Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2275

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Software
 MS Streets and Trips, AutoRoute, and MapPoint
 HOLUX GPSlim 236
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

corona

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 16 juin 2005 :  00:21:58  Show Profile  Visit corona's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hey gang, having a problem getting my new GPS to work in NMEA at 4800 speed.

MS S&T sees the NMEA messages, but complains about the speed. I've tried changing the serial port rate on the GPS with SIRFDemo, but it doesn't appear to make a difference.

Since it's such a long trip, and S&T is such a great general purpose
electronic road atlas I'd prefer S&T over iGuidance.

Any ideas?

Ads

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 16 juin 2005 :  01:20:37  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Corona, put GPS Gate in-between GPSlim236 and Microsoft Streets & Trips. Try it free: http://franson.com/gpsgate/ Let us know it it works for you.

(Additional benefit of GPS Gate is that you will be able to use several GPS software applications simultaneously with just your one GPS receiver, which is normally not possible.)

Marvin Hlavac - Toronto, Canada
Go to Top of Page

corona

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 16 juin 2005 :  02:48:30  Show Profile  Visit corona's Homepage  Reply with Quote
GPSGate did the trick. Handy little program. Would let me run iGuidance and S&T at the same time. Kind of the best of both worlds.

Corona

a.k.a.
-SBK|d00mz
Shoutcast DJ, Program Director
Short Bus Kids Radio
SBKRadio.net
Go to Top of Page

corona

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 16 juin 2005 :  21:44:20  Show Profile  Visit corona's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks again for the suggestion.

Just got confirmation we're going on our 2604 mile, 37 hour road trip between San Antonio, Texas and Benton Harbor, Michigan.

Having access to S&T on the laptop will be quite useful for the trip.

Corona

a.k.a.
-SBK|d00mz
Short Bus Kids Radio
SBKRadio.net
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 16 juin 2005 :  22:19:16  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm glad it works. Perhaps I should put it to the Tips & Tricks page, especially since there is going to be a lot of people now with their new GPSlim236 wondering why S&T doesn't work ;-)

I really know of no other way to get it working other then with GPS Gate. Does anyone know of a better way???

Have a nice trip!

Go to Top of Page

corona

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 17 juin 2005 :  03:40:24  Show Profile  Visit corona's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Actually, is there anyone else with a GPSLim 236 and the USB cable and also S&T that can verify it doesn't work without GPS Gate?

Corona

a.k.a.
-SBK|d00mz
Short Bus Kids Radio
SBKRadio.net
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 17 juin 2005 :  03:55:15  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Me ;-)

I noticed it, and then when people asked "what's wrong" I suggested them to try GPS Gate. Hmm, perhaps 5 users so far ;-)

Go to Top of Page

Squaredancer

284 Posts

Posted - 17 juin 2005 :  04:49:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marvin,
Have you tried going into "Device Manager", selecting the com port being used, and changed the baud rate to 38,400. The default baud rate of Windows is 9600. The mismatch could be the problem. Additionally, looking at other websites, if people are using S&T 2003 or earlier, the update rate is greater than 1 second (that was changed in S&T 2004). The US Globasat website has a link to patches that can be applied to the older software to update faster.

Once I can find a com port, I have no problems of S&T seeing mny BT338 (via BT)

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 17 juin 2005 :  13:41:25  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, thanks Bob, using Bluetooth connection is another good alternative. With BT it works just fine (just like it does with GPS Gate). But try to use direct cable connection and see if you can come up with some solution. S&T needs its 4,800, it will not work with anything else. (But it is really a non-issue for me. GPS Gate should be on every computer. It should be a standard Windows feature, actually.)

Go to Top of Page

Squaredancer

284 Posts

Posted - 17 juin 2005 :  17:47:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, the only way for me to hook up via cable is using the Pharos i360 Receiver (that came with S&T). Although I haven't hooked it up lately, it did work fine. However, I think the data rate of that is 4800.

Marv, since you're so KNOWLEDGABLE AND CREATIVE, this would be a good time to try that SIRF III User 1 Protocal. BUT DON'T FORGET: You have to figure out a way to get it out of that mode. Otherwise you're hung up in no mans land.

Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 17 juin 2005 :  19:59:21  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob you made me LOL there for a moment...

No need to try to be creative, it's really a non-issue for me. The only problem is the unsuspecting S&T user who will not know for a moment why it is not working. Let's hope MS will introduce support for other baud rates.

Go to Top of Page

GpsGate

3 Posts

Posted - 18 juin 2005 :  11:15:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GpsGate acts as an automatic baudrate converter, this is the way GpsGate makes this case work. The virtual ports used for output simply adapts automatically to what settings the application needs.

However you will still need to set the input baudrate (and port) to the values the GPS supports.

GpsGate http://franson.com/gpsgate
GPS sharing - Run many GPS applications at the same time!
GPS simulation - Great during demonstration and development!
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 18 juin 2005 :  13:12:23  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote

...and to set the correct input baud rate is just a mouse click in GPS Gate:

I just added this to Tips & Tricks page. Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

dougshepard

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 16 déc. 2005 :  03:57:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was able to get my GPSlim236 to work with S&T using GpsGate (I didn't even try it without it). Now I am having trouble getting iGuidance to see the device. Any ideas? The device is COM 40. GpsGate sends it to COM 8 and COM 22. I am using COM 22 in S&T and trying to use COM 8 in iGuidance.

Thanks much!

Doug
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 16 déc. 2005 :  12:07:50  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Doug,

Welcome to GpsPasSion Forums!

IGuidance should have no problems with COM 8, but it would likely not work with COM 22 (S&T 2006 is now good all the way to COM 100). Just make sure nothing is using COM 8 (or create another virtual com port in GPS Gate), then start iGuidance and go to Tools > "GPS Options" > "Auto Detect".

Marvin Hlavac - - located just north of Toronto, Canada :-)
iGkeys | iG Customization | S&Tkeys | ARkeys | S&T + AR Tips & Tricks
Go to Top of Page

thirteen

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 16 déc. 2005 :  15:47:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome posts guys...i was wondering why S&T was having such a kiniption fit. I'll have GPSGate downloaded for the new unit.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,65 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05