Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com
fiogf49gjkf0d

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2802

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Software
 "Off-Road" GPS Software
 "Round-up" of available solutions - 03/2007
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

gpspassion

94651 Posts

Posted - 18 juil. 2003 :  11:10:22  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here is list of "off-road" navigation protrames. They're "simpler" programs (no routing/re-routing algorithms, etc...) than the vector based programs, but they're quite powerful and take over when the vector maps are "out". If you know of other programs add a message below with a link and a description of your exeperiences with it. Most of these programs have dedidacted threads in the forums where you should go to discuss them further, you'll find them by using either of the site's search engines.

Anyway, here's what the round-up looks like:
Programs with Map importing
1. Memory-map/PocketNavigator
2. OziCE
3. SmartCom (Nokia Smartphones)
4. CompeGPS
5. GPS Tuner
6. NoniGPS Plot
7. Backcountry Navigator

Other Programs
1. VisualGPS CE
2. Beeline GPS

Comments/Questions/Suggestions ?

UPDATED 20070315
Original list July 2003 :
Anyway, here's what the round-up looks like:
Full featured Programs
1. Memory-map/PocketNavigator (Maptech)/Navman GPS3300
2. OziCE
3. Outdoor Navigator (to be released late July)
4. Fugawi
5. Teletype - need to check if expensive geo-coding app is sill needed.
6. Delorme Xmap HH (with TopoUSA 4 vector maps)

Programs with a simple feature set
1. Navio
2. GPSDash
3. Vito Navigator

Ads

msprague

147 Posts

Posted - 18 juil. 2003 :  16:47:27  Show Profile  Visit msprague's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am not sure about the Navman GPS3300, but there are a few differences between Pocket Navigator purchased from Maptech and purchased from Memory-Map. It is the same application base, but the Maptech version has a few limitations.

From the Memory-Map website:
quote:

If you have a registered copy of Maptech Pocket Navigator, you can upgrade to the full Memory-Map Navigator.

Additional map/chart compatibility (eg, Softchart, eTopo)

Merge maps/charts to create seamless maps, avoiding inconvenient chart edges

Print from Memory-Map Navigator on the PC

GPS Upload/Download and real-time tracking on the PC / laptop.

According to an email I received the Memory-Map version also will display a list of "marks" that are defined and let you pick one to go to it on the map. This is a feature missing from the Maptech version that would be very useful.

The upgrade costs $26 from Memory-Map which is the same as the price difference between the two. You can still use the Maptech maps with either version of the software.

I know this is a bit confusing, but I just wanted to make clear that the two software may look identical at first glance, but they are different, with the Memory-Map package having a larger feature set.

gpspassion

94651 Posts

Posted - 18 juil. 2003 :  17:43:41  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very interesting Michael, I wasn't aware of this.
It seems this limitation is not present in the GPS3300 as you can tap and hold and select "go to mark".

Go to Top of Page

msprague

147 Posts

Posted - 18 juil. 2003 :  18:05:50  Show Profile  Visit msprague's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, Maptech has that too. What I was refering to is functionality that is available on the desktop version where you can open up a list of all marks that are defined and pick one from the list to center the map screen on that location. The Maptech Pocket PC software does not have that ability, but I was told in an email that the Memory-Map version does have it on the Pocket PC, but I cannot verify that because I have not upgraded.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94651 Posts

Posted - 18 juil. 2003 :  18:11:03  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've checked.
I can go Menu/Overlay/List... select a Mark and it then gets centered. Is that what you're referring to?

Go to Top of Page

msprague

147 Posts

Posted - 18 juil. 2003 :  18:35:00  Show Profile  Visit msprague's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That would be the feature! I cannot do that with Maptech Pocket Navigator. This is my Overlay menu.

gpspassion

94651 Posts

Posted - 18 juil. 2003 :  20:07:35  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ok, that's it! I think it's a pretty severe limitation and well worth the $26 bucks! How do you find your marks/tracks/routes then?

Here you go

Go to Top of Page

msprague

147 Posts

Posted - 18 juil. 2003 :  20:31:37  Show Profile  Visit msprague's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's a bit of a pain. The only way to find them is to scroll around. One other thing that I can't do is center the map to the current gps location if I am out of the area of the currently selected map. Can you do that directly? The other feature I wish it had is to fill in the lat/lon when a new mark is created with the current gps coords. I don't have a way to mark my exact location. Do you with the Navman version? Do you have the ability to stitch map areas together on the desktop before sending them to the Pocket PC?
I was holding off on the Memory-Map upgrade until I determine if I will want to switch to Outdoor Navigator or not.

gpspassion

94651 Posts

Posted - 18 juil. 2003 :  20:46:32  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Let's take this to a new GPS3300 thread ;-)

Go to Top of Page

onever

16 Posts

Posted - 18 juil. 2003 :  21:11:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am surprised that nobody mentioned DeLorme’s TopoUSA/XMap solution. For $99 you get topographic coverage of the whole USA, including Alaska and Hawaii. I used it during my vacation on Hawaii and it worked to my complete satisfaction. Without it I wouldn’t be able to see so much in just 10 days. It had all 4WD roads and most of the hiking trails, majority of those were not marked in any way. I read before that being a vector-based topo solution, the TopoUSA is not as good as MapTech’s USGS based PocketMap, but so far I don’t see much difference, at least not for day-long excursions.
And then again, if you need the whole wealth of information provided by USGS quads, you can buy it from DeLorme, at ~$99 per state. The fact that it is vector-based also have numerous advantages: map sizes are very reasonable (I had full topo of the island of Hawaii in 25Mb and Maui in 12Mb); it has full street/highway information; every map feature is “tapable” – it gives you a short description of the item you tap on, like stream or trail name for e.g.; maps are fully searchable for landmarks and feature names. You can even use it for street navigation, it’s not as convenient as my Routis software, but at least, unlike Routis, it has coverage of Hawaii and Maui (Routis only has Oahu). The software does have some quirks and takes some time to get used to it. Screen redraws are sometimes painfully slow, especially when you zoom out. I wouldn’t want to use it as car navigation system if I had a choice. But for hiking or offroading it’s more than adequate, and the price is very hard to beat…
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94651 Posts

Posted - 18 juil. 2003 :  22:32:33  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Correct I fogot it. Quite by accident, but when I recall the poor experience I had with it last year, I'm not surprised now...I had gotten Xmap HH to use the Topo USA4 maps, but after trying a few times, I gave up. To be honest I don't remember exactly what was wrong with it (probably have to search the forum), but the overall user experience was quite poor.

Go to Top of Page

lombard0

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 18 juil. 2003 :  23:11:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
XmapHH does work OK with WM2003 and the newer Xscale processors. In fact, this programs goes way back and has roots from the "Solus" and "Solus Pro" program which may have been one of the first PocketPC nav programs.

One of it best attributes is it's price, probably the least expensive around. It may not have all the slick features of other programs but it's got all the basics and can do topographical as well as street maps, one of the few programs that can handle both.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94651 Posts

Posted - 18 juil. 2003 :  23:20:37  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So it works better under WM2003? I'll search the forums for the "problems" I was having then ;-)

Go to Top of Page

lombard0

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 18 juil. 2003 :  23:25:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Overlay manager of Memory Map is a nice feature but I've lived without for years. I usually just leave my routes and tracks in place. If you need to you can hide them on an individual basis. Same thing for Marks.

These are all saved in the file userdata.mmo, found in the \Data folder. So at any time you can rename and save away this information and transfer back in forth from desktop to PDA.

The $26 upgrade from MapTech is a pretty good deal and includes a desktop Printing feature.

Also note the licenses can't be interchanged. In fact, when upgrading it seems to delete the Maptech version and visa vera when downgrading back.

Edited by - lombard0 on 18 juil. 2003 23:28:14
Go to Top of Page

onever

16 Posts

Posted - 19 juil. 2003 :  01:11:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Problems with XMap HH? Sure, there are plenty. Can you name even one piece of software without problems? Routis, so highly praised in these forums, have quite a share of those, IMO. Does it make it a bad program? XMap, especially along with its desktop counterpart, works for certain range of tasks and while not perfect, does so surprisingly well.
Having a vector based topo map allows you query any feature on the screen by taping it. Try that on bitmap image. Let’s say you are zoomed in to a certain place on the map and you want to know the name of the stream you are walking along. If you have a topo bitmap image you will either have to zoom out to see the label, or scroll the map to find where is it placed on the map. Having access to all street/route data in topo program is another nice feature of XMap. User interface is weird at best, but once you get through it – the program serves it’s function. It’s not street navigation solution by any stretch of imagination, but it’s a good GPS-enabled map browser. I personally believe that the future of all maps is digital – i.e. vector. It will take some time but it will happen. It’s like comparing analog and digital audio/video. Sure you can have a nice analog recording, but you can do so much more with digital…
BTW, I am using XMap on Axim 400Mhz under “old”, not 2003, windows – works OK.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94651 Posts

Posted - 19 juil. 2003 :  01:19:08  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Let's not turn this thread into specific program discussions, it's aim is to round-up existing solutions. Point taken on the existence of Xmap HH. Feel free to start another thread to discuss its merits. Problems/bugs are coming back to mind so I'll be happy to participate.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2017_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,83 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05