Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com
fiogf49gjkf0d

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2802

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Software
 PC and MAC GPS Software
 Laptop GPS Software Compared
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

gpspassion

94651 Posts

Posted - 05 mars 2005 :  20:29:00  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Article on the portal

Questions, comments ?

Ads

autoego

79 Posts

Posted - 09 mars 2005 :  22:50:43  Show Profile  Visit autoego's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Marvin,

I finally found some time to read your dissertation on these three products. It's very good by the way. Too bad there's not one product that has all the pluses from all three. It seems to me that if Microsoft includes voice guidance and rerouting to their next version, the competition is pretty much sunk. It seems this is the only thing left for them to do because as you said, S&T have the best POI, most detailed maps, and very user friendly. By and large I'm not a big MS supporter (they don't need to be dominant at EVERYTHING) so let's hope iguidance 2.1 is a big improvement.

The ROAD ACE 2 -- Dell X50 Haicom 303S GPS, 2 GB SD, Arkon powered cradle, Mapopolis.
Go to Top of Page

zavex

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 09 mars 2005 :  22:58:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the article, it is a good read. I'm curious though, is there a reason that Delorme's Street Atlas product wasn't included in the comparison?
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 10 mars 2005 :  01:51:54  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, S&T can do so many things so very well. Often I ask myself the question what would it take for me to use S&T "for all my needs" (including navigation):

1. S&T would have to have voice prompts exactly the same as iGuidance;
2. Time-To-Destination overlaid on the map, just like iGuidance;
3. 3D-view mode (like iGuidance)

I think these are the most important ones. And by the way, the new iGuidance 2.1 does have Full Canadian coverage that rivals the S&T quality. Things are just getting better and better ;-)

And as for DeLorme Street Atlas, well, one reason is that I'm in Canada and that product only has main roads and highways north of the USA/Canada border. Also I have heard of a lot of old DeLorme fans switching to Microsoft over the last few years.

Marvin Hlavac - Toronto, Canada
Go to Top of Page

Fobe

Belgium
2 Posts

Posted - 15 mars 2005 :  10:18:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I still wonder if it just isn't more wise to use my old(2002) RandMcNally Atlas and a statemap from the local Interstate-give-away (with nearly every other road) in addition and leave my ipaq 4700 home. Microsofts Autoroute is the granny of all this and always had the possibility of putting the road-ahead (laugh)on a PDA. The only bad thing about it, PDA always will have a small screen and the need to be able to overlook a statemap or other paper map. After traveling in Europe and the States on Navigation in-car and on PDA, I still believe you need a dependable homework-made-map unless you love the "unforeseen sattelite out". And if S&M is only 10% better than Autoroute, then it's really good. Mind you, for Europe, just go to Mappy.com and you get the same free, and a possible download for Palm and Microsoft (but I haven't figured out jet where they have put it on my iPaq)
Laptops are great at home and near a hotspot, but darn dangerous in a normal sedan.
So, can anyone tell me how I must organise my next trip to the US from Atlanta to West Yellowstone, avoiding Interstates and big cities ? And use Destinator 3 - with GPS on my iPaq 4700, or just relay on RandMcNally and make the maps at home ? Because MapsGoogle is a bit to-much-Beta and not really dependable.

Fobe
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 15 mars 2005 :  13:50:40  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Fobe,

Welcome to the GpsPasSion Forums !

You wish to travel from Atlanta GA to West Yellowstone, MT? And you wish to avoid Interstates and big cities? I just tried it and first I reached for S&T 05, but while the Route Options settings do allow for selecting likes & dislikes of different road types, and this feature works well for shorter trips, this feature will not really have much effect on the generated route of this length. You could do some more tinkering with Avoid Area tool, but I didn't bother. Instead I tried the same trip with iGuidance 2.1 version. All that needed to be done to avoid interstates was to select "Local" (roads) in routing preferences. A very brief look shows that it (coincidentally) avoids major cities as well. All but one: it still routes you via Nashville. But as I said, I only took one minute for this trip planning ;-)

iGuidance gives you both: Laptop & PocketPC versions for one price. Paper maps are good, but I would not go on a vacation without GPS. Actually, instead of printing or buying paper maps as a backup I’d rather buy a second GPS as a backup ;-)

Go to Top of Page

docarm

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 15 mars 2005 :  18:42:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,
I am new here and intrigued gy the Iguidance software.
I have S&T but am considering switching (I like the voice prompts and other features), but I don't see where POIs show campgrounds.
I plan to use the program in my Truck Camper.
Are campgrounds shown?
what info does it give on them
Thanks

Richard
Arkansas
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 15 mars 2005 :  19:37:29  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You may be able to find some campgrounds listed under Parks/Recreation in iGuidance, but it may not be as easy since there is no specific "Campground" category. But what you could do is to look up your campground in your S&T and then locate the place in iGuidance, and navigate there. For navigation IMHO there is nothing better today for laptops than iGuidance. But I'd recommend you to keep your S&T installed. You may want to use it occasionally for some trip planning features.

Go to Top of Page

paulkbiba

USA
5064 Posts

Posted - 15 mars 2005 :  19:40:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, it doesn't have a seperate listing for campgrounds. They might be included the the "Lodging" category, but there is no way to tell. CoPilot doesn't have a listing for campgrounds, either.

Don't forget the GPSPassion Club!

Edited by - paulkbiba on 15 mars 2005 19:45:12
Go to Top of Page

docarm

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 15 mars 2005 :  20:21:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I appreciate the replies
I guess I may have a problem as we are lighthouse chasers and when we get close to the end of the day it is nice to be able to find campgrounds nearby to where we are. Can do this in S&T.
However, when on our boat I use Maptech for coastal and Capn for rivers so I could keep both S&T and Iguidance running altho I suppose the GPS won't feed both at once will it.

Richard
Arkansas
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 15 mars 2005 :  20:58:34  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, Franson GPS Gate utility software will let several application programs share one GPS receiver.

Go to Top of Page

docarm

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 15 mars 2005 :  21:11:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Marvin
That's good to know.
Where do I find that software?

Richard
Arkansas
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 15 mars 2005 :  21:21:04  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Try it for free... http://franson.com/gpsgate/

Go to Top of Page

docarm

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 29 mars 2005 :  22:24:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marvin
Well I got iGuidance and had difficulty installing it.
The support staff told me to copy the cd directories CD1,CD2 &CD3 to the C:root and then load using map loader and no CDs.
That is how I got the thing to install.
I am also somewhat disappointed in that I cannot seem to view the map of a lager area greater than 50 miles so I can find locations to route to as I do in S&T.
I am still trying it tho.
Also I hope the GPS/Gate will function. I have a serial GPS

Richard
Arkansas
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 30 mars 2005 :  01:07:37  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, iGuidance is a completely different product than S&T, and it has a different feel to it. It'll take you a trip or two, but you will get used to it and you will very likely get to appreciate how iGuidance has been designed.

By the way, to move the map around just click on any empty area on the map and while keeping the right mouse button down move the map around. I don't find the zoom limit an inconvenience. Actually in the 2.0 version it was originally a bit bigger if I recall correctly. And shortly after 2.0 was released we had access to a small downloadable configuration .ini file to improve colors, but the configuration file also added the ability to zoom to 100 miles. It is possible a similar config. file will be released in the future for 2.1 version.

You might have noticed that some things may be done easier on S&T. Keep S&T for that reason. With both iGuidance and S&T your laptop is now an extremely powerful navigation tool which in my humble opinion far outperforms any navigation solution, be it a built-in unit, or a self contained unit, or a PDA based solution.

There are two little add-on applications that may help you with both S&T and iGuidance while driving. First is S&Tkeys and the second is iGkeys. They both give you several useful keyboard shortcuts. Check them out. They are free ;-)

Go to Top of Page

garylm

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 14 avr. 2005 :  21:46:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm wondering how TeleType's product stacks up against iGuidance and Streets & Trips. TeleType is attractive because in addition to autorouting and voice prompts, they have an add-on utility that lets you import your own raster maps. Unfortunately, that import utility costs and additional $169.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2017_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,91 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05