Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2265

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Software
 PC and MAC GPS Software
 Laptop GPS Software Compared
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

Squaredancer

284 Posts

Posted - 27 juin 2005 :  22:17:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
S & T can also be zoomed about the center point on the screen by using the "scroll wheel" on most mice.
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 27 juin 2005 :  22:57:56  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Explore,

Don't click the "+" or "-", that's really there just for the touch screen users. When using iGuidance on your laptop, pretty much everything can be controlled easily with your keyboard. For example use up / down arrows to zoom in / out. Also check iGkeys: http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26018

I agree with most, if not all, of what you are saying, but the reality of life is that the developers of iGuidance seem to develop the software for the PDA market, and the laptop version is pretty much an identical copy of the PDA version. It would be nice if they could develop the laptop version separately from the PDA version, meaning forget the PDA limitations, let us concentrate on what the laptop platform can really do. But I'm afraid we are viewed as an insignificant minority. Even their website is geared towards advertising to the PPC crowd, and I don't see a single screenshot there of the laptop version.

That is unfortunate because at this moment there is really no other alternative for the Windows platform as far as good navigation software. I don't still consider S&T a navigation product. It is still a trip planning tool. That may change over time as Microsoft adds more GPS functionality.

Marvin Hlavac - Toronto, Canada
Go to Top of Page

SA2

2 Posts

Posted - 29 juin 2005 :  14:13:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've read throught this thread, but I'm wondering if anyone here's got any advice on Laptop GPS Software for Europe (or Scandinavian) use.

As noted in the comparison of the software you mention that you'd wish CoPilot used the same map provider as for the european maps, does that mean that CoPilot is good for use in Europe?

Are there any other good navigation software packages?

-Anders
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 29 juin 2005 :  14:41:53  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Anders,

Welcome to GpsPasSion Forums!

1. Most of (if not all) that was said about Microsoft Streets & Trips 2005 (North American maps) applies to Microsoft AutoRoute 2005 (European Maps).

2. Last time I heard the deadline for iGuidance Europe was the end of this month (June 2005) so we should hear some news from iNav any day now.

3. I personally have not tried CoPilot with European maps, but yes, I do suspect it could be quite good.

4. I have also heard of some users (especially in Europe) enjoying using Destinator on the PC platform. Destinator is not designed to run on Windows operating system, but it is apparently possible to use a PPC emulator to run it. I have not tried it myself because some users say iGuidance creates better routes in North America than Destinator does, but in Europe this is a quite popular solution.

If I had to travel to Europe now I'd use both MS AutoRoute 2005 and the new iGuidance with European maps.

Go to Top of Page

SA2

2 Posts

Posted - 30 juin 2005 :  09:52:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin Hlavac

1. Most of (if not all) that was said about Microsoft Streets & Trips 2005 (North American maps) applies to Microsoft AutoRoute 2005 (European Maps).

Sounds good, although I would (as many have already stated) like voice
instructions... But I'll definantly look into it.

quote:

2. Last time I heard the deadline for iGuidance Europe was the end of this month (June 2005) so we should hear some news from iNav any day now.

That sounds very promising, reading about the iGuidance for North America it sounded just like what I was looking for. I'll keep my eyes peeled.

quote:

3. I personally have not tried CoPilot with European maps, but yes, I do suspect it could be quite good.

Maybe I'll check it out, if I do I'll post my experiences back here.

quote:

4. I have also heard of some users (especially in Europe) enjoying using Destinator on the PC platform. Destinator is not designed to run on Windows operating system, but it is apparently possible to use a PPC emulator to run it. I have not tried it myself because some users say iGuidance creates better routes in North America than Destinator does, but in Europe this is a quite popular solution.

Actually I've just installed a PPC emulator and tried installing Destinator 3, the problem i that on the laptop I'm running it on I've only got one com port and for Activesync to work with the PPC emulator you need atleast 2 com ports.

Maybe I'll try installing it from another PC, don't know If I can just install all the maps one the emulator or if I would need to change maps or create new ones for other regions but hopefully not.

I'll test and post back.

Only problem i that I've not got a GPS unit yet..
I'm trying to figure out If the software is good enough to spend my money on it.

-Anders
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 30 juin 2005 :  11:39:09  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Andres, a GPS receiver which works with one of the above mentioned software products will also work with the others discussed here in this thread. So there is no need to postpone the purchase of it till you decide which software to use ;-)

When you try any of the programs it would certainly be very much appreciated if you could share your experiences.

If you don't succeed with the Destinator idea, let us know. I haven't tried it myself, but there are others who have.

Go to Top of Page

laurentiu_ionita

3 Posts

Posted - 07 juil. 2005 :  20:38:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marvin,

Let me say at first that I am a novice to GPS and I really appreciate the time and effort you put in your review. It has been very helpful. Thank you!
I also live in Toronto and I do travel extensively to the US. Based on your review I intend on purchasing the iGuidance maps and software combined with a GPS locator with the latest technology SiRF III. Any recommendation for the GPS unit?

Here is my question! I intend to use the GPS primarily with my laptop (no Bluetooth) and I would like to use it in the future with my Treo 600. Is there a particular combination that you recommend? I am obviously trying to purchase software that is compatible with my laptop and my Treo 600. Same for the GPS locator.

Thank you,
Laurentiu Ionita
Go to Top of Page

paulkbiba

USA
5064 Posts

Posted - 07 juil. 2005 :  20:49:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You really won't be able to get much use out of your Treo 600. Since the unit does not have an SD card interface there is no way to store the maps you will need. First, the maps are generally too large for storage in main memory, and second, the Palm operating system will not allow them to be placed there, even if they would fit. The have to go on an SD card. That's one reason I got my Treo 650 and happily use it with the Mapopolis NavCard. So concentrate on your laptop for now.

Don't forget the GPSPassion Club!
Go to Top of Page

laurentiu_ionita

3 Posts

Posted - 07 juil. 2005 :  21:07:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Paul,

The Treo 600 has an SD card and I've been reading about Mapopolis but they do not have the Canadian maps. Mapopolis is offering a solution for the Treo 600.
Actually I will purchase Mapopolis for my Treo 600 if I can't find software that will work with both my laptop and my Treo.

Thank you,
Laurentiu
Go to Top of Page

paulkbiba

USA
5064 Posts

Posted - 07 juil. 2005 :  21:26:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There isn't any one software solution, unfortuantely, that will work well on both. iGuidance works on the laptop, but is purely a PPC application with no Palm program. Same with Streets & Trips. Delorme's Street Atlas will run on the laptop and the Palm, but the Palm software is pretty poor.

Of course you are right about the SD card! My brain froze for a moment. I was thinking of Bluetooth. I use my 650 with a Bluetooth receiver and it works like a charm.

Go to Top of Page

laurentiu_ionita

3 Posts

Posted - 07 juil. 2005 :  21:46:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Paul,

Initially I thought that I might have to buy to separate bundles. But here is a quote from Semsons.

http://store.yahoo.com/semsons-inc/is3mogpswiso.html
"The i.Trek S3 Mouse GPS features waterproof casing with magnetic base. It incorporates the latest SiRF Star III GPS chipset and an active patch antenna for the highest degree of GPS accuracy. The PDA connection cable is available for Pocket PC or Palm PDA."

Can I buy only one GPS that will work with both my laptop and my Treo 600 and save on the GPS? And if this is not the right product is there a product that will allow me to do that?

Thank you,
Laurentiu
Go to Top of Page

paulkbiba

USA
5064 Posts

Posted - 07 juil. 2005 :  22:24:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is no difference between a PDA GPS and a laptop GPS, except for the connector. If Semsons has a connector that works with both then that is just great. They are a very reputable firm.

I checked the link and it is a little misleading. First, the software will not work on the Palm, even though they have a drop-down box for Treo. This is just for the connector. The blurb doesn't make clear, unless I missed it, whether the mouse will connect to your laptop without an extra connector. The Treo connector definately will not work with your laptop so you will need two connectors.

Go to Top of Page

ve7mdt

Canada
170 Posts

Posted - 08 août 2005 :  12:02:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First of all, let me say that I am too lazy to read the whole thread, instead just concentrated on the last page (4th), so if I missed anything, am incorrect, or being redundant please forgive me, and point it out if useful.

laurentiu_ionita: Mapopolis does have Canadian maps, I have been using it on my Palm IIIc years ago. However, it might not cover the whole Canada, so check their sites, download their free demo maps, and see if it works. They have same coverage for their Palm or PocketPC products.

Marvin: Destinator 3 can "run" on Windows, but I'm not sure if it can work via an emulator. However, someone wrote a front end app. for the Destinator 3 engine + map. Check this site out: http://www.mapmonkey.net/ . The front end is free, but you do need the Destinator SDK to make it work, and the SDK is not free. I checked quickly the Destinator website, and the cheapest SDK is a trial version for $50. USD. I don't know if it will expire or has any limitation. Read the info on both sites to find out more. I am not sure if there is anything that Destinator 3 has and that iGuidance (etc) doesn't? In other words, is it worth doing via this method? However, it's real.

gpspassion, laurantiu etc: I own a Treo 600 GSM. It does have an SD slot with SDIO feature. It can be used to store maps or even programs. The bottom socket has a serial port, and it can be used for GPS data. You need to buy a cable, or better, a docking unit from Seidio (Semsons sells that IIRC). That's it. However, unless you are a "one gadget person", I wouldn't recommend the Treo 600 for GPS use. I loaded Mapopolis map onto it, and because of the low resolution of 160x160, the map looks very rough, and there is not enough map on the display. The Treo 650 is the preferred unit, however, since Palm platform has only 2 nav packages to choose from (for North America), and PocketPC has probably over 10. It's much preferred to use PocketPC mainly for this purpose. Of course, for die-hard Palm user, this might not be acceptable. Please note that the SDIO feature on the Treo 600 is basically useless, as nobody has released drivers for anything, so do not buy an SDIO based GPS receiver for it!

You can share a GPS with your laptop and your Treo 600. You can make a special cable that taps into the serial data, and make another port. All you need is to tap out Ground (pin 5 on a DB-9 connector), and TXD (from the GPS receiver) (likely pin 2 or 3 depending on which end of the cable). Or you can get a bluetooth card (likely USB, or CF if your laptop doesn't have USB,i.e. very old), and then a GPS receiver which has both serial and Bluetooth (such as Holux GPSSlim236 which I just bought, or the Haicom 303S w/ the Bluetooth slipper, which I just sold to my friend).

I have both S&T 2005 and iGuidance 2.1 (and just got 2.1.1). Both seem good. I'll use iGuidance 2.1 on PocketPC, and then both of them on Windows on notebooks, if my trip requires a bigger real time display map.

Microsoft (OEM) USB GPS, Rand McNally "mouse", Clarion AutoPC GPS + Odessey 2000, Magellan Springboard GPS on Visor 2MB, Haicom 303S + 401BT
Routis 2004, Mapopolis, MapPoint 2004, Delorme Deluxe, AAA Map'n'Go 7, Streets & Trips 2005
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 08 août 2005 :  12:32:26  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey ve7mdt! Welcome back! ;-) I wondered what happened to you since we haven't heard from you in several months ;-) I always enjoy reading your posts.

Yes, the SDK for Destinator does expire (at least it used to). I never tried it; I never really felt the need to since people who have tried it said iGuidance generated better routes. UK users liked it, though, but now with iGuidance Europe being available likely even fewer users will be interested. Yet, still I think Destinator has some map coverage not yet easily fond in other products, for example Israel, and I think I heard some Australian users using this on laptops, too, if memory serves.

Go to Top of Page

Nialag

Canada
47 Posts

Posted - 04 sept. 2005 :  17:26:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Somme one have a opinion or comments on "OnCourse Navigator 5"

Tanks

AL

Alain / Québec, QC.
TripNav USB GPS Receiver TN-200 and Deluo Universal GPS WAAS
Microsoft Streets & Trips 2005 on Laptop
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1,22 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05