Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2215

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Advanced Topics
 Maps and POIs
 TomTom USA Routing: Tele Atlas wants your help
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

gman

USA
320 Posts

Posted - 15 juil. 2003 :  02:27:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ikesler:

What features did you request?
Go to Top of Page

WarpedSpace

2 Posts

Posted - 17 juil. 2003 :  20:29:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The suggestion earlier in this thread to adjust the Preferred Speeds to better reflect true average speeds on roads of certain types... Has anyone achieved improved results from trying this over the default numbers for speed limits? Does anyone have numbers that they could suggest? I want to try and I’m looking for a place to start.

Thanks,
WarpedSpace
Go to Top of Page

gman

USA
320 Posts

Posted - 17 juil. 2003 :  23:19:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have tried adjusting the speeds, but it hasn't made an appreciable difference for me. Routing is still generally bad.
Go to Top of Page

portus

129 Posts

Posted - 18 juil. 2003 :  20:49:02  Show Profile  Visit portus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just found a lack of map data update issue with Tele Atlas map data. Trying to route from my office (in downtown SJ, CA) to a Costco wholesale warehouse in Sunnyvale (150 Lawrence Station Rd, Sunnyvale, CA 94086). TomTom Nav USA incorrectly routed me to 1200 Lawrence Station Rd! I trusted TomTom navigation, only to find out I was directed to a place two miles away from Costco! I thought I was in the back of the ware house or something like that but when I fired up iGuidance I found that I was 2+ miles past Costco! Then I loaded TomTom again to try the route again when I finally figured out what it did! Mapopolis and iGuidance have never fail me in this area. We are talking about a facility that's been there for more than four years at least!

TomTom is also not doing the right thing in this regard. In situations like this, TomTom should have reported destination not found instead of (definitely not a smart idea) routing to a "near-by" address, which depending on the location, could be far away from the intended destination!!! While iGuidance has its own share of routing issues, these two aspects combined (out-dated map data + incorrect routing) makes TomTom less preferable even though its UI and performance is pretty good.

TomTom and Tele Atlas both need to address the issues.

Edited by - portus on 18 juil. 2003 20:51:40
Go to Top of Page

wallstreet123456

388 Posts

Posted - 18 juil. 2003 :  21:59:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is Tele Atlas or TomTom monitoring this thread?
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93943 Posts

Posted - 18 juil. 2003 :  22:36:43  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
One would hope so...I've offered several times to host TomTom USA forums here but can't seem to get a response. Experience tells me they're probably lurking though. gman since you made contact with TeleAtlas, do you want to mail them the link to this thread?

Go to Top of Page

gman

USA
320 Posts

Posted - 18 juil. 2003 :  23:49:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, I believe I included a link to this thread in one of my previous emails to them, so they may already be checking it out. But, I can certainly send them another invitation.

OK...just sent them a formal invite to come on over. We'll see if they bite.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93943 Posts

Posted - 19 juil. 2003 :  13:37:05  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ok, just to continue the tests. I just programmed a pretty difficult route from downtown San Jose (intersection Almaden Blvd/Santa Clara St to San Thomas Xpway/Moorpark in West San Jose) and the road is absolutely perfect (that's the one someone who lives in that area would use) including the nasty cloverleaf mentioned by Portus just above.

Talking about TeleAtlas, the same road with PocketMap Navigator R2.20 was very poor (it shied away from that difficult cloverleaf...) even when forcing the use of 87 with a waypoint...

I'm going to reload build 356 (original release) of TomTom to verify that the Alternate route was spot on (it isn't with 2.22 or 2.24)

PS - Portus (or someone who lives in the South Bay), is there a road called 262 in the Milpitas area now? I've seen TomTom refer to it regularly...

Go to Top of Page

portus

129 Posts

Posted - 19 juil. 2003 :  21:58:05  Show Profile  Visit portus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
gpspassion,

In fact, I was wondering about HW 262, too, when I first saw TomTom referring to it in a route I generated from SJ to Disneyland in Anaheim, CA. Never heard of it but it could be something like CA-82 which is the familiar El Camino Real. Maybe someone else can point out what CA-262 really is?
Go to Top of Page

gman

USA
320 Posts

Posted - 19 juil. 2003 :  23:21:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got a response from Tele Atlas stating that, if given permission (from TomTom), they would be happy to join in our discussions. Also, according to the email, they are checking on the issues we have been sending them and are conveying them to TomTom.

This is positive in at least that it seems Tele Atlas is interested in really investigating the routing issues. Of course that only makes sense when you consider the licensing fees they are getting out of every copy of TomTom USA that is sold.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93943 Posts

Posted - 19 juil. 2003 :  23:46:15  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good news, and yes, everyone has their motivation, nothing wrong with that ;-)

I've given more thought to my perfect route (see above) and realized it gives priority to freeways, which is what's been criticized in other circumstances. Still in this case it works, while another option (PocketMap) doesn't, so it does indicate it's going to be hard to get it right each time!

I think the bottom line is that on average you want routes to be acceptable and not to have too many "abnormal" routes, that's how I've come to judge navigation programs.

Go to Top of Page

qiyang

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 20 juil. 2003 :  17:08:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gpspassion
I think the bottom line is that on average you want routes to be acceptable and not to have too many "abnormal" routes, that's how I've come to judge navigation programs.

I agree. And it would be "perfect" if it also allows you to set route stops to modify an "abnormal" route. In TomTom v2.24, you may mark which section of a route (or a rectangle area) you want to avoid, but you can not do the opposite: set route stops to force the use of a prefered road.
Go to Top of Page

qiyang

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 20 juil. 2003 :  17:37:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Map management in TomTom navigator needs improvement. It is good that it comes with some pre-defined regions suchs as New England, West Coast, middle West, etc. But, when "Adding Maps" from the installer, why it does not allow you to define your own regional map? Can someone in TeleAtlas or TomTom point to us what was hard with doing so?

I am planning a trip to Yellowstone National Park and Salt Lake City. None of the predefined regions in the 5 CDs will cover my route of a few hundred miles.

Please give the ability for routing between maps, or a method for choosing states to make a new map.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93943 Posts

Posted - 20 juil. 2003 :  18:03:35  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's been a major complaint in Europe for the past year. I asked one of the TomTom Europe managers at a tradeshow earlier this year and the answer was that map cutting was (and from memory) "complex and was best done at the top level, i.e. with the raw map data".

Go to Top of Page

lbcynya

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 24 juil. 2003 :  03:53:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On the subject of feedback to Tele atlas, why shouldn't we report our problems to them via the Tom Tom website? If we correspond directly with Tele Atlas, Tom Tom might never see our comments. Right, wrong or indifferent, Tele Atlas is a business and it might be in their best interest (and not ours) to censor our comments. Just trying to insure that everyones efforts are recognized.

Thanks,
Michael
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1,41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05