Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2250

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Advanced Topics
 General Technical Discussions
 SiRFdemo tutorial (static navigation)
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 39

trollianer

3 Posts

Posted - 18 oct. 2007 :  11:19:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Carl and AllyCat,

thanks for your replies. It can't be the reception, I also observe this behaviour with 10-12 satellites and 0.8-1.2 DOP.
Also the speed values in the RMC string are not exactly zeroed, they're completely left out, while the heading stays unchanged:
$GPRMC,140506.000,A,48xx.xxxx,N,009xx.xxxx,E,,100.30,xx1007,,,A*70
("x" inserted by me)

Unfortunately my PPC Software doesn't understand SIRF Code directly

Cheers,
Trollianer

For the record (in case someone else is searching the web for information on the same device):
To communicate with the device over bluetooth, the connection speed has to be set to 9600 baud. To switch the device to sirf mode using sirfdemo , use "Transmit Serial Message", check the "NMEA"-radiobutton and insert "PSRF100,0,9600,8,1,0" (got it from this great thread, thanks!).
If the communication is screwed up (e.g. setting the wrong baud rate) it is sufficient to remove the battery for about 15 minutes.

Go to Top of Page

pyxis

63 Posts

Posted - 18 oct. 2007 :  15:06:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
See pages 3-51 and 3-52 in the PC SIRFDemo User Guide, particularly the Track Smoothing and Dead Reckoning options under the Navigation Mode. It is not clearly stated whether the Static Navigation or the Track Smoothing option is preemminent. Static Navigation is a feature that was called for by early users who did not like to see their map position indicator jitter while stopped. Wishes are not always perfect!
Go to Top of Page

Carl@SiRF

USA
159 Posts

Posted - 19 oct. 2007 :  00:48:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since you are seeing static nav off, and since there are cases where the velocity is reported as a null field (... ,, ...) that is clear indication that the velocity is considered unreliable at the lower speeds and therefore not reported. If we activate Static Nav, you will see the same thing in some software versions -- velocity < some arbitrary limit = unreliable, do not report. It makes detecting static nav harder!

Carl - SiRF Customer Support
Go to Top of Page

trollianer

3 Posts

Posted - 24 oct. 2007 :  10:22:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

thanks for your help and good suggestions. I still didn't find out how it could work for me so I gave up and sent it back to the store :( Next time I'll read more _before_ ordering the receiver ;)

Cheers,
Trollianer
Go to Top of Page

Allycat

United Kingdom
59 Posts

Posted - 25 oct. 2007 :  23:10:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by trollianer

Next time I'll read more _before_ ordering the receiver ;)

Hi,

The problem is that it's almost impossible to find any information on these subtle details. One of my main complaints about this issue is that the NMEA and SiRF protocols communicate different numerical values (not just a different format or resolution), yet nowhere in any specifications will you find any mention of this.

The Holux 236 has been manufactured with at least 4 different versions of firmware (all with apparently different NMEA "threshold" speeds), yet the Holux specification has not changed. But IMHO the specification is largely nonsense anyway; for example it claims far higher accuracy in SBAS mode, yet early firmware versions didn't even support SBAS! It could be said that SBAS can be made available by upgrading the firmware (another feature claimed in the specification) but Holux have never officially released any firmware upgrades.

Thanks pyxis and Carl for your comments, but I must reiterate that this is not an issue with the gps engine (nor poor reception conditions) but occurs in the "translation" of the velocity data from the SiRF to NMEA protocol. Yet the vast majority of users will be using NMEA protocol, since many applications don't even support SiRF protocol.

Cheers, Alan.
Go to Top of Page

guzya

24 Posts

Posted - 28 oct. 2007 :  14:38:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have LOOX C550 and Nokia LD-3W, so i installed SIRFDemo for PPC.
My pda and nokia are paired using com4. But in SiRFDemo there is no port 4 in a dropdown list. Only: serialcable com1, com8, com3 Infrared Port, com2 Native IR, BT UART on COM5. Check all... none of those are working.
What should i do to connec those devices?

Does Nokia uses custom build sirf firmware?

TIA
Go to Top of Page

saimhe

Lithuania
135 Posts

Posted - 28 oct. 2007 :  14:47:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
in SiRFDemo there is no port 4 in a dropdown list

As a rule of thumb while working with COM ports, if programmers weren't lazy they made the list editable -- you can merely type in "COM4:" and that will work.
Go to Top of Page

guzya

24 Posts

Posted - 28 oct. 2007 :  21:19:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No it isn't editable, just a drop-down to choose. How could i get my port into that list?
Go to Top of Page

Leif

Sweden
141 Posts

Posted - 28 oct. 2007 :  22:28:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nokia LD-3W is difficult to get into SiRF binary protocol for making setting changes. The aplsirf Pocket PC program is known to work with Nokia LD-3W.
Go to Top of Page

guzya

24 Posts

Posted - 29 oct. 2007 :  12:59:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What do you mean - difficult. It's possible or impossible. Are they using custom build sirf firmware?

Edited by - guzya on 29 oct. 2007 12:59:42
Go to Top of Page

guzya

24 Posts

Posted - 29 oct. 2007 :  15:53:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From SiRFDemoPPC manual

Select the port that the GPS product is connected to from the Port pulldown menu.
To make the selection easier, SiRFDemoPPC only displays available ports as well as the description assigned to that port.
Go to Top of Page

Leif

Sweden
141 Posts

Posted - 29 oct. 2007 :  21:05:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have made several debug versions of SirfTech in cooperation with various LD-3W users trying to make it able to switch to SiRF binary protocol and then be able to communicate to get and set settings but I have failed. So obviously it is too difficult for my programming ability so far.

Then if you manage to switch to SiRF and change some setting which is possible with aplsirf, I think the change is lost when the receiver is reset the next time at power off or perhaps even when changing back to NMEA.

Best Regards
Dennis Gröning
Go to Top of Page

saimhe

Lithuania
135 Posts

Posted - 30 oct. 2007 :  13:44:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
To make the selection easier, SiRFDemoPPC only displays available ports

That's it -- despite the fact that M$'s BT stack doesn't even bother to make them "available". Does it mean that SiRFDemo developers only knew something better, like Widcomm stack? :)

On a HTC TyTN, I've seen the same problem both under WM5 and WM6. The former was compatible to some freeware port splitter application (forgot its name) that was able to create "visible" outgoing ports. SiRFDemoPPC was happy with them.

WM6 has the "External GPS" applet which does the same (outgoing ports are "visible"). However, it was too late: I was already disappointed with SiRFDemoPPC and chose SirfTech.
Go to Top of Page

guzya

24 Posts

Posted - 30 oct. 2007 :  16:07:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Leif,
what do you think, why it is so difficult? Nokia use SiRF but it it not available for SiRFDemo?
BeeLineGPS is able to switch WAAS/EGNOS and Static Navigation, is it true for LW-3D or not? What should i do the check real EGNOS here in Europe and to check real Static navigation of my LW-3D?

saimhe,
What do you mean by "I was already disappointed with SiRFDemoPPC and chose SirfTech.
Go to Top of Page"?
Go to Top of Page

saimhe

Lithuania
135 Posts

Posted - 30 oct. 2007 :  16:34:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Regarding "Go to Top of Page", blame your browser :)

Regarding SiRFDemoPPC, I don't remember whether it was something serious, however subjectivelly it has too many bells and whistles -- whereas SirfTech does exactly what I need and doesn't strive for more.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 39 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 4,06 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05