Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2166

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Software
 "Off-Road" GPS Software
 Outdoor Navigator
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

SassKwatch

103 Posts

Posted - 27 août 2003 :  03:14:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rrypma

As for the pricing of MM with Full USA Topo on CD:
https://www.lightlink.com/stephens/memory-map/buy_us.html

But look at the resolution...1:250,000. Kinda weak for anything but the most basic topo usage.

Maptech maps generally run $100/US state.....though they do have periodic sales which reduce prices considerably. E.g., I just picked up their 'National Parks' cd (which covers things I didn't even know were Nat'l Parks in the US) for $50. In addition, every one of their 'state' packages (and this NP thing I picked up) also come with a copy of their 'Terrain Navigator' s/w...which is a very nice desktop package.

And as for resolution, the Maptech packages come with both 1:24,000 and 1:100,000 solutions. The 1:24,000 stuff is *very* nicely detailed.

-=Sass=-
Go to Top of Page

dmt

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 28 août 2003 :  07:08:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been on the fence about ON because of MapTech's map pricing. But with the addition of the Subscription service it has become much more affordable. Just wish they had a way to view larger areas for picking topo's to download. I would expect that's by plan to keep one from easily downloading several states or very large numbers of maps.
Go to Top of Page

gaffer

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 28 août 2003 :  16:22:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
First, the “storage card error” you mention is usually caused by the PDA being jogged out of the Navman sleeve while accessing a map on a CF card in the sleeve. It may also be caused by running out of program memory. Try closing all other applications (tap Start / Settings / System / Memory / Running programs / Stop All).

Actually, am using a Dell Axim X5 Advanced (PPC2002) with a 256MB Lexar SD card, so no Navman sleeve. Definitely a "running out of program memory" problem. Did close all other applications, but can still cause the error anytime by loading a 11.7MB map (merged two quads), then zoom out until the error appears. Of course, I could probably avoid this error in most cases, but it would be much better if the program could trap it. Because when this error comes up, I've got to reset everything.

Anyway, despite this error, I am now leaning towards getting the Memory-Map product, for two reasons: 1) I've discovered that tracks are important enough to me that I don't want to do without them, and 2) there is the occasional map I would like to scan into my collection -- so the MapTech collection isn't always enough. I already have the MapTech Nat'l Parks collection (got that before it went on sale ), and Memory-Map does give links to state-by-state resources for downloading quads -- which has been sufficient for my non-Nat'l Park maps, so far. And lastly, though I'm a relative novice now, I may eventually come to appreciate some of Memory-Map's extra features.

gaffer

--------------------------------------------------
"... don't try to cynical. It's perfectly easy to be cynical."
"My dear fellow, it isn't easy to be anything nowadays. There's such a lot of beastly competition about." -- Oscar Wilde, TIOBE
Go to Top of Page

rrypma

USA
100 Posts

Posted - 28 août 2003 :  19:56:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sure everyone is aware, but it seems ON will offer the 'tracks' function eventually into their package. The question is whether free updates to the program will become available and when this crucial ability will be implemented.
Go to Top of Page

gaffer

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 28 août 2003 :  22:36:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I'm sure everyone is aware, but it seems ON will offer the 'tracks' function eventually into their package. The question is whether free updates to the program will become available and when this crucial ability will be implemented.

Will they? I inquired of MapTech a while back about adding 'tracks' to ON, and they said that new features would be added, but they never committed themselves to any particular new functionality. Have you heard otherwise? I was going to take a chance on them adding this, but decided it would be foolish to gamble on something they'd never actually committed to.

If they add it two years from now, I'll probably have a new PDA by then and will need to buy a new copy of topo-software anyway. Decided I need to choose software products on what they provide NOW.

--------------------------------------------------
"... don't try to cynical. It's perfectly easy to be cynical."
"My dear fellow, it isn't easy to be anything nowadays. There's such a lot of beastly competition about." -- Oscar Wilde, TIOBE
Go to Top of Page

Brad

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 29 août 2003 :  02:41:07  Show Profile  Visit Brad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"Just wish they had a way to view larger areas for picking topo's to download. I would expect that's by plan to keep one from easily downloading several states or very large numbers of maps."

Could you please elaborate on this? I am studying purchasing ON or waiting until their upgrade of PN which is supposed to allow me to pull the maps off of my PC's hard drive via Terrian Navigator PRO.
Thanks Brad

http://www.atvexplorers.com/
Go to Top of Page

SassKwatch

103 Posts

Posted - 29 août 2003 :  03:30:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gaffer

Will they? I inquired of MapTech a while back about adding 'tracks' to ON, and they said that new features would be added, but they never committed themselves to any particular new functionality. Have you heard otherwise? I was going to take a chance on them adding this, but decided it would be foolish to gamble on something they'd never actually committed to.

Though it offers no time committment, it does seem fairly certain these type features will be added. Check out this thread.....

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=773&whichpage=2

....and look for posts from 'jseigel', one of the developers of Outdoor Navigator. He was frequenting this site pretty regularly for a while. And now that I think about it, it does seem a little strange he hasn't popped in with a comment or 2 about ON since it's release for PPC.

-=Sass=-
Go to Top of Page

dmt

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 29 août 2003 :  03:42:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brad

"Just wish they had a way to view larger areas for picking topo's to download. I would expect that's by plan to keep one from easily downloading several states or very large numbers of maps."

Could you please elaborate on this? I am studying purchasing ON or waiting until their upgrade of PN which is supposed to allow me to pull the maps off of my PC's hard drive via Terrian Navigator PRO.
Thanks Brad

Relative to ON, purchase of Maps is via Subscription, $100 for the first year and then $30 for following year(s). This subscription allows you download maps from the MapServer (as many, or as many times, as you want). The MapServer Search and Download page allows you to select a large set of maps but each map must be downloaded one at a time. Unless they create "Map Packs", which there are for National Parks, Appalachian Trail, Coastal Waters and, soon to be added, the Continental Divide Trail Pack. So let's say you want to down load all of the maps for Washington State. You would first need to creat a search that would get you all of those maps displayed on the Download screen (so far I have not been able to figure out how to do that). But, assuming you could get all of the State maps displayed, then you can only select one map at a time for download.

What I would like to see is the abliity to select any number, or ALL, of the maps the search returned and download them with one "click". The download would of course take considerable time but I could do it late at night and just let it run.

The MapTech folks seem to be quite open to suggestions (Cont.Divide Trail Pack - was mine) and I have sent them this one as well.

Hope that helps.

Edited by - dmt on 29 août 2003 03:58:01
Go to Top of Page

SassKwatch

103 Posts

Posted - 29 août 2003 :  03:59:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brad

Pocket Navigator can already utilize maps from the "Terrain Navigator" series of CD's via Active Sync and the desktop side app called 'Memory Map'. No need to wait for an upgrade unless there is something that differentiates the 'Terrain Navigator **Pro**' series maps from the 'Terrain Navigator' series. I thought the differences between the Pro and non-Pro versions were all in the s/w and not in the maps themselves, but I could be wrong.

In any case, the TN series of maps come all nicely wrapped and packaged for you on ~6-8 CD's per package (depends on the state or series you purchase). Just plop one cd from that series in your desktop, open it up in Memory Map and dl the desired area to the PPC. It's all very convenient. But a convenience you pay for.

With Outdoor Navigator, the maps come much cheaper and you can dl as many as your little heart desires over the subscription period. *But*, and for some it may be a significant 'but', the convenience I mentioned above ain't there. You have to go to the Maptech site, search for the maps you desire, and then dl each one. And from the little playing I've done with the demo, it appears you have to dl each map individually. I've not discovered a means to 'batch' dl a group of maps. I.e., I can't click a checkbox for say 20 different maps and then say 'Download All Checked' (or some such). *IF* that sort of functionality is there, I've missed it.

So, I guess just from a map standpoint, it's a question of whether you want the convenience of a nicely packaged set of cd's for which you're willing to pay a premium, or would you rather save some $$ and spend the time dl'ing exactly the maps of your choice.

-=Sass=-
Go to Top of Page

SassKwatch

103 Posts

Posted - 29 août 2003 :  04:11:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dmt

What I would like to see is the abliity to select any number, or ALL, of the maps the search returned and download them with one "click". The download would of course take considerable time but I could do it late at night and just let it run.

I think we'd all like to see that ability. But from a purely marketing perspective, I'm not sure I'll hold my breath waiting for it to happen.....

- It would seem likely such 'batch' dl'ing capabilities would require a *LOT* of available bandwidth.

- And maybe more importantly (at least from a business perspective), if such capability were offered, what would be the incentive for folks to re-up the subscription. Tops maps don't change much, so it's not like frequent updates will be required. And if we had that ability, we could probably dl everything on their servers in the first year.

I highly suspect the overall philosophy at work here is something like...."Take your choice. Either save a lot of $$ by utilizing the Outdoor Navigator series of maps. Or spend the $$ and have the convenience of having us 'batch' the maps for you in the Terrain Navigator series. Your choice."

-=Sass=-
Go to Top of Page

dmt

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 29 août 2003 :  16:41:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So far I've found MapTech (Mark Jadkowski-VP) to be very communicative and quite responsive to suggestions. His note follows:

Thanks for the suggestions. Regarding the “Map Packs”, we are planning a Windows Client Application for Q1 2004 that will let you specify states, counties, parks, boating areas, etc, then download all the maps and/or charts directly to your SD card with basically one click (we hope).

Go to Top of Page

Brad

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 29 août 2003 :  19:55:37  Show Profile  Visit Brad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've heard that downloading maps off of Terrain Navigator for Pocket Navigator is a bit of a hassle too. Is this true? Exactly how easy is this process?

I'm asking this because I already own Terrain Navigator and I'm scratching my head wondering whether Pocket Nav or ON is the best way to go. A friend who also has Terrain Navigator purchased Pocket Navigator and ultimately returned it. He said the map downloading process was a pain in the neck.

Thanks Brad

http://www.atvexplorers.com/

Edited by - Brad on 29 août 2003 21:21:14
Go to Top of Page

dmt

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 29 août 2003 :  23:51:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't use Terrain Navigator. I only use ON. The download process from the internet to the PPC is very easy. Once the maps are on your PC you only have to click on the file and it will search out the Storage Card(s) on your PPC and let you select where you want the file downloaded to. One more click and the map is loaded on the PPC. I didn't have any use for TN.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93884 Posts

Posted - 30 août 2003 :  00:06:52  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ok, I've fired up ON! (thanks Jeff and Doran for getting me set up).
At this point it's really a "moving map" program, i.e the map puts your position on the map automatically and calculates bearing to waypont, ETA. It's nice but coming from MM or OziCE some severe adjustment is needed and people who've been through the learning curve including the map creation/purchase process will likely not switch. They're clearly not the target market either. ON takes out the pain of the "map process" at a great price and that has...no price ;-) I like the 3 "tappable" fields too, very nice and user friendly.

If they can add routes and tracks, then they can make everyone happy or at least me!

jsiegel

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 30 août 2003 :  01:06:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SassKwatch

....and look for posts from 'jseigel', one of the developers of Outdoor Navigator. He was frequenting this site pretty regularly for a while. And now that I think about it, it does seem a little strange he hasn't popped in with a comment or 2 about ON since it's release for PPC.

Hey - I'm on this site every day! It's been too nice in Maine over the last couple of days to be in the office - so I've been quiet. I've read through this very active thread and will make a few comments.

First, Outdoor Navigator is still very new. It's been out for less than 6 months and we've released two Palm versions and one PPC version. In addition to that, the entire MapServer interface was developed, updated, and maintained. It's been a huge effort to get all of this out.

There are no plans to charge for any new features that are planned for the product. I can imagine that there might be some data overlays that might require an additional subscription someday, but the software and associated peripheral applications won't require any cost other than maintaining your subscription.

I'm the author of the Palm and PPC applications. Here is what I know is coming next:

1. Garmin iQue support for Palm - this is complete. Maptech is showing this at the Newport Boat Show in a couple of weeks. The iQue is the only PDA that I know of that integrates a GPS into the device. It's pretty slick.

2. Routes. This is mostly done (in fact, testers of the iQue support have made more comments about using routes than the iQue support!). I'd expect v1.3 to be released this year for Palm and PPC which includes full route support.

3. "Outdoor Manager" - this is a new application. There was a quote from Mark Jadkowski somewhere in this thread that talked a little about this capability. Basically, Outdoor Manager is a Windows application that allows a user to maintain "playlists" of maps. With one click, you can download all of the maps in a playlist, or verify that you have the latest version of the maps in a playlist. It handles all of the downloading and can be restarted if you are disconnected, etc. Maptech will provide many playlists to choose from based on their extensive catalog of map bundlings. Playlist examples are things like every county, national parks, nautical "regions", etc. Using this application will remove the ad hoc, one-by-one downloading of maps from the MapServer. The MapServer is staying so you can always use the querying mechanism to find and download a single map. This playlist capability was the feature most frequently asked for...and we changed the development plan to move it up ASAP. I'd suspect early versions of this will start appearing at the end of the year.

4. Tracks. This will happen right after Outdoor Manager. It might be combined with some of the other things which are low on the list: multiple rows of data boxes, map rotation.

In addition to those 4 things, I have a five page document of additional items which are planned. There are many new capabilities that are possible with the internet connectivity of the product. A few items which are obvious are:

1. Interactive map downloading. All of the data for Outdoor Navigator is tiled. The MapServer provides files today but we have an API for serving tiles too. This means that, given internet connectivity, tiles will be served on-demand and you'll never need to download a map unless you want better panning/display speed.

2. Overlay data. OK, I'm about to take my boat from Maine to Florida. I'd really like to know where fuel is available along the way as well as marinas, restaurants, etc. Maptech currently produces their Embassy Guides which contain all of this information. Surprise, surprise...all of the data exists in databases too. It isn't hard to imagine all of the possible overlay data that could be drawn on a map as you want it. This will probably exist as downloads or on-demand with internet connectivity too.

I hope that this answers some of the issues raised on this thread. I'm happy to answer questions and I'll continue to snoop around on this site. This site is where I get my GPS information from! As always, don't hesitate to give us suggestions (online or offline). Outdoor Manager is a perfect example of altering the development based on listening to suggestions...

Edited by - jsiegel on 30 août 2003 01:11:06
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 3,88 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05