Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com
fiogf49gjkf0d

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2791

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Software
 "Off-Road" GPS Software
 "Round-up" of available solutions - 03/2007
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

onever

16 Posts

Posted - 25 juil. 2003 :  20:47:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got another one for you: National Geographic's "Pocket TOPO!"
http://maps.nationalgeographic.com/topo/sync.cfm
Works with their TOPO! USA series (scanned USGS topo quads). You have
to buy maps separatly, ~$80 per state (or region, for smaller states,
like North East for e.g.)
I've been playing with it for couple of days, looks pretty decent.
Map's legibility is excellent, but the PDA's part of the program has
limited functionality compared to desktop part. I'll do more
"in depth" review when I get to know it better.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94640 Posts

Posted - 25 juil. 2003 :  20:53:59  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ok great!

Go to Top of Page

MickJ

United Kingdom
129 Posts

Posted - 04 déc. 2003 :  12:28:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Out of interest - the quality of digital recordings and playback is IMHO significantly less than that of digital. Not a good analogy.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94640 Posts

Posted - 04 déc. 2003 :  17:00:59  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I"m not sure I'm following, do you mean less than "analog"?

Axolotl

1 Posts

Posted - 05 déc. 2003 :  15:27:30  Show Profile  Visit Axolotl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi,

How about a roundup of GPS "PC" solutions? Can one be done too, please?
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94640 Posts

Posted - 05 déc. 2003 :  16:07:55  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you want Voice guidance in the US, it's easy:
Intellinav OEMs, i.e. iGuidance and Routis!

In Europe that would be MapSonic.

jhansman

USA
288 Posts

Posted - 25 nov. 2004 :  22:21:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm about to order Memory-Map's 'Discoverer' solution. It offers all the features of their Navigator, but won't import 3rd party maps (not an issue for me). What is of note is that buyers should know that while Navigator does import other maps, it does NOT ship with any. In addtion, to utilize the the 3D feature (very nice, from what I can see), you either have to use a map package that includes elevation data, or purchase that data from M-M. Discoverer, on the other hand, comes with complete state map packs that include the elevation data, and is the same price as Navigator. Soooo, for me, Discoverer is the way to go.

Axim X30 High, Belkin BT GPS, iGuidance 2.0, Memory-Map Navigator

Edited by - jhansman on 25 nov. 2004 22:24:24
Go to Top of Page

AlphaMale

48 Posts

Posted - 29 déc. 2004 :  15:49:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This has been very usefull thread, I hope that it will continue to be updated.
Go to Top of Page

mlopes

4 Posts

Posted - 11 févr. 2005 :  02:57:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another solution - my favorite so far - is CompeGPS (http://www.compegps.com). It allows you to download maps from the internet and has a very clean interface.

Marco
Go to Top of Page

David Westerman

Denmark
3 Posts

Posted - 05 oct. 2005 :  12:21:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Off-road newbie seeking assistance.
I have been happily navigating/driving various parts of the world with my Mio 168 and a Destinator solution. Still want to keep driving, but the unavailability of street maps in various corners of the globe has me looking at using digital "paper" maps (I said I was a newbie!).
I have seen the solutions using the UK Ordnance survey Maps and the US equivalents, and one or two other European countries and would like this "quality" for more far-flung corners, where digital maps are not yet available.
So, the question finally, which of the currently available software you have listed allows for input of scanned (paper) maps ? Is this "the way forward" for me or are there other solutions ?
David
Go to Top of Page

Steve672

102 Posts

Posted - 18 avr. 2006 :  02:56:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just came across this site. Looks interesting:
http://travel-map-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

Steve
Go to Top of Page

Perk

4 Posts

Posted - 19 juil. 2006 :  16:19:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by onever

I got another one for you: National Geographic's "Pocket TOPO!"
http://maps.nationalgeographic.com/topo/sync.cfm
Works with their TOPO! USA series (scanned USGS topo quads). You have
to buy maps separatly, ~$80 per state (or region, for smaller states,
like North East for e.g.)
I've been playing with it for couple of days, looks pretty decent.
Map's legibility is excellent, but the PDA's part of the program has
limited functionality compared to desktop part. I'll do more
"in depth" review when I get to know it better.

I'm looking for this sort of software and clicked on your link only to find that Topo Sync is no longer available?! Anyone know of something similar?
Go to Top of Page

yyzdnl

19 Posts

Posted - 23 juil. 2006 :  23:29:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been playing with MapAway this weekend. The waypoint system is kind of tricky for a newbie like myself, but it is easy to load maps from Google Earth and they look great. It has tons of configuration options.

Here is a link to an in depth review. Don't miss the link to a trial version at the bottom of the review.

http://www.pocketnow.com/index.php?a=portal_detail&t=reviews&id=506

Go to Top of Page

TimB

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 20 sept. 2006 :  20:22:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Westerman

I have been happily navigating/driving various parts of the world with my Mio 168 and a Destinator solution. Still want to keep driving, but the unavailability of street maps in various corners of the globe has me looking at using digital "paper" maps (I said I was a newbie!).
I have seen the solutions using the UK Ordnance survey Maps and the US equivalents, and one or two other European countries and would like this "quality" for more far-flung corners, where digital maps are not yet available.
So, the question finally, which of the currently available software you have listed allows for input of scanned (paper) maps ? Is this "the way forward" for me or are there other solutions ?
David

Ozi explorer has this ability. I just loaded the maps from USGS for the whole state of Utah (USA) and will be testing the moving map and trail save features next month. The state of Utah was 10 gig - I had to install a new hard drive in my "jeeputer" in order to go this route. Ozi is pretty feature laden - you need your computer skills to consider this option.
Go to Top of Page

Speedy2

Canada
23 Posts

Posted - 24 sept. 2006 :  19:01:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TimB

quote:
Originally posted by David Westerman

David

Ozi explorer has this ability. I just loaded the maps from USGS for the whole state of Utah (USA) and will be testing the moving map and trail save features next month. The state of Utah was 10 gig - I had to install a new hard drive in my "jeeputer" in order to go this route. Ozi is pretty feature laden - you need your computer skills to consider this option.

Fugawi will also allow you to scan in maps. You need to know the coordinates for calibration of the maps. Most maps have coordinates marked and you just need to input 3 coords. to calibrate.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dell Axim X51v, Holux Slim 236, Fugawi Global Navigator 4.5, Streets and Trips 2008, iGuidance 3.0, Mio C520
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2017_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05