Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2212

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Software
 MS Streets and Trips, AutoRoute, and MapPoint
 Tips & Tricks for MS Streets & Trips / AutoRoute
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 05 janv. 2005 :  14:38:45  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Compiled by GpsPasSion members
Keep good ideas coming

To search this page use Ctrl+F keys on your keyboard

Version 2007 (older versions bellow)

• 1. Start with GPS enabled

• Use the free add-on S&T Keys for Streets & Trips 2007, or AR Keys for AutoRoute 2007 ( click here ).

• 2. Change the Voice

• Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel > Speech > Text To Speech > Voice Selection. Select the voice type that suits you and click “Apply”.

• 4. Safety Warning

• The Safety Warning may be an annoyance, but most navigation software products use it these days. It's considered a safety feature and a legal protection of sort. An easy way to close it is by hitting A-key to Agree to the warning ;-)

• 5. Automatic Re-Routing

• It is now possible to add automatic route recalculation feature into your Streets & Trips 2007 or AutoRoute 2007. Use the free add-on S&T Keys for Streets & Trips 2007, or AR Keys for AutoRoute 2007 ( click here ).

• 6. Compatibility with other GPS receivers

• 1. If you have a GPS receiver that came with any previous version of Microsoft Streets & Trips w/GPS Locator, Microsoft AutoRoute w/GPS Locator, or Microsoft MapPoint w/GPS Locator, the same GPS receiver will work just fine with the current 2007 version. However, if you often experience loss of GPS signal, you may consider upgrading to the new GPS receiver included in the 2007 version. The new GPS unit has much improved sensitivity to the weak GPS signals due to it being is based on the new SiRFstarIII chipset.

• 2. If you have a non-Microsoft GPS receiver, chances are good it will work, too. Microsoft doesn’t use any proprietary protocol to prevent users from using 3rd party GPS receivers (or GPS “locators” as Microsoft calls them). As long as your GPS receiver uses the NMEA standard, it should be compatible. Most receivers on the market today are NMEA compatible.

• 7. Customize how Streets & Trips opens

• You can customize how MS Streets & Trips or MS AutoRoute opens. For example you may prefer that it opens zoomed into a specific map area, shows Route Planner pane, uses larger font size, etc.

1. Create a new map or modify an existing map with the features you'd like to see whenever you open a new map.

2. On the File menu, click Save As.

3. In the Save in box, browse to Program Files\Microsoft Streets & Trips \Templates, and click New North American Map.stt.

4. Click the arrow next to the Save as type box, and then choose Map Template from the list.

5. Click Save

6. When prompted about replacing New North American Map.stt, click Yes.

Your map replaces the Streets & Trips default template.

Save location for MS AutoRoute is Program Files\Microsoft AutoRoute\Templates\New European Map.axt

• 8. Add new hotkeys for GPS navigation

• The tasks which normally require many keystrokes and/or mouse-clicks are now achievable by a press of a single key on your keyboard. Use the free add-on S&T Keys for Streets & Trips 2007, or AR Keys for AutoRoute 2007 ( click here ).

• 9. Cannot find roads of the following types: Crescent, Square, Terrace, Place

• When searching for 123 Paul Street you only need to type 123 Paul. There is no need to specify the road type, e.g. Street, Avenue, Drive, Road, Boulevard, etc. However, when searching for Crescent, Square, Terrace, Place, unless you at least type the first letter of the road type, the program will not locate it. To locate e.g. 123 Guillaume Place, type at least: 123 Guillaume P

• 10. How to search for intersections

• To find an intersection, type two street names, separated by an ampersand (&), in the Street address box. For example, to find an intersection of Yonge Street and Finch Avenue, type Yonge ST & Finch Ave. To do it even simpler, all you need to do is type: yonge&finch.

• 11. Different ways to zoom in or out

• Double-click a name of a place on the map to zoom in on that area.

• Drag your mouse pointer diagonally on the map to select an area. Click inside the selected area to zoom in.

• Use the wheel button to zoom in or out. Roll the wheel button forward to zoom in. Roll the wheel button backward to zoom out. If you need to change the zoom level in smaller increments, first click on the Zoom Slider on the Navigation toolbar, then use the mouse wheel.

To move the map, hold the wheel button down and drag the mouse pointer in the direction you want.

• Use (+) and (-) key to change the zoom level. If you need to change the zoom level in smaller increments, first click on the Zoom Slider on the Navigation toolbar, then use the left or right arrow keys to change the zoom level.

• 12. How to search for highway exit numbers

• To search for highway exits the following should work:

I-80 & 14 (or just: i80&14), but 80 & 14 format will not work

Hwy-400 & 25 (or just: hwy400&25), but 400 & 25 will not work

As always, the correct country needs to be selected in the Find dialog box.

• 13. How to set Night Stops in a long distance trip spanning several days

• If you plan a long distance trip that spans over several days, the program automatically generates "Night Stops" for you. They appear as yellow moons inside blue squares along your route.

Yes, you can "customize" where and when you stop for the night. The initial "Night Stops" are generated based on your time set in: Menu bar > Route > More Options > Profile > End driving at. You may change the Start, End, and Flexibility time values. For maximum flexibility you may want to set the Flexibility value to 2 hours. When you are happy with your settings, follow these steps:

1. Enter all your stops including start and end in the Route Planner

2. In the Route Planner right-click the Stop you want to be the last one for the day, click "Schedule Stop", put checkmark in front of "Stop for", then instead of "Hrs:Mins" select "Nights". Do the same with all Stop locations at which you plan to spend the night

3. Click "Get Directions" to generate your route.

4. If you still see some blue/yellow night-stop icons, you may want to increase the "Flexibility" value or set your Start/End time values to allow for more hours of driving in a day

• 14. Detour around an area

• By drawing Avoid Area rectangles we can modify our route very easily and fast. A task that could quite often take a long time to complete using other software, can be done in the Microsoft program with ease and only in just few seconds. Read more in the middle of page 2

• 15. Driving among tall buildings

• Most GPS receivers these days are not yet sensitive enough to work properly in some environments. You may notice temporary loss of signal when driving in the midst of tall buildings. Or you may have only few satellites in view with very weak signal. Occasionally your position may jump from one street on the map to another street.

In such situations I find it very helpful to disable "Rotate map to follow travel direction" feature, and just view the map the "normal way", which is: "north-up".

There is now a one-click solution to switch to the "North-up" mode and back. Use the free add-on S&T Keys for Streets & Trips 2007, or AR Keys for AutoRoute 2007 ( click here ).

• 16. Share one GPS between several applications

• GpsGate lets you share one GPS receiver between several applications. If you would like to run more then one GPS program simultaneously, this little utility software will make it possible for you without having to buy another GPS receiver. You may even open for example Streets & Trips twice on your desktop and watch your position on two maps in different zoom levels. You may set one instance of the program to rotate map in the direction of travel and the second instance may display the map north-up. Read more here There is also a free alternative to GPS Gate. Read about it here.

• 17. Map errors and what to do with them

• While we cannot edit the underlying map properties, we may let the map makers know about the errors we find. There is more than one way to do that. Read about it here

• 18. How to fine-tune ETA (Estimated Time of Arrival)

• I noticed that the default settings in the versions 2005 and newer all generate a bit too optimistic ETA. You may change Speed settings in Menu bar > Route > More Options > Driving Speeds. To find out what the Slower, Average, Faster, and all the settings in-between mean read more in the middle of page 2

• 19. Garmin USB GPS receivers & how to use them

• If you cannot get your Garmin USB GPS receiver working with your Microsoft program, it may be because your Garmin likely doesn’t use NMEA protocol. Now there may be a solution: click here

• 20. Construction Update feature not working

• If the built-in feature doesn't work for some reason, you may still update construction information manually. Follow the instructions outlined >>here<<

• 21. My computer thinks my GPS receiver is a mouse

• If your Windows 2000 computer recognizes your USB GPS receiver as a computer mouse you may need to unplug the GPS device from the USB port during boot-up and only re-insert after boot-up is completed.

• 22. Export to other formats (Garmin, Excel, etc)

• Yes, it is possible to export pushpins from MS Streets & Trips and from MS AutoRoute, into other formats. Check the following three links: one, two, three

• 23. Why are house numbers sometimes located far from their actual position?

• In applications based on map data provided by NavTeq you may notice that streets usually end with numbers 99. For example if the highest number on your street is 12345, maps based on NavTeq data will likely allow you to search the street up to the number of 12399. Some non NavTeq software products try to use actual street number ranges, but in my experience that is a much worse alternative as often times I have been unable to successfully search for a street number which did exist, but was not in the map because the street number might have belonged to a newer building. A NavTeq solution does allow for a new house to be built at the end of a street tomorrow, and still be searchable with a map product purchased yesterday. The only disadvantage (not really a big one, though) is that accuracy at the end of a street may be affected. You may notice this if you live at a very short street which has only a handful of houses on it and numbers really range only from e.g. 1 to 20. If your house is e.g. #20, the map will not show your house as being at the very end of your street because the very end is reserved for number 99. Not a perfect solution, but it is the best there is today in comparison to other alternatives ;-)

• 24. How to plan a group bicycle ride or a walk-a-thon, etc

• A bicycle ride director shares his tips on using Microsoft Streets & Trips to do his job. Follow this link: >click<

• 25. Print large maps

• The following link has information for people who need to capture and/or print large maps from MS Streets & Trips, MS AutoRoute, and MS MapPoint: >click here<

• 26. Solution for GPS receivers not supporting 4,800 baud rate

• If your GPS receiver does not communicate at 4800 bps baud rate, MS Streets & Trips will give you the following error message: "The GPS receiver is sending messages, but they are not being recognized as NMEA 2.0-compatible. Make sure the GPS receiver input/output format is set to deliver NMEA 2.0-compatible messages at the correct baud (4800 bps)."
    GPS Gate solves this problem. Read more here: >>click<<

• 27. RV and Truck Routing

• Now that the two leading map data providers, Navteq and TeleAtlas, are starting to offer truck routing database, my guess would be that a few years from now we will see several GPS navigation solutions for drivers of large vehicles. In the mean time Discovery Owners Association comes to the rescue of MS Streets & Trips users by offering downloadable database of their own. Link and more info is >here<

• 28. Open a computer folder from a pushpin

• Pushpin balloons can contain links to folders, not just links to files or websites. Read more here

• 29. Apple Mac computer compatibility

• There are several ways to do it, but the most convenient seems to be the one described here »

Version 2006 (older versions bellow)

• 30. I hear no voice

• It is possible that you have accidentally turned voice off and it is difficult to tell just by glancing if the mute button reads “Turn Voice Off” or “Turn Voice On”. Actually if your monitor is set to 600 x 800 screen resolution you likely don’t even see the mute button in the GPS Task pane.

Make sure voice is not turned off. Hit F7-key to turn voice on/off

• 31. How to estimate time of arrival while driving

• Whenever you need to know your ETA just hit F3-key on your keyboard to refresh distance-to-destination and time-to-destination info in Directions pane. See it on this picture

• 32. Night color scheme alternatives

• The 2006 introduced a new color scheme designed for driving at night. If you don’t like the dark green / light green color scheme, then you may consider the following two alternatives:

• Free software called “DarkAdapted” lets us change gamma settings of our screen just by a quick keyboard shortcut. Thus, we may in effect very conveniently change the brightness of our computer monitor from full to say 15%. Use the hotkey again to switch back to full brightness. See this demonstration picture. Free download and more info here: http://www.adpartnership.net/DarkAdapted/index.html

• Another solution may be to set the map background to a darker color by using the built-in drawing tools. Follow these steps:

• Zoom out to see your route or even the whole world

• Select Rectangle tool on the Drawing toolbar

• Click and drag a rectangle on the map to cover an area larger than your route (you may even cover the whole world)

• Click on the arrow beside Fill Color tool on the Drawing toolbar and select your desired color for your night view scheme (grey, blue, brown are nice choices)

• Right-click the rectangle and select Order > Send Behind Roads see this screenshot

Version 2005 (older versions bellow)

• 33. Voice Driving Instructions

• Are you interested to add Voice Driving Instructions functionality to your MS Streets & Trips 2005 or MS AutoRoute 2005? Read more on page 2

• 34. Force the program into full screen mode

• FullScreen by Fanix is a little utility program that lets users "force" any software into full screen mode. Check it out: http://www.fanix.com/fullscreen.html

Version 2004 (older versions bellow)

• 35. Set Canada as the default country of the Find feature

• If you wish the default country setting of the Find feature to be Canada rather than United States, you may need to change the default language settings of your Windows operating system:

Microsoft Windows XP > Start > Settings > Control Panel > Regional and Language Options icon > set your location to Canada and language settings to either English (Canada) or French (Canada) > click OK

Microsoft Windows 2000 > Start > Settings > Control Panel > Regional Options icon > General tab > in the “Your locale (location)” list, select either English (Canada) or French (Canada) > click OK

Microsoft Windows 95/98/ME > Start > Settings > Control Panel > Regional Settings icon > Regional Settings tab > In the Language list, select English. In the Country/Region list select Canada > Click OK > restart computer

Versions 2003, 2002, 2001

• 36. Increase the GPS update speed

• GPS refreshes only once every 15 seconds in the 2001, 2002, and 2003 versions of MS Streets & Trips and MS AutoRoute. You really should update to a newer version, but if for some reason you still have a need to use one of these very old versions and wish to increase GPS refresh rate to as much as 1 time per second then visit http://gpssoft.homestead.com where The GPS Soft Team still provides their famous 5-4-3-2-1 Second Patches

Do you have a helpful tip?
Please, share it with us.

Edited by - Marvin Hlavac on 05 janv. 2007 00:59:53

Ads

xcanuk

Canada
77 Posts

Posted - 05 janv. 2005 :  23:30:23  Show Profile  Visit xcanuk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Without the GPS Pane running (more map space) I found it quick to recalculate a new route by dragging and dropping the existing route to my new location. (Got pushed off the main highway due to an ice storm this past week-end)
Go to Top of Page

ve7mdt

Canada
170 Posts

Posted - 08 janv. 2005 :  12:20:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marvin, your mentioning of my name made me blush. I am not really as "extensive" as you thought, although I bought my first Microsoft bundle since Streets98 and Trips98 (2 diff. boxes, but stuck together at a discounted price!!).

Apparantly this tips and tricks thread has become tips on driving on icy roads? We in Vancouver (BC) has just got some snow (finally) this winter, and I just got back home from some fairly slippery road!!

Back to tips and tricks, well, let me see if I can put up some (incomplete) info, and hopefully others can fill in the rest (as it's late and I don't have time to search for all the details, so this just comes from memory). And if Marvin can make this into an FAQ in the future, it'll be great (better).

1. Streets & Trips 2005 map data can be imported into MapPoint 2004 software, and instant MapPoint 2005* ;-) . It's a matter of copying the directory over. Now I have a thought to save some HDD space, if there is a way to share that directory with BOTH programs! (I will try but haven't and don't know if there is any side effect (such as same name files being used and got side effects if one program writes / updates something there etc, but if it's strictly a static directory then we're fine.).)

2. MapPoint 2004 (and even earlier ones) can use a plug-in called AGPS, a shareware, to give a GPS pane, and a synthesized speech, breadcrumb tracks etc. (while Streets and Trips cannot add any plug-ins).

3. For amateur radio operators who are interested in APRS (Automatic Position Reporting System), a plug-in called APRSPoint (shareware?) is very neat.

4. There is also a plug-in (or linked software) that can do "war driving" that plots on MapPoint (I forgot the name now).

5. Previous Streets and Trips have been very unstable. It is also nasty if you have Delorme products installed, and it might refuse to run or run into problems w/ the "GPS" (while it shouldn't). Nasty.

6. If you have small display size, and street names etc are hard to read, you can adjust the font size (while some other similar software don't allow that).

7. Don't completely write off Pocket Streets even though it's too spartan. Microsoft's POI database is still one of the most complete, and can be valuable if you want to compliment it with your other nav package , for example, while doing a walking tour in a downtown situation, with only a PDA (PocketPC platform only) and a GPS unit, and a notebook is too awkward to walk along with! A downloaded map of the area from S&T / MP will give you more POIs than other nav packages, so you have more to search with.

8. The minimum requirement of a MapPoint 200x is always Windows 2000, so Win 9x doesn't do. Because of the minimum requirement of W2K is 32MB of RAM, older notebooks won't do, and that's a pity. (Forgot off my head what the S&T 2005 requirement is). We have run MapPoint 2004 on a Libretto 50CT (Toshiba) with 32MB of RAM (circa 1997) running W2K Pro, with some OS trimming done (you need to know what you are doing first). It runs, but very marginal.

9. My friend said that Streets and Trips 2004 can re-route with a mouse click and drag (a la rubber band) a route to a new point of Enroute. He said the 2005 one doesn't work like that anymore.

10. Another friend reported that older versions (2003 or 2002) S&T can use some Function keys (like F10 etc) to do certain things like zoom etc, and he commented that since 2004 they don't work anymore (no report on 2005 as he hasn't got that version yet).

Sorry this is a quick and dirty list from the top of my head, I can see if I can find out more.

Last tip: for older S&T and MP versions (pre 2004), the GPS updates can be hacked to any update period you want by changing a value in the streets.exe file. The original 15 seconds update time was horrible and we didn't know about the hack for over a year until one day I found it on the Internet. There was some controversy about the release of such at one time (Microsoft wasn't happy), and so the ready to use hack was not that easy to find. But this is mostly history as new versions are all real time as of 2004.

My reason of my interest for Microsoft nav is only because there is no others that have as complete as map coverage for Canada as Microsoft, as far as I have found (for street driving use).

Last last tip: For MapPoint, you can have a dynamic link from Outlook such that when you have a contact with an address, a small map will show up inside Outlook, and you can even click to launch MapPoint from there. You need one of the newer Outlook to do that.

There is a MapPoint website out there, mostly for developers and GSI type of users. They often have some insider news about MapPoint stuff there.

Microsoft (OEM) USB GPS
Rand McNally "mouse"
Clarion AutoPC GPS Odessey 2000
Magellan Springboard GPS on Visor 2MB
Haicom 303S + 401BT Bluetooth + Toshiba e830
Sotec 3120X, SonicBlue Progear 1050SE tablet
Mainly using: Routis 2004, Mapopolis, MapPoint 2004, Delorme Deluxe, AAA Map'n'Go 7, Streets & Trips 2005
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 08 janv. 2005 :  18:20:21  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
VE7MDT, after having used S&T since even before it was named S&T, I’d say you know a thing or two about the software ;-) And in addition to using S&T you also use MapPoint and Pocket Streets, so you know the whole line of Microsoft products related to this segment of GpsPasSion.com Forums.

Thanks for bringing us back on topic, we got carried away a bit ;-)

Yes, let’s first just put some brief ideas into this thread, just like you did and Xcanuk, and later we can format it. S&T doesn’t come with a manual, so this may serve as one, at least for the purpose of navigation. S&T can be used for a lot of other tasks besides navigation, but for starters we may concentrate on navigation.

Marvin Hlavac - Toronto, Canada
Go to Top of Page

xcanuk

Canada
77 Posts

Posted - 08 janv. 2005 :  18:50:08  Show Profile  Visit xcanuk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
anyone else want to verify ve7mdt's point 9, basically that is my tip (if I understand right) and it still works for me with 2005.
The only consideration is I had mouse the route further down my of my current location or else it would suggest a u-turn and re-enter the main highway at the same exit that was closed. (make sense?)
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 08 janv. 2005 :  22:35:23  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Xcanuk, do you click & drag the Start [green square] of your route to your current location or any point along the route? My guess would be that you have to use the Start point for that. If that is the case you likely in many instances need to first zoom out to reach the green square, don't you? Still, it may be very useful of a trick for a setup like yours. Users who have access to their keyboards may use Ctrl+A shortcut to open GPS Pane and use the Recalculate button.

Go to Top of Page

ve7mdt

Canada
170 Posts

Posted - 08 janv. 2005 :  23:28:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have tried many of these software but I do not know them as detailed as some of you do. I have too many different software and not enough trips for me to test them out in details, and I'm too lazy to try things out on "normal days". It's just me with too many distractions.

Some of the software I bought, I rarely even tried or used: such as National Geographics series (don't even buy it, I bought it b/c of its claim of parks info, and it turned out to be only very large National Parks etc). So I have lots of collection, but yet not expert in any of them. I used to use Delorme's products quite a bit (mostly going to the US, since their Canadian maps is just useless), so I'm a bit more familiar with Delorme than others over time.

I am hoping the next MapPoint will have direction / course up (rotating map) feature, that'd be great.

On some of my trips these days, if maps are available, I'm just going to use my PDA running Routis 2004 (or Mapopolis as a backup), for example, going to Whistler (from Vancouver) this past Christmas (it's not like I'll get lost going to Whistler, but getting lost around the Whistler Village area, haha). It did help me to find my car after I showed my PDA map to a staff at Blenz Coffee and finally know where to walk back to my car (the last recorded position stayed on the Routis display).

Earlier S&T requires an installation of a virtual "GPS Device" in the Device Manager, and that thing is nothing but trouble (that series of S&T). I don't know why they define one more layer, and then screw it up in the process.

One big difference for Microsoft (not surprisingly though if you know MS)'s nav software is that you cannot but install the whole map database, unless you want to put the CD in everytime. This is no longer a problem as storage is getting bigger and cheaper, but in earlier time, most older notebooks have to be upgraded to larger HDD before it will run it (at the time some friends only had 486 notebooks or some friends are reluctant to put their main/expensive notebook in their cars for fear of theft etc in a trip etc).

Will be back for more tips if I remember more.

Microsoft (OEM) USB GPS
Rand McNally "mouse"
Mainly using: Routis 2004, Mapopolis, MapPoint 2004, Delorme Deluxe, AAA Map'n'Go 7, Streets & Trips 2005
Go to Top of Page

xcanuk

Canada
77 Posts

Posted - 09 janv. 2005 :  03:45:55  Show Profile  Visit xcanuk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin Hlavac

Xcanuk, do you click & drag the Start [green square] of your route to your current location or any point along the route? My guess would be that you have to use the Start point for that.

I do not touch any of my anchor points (start, stop, end) My map is on mid to max zoom, I grab whatever section on my green route that I can see and drag/drop it to my current location. It recalculates that mid section of my route. (It does create a new stop point though)

I also find this tip useful when talking to friends out of town. S&T might suggest a route, friends suggest a faster local alternative, I drag/drop to their alternative and S&T resets my route.
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 09 janv. 2005 :  04:06:19  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Likely MP 06 will include the new GPS related features of the new S&T 05. But if next year MS introduces voice, which now seems to be the most requested feature (actually now some people buy S&T and after their "surprise" that there is no voice, they return it) there is no longer going to be too many reasons for us to get MP because S&T will do it all. Unless there is going to be some new add-on or AGPS adds new interesting features.

In the past my main reason for getting MP + AGPS was the inability of S&T to keep the car icon in one place. That no longer is a big issue. But if MS doesn't introduce voice next year, MP 06 (with new GPS functions) will still be interesting because AGPS will still give us the option to use our own WAV files. VE7MDT, have you used that feature of AGPS? I used the following WAV files I created for turn left, turn right... I had several others, too. I know you can appreciate that as you very likely know your Morse code very well ;-)

Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 09 janv. 2005 :  04:15:35  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Xcanuk I got it now. I was thinking of something else. Since S&T doesn't yet display ETA information I use "Recalculate" feature not just to create new route but often I use it to know time-to-destination, which you can see in "Directions" pane after hitting "Recalc."

Go to Top of Page

xcanuk

Canada
77 Posts

Posted - 09 janv. 2005 :  17:46:45  Show Profile  Visit xcanuk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The only problem I find with the "recalculate" feature is if you current location is too close to the main highway, it will backtrack you to get on the highway you just left. Granted my case was rare with the closure, but the drag/drop to a point further down of my current position kept me on the secondary highway longer until another entrance was available. (I actually had to do this twice since the highway was still closed at the next entrance) It also redoes the directions, so its the same in that respect.
Go to Top of Page

xcanuk

Canada
77 Posts

Posted - 11 janv. 2005 :  04:54:12  Show Profile  Visit xcanuk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Minor tip #2
Since I take many road trips, but don't follow a schedule, I set my depature time at Midnight. The route generated is now in a time spent format.. 1 AM = 1 hour on the road. I find it a little quicker, now if I could remember what time I left ;)
Go to Top of Page

ve7mdt

Canada
170 Posts

Posted - 11 janv. 2005 :  06:54:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't really played with replacing the WAV files. I am embarassed to say that although I am quite a seasoned amateur radio operator, that I do not know my Morse Code well (nor have I taken that test). I have been procrastinated about this, and now it's likely to be dropped as a requirment for HF very soon now. I should know it , nonetheless, though, to feel complete, I guess.

Indeed it can be useful in a noisy environment, compared to speech.

Microsoft (OEM) USB GPS
Rand McNally "mouse"
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 14 janv. 2005 :  01:37:15  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
...and just to add to the ideas about "SAVE" function:

If a "Save as Web Page" method is used, users may specify the size of the resulting image. The maximum allowable size is 3,500 pixels x 3,500 pixels. That is quite a decent size, so if someone wishes to print larger maps, this may be something to keep in mind.

Edited by - Marvin Hlavac on 22 janv. 2005 23:49:30
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 14 janv. 2005 :  13:42:30  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Click to enlarge

I'm still playing with the excellent idea by SlotCAR. Now I set the background color to "Blue Gray", so the POI names are readable. They blended with the blue background I tried yesterday. Also now I set my font to the largest... It looks quite comfortable for night driving now.

Go to Top of Page

xcanuk

Canada
77 Posts

Posted - 15 janv. 2005 :  00:06:40  Show Profile  Visit xcanuk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've been doing the same and just wondering if there was any way to change the default font color as well?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1,39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05