indeed the 800,000 POI's is a number belonging to the 2005 version, and the upcoming MS AutoRoute 2006 version will include over 865,000 Points of Interest.

Hmm, that's nice, almost 10% increase from a year earlier, but it pales in comparison to the jump from 400,000 POI's in 2004 to 800,000 in 2005! In North America we saw over 40% year-over-year increase in POI's when S&T 05 came out in August of 2004.

Marvin Hlavac - Toronto, Canada

Edited by - Marvin Hlavac on 08 sept. 2005 00:38:19
Go to Top of Page

xcanuk

Canada
77 Posts

Posted - 10 sept. 2005 :  03:32:28  Show Profile  Visit xcanuk's Homepage
I wonder if some of the POI's will include car dealer/garage locations. General garages are listed, but sometimes you have to go to the manufacturer.
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 10 sept. 2005 :  03:48:38  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage
Yes, the 2005 version of S&T was the first one to include a lot of new car dealerships, but unfortunately no new category was created for them and they just flooded the Landmarks category. My guess (only a guess) would be that this little oversight may be corrected in a few weeks in the new MS Streets & Trips 2006.

Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 11 sept. 2005 :  14:29:08  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage
www.autoroute2006.com website currently consists of 9 pages. Every single page has 8 "Main Links". One of these links is "Pharos GPS Devices" link. It really seems Microsoft may include again this year in their hardware/software bundle the same iGPS-360 receiver from a year ago. I see no new model on the Pharos website.

But there is always the possibility that even Pharos will soon have a new model based on the new SiRFstarIII chipset. I don't know how likely it is that Pharos would actually plan a launch of a new product to coincide with the release date of S&T 06 and AR 06, but all we can do is keep our fingers crossed ;-)

If no new product is released, then be warned that the iGPS-360 contains the older generation SiRF StarIIe/LP chipset, and the receivers' sensitivity to weak satellite signals is rated on Pharos website as -140 dBm. That is even worse than other receivers based on the same chipset, and of course it would be easily outperformed by any new SiRFstarIII unit.

Go to Top of Page

xcanuk

Canada
77 Posts

Posted - 12 sept. 2005 :  05:16:27  Show Profile  Visit xcanuk's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin Hlavac

Yes, the 2005 version of S&T was the first one to include a lot of new car dealerships,

Really? I was on another trip stateside, and asked to show garages, no "dealer" showed up. ( I knew where the dealer was, but was looking for confirmation ) I'll try some other locations.
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 12 sept. 2005 :  12:18:57  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage
Yes, but you will not find them in the "Auto Services" category. You have to look under "Landmarks". This little annoyance has even made it to our Streets & Trips Wish List, (wish # 21). I hope we will be able to remove this one wish when S&T 2006 comes out ;-)

Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 12 sept. 2005 :  17:49:40  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage

Is this how the new AR 06 (and S&T 06) cover will look like? Would you like a chance to win AR 2006? If yes, then follow >> this link << to one of the pages of autoroute2006.com website.

Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 13 sept. 2005 :  03:03:15  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage
Just a little reminder to readers... This thread about yet unreleased MS Streets & Trips 2006 and MS AutoRoute 2006 is just 4 pages of rumors and speculations ;-) Microsoft hasn't officially said anything about new features (if any). So please take everything that you read here for what it is... ;-)

Having said that, I just checked the new Hummer Laptop at www.hummerlaptops.com By now we know it has just been launched a few days ago and it will start selling November the 1st. It will include Microsoft Streets & Trips and an integrated GPS receiver. And I just noticed something of interest. One of the features: "Audio driving directions for real-time routing assistance" So my speculation would be that S&T 06 (and AR 06) will finally have VOICE (unless the webpage is referring to a function of another GPS navigation software if there is another one installed beside MS Streets & Trips)

• Display a map in real time for location determination assistance
  • Audio driving directions for real-time routing assistance
  • Improve productivity while on the road or outside the vehicle
  • Reduce mileage expenses with more efficient destination routing
  • Travel through unfamiliar neighborhoods and cities with ease
  • Relax with the reassurance that you always know where you are
  • Take advantage of the many GPS-based services designed to make your life more carefree

More info: http://www.hummerlaptops.com/technologies.htm

Go to Top of Page

knikander

Finland
4 Posts

Posted - 13 sept. 2005 :  13:21:18  Show Profile

There is a better quality picture in the source document (see below)!

General information:

Your trip, your way
Microsoft AutoRoute 2006 gives you a customizable trip-planning experience that helps you get accurate, detailed directions, easily explore new areas, and find the services you want and need along the way. Built on Microsoft MapPoint® mapping technology, AutoRoute 2006 features detailed street-level maps, unique routing, and accurate directions. Travel with complete confidence with the new edition of Microsoft AutoRoute!
· NEW! Voice- and textprompted directions with Windows XP
· NEW! Advanced GPS features
· Includes Pocket Streets for your Pocket PC and Smartphone
· Customizable trip planning and maps
· Find hotels, restaurants, and more
· Get accurate, detailed directions
· Plan trips, and calculate mileage, time, and expenses
· All updated maps for Western Europe
Features
Trip planning made easy
· Get precise turn-by-turn directions.
· Plan a trip based on your preferred drive time, speed, and road type.
· Plan stops, detours, and fuel stops to make the most of your travel time.
· Calculate mileage, travel time, and fuel costs before you start your journey.
· Quickly alter your route and add multiple destinations.
Customize your maps and printouts
· Make your maps and printouts more descriptive by adding notes, addresses and phone numbers for your planned stops.
· Highlight details and customize maps with a variety of Pushpin icons.
· Quickly zoom in to street level and back with Zoom Slider, to get just the right level of detail on your map.
Always know where you are going and what to expect along the way
· Find the best route from updated mapping coverage of Western Europe.
· Quickly locate restaurants, hotels, ATMs, gas stations, attractions and more.
· Import contacts into your maps directly from Microsoft Office Outlook and Excel.
· Identify one-way streets at a glance.

Benefits
Get around every day
· Get accurate, detailed directions
· Quickly locate restaurants, ATMs, hotels and other points of interest

Plan the perfect trip
· Calculate mileage, travel time and fuel costs before you start your journey
· Plan stops, scenic detours and fuel stops to make the most of your travel time
· Share your travel information in e-mail or post your map and itinerary online

More trip-planning tools than online mapping sites
· Choose from multiple print options
· Find points of interest and map out multiple destinations without the need to be online
· Customise your maps with drawing tools, notes and phone numbers
More Information
For more information look on http://www.microsoft.com/autoroute/

Contents
· Qty 2 CD-ROM
· Manual AutoRoute Euro 2006
· Electronic License

Requirements
To use Microsoft AutoRoute 2006, you need:
· PC with Pentium II or higher processor; Pentium III recommended
· Microsoft Windows XP Home, Windows XP Professional, Windows Server 2003, Windows 98 Second Edition, Windows Millennium Edition (ME), Windows NT 4.0 with Service Pack 6 (SP6) or later (required Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 browser software or later, Internet Explorer 6.0 included), or Windows 2000 Professional or later operating system
· For Windows XP Home and Windows XP Professional: 64 MB of RAM (138 MB recommended)
· For Windows Server 2003: 256 MB of RAM
· For Windows 98 Second Edition: 24 MB of RAM
· For Windows ME, Windows NT Workstation 4.0 or Windows NT Server 4.0: 32 MB RAM
· For Windows 2000 Professional: 64 MB of RAM (138 MB recommended)
· For Windows NT Workstation Version 4.0 SP6 or later: 36 MB of RAM
· 128 MB of RAM (256 MB recommended). Running additional applications simultaneously may require additional memory
· Available hard-disk space (your hard-disk usage will vary depending on configuration): 1.1 GB for full installation or 500 MB for minimum installation
· 4x speed or faster CD-ROM drive
· Super VGA (800 x 600) or higher resolution monitor with 256 colours; a monitor with higher resolution and more colours recommended and required for Driving Guidance feature
· Microsoft Mouse, Microsoft IntelliMouse®, or compatible pointing device
Additional items or services required to use certain features:
· For Voice Output (English products only): Windows XP or higher and compatible soundcard
· Microsoft Exchange, Internet SMTP/POP3, IMAP4, or MAPI-compliant messaging software required to use Send To as attachment; Microsoft Outlook 2000 or later required to use Send To as picture
· 14,400-baud or higher recommended
· Some Internet functionality may require Internet access and payment of a separate fee to an Internet service provider and local charges may apply
· GPS functionality requires a GPS device that supports NMEA 2.0 or later
· A free COM port below 20 required for GPS
· Microsoft ActiveSync® 3.7 or later for installation of Pocket Streets
· Pocket Streets
· Pocket PC: Windows CE 3.0 or later
· Smartphone: Windows-powered Smartphone 2002 or Windows MobileTM 2003 Smartphone
· or later

Availability
Estimated Channel Partner Availability – end October
Estimated Street Date Availability – beg November

Source: http://web01.microsoft.se/portfolio/browse.asp?Folder=/Product%20Information%20Sheets

Edited by - knikander on 13 sept. 2005 13:23:08
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 13 sept. 2005 :  14:18:01  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage
Hi Knikander,

Wow, nice! Thanks! Here is a link to the relevant document on the Swedish website:

AutoRoute 2006.doc

Since the minimum system requirement for the voice function is WinXP I would suspect the software uses text-to-speech technology (as opposed to pre-recorded real human voice).

The document mentions nothing about new features of PocketStreets so I suspect PDA users are getting likely more less the same product as last year.

Edited by - Marvin Hlavac on 13 sept. 2005 14:49:50
Go to Top of Page

Sam Ontario

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 13 sept. 2005 :  19:37:04  Show Profile
Voice, one of my wishes almost fulfilled!

Sam
Go to Top of Page

admin_0

1 Posts

Posted - 13 sept. 2005 :  20:50:32  Show Profile
Well, it is confirmed that MS is going with the Pharos GPS. I got an email from a rep...

--------------
Dear Bill,
Yes, the iGPS-360 receiver will be bundled with the Streets & Trips 2006, but it will be SiRF 2, not SiRF 3. Thanks and have a nice day.

Best Regards,
Technical Support
Pharos Science & Applications, Inc.
(310) 212-7088
888-742-7678
www.pharosgps.com

-----------

I was hoping that pharos would have SiRF 3 Chipset with the new package but nope.

Can anyone recommend a gps that I could use on my laptop and my PPC (iPaq h5555 w/ WiFi + CF Sleeve + Bluetooth)? I really liked the connectivity option of the pharos but don't wanna was the money on a SiRF 2 chipset.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 13 sept. 2005 :  22:39:07  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage
Sam yes, voice seemed to be the # 1 requested feature since last version. I'm a bit disapointed though because it seems text-to-speech is going to be used instead of pre-recorded real human voice.

Bfellner welcome to GpsPasSion Forums and thanks a lot for sharing the info with us! It is unfortunate that Microsoft is not going to offer the newest and the best as far as the optional GPS receiver. But this is not really an issue if you are aware of it. You have the option to buy the software only package, and then just shop around for the GPS receiver that fits your needs.

Just from the top of my head, here is a list of GPS receivers based on the SiRFstarIII chipset:

• BU-353 by Globalsat (USB connection, great for laptops)
  • GR-213 by Holux (USB connection, great for laptops)
  • BT-338 by Globalsat (Bluetooth connection, great for laptops and PDA's, 17 hours battery life)
  • GPSlim236 by Holux (Bluetooth connection and also USB connection, 2-in-1, great for laptops and PDA's, 10 hr battery life, or takes power from USB when connected)

Edited by - Marvin Hlavac on 13 sept. 2005 22:42:50
Go to Top of Page

BRMAIL

17 Posts

Posted - 13 sept. 2005 :  23:09:50  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin Hlavac
GPSlim236 by Holux (Bluetooth connection and also USB connection, 2-in-1, great for laptops and PDA's, 10 hr battery life, or takes power from USB when connected)

Small addition: this device have USB cabe in the box, but it is not a data cable - it only power this gps, for use it over USB connection separate USB cable is required ( BTGPS-USB, price about $20.00)

Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 13 sept. 2005 :  23:23:21  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage
Yes, that's correct. GPSlim 236 by Holux is actually the receiver I have been using exclusively for the past few months ;-)

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,65 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05