Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2243

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Software
 PDA and Smartphone Road Navigation Software
 What Software To Buy ?
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 19

gpspassion

93962 Posts

Posted - 18 sept. 2004 :  10:38:44  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forums!
It depends, on both counts! Each piece can be purchased separately and some editors offer bundles and some resellers do that too. What did you have in mind?

jomni

18 Posts

Posted - 28 oct. 2004 :  03:23:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does the PDA software affect the time to first fix? Or is it all hardware related. Which one is fast? I'm currently using GPS Tuner and I find is easy to use and versatile. I'm having trouble getting a first fix since I know that my CF reciever is an old model. I just want to know if it can be imporved by the software.
Go to Top of Page

paulkbiba

USA
5064 Posts

Posted - 15 déc. 2004 :  14:57:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jomni: No, getting a fix is purely a hardware question and the software will have no effect on it.

325xi: I'm afraid that you are confused on this issue. Mapopolis works fine with any SiRF receiver. As a matter of fact, almost all commercial receivers available to the consumer use on the SiRF chipset.

Don't forget the GPSPassion Club!
Go to Top of Page

paulkbiba

USA
5064 Posts

Posted - 15 déc. 2004 :  15:00:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
jomni: Getting a fix is purely a hardware issue and is not affected by the software you use.

325xi: Mapopolis works just fine with SiRF receivers. As a matter of fact, almost every commercial gps receiver available to the consumer is now using the SiRF chipset.

Go to Top of Page

325xi

Canada
41 Posts

Posted - 15 déc. 2004 :  15:43:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
paulkbiba: I emailed them and was answered that they don't plan to support SiRF, as any other proprietary technology, but relay on NMEA as an open standard... For me it was a huge disappointment!

Edited by - 325xi on 15 déc. 2004 15:48:53
Go to Top of Page

paulkbiba

USA
5064 Posts

Posted - 15 déc. 2004 :  16:10:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OH, you mean the native language, not the chipset. For education, why would you want to use the SiRF data stream?

Go to Top of Page

paulkbiba

USA
5064 Posts

Posted - 15 déc. 2004 :  16:14:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see, you meant the data language, not the chipset. Why do you want to use it?

Go to Top of Page

325xi

Canada
41 Posts

Posted - 15 déc. 2004 :  16:21:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I happened to have GPS receiver that outputs only SiRF 38400 data stream. Works perfect with Destinator, which supports both NMEA and SiRF.
Go to Top of Page

jamahale

2 Posts

Posted - 16 déc. 2004 :  17:24:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am looking for a cheap way to enter the GPS world. Can anyone fill me in on the pros or cons on the Garmin GPS 18 PC Deluxe vs Microsoft Streets & Trips. I am looking to use my laptop and would like to have voice directions (since it will be easier than having wife read map as long as it is not too expensive). If all goes well I will be purchasing a more compact system but am looking for some GPS expertise.
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 16 déc. 2004 :  21:53:52  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Jamahale,

But the cheapest solution would really be just to let your wife read the map

Somehow your posting ended up in two places ;-) http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19781

---
Regards,
Marvin Hlavac
Toronto, Canada
Go to Top of Page

deichenlaub

USA
127 Posts

Posted - 17 déc. 2004 :  03:06:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"the cheapest solution would really be just to let your wife read the map"

-Funny you said this. My GPS is the first Tech toy my wife liles -- because she no longer has to read the map!

Dell Axim / Mapopolis / Holux CF GPS
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 17 déc. 2004 :  03:16:22  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mine, too. I gave her TTG recently and it already helped her on several occasions from being lost. GPS will sell well this Christmas season.

---
Regards,
Marvin Hlavac
Toronto, Canada
Go to Top of Page

Sprinter

Canada
50 Posts

Posted - 17 déc. 2004 :  21:35:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jamahale,
I find toting a laptop on the road isn't very practical although I'm not sure how popular this is. Most people use their PDAs or a proprietary GPS device. I've tried both and found the PDA is best for my needs since I use it for other purposes.

Sprinter
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 18 déc. 2004 :  23:03:49  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sprinter - that is true. A PDA or a self contained GPS unit is likely more convenient and appropriate solution for most users. However, in some situations when user needs a more feature rich software, or if one drives for a living or spends many hours in his/her car, it may be more appropriate to have a built-in computer system or a laptop available. A solution like that may also be used for tasks other than navigation. I use my WindowsXP mobile system for doing my bookkeeping, Internet access, entertainment, etc.

---
Regards,
Marvin Hlavac
Toronto, Canada
Go to Top of Page

Ric_N

Canada
23 Posts

Posted - 23 déc. 2004 :  00:19:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
jamahale wrote:
quote:
Can anyone fill me in on the pros or cons on the Garmin GPS 18 PC Deluxe vs Microsoft Streets & Trips.

Using the Garmin GPS 18 PC, you will get voice prompts, Automatic off-route notification and recalculation, trip odometers, automatic zoom of next turn, night view and a few other nice goodies to drive with. I will admit the Streets and Trips is much nicer to look at during the day and a great tool to use when stopped, I prefer nRoute while driving.

nRoute (the software that comes with the GPS 18) does a good job of routing depending where you live. The map quaility for some areas dramaticly affects it's routing ability, and in some areas I have turned it off because the constant and incorrect re-routing notifications were getting on my nerves. At which point I closed nRoute and started S&T. To be fair, Streets and Trips isn't perfect either.

Be aware that if you get the "right" version of the GPS 18, it will support both output formats; Garmin and NMEA. The "wrong" version only supports the Garmin format. The nRoute software only works with the Garmin data format, and Streets and Trips only supports NMEA. Point being, S&T is very cheap and if you have the right GPS 18 you can get both! It is slightly challenging to switch between data formats, but can be handy when the map quailty in an area is lacking.

And yes there are some of us who like driving with a laptop. For those long trips, it really is worth seting it up. The laptop has way better audio output than most PDA's, and you really can't beat the LARGE display.

Ric

Edited by - Ric_N on 23 déc. 2004 00:23:44
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 19 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1,58 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05