Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2180

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 "All in One" Navigation Systems
 "ALL-IN-ONE" - GlobalSat GV-101 SiRF StarIII
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Steve672

102 Posts

Posted - 05 mai 2005 :  17:12:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GLOBALSAT GV-101 "All-in-One" Available

GV-101 in the field, Bluetooth module seen on the right

I have been using the GV-101 for a week comparing it to other "all-in-one's" like the TomTom GO and the SiRFstarIII chipset helps as could be expected. The multi-media features can also come in handy. Weight is ok and features are good, especially the handsfree Bluetooth module addon. Overall design is maybe not very "sleek" compared to the competition, but that's not something that should stop a GPS fan. The GV-101 is available from US Globalsat in Limited Advance Stock.

Other random notes after a few days of use:
1. Needs SD or CF to be programmed from the CD to run, a preinstalled version would have been nice especially since it is multi-language
2. CF is Slot 1, so no MicroDrive for movies
3. SD slot does not work with the Maxell 2GB SD card I have
4. Sound is loud and clear
5. Phone dialer via Bluetooth works well.
6. Intellinav PNA version lacks some features of the PDA version, like speed limits.
7. I think it would gain from having static navigation enabled because it tends to "jerk around" quite a bit in town (Update - I have enabled SN and it helps stabilize the position)
8. Haven't found a way to set the time, it seems to be set to Taiwan time (Update - was able to do that by accessing the WinCE control pannel after installing GSfinder)
8. Menus are pretty zippy and well translated, although the FRA version has traces of German in it.
9. It is possible to run standard WinCE applications.

All in all an interesting device. Questions, comments ?

Has anyone seen this - this. Looks great. If it could only make breakfast...
Steve

Edited by - Steve672 on 05 mai 2005 17:22:26

Ads

gpspassion

93896 Posts

Posted - 05 mai 2005 :  17:22:51  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes I spent a bit of time with it at CeBIT - >LINK<

Design is still a bit rough, but the UI is certainly quite nice. It's difficult to bring a device like this to market though.

sdsdv10

26 Posts

Posted - 15 sept. 2005 :  19:20:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This item is now available for purchase at the Globalsat website for $700. See link below.

http://www.usglobalsat.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=62&catid=3

Don
Go to Top of Page

admin_0

1 Posts

Posted - 22 sept. 2005 :  17:49:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks good. A bit too big for my back pocket. A little big for my wallet too. How much does this sucker weigh? I didn't see that in the specs.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93896 Posts

Posted - 23 sept. 2005 :  02:25:52  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
First impressions posted at the top of this thread.

schneid

202 Posts

Posted - 07 oct. 2005 :  00:01:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very interesting product and down to $425 at GlobalSat. When someone brings a CE compatible product like this to market with VGA, a larger screen, and more storage, I think it will be a killer. Maybe breed its OS and feature set with the iWay, case and display only, and we'd have something. If it had USB, it couldhave an external drive for MP3s and DVDs.

It looks like it is bundled with iGuidance by GlobalSat. Makes me wonder if you can load others like TomTom too?
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93896 Posts

Posted - 07 oct. 2005 :  09:29:37  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That new pricing certainly makes it attractive. I've been a fan of WinCE devices for ever, well at least when they started surfacing as these ill-fated "internet appliances", the ePod was a lot of fun to hack, too bad I sold it ! Closer to use we got the GPS devices http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/articles.asp?id=147 at least in Europe and pretty much anything can run on these, OziCE, BetaPlayer (DivX), TomTom, etc...

The GV-101 is a bit different with the requirement to boot from the SD or CF card and I haven't been able to run TomTom on it even by adding the ususl .dll's, it might be using a slightly different CPU.

admin_0

1 Posts

Posted - 07 oct. 2005 :  20:18:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am looking for a handheld GPS for in-car and walking in the city navigation. Garmin Nuvi 350 looks sexy, small, and loaded with features, but what's turning me off is the internal non-replaceable battery, so what do I do with it after two-year usage when the battery is weak or dead? GV-101 seems ideal with the replaceable battery except it's a little bit bulky, has anyone tried to navigate with it while walking in the city? Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

schneid

202 Posts

Posted - 08 oct. 2005 :  15:17:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darn. No TomTom, no GV-101 for me. Is it Navigator 5 that won't run?

I thought the Nexio XP-30 had real potential but it seems to be vaporware.

Edited by - schneid on 08 oct. 2005 15:22:41
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93896 Posts

Posted - 09 oct. 2005 :  00:02:49  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, it might be a case of a missing DLL, but I haven't had the time to look it up yet.

gpspassion

93896 Posts

Posted - 09 oct. 2005 :  11:25:58  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ok so I did a bit more digging and added the .dll file that was missing, i.e. wininet.dll but no go, now it says it is not a valid Win CE application, so I guess the WinCE of the GV-101 was compiled differently.

dtech

6 Posts

Posted - 12 oct. 2005 :  21:06:10  Show Profile  Visit dtech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Gpspassion,

can you list the .dll that you installed on the gv-101 when trying to run tomtom?

thanks,
david
Go to Top of Page

ohdeareverton

6 Posts

Posted - 20 oct. 2005 :  02:04:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, has anyone put any other nav software on the gv101 yet?
If so give us a clue.
Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93896 Posts

Posted - 20 oct. 2005 :  02:26:39  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Do you have anything specific in mind? The intellinav software that ships with it is pretty capable, probably up there with TomTom and Navigon.

ohdeareverton

6 Posts

Posted - 20 oct. 2005 :  11:18:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any software that can use custom poi's particularly speed cameras.
Go to Top of Page

ohdeareverton

6 Posts

Posted - 20 oct. 2005 :  17:17:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone have a guide to running standard WinCE applications on the gv101. Also how do you access the Win CE control panel (to change the clock etc)?
Any help greatly appreciated.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,91 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05