Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2402

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Software
 PDA and Smartphone Road Navigation Software
 What Software To Buy ?
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

csoos

Hungary
4 Posts

Posted - 04 août 2005 :  13:37:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,
I am new on this forum, and I was looking for the right thread to post my question. I hope it is OK here.
I have bought a MEDION PNA 240, which is sold with Navigon and some maps. Unfortunately, there is no map for Hungary. Could anyone tell me if there is any navigation software that runs on the Medion PNA 240 and has maps for Hungary ? Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

Frosty Vibe

Canada
167 Posts

Posted - 04 août 2005 :  20:23:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IMHO, iG is slow in comparison to Mapoplis which is well-known for no-friil-lean maps.

Right now, I have 3 provinces ( BC , AB , SK ) loaded in my SD card and as soon as I zoom to out to 1km level, it becomes quite laboured to move around the map ( ie. viewing route ), the delay would be approx 2 secs.

In all fairness though, when you're on the road the actual navigation is just fine, except for route recalculation.

iPAQ 2210 + LeadTek 9537 BT GPS + RiData 66X 512mb SD + SanDisk 128mb CF + Mapopolis 4.33 +iGuidance V2.1.1
Go to Top of Page

Squaredancer

284 Posts

Posted - 04 août 2005 :  20:50:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know that OCN5+Europe had maps of Hungary, but I don't know if it works with your MEDION PNA 240. It would require 930 MB to fit the portion of Europe that includes Hungary on your PDA. If you can add an SD or CF card, it would probably work.
Go to Top of Page

csoos

Hungary
4 Posts

Posted - 04 août 2005 :  22:27:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Squaredancer, thank you for this hint. The OCN5 looks nice. I have the feeling, it has the same roots as the Navigon. According to the information I found on their site, it is compatible with the Medion PNA100, but the compatibility list is not updated with the latest Medion products, like mine. The SD card is not an issue, as it is required in any case.
Go to Top of Page

paulkbiba

USA
5064 Posts

Posted - 04 août 2005 :  22:38:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OCN5 is Navigon, except it has been customized for the US market and US maps.

Don't forget the GPSPassion Club!
Go to Top of Page

csoos

Hungary
4 Posts

Posted - 04 août 2005 :  23:00:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It might be customized for the US, but the Eu map support is impressive too. I wish I knew that my Medion works with it... Anyway, I will send them an e-mail and ask them.
Go to Top of Page

paulkbiba

USA
5064 Posts

Posted - 04 août 2005 :  23:01:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please let us know their response.

Go to Top of Page

csoos

Hungary
4 Posts

Posted - 05 août 2005 :  00:16:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paulkbiba

Please let us know their response.

Dear Valued Customer,
Unfortunately our software only runs on Windows Mobile 2003 / Pocket PC
It does not run on the Medion MDPNA 240, which is running on WinCE.NET OS.
If you have any other questions or concerns please feel free to contact us
via email and we will gladly assist you.

well, too bad for me :(

Go to Top of Page

hazcaddy

Canada
43 Posts

Posted - 07 août 2005 :  03:54:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I notice that the latest issue of Pocket PC magazine's Tips page recommends for GPS the following three: Teletype GPS, Pharos' Ostia, and ALK's CoPilot Live.

I also happened to notice that these 3 were advertizing in the magazine, while TomTom and OCN were not.

Any comments as to the quality of their recommendations?
Go to Top of Page

Squaredancer

284 Posts

Posted - 07 août 2005 :  04:23:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm surprised. I've never used any of them. Seems to me if they were popular, you would find them mentioned on the website. The only one I've really seen here is CoPilot Live. Personal opinion would be both OCN and IG2 would be better than Teletype or Ostia.
Go to Top of Page

paulkbiba

USA
5064 Posts

Posted - 07 août 2005 :  05:08:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've used them all and I won't speculate on the reasons that the magazine recommended them, but, except for CoPilot, clearly the "tips" are made by someone who doesn't know what they are talking about. Ostia is a primitive program that is at least a generation behind what is available from OCN or others. Teletype has its own set of problems and again isn't in the same league. CoPilot, on the other hand, is a first rate program that can compete with anyone out there. Leads you to wonder about things, doesn't it?

Go to Top of Page

Squaredancer

284 Posts

Posted - 07 août 2005 :  06:06:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
paulkbiba,
Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

forestman

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 10 août 2005 :  17:23:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure if this is the best place, but anyhow.

I currently based in the USA, but am returning to the UK in October & want to set up my Axim X50V to be used as a GPS navigation system for my car.

What software would people recommend. I have heard of tomtom, but also quit elike the idea of a combined system of GPS receiver, car mount & software that arkon offer.

Any help would be appreciated.

I assume anything I buy in the US will work in the Uk?
Go to Top of Page

paulkbiba

USA
5064 Posts

Posted - 10 août 2005 :  17:27:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The hardware will certainly work anywhere in the world (just beware of voltage differences for things like battery chargers). As to software, it would be best for a Eurpoean to answer that question :-)

Go to Top of Page

forestman

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 10 août 2005 :  20:48:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks.

In-car systems charge from car cigarette lighter sockets - they are 12V whether in the US or UK?
Go to Top of Page

paulkbiba

USA
5064 Posts

Posted - 10 août 2005 :  21:41:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
12V in both

Go to Top of Page

admin_0

1 Posts

Posted - 14 août 2005 :  00:38:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am new to the forum and have just moved to Hawaii, where I will be for at least 3 years. I have decided to buy a GlobalDat BT-338 with the Arkon CM700 mount. I am looking for suggestions on software that will work in Hawaii (Oahu/Honolulu). Any suggestions or insights/experience would be much appreciated.

Rich
Go to Top of Page

hazcaddy

Canada
43 Posts

Posted - 14 août 2005 :  01:23:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, one more question before I buy.

I do a lot of travelling by plane to an internatioanl airport in the US, then renting a car to drive to my destination. Which software does NOT allow me to use "where I am right now" as a start point?

Often, I would have no idea what the street address is of where I am starting my journey, but I do want the software to get me from where I'm at to where I need to be.
Go to Top of Page

paulkbiba

USA
5064 Posts

Posted - 14 août 2005 :  01:29:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Every program I have used allows "where I am right now" as a start point.

Go to Top of Page

Squaredancer

284 Posts

Posted - 14 août 2005 :  01:33:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You do not have to set any starting position with GPS software, unless you are trying to plan a route. When you turn your GPS receiver on, and start your software, the software will show you where you are. You only have to select you destination and hit the navigate button.
Go to Top of Page

paulkbiba

USA
5064 Posts

Posted - 14 août 2005 :  02:03:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Squaredancer: technically that is not correct. Several programs require that you hit a "use current location" dialog, or something similar, to set the first step of the route.

Go to Top of Page

Squaredancer

284 Posts

Posted - 14 août 2005 :  03:19:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OOPS!!!- Sorry
Go to Top of Page

hazcaddy

Canada
43 Posts

Posted - 16 août 2005 :  15:53:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I've been done gone ordered my software (OCN5). Now a related question.

In the Hardware forum there was a topic "SD Card Speed - Does It Matter" which never got to an answer.

As one who now has to get a 2GB card, there's big price differences. I am intending to put the program as well as the maps on the SD card, so does speed matter?

I'm looking at a SanDisk "regular", Sandisk Ultra II, or the new blazing-fast Kingston card. Big difference in price: is it worth it? BTW my iPAQ is a hx2410.
Go to Top of Page

paulkbiba

USA
5064 Posts

Posted - 16 août 2005 :  16:37:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ONN5 is very sensitive to the speed of the SD card. I would get the fastest card that you can afford. It will make a big difference in how fast the program operates.

Go to Top of Page

Steve672

102 Posts

Posted - 06 sept. 2005 :  19:03:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am wondering if the way you format your card will also make a difference to the reading and writing speeds.

Steve
Go to Top of Page

hazcaddy

Canada
43 Posts

Posted - 16 sept. 2005 :  19:51:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have just checked with HP re the data transfer rate of an iPAQ hx2410 to an SD card (after all, why gat a 150x card if the PDA can't work at that speed).

Their answer shocked me: they said my iPAQ's maximum data transfer rate is 2.5 Mb per second. It think that translates into a low-speed card capability, and buying a 133X SD card would be a waste of money.

Can anyone confirm my suspicion? And has anybody with an hx2410 encountered these ridiculously slow speeds?
Go to Top of Page

TH_Overkill

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 27 sept. 2005 :  17:32:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to be a cheeky git! but can anyone that's been following this post please sum it up, i've not got time to read all 12 pages

I'm looking a very good PDA navigation software with full postcode search.

Thanks

Help!
Go to Top of Page

ssc

2 Posts

Posted - 02 oct. 2005 :  04:22:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear GPS Gurus,
I am in the market for a GPS solution. It is for my wife, a very smart, yet, navigationally-challenged person.
I have bought the Dell X50V (624MHz) as the first step. After browsing through forums in the GpsPasSion, I think I will go with either GR-236 or BT-338 as the receiver.
I, however, can not quite make up my mind on the software. We have tried Pocketmap Atlas and iPAQ navigation, but neither one could meet all her needs.
Here is a list of software requirement we came up from our limited experiences.

MUST HAVE:
1. She drives locally in San Francisco bay area.
So local navigation is critical, not long distance route planning.

2. Advise lane information while approaching highway exit
(So she won't miss exit on the left or take wrong lane at multi-exit intersection.) Also, announce Right or Left turn when approaching the intersection of the exit and local street.

3. Pre-recorded announcement for the street/exit name
(we found Pocketmap's pronunciation hard to comprehend sometimes. A bit too artificial. )

NICE TO HAVE:
1. "Street first" option for address input

2. 3D view

If you know any software that might suit our needs,
please kindly let us know. Thank you in advance
for your help.

SS
Go to Top of Page

paulkbiba

USA
5064 Posts

Posted - 02 oct. 2005 :  05:22:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You might want to try Mapopolis. You can download the program for free and then get a trial map. It's the only one I know that lets you try before you buy. No 3d view, though.

For really excellent text to speach you could get CoPilot 5, but it's expensive and has no trial.

The closest one I can think of for you is OnCourseNavigator 5. The single region is only $79, so you don't loose too much if it doesn't work out. It has the best 3d view I've seen. Check out our review on the site.

TomTom Navigator 5 is also an excellent choice for someone who is not a computer guru. It is so simple to operate you don't even really need a manual. It also has an excellent 3d view.

Unfortunately there are a fair number of choices for you. I don't include iGuidance because its 3d view is pretty primitive.

Whatever you select, please let us know your experience.

Go to Top of Page

ssc

2 Posts

Posted - 02 oct. 2005 :  10:12:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi! Paul,
Thanks for your advice, very helpful!
Among all the requirements, the second one for highway lane guidance is the most important one. A friend of mine told us the NeverLost system on Hertz can tell the driver which lane to take at multi-exit intersection on highway. Do you know which one(s) among Mapopolis, OCN5, and TomTom N5 can do that?
Also for the voice part, are they all use the text-to-voice software for the street name announcing? Again, my friend told me Neverlost seems to use recorded voice file for street name.
Many Thanks for the help!

SS
Go to Top of Page

paulkbiba

USA
5064 Posts

Posted - 02 oct. 2005 :  15:25:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CoPilot and Mapopolis have actual test to speech and will pronounce the real road name. CoPilot is much better than Mapopolis at this. As I said, you can try a demo fo Mapopolis and check it for yourself.

As to lanes, they all will tell you to stay left or stay right in that situation. OCN5 is best, I think. They are not perfect, however, and sometimes you really need to look at the map rather than wait for the spoken directions.

Go to Top of Page

GpsKen

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 04 oct. 2005 :  19:06:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In reply to ssc

I have been using iGuidance for 2 weeks now, both in my area and in an unknown city. It's ability to automitically re-route within about 15 seconds of taking an unexpected turn is amazing. If you don't like the route it picks, just make a turn on your own and it comes right back with new directions.

I find the voice directions so accurate to follow that I rarely look at the screen any more.

It gives you plenty of warning on turns and then another warning at 500 ft, and a bong at about 25 feet.

I thought I would miss the street names, it can only speak route numbers. I assumed I needed the street names to confirm I was turning onto the right street. This was based on my experiences with an old Street Atlas. However, since this is so much more accruate and complete, I am learning to trust the directions and don't have to look for the street signs. I find this method less distracting.

No program is perfect all of the time. It told me to get in the right lane to get on to an interstate to go East. It was correct about wanting to go East, but at the split in the highway, the road signs clearly pointed to the left for Eastbound traffic.

It is easy to enter a destination by address. Less easy to call up a map and point to where you want to go.

I also have a Dell X-50.

Ken
===
Go to Top of Page

Vineet

2 Posts

Posted - 09 oct. 2005 :  21:46:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Between the 3 or 4 software (Mapopolis, OCNv5, iGuidance and TomTom) that are commonly being mentioned, could you elaborate on the POI database for each. I will be using it in the U.S.

Is the POI database typically provided by the map data providers (Navteq, TeleAtlas)? Could two software packages using the same map data provider have different POI databases ?

Thanks in advance.
Go to Top of Page

paulkbiba

USA
5064 Posts

Posted - 09 oct. 2005 :  22:18:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Every software program I have seen seems to have a different POI database, even if the software is using the same map provider. I haven't seen any program that I consider really good. It's very hard to get good POIs because businesses are constantly starting up and closing down. As soon as you have your database it is obsolete.

Go to Top of Page

schneid

202 Posts

Posted - 10 oct. 2005 :  03:57:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the difference between the Maps and the POIs is that they come from different companies and are provided at different price levels.

I am only knowledgeable regarding the iWay as I stuggled with it for eight months trying to figure out why such a good looking product was so ugly.

The iWay uses maps from NavTeq and POIs from InfoUSA. The iWay's integration of the two is so shoddy the icons don't even match. Other than an overall lacking feature set, one of iWays biggest flaws is that is does not show upcoming cross streets. Other Navteq products do in great detail. In my opinion, Lowrance went low bidder on the entire project. They didn't buy the map levels that others do.

I have using using iGuidance and TomTom side by side now on my iPaq. I think they use different map providers but they are always pretty much on the same page. Go read Marvin the Expert's post on iGuidance and Streets and Trips for PC's street level detail. iGuidance just smokes Streets and Trips. iGuidance is $100.00 (and a steal as it includes the PPC version too) while Streets and Trips reportedly is available at Sams fo $25.00. You do the math.

As for what PDA software to buy, I don't really know. I've used Destinator US and Europe. I found it hard to use but then I'm stupid. I'm using iGuidance US and I have found nothing wrong with its performace although some complain about its routing. I've used TomTom 2 USA (good), TT3 Europe (good), TT4 USA (a downgrade that made me cry), and now TT5. The more I use TT5 and dig out its its undocumented features, I am convinced it is, IMHO, the best "software" on the market. Give it a big dispaly and VGA it would be a dragon slayer. It is now WinCE based, so they can migrate anywhere they want.

TomTom's coolest features:

I can dial a POI directly from TomTom on my Bluetooth phone.

I can navigate directly from Pocket Outlook.

I can create a bunch of POIs in Streets and Trips and transfer them to TomTom where they are seemlessly integrated.

Edited by - schneid on 10 oct. 2005 04:04:16
Go to Top of Page

admin_0

1 Posts

Posted - 05 nov. 2005 :  04:16:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm looking for a software mapping that would include bicycle trails, any thoughts on the subject. I'm researching the best way to cross the US on a bike.....bicyle that is.
Go to Top of Page

paulkbiba

USA
5064 Posts

Posted - 05 nov. 2005 :  06:00:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm afraid that there isn't any such thing. Bicycle trails are very local stuff that change quickly and don't show up on national databases. Even topo maps are pretty old and may or may not include them.

TomTom Navigator 5 and OnCourse Navigator 5 both have "bicycle" settings. But these will take you on roads, not on trails. As far as I can tell they do things like avoid interstates and limited access highways. Unfortunately neither of these has any sort of demo, so you'll have to buy them to try them out.

Go to Top of Page

robbiex

USA
218 Posts

Posted - 31 déc. 2005 :  21:37:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Schneid,

Just had the opportunity to read your comments.
We have evaluated most of the major GPS software and overall like TomTom the best. Most of our routing is by coordinates and TomTom 5 with their SDK and the TTNCF wrapper provide excellent capability for this type of routing. We use the software on a Psion NetBook Pro that runs the Microsoft CE NET 4.2 operating system. The NetBook's large sized LCD screen (6.75" by 5" with 800 x 600 resolution) is a major advantage for GPS navigation operations.

Robbie
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 01 janv. 2006 :  16:17:34  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OT - Welcome back, keep us posted on the uBlox GPS if you can ;-)

x50v

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 03 janv. 2006 :  20:45:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welllll.
I bought Microsoft Streets and Trips 2006 with the PPC version on it. As far as the PPC version goes, it is a complete waste of money. Shouldn't have bought it.

Dell X50V, GlobalSat BT-338, 1 Gig SD, 512 CF
Quartz Hill, California,USA
Go to Top of Page

CalvinAndHobbes

12 Posts

Posted - 07 janv. 2006 :  08:20:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I am just missing a great resource that I am sure is already here somewhere, but after 40 minutes of browsing and searching, I cannot seem to find it.

I am looking for a single source of what GPS software works with WM05.

Thanks in advance for any help in pointing me to the right direction!
Go to Top of Page

deichenlaub

USA
127 Posts

Posted - 08 janv. 2006 :  03:54:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would be a pretty boring post. So far as GPS is concerned, the changes for WM5 are:

Improved Bluetooth stack - easier to connect Bluetooth GPS receivers - no problem there.

VGA support (for some devices), Landscape support for all devices - I believe all major packages now support these.

New format for the contacts data base - I think all packages now read the WM5 data base, although Mapapolis WM5 contact reader is still in beta.

The whole world is on the WM5 bandwagon. Such is the power of Microsoft.

HP iPAQ 2490 / WM5 / Mapopolis / GlobalSAT BC-337 (Holux CF GPS)
Go to Top of Page

Lizard_weasel

USA
892 Posts

Posted - 08 janv. 2006 :  04:55:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Too bad the x50 series with WM5 has such a crippled bluetooth stack.

Dell Axim x50v /Globalsat BT-338 Bluetooth GPS/2gb PNY SD card/2gb Kingston CF card. Mapopolis 4.60 with North America NE maps.
Go to Top of Page

purpc

3 Posts

Posted - 14 janv. 2006 :  20:21:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i using iguidance 2.1.2 europe and works very well,simple and great.
Go to Top of Page

bober99

14 Posts

Posted - 22 janv. 2006 :  02:34:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have found the following:
-tomtom is fast but crappy maps
-iguidance has good maps but is SLOW SLOW SLOW on my ppc-6700 windows mobile 5
-garmin que gps works the best and has best maps
Go to Top of Page

ranger

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 27 janv. 2006 :  11:03:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree on TT's maps. Not good for my area. I think the UI is the best however. If they were on Navteq, no one would buy anything else. I'm between iGuidance and Mapopolis on an XV6700. All the posts on the iGuidance routing problems and the one post on how slow it is on the PPC-6700 have put me off a little. Mapopolis would probably be great but I still don't understand the whole map management thing they have going. I will probably pick up the phone today from Verizon and download the free demo from Mapopolis. I have a couple of driving trips coming up next week, so I'll let you know how it goes.
Go to Top of Page

deichenlaub

USA
127 Posts

Posted - 28 janv. 2006 :  02:59:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mapapolis has a bad rep for their map mamagement. But the fact is that they have improved their map management immensely. You can read the details in their forums, but here's the short version. Put your maps on a memory card. I suggest you put each state in a different folder.

When you load maps, Mapapolis defaults to "all folders" and "load major roads".

If you want one state and it's not NY or CA, just change to the folder for the state you want, click one county in the state, and click "load contiguous maps". Mapapolis will load all of the maps for the state, plus the major road information for the US.

If you want to do long distance routing and you know the source/destination coutnies you want, select "all folders", but select just the source and destination counties. Mapapolis will route you using the major roads data plus the detail data for the two counties. Save the route in a file. Whenever you recall the route, Mapapolis will pull up the maps you need automatically.

If you don't know the counties, but you know about where it is on the map, just display the major roads map. You will see stars that represent the counties. Click a county near your destination. You will see a box with the county name. "Click and hold" the county name box, and select the "load map" option. (NOTE: you must have "all folders" selected for this to work). Load all the counties that are near your destination then do a find by address or find by points of interest. To get rid of the counties you don't need, save the route, then open the saved route. Mapapolis will not open all those extra counties you seleccted.

Opening counties from the map also works if you are on a long trip and decide you want detailed local information for a specific area, or if you want to build a corridor of local information along a long route.

Note that once the maps are on your memory card, you do everything on your PPC. You don't need a laptop to do trip planning! If you are willing to use a PC in your planning process, there are lots of other ways of getting the county name for your destination, including the Mapapolis web site.

Go to Top of Page

ranger

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 28 janv. 2006 :  11:43:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow that was about as simple as calculus and a great argument for me to go with iGuidance. With TomTom or iGuidance, you load states or regions on a card one time at initial set-up, then forever after that you just pick you destination, let it route and go. I was hoping Mapopolis was the same way but it doesn't sound like it.
Thank for the explanation though. It sounded confusing reading the documentation and now I know it really is.

Edited by - ranger on 28 janv. 2006 11:45:10
Go to Top of Page

deichenlaub

USA
127 Posts

Posted - 28 janv. 2006 :  15:26:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To paraphrase an old commercial, "Where's the beef?" If you want a state, load it and go, with Mapapols as well as iGuidance or TomTom. With Mapapolis, you do have the option to have as much or as little map as you want, and to manage how much map data is in RAM. Or maybe there's something in the other products that I just miss.

Go to Top of Page

paulkbiba

USA
5064 Posts

Posted - 28 janv. 2006 :  16:18:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I think you are missing something :-) Take iGuidance for example. You can have the entire United States on one SD card. To go from NY to LA all you have to do is enter a start point address and an end point address and that's it. No fooling with county maps, major roads maps, state maps, folders managing RAM, or anything else. With other programs routing is just this simple. Also, the routing will be with full-detail maps, not just major roads maps. All other programs work this way. Mapopolis is a first-rate program, but they have yet to make routing as simple as other programs, or as simple as their own NavCard for example. I understand they are working on this and they will be a real long-distance competitor when they get it done.

Edited by - paulkbiba on 28 janv. 2006 17:12:08
Go to Top of Page

ranger

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 28 janv. 2006 :  22:11:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Paul. I look forward to when they get it done too because their support is second to none in my opinion and I think they really listen to their customers. They'll get there and then they'll tough to beat!
Go to Top of Page

oceanview

4 Posts

Posted - 28 janv. 2006 :  22:23:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have a Dell Axim X51V with Windows Mobile 5.
Researching software and BT Hardware to satisfy my needs which include extensive travel in Europe as well as USA. The must features are:

- Detailed voice commands - announce direction, street, number, etc. (Text to Speech TTS)
- Map accuracy - Europe and USA
- Seamless Maps in the continents - loadable on a SD card.
- Ease of use - touch screen and go.. simplicity
- Smooth, quick refresh operation with Dell X51V with WM5 and BT GPS receiver
- Compatible and tested with WM5

(I have used car based systems in BMW and Mercedes in Europe - and was amazed in the accuracy and detail of the voice directions. For example I went from Munich to Regensburg - door to door and never had to look at the screen once. I was in front of a restaurant in downtown Regensburg ahead of my colleague with a less sophisticated unit.)

1. I read the great reviews here of OCN5 and others but, would like some opinions of what is the best from the list below. My notes below... but I would love the board’s opinion on these:

OCN5 - overall can’t find any issues for me. TTS, good maps. Europe? no Text Rout list but I read on their site they may be fixing this with 5.1 or 5.2 or 6.0? Some issues with WM5 compatibility on their board, but they say it is fixed. Read here that the VGA refresh is choppy in 3D especially in landscape ?

Tomtom - not sure it is WM5 compatible? great reviews in Europe. USA maps poor per review on buygps? Teleatlas vs. Navteq I’ve heard Navteq is best choice in USA and Europe. Very good software and VERY popular in Europe. TTS

I-guidance - no TTS, just voice turn guidance. So out for me. Good reviews.

DestinatorPN - bad review on buygps.com Haven’t seen anything here. TTS but said it needs 128Mb for TTS to work??? – per web site So out for me. Axim has 64K RAM.

Navman Smart ST v3 - not much information about their PPC software even on their web site.

Teletype – can’t find any issues except for Teleatlas maps? Am I being too hard on Teleatlas?

Co-Pilot 5 - no real info except for the positive comments from moderator.

Right now I am leaning to OCN5 or Teletype or TomTom.

Looking for any recommendations.

On the BT receiver

Heard that the SirfIII chipset is better than the Nemerix, more sensitive -- WAAS is important to get refresh rate to 1/second – any recommendations?

I will write a full report once I get to use it in Europe and USA.

thanks
Go to Top of Page

paulkbiba

USA
5064 Posts

Posted - 28 janv. 2006 :  22:32:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A couple of comments. All GPS receivers update at once per second. It has nothing to do with WAAS. WAAS won't get you anything in driving applications; see here /www.gpspassion.com/fr/articles.asp?id=143&page=2

You can see the results of our receiver testing here www.gpspassion.com/fr/articles.asp?id=157 and here www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=43462

If you want TTS then your only choices are Mapopolis and CoPilot. Teletype has gotten some pretty negative comments in the forum; suggest you do a search. OCN5 does not have TTS. TomTom does not have TTS. I wonder if you are using the term TTS correctly. TTS means that the software will pronounce the road name. For example it will say "Turn left onto James Street". TomTom, OCN5, etc. will only say "Turn left". This is not TTS.

TeleAtlas maps can be just fine and I have had no problems with them in the most of the areas I drive. From postings on the site they seem to fall down in Florida and the Washington, DC area. However, Navteq can have incorrect data also. Mapopolis' European maps are rather old and they are in the process of preparing a new European release. It's not out yet.

Hope this helps.

Edited by - paulkbiba on 28 janv. 2006 22:36:38
Go to Top of Page

robbiex

USA
218 Posts

Posted - 29 janv. 2006 :  00:30:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Consumer level GPS receivers generally update once per second. There are, however, a number of receivers, including inexpensive ones, that are capable of higher update rates. Unfortunately, I do not know of any consumer grade software that takes advantage of the faster updating. TomTom does simulate a faster rate in software.
The best GPS that we have used for transcontinental USA navigation is the Harmon/Becker system that is installed in Mercedes automobiles. It is easy to use, there is a large, bright LCD display, and the GPS audio instructions are integrated with the vehicle's sound system. The maps are Navteq and are stored on a dedicated DVD.
For navigating to address book stored coordinates, we use TomTom. It is still the only known software that has a decent implementation of this capability.
Navteq maps are better than those of TeleAtlas in my local area of Florida, but, interestingly, TeleAtlas are better in a remote area of western Florida. This taught be that in the USA it is desirable to be able to use both Navteq and TeleAtlas.

Robbie
Go to Top of Page

oceanview

4 Posts

Posted - 29 janv. 2006 :  03:46:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Paul - thanks for the info. Little confused on TTS for OCN5. Our defintitions are the same.. pronunciation of the street name in addition to the direction command.

Check this demo out from the OCN5 site. sure sounds like the lady is pronouncing the words "turn right on to the I-285"

What do you think?

quote:

A couple of comments. All GPS receivers update at once per second. It has nothing to do with WAAS. WAAS won't get you anything in driving applications; see here /www.gpspassion.com/fr/articles.asp?id=143&page=2

You can see the results of our receiver testing here www.gpspassion.com/fr/articles.asp?id=157 and here www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=43462

If you want TTS then your only choices are Mapopolis and CoPilot. Teletype has gotten some pretty negative comments in the forum; suggest you do a search. OCN5 does not have TTS. TomTom does not have TTS. I wonder if you are using the term TTS correctly. TTS means that the software will pronounce the road name. For example it will say "Turn left onto James Street". TomTom, OCN5, etc. will only say "Turn left". This is not TTS.

TeleAtlas maps can be just fine and I have had no problems with them in the most of the areas I drive. From postings on the site they seem to fall down in Florida and the Washington, DC area. However, Navteq can have incorrect data also. Mapopolis' European maps are rather old and they are in the process of preparing a new European release. It's not out yet.

Hope this helps.

Go to Top of Page

oceanview

4 Posts

Posted - 29 janv. 2006 :  03:47:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry - forgot the link:

http://www.oncoursenavigator.com/media2/4.html

quote:
Originally posted by oceanview

Paul - thanks for the info. Little confused on TTS for OCN5. Our defintitions are the same.. pronunciation of the street name in addition to the direction command.

Check this demo out from the OCN5 site. sure sounds like the lady is pronouncing the words "turn right on to the I-285"

What do you think?

quote:

Hope this helps.

Go to Top of Page

paulkbiba

USA
5064 Posts

Posted - 29 janv. 2006 :  03:53:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
True, but that example is a bit misleading, I'm afraid. OCN5 only pronounces the names of major exits off of interstates. And it isn't 100% consistent about this. All other turns are just of the "turn left" type.

By the way, no need to quote it just uses up our bandwidth :-)

Go to Top of Page

Frosty Vibe

Canada
167 Posts

Posted - 30 janv. 2006 :  06:07:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes, I think you are missing something :-) Take iGuidance for example. You can have the entire United States on one SD card. To go from NY to LA all you have to do is enter a start point address and an end point address and that's it. No fooling with county maps, major roads maps, state maps, folders managing RAM, or anything else. With other programs routing is just this simple. Also, the routing will be with full-detail maps, not just major roads maps. All other programs work this way. Mapopolis is a first-rate program, but they have yet to make routing as simple as other programs, or as simple as their own NavCard for example. I understand they are working on this and they will be a real long-distance competitor when they get it done.

Mapopolis no longer has a population limit on its maps... so you can load the entire U.S.A on one card too now.

I use both iGuidance and Mapopolis, I personally prefer the way Mapopolis manages its maps because it is easier in the following ways...

1. You can have choose to use (and load) as many or as few counties/cities/provinces/states with Mapopolis, while iGuidance,the maps have to adjecent to one another.

ie. I have the Canadian maps on my SD card at all times but I only have my home province's map as an active map since I rarely drive into another province. The advantage is that Mapopolis runs a lot quicker ( in terms of search or routing ) when there's only a small amount of maps involved. On the other hand, the entire Canadian map has to be used for iGudiance and that slows things down significantly.

Also, if I am travelling to Los Angeles next week by plane... I can simply load the Los Angeles county map into my SD card and that's it.
With iGuidance I'd have to create an entire new map files to include Canada and California ( in its entirety ) or have only a map of the surrounding areas of L.A.

I do realize there's a work around on this issue with iGuidance but that's beside the point...

2. Map loading mechanism: when it comes to loading maps, all I have to do is choose the maps I want and transfer it to the chosen destination ( card or memory ) and that's it. iGuidance has a "Map Loader" and it is a very slow program, not to mention the limited flexibiilty as noted above.

Now a couple of points of iGuidance where it is superior to Mapopolis.

1. Search for city is way easier on iGuidance.

ie. iGuidance can search for a city using the city's full name while Mapopolis can only go by the first letter. Take California for example again, there are at least 20 cities starting with the letter "A" and it does at least 10 taps on "A" to get to Anaheim. The altnernative is to use the scroll bar but it is very easy to miss the mark. With iGuidance, I can simply type in Anaheim and that's it.

2. Route creation is quicker on iGuidance than Mapopolis... given the same geographical maps are loaded.

ie. it takes approx 45sec to create a route from Sydney, NS to Victoria BC, while Mapoplis take at least 2 minutes. Both main programs were stored in the main memory and maps on the same SD card.

3. GREAT voice instructions... Mapoplis is improving is this aspect very slowy and its TTS system is absolutely horrible and useless, IMO.

Both are great programs but neither are anywhere near perfect.

That's my $0.02 worth.

iPAQ 2210 + LeadTek 9537 BT GPS + RiData 66X 512mb SD + A Pacer 1gb + SD SanDisk 128mb CF + Kingson 512MB CF + Mapopolis 4.6 +iGuidance V2.1.1
Go to Top of Page

admin_0

1 Posts

Posted - 24 févr. 2006 :  03:07:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How come no real discussion on Garmin GSP 10. It's for the PPC and Palm, and uses NavTeq maps.

I can find very little information on it and I can't figure out why. Garmin is a leader in the GPS world (I thought), NavTeq are commonly thought of as the "best" maps.

About the only negative I can find from what little information I have seen is that you HAVE to use their GPS device and it definitely does not have the SiRF III chipset...but I'm sure it's just a matter of time before they either upgrade the antenna, open up the software to use other antennas, or someone finds a way to work around the resriction for Palm (there is already a work around for PPC).
Go to Top of Page

forestir

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 24 févr. 2006 :  04:15:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by French

How come no real discussion on Garmin GSP 10. It's for the PPC and Palm, and uses NavTeq maps.

I can find very little information on it and I can't figure out why. Garmin is a leader in the GPS world (I thought), NavTeq are commonly thought of as the "best" maps.

Garmin's GPS 10 was my top pick until I discovered this site. The receiver isn't as good as the Sirf-III's as you've already seen.

I'd expect the software to be among the best though, so once they go Sirf-III, it would be a top pick.
Go to Top of Page

pwillikers

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 02 avr. 2006 :  21:10:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've bought several PPC mapping apps and have been disappointed - very disappointed. Microsoft S&T PPC is worthless, Delorme SAHH can at least do routing on the PPC but the "mobile map" creation process is onerous and NAVMAN SmartST V2 will only go to a destination. There's no way to route stops along the way which is essential to how I control the "off the beaten path" routing.

I wish I had found this site before I started this process. A wealth of info here and you guys are great with speedy responses and good unbiased info. Please advise where to go from here. I tour multiple states on a motorcycle. I construct elaborate back road routes beforehand that avoid freeways and population centers and I just want a GPS to talk me throught the route as I ride. I bought a NAVMAN PiN 100 (which is a rebranded Mitac Mio 168). It came with SmartST V2. I added a 1 Gig SD card for maps. The primary basis for deciding on this purchase is that is small, multipurpose (mp3 player, scientific calculator etc.) and cheap. I've been trying additional map software because the single destination only, no waypoints, limitation of SmartST V2 is a show stopper for me and, as I said, I've been left wanting.

From my reading on this site it seems iG, OCN5, Mapopolis or TomTom might be best in that order. Your recommendations and comments please.

My requirements in priority order.
1. Ability to create routes on the PPC with many (25+) waypoints such that I have granular control on the route.
2. Multi-state maps on the SD card available to the mapping routine. Please, none of that rectangle map construction ala Delorme SAHH for me thanks. I just want all the maps available at all times.
3. Fast route and reroute generation.
4. Clear voice guidance.
5. 3D map guidance
6. Ability to plan routes on the pc and download them to the PPC. Is there a standard exchange format?
7. Big finger menu navigation on the PPC touch screen.
8. Very high contrast map display.

And of course the assumed function... accurate maps, ease of use, multiple route storage.

Is there any way to try these applications for some time period, 30 days, before purchase?

Thanks, Paul.

Mitac Mio 168 w/ 1Gig SD card
NAVMAN SmartST V2
Delorme SAHH 2005
MS ST 2006 PPC

Edited by - pwillikers on 02 avr. 2006 22:40:10
Go to Top of Page

paulkbiba

USA
5064 Posts

Posted - 02 avr. 2006 :  23:04:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I do a lot of motorcycling myself and my standard for motorcycle stuff is CoPilot. Take a look at my review here: http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=49981

CoPilot is the only one of the programs you mentioned that will let you do planning on your PC, all the others are PPC only. (iGuidance has a laptop version but it doesn't allow interchange of routes with the PPC.)

Nobody, except Mapopolis, has a free trial, but CoPilot has a 30 day return guarantee.

Go to Top of Page

pwillikers

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 02 avr. 2006 :  23:53:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very speedy response, thanks. I agree that GPS' on motorcycles can be dangerous and must be used judiciously. Good speech guidance is paramount as are simple, clear displays. I intend to not look at the display while riding unless absolutely necessary. I just read your review. Copilot seems to have map management, good voice guidance, the simple display and big finger menuing down also.

Do you do the same elaborate, off the beaten path, routing I mentioned? How's it do with that? This for me is the critical function.

Thanks, Paul.

NAVMAN SmartST V2: acceptable for most usere but not for my purposes
Delorme SAHH 2005: unacceptable, slow and kludgey
MS ST 2006 PPC: abject garbage
Go to Top of Page

paulkbiba

USA
5064 Posts

Posted - 03 avr. 2006 :  00:03:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately, I don't do that sort of routing as I tend just to pick an area and just go out and drive. When I need to plan I do it directly on the PPC. I use the GPS more to tell me where I am and then to get me home after I've gotten myself completely off into the boondocks somewhere. Of all the programs I've used CoPilot can do your type of routing as well as, if not better than, the others. It's the only one that will do it from your PC.

Go to Top of Page

boulderbean

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 03 avr. 2006 :  20:20:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a related question. I use a GPS on my motorcyle also, but not as a real time navigation aid. I use it to look up where I am and how to get where I want to be if needed. I also use the GPS to track my trip and save the tracklog, but I have at times exceeded the limit of the tracklog before reaching home to transfer the log.
So I am considering purchasing a pda to interface with my garmin map79csx so that I can transfer the tracklog a couple of times a week.
Can you suggest a device and software for this? If needed I could leave the gps connected to the pda in order to let the software keep a separate log file which could be saved.
Thanks,
bb
Go to Top of Page

paulkbiba

USA
5064 Posts

Posted - 03 avr. 2006 :  21:20:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, but I've had no reason to use tracklogs, so I can't be of much help. It seems a rather expensive way to save a log - buying a whole new PDA. Can't you just get a bigger micro-SD card? It would be a lot cheaper than a PDA. A 512MB card is only about $50.

Go to Top of Page

boulderbean

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 03 avr. 2006 :  21:27:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would like to but - the garmin will not save/transfer tracklogs to the SD card. I can transfer to a pc through the USB connection. I have contacted garmin to see if there was a way I missed but unfortunately this is not the case.
Thanks,
bb
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 03 avr. 2006 :  23:50:34  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We're a bit OT here but if you are referring to the 76Csx (haven't heard of the 79Csx) then the latest firmware will let you save you track to the microSD card - see here http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/news.asp?id=551

boulderbean

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 04 avr. 2006 :  04:42:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry for drifting off topic. I made a typo, I do have a 76CSx. I have downloaded the beta update and will install - thanks this is exactly what I was looking to do and even as of this AM have been in contact with Garmin this was not mentioned. Thanks alot.
bb
Go to Top of Page

admin_0

1 Posts

Posted - 09 avr. 2006 :  03:47:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got EMTAC because (lets be honest) it was cheap. Can't beat $76.00. It does not have the new chip but something had to be compromized. I thought that software was more important (from the price range that I could afford that is). EMTAC communicated well with my HP Pocket PC (2755). I have not seen reviews for this particular company and knew I was taking a chance, but ....For my software I chose Pocket Map Navigator. I liked the display and what it offered in features. It works well with the receiver and with my pocket PC. I'll post if I encounter any issues. I have to say that yeasterday it picked correct rout to the restaurant which folks in my group did not even know existed (they were sure there was no South Spring street in our city:-)
Go to Top of Page

pwillikers

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 10 avr. 2006 :  20:35:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Paul, Based upon:
  • your recommendation,
  • a little research,
  • their 30 day satisfaction guaranteed return policy and,
  • a half-price competitive product upgrade offer (final price $99),
I ordered CoPilot. I'll post my impressions when they're formed. Thanks for your help.

Paul Williamson

NAVMAN SmartST V2: not acceptable for my purposes 'cause of no waypoints in the route.
Delorme SAHH 2005: unacceptable, slow and kludgey and "find" is terrible.
MicroSoft ST 2006 PPC: abject garbage
Go to Top of Page

redwagon

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 17 avr. 2006 :  16:39:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am trying to decide on a GPS option for a Palm Treo 700 (WM5). I've been advised that OCN5 will not run due to the limited amount of available RAM. I currently use CoPilot on an old IPAQ but would like more detailed map information.

I'm concerned by the reports of routing irregularities in IGuidance. I guess that leaves TomTom5 and Mapopolis as my options.

I'd appreciate comments from anyone familiar with any of these software options on the Treo 700.

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

sheureka

110 Posts

Posted - 17 avr. 2006 :  18:14:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by redwagon

I'm concerned by the reports of routing irregularities in IGuidance. I guess that leaves TomTom5 and Mapopolis as my options.
I think the "routing irregularities" problem in iGuidance has been way overblown. I've been using it for about a year now, almost everyday, in Kansas, Arizona, New Mexico, Southern California and East Texas and I've never had a problem with routing. It's been extremely reliable for me - sheureka
Go to Top of Page

pwillikers

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 17 avr. 2006 :  18:14:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Of all the PPC Map/GPS software I've tried, CoPilot Live PPC 6 is the first to earn the coveted "acceptable" designation. I'm sure they're thrilled. Its definitely a keeper! I had a minor install/license problem, emailed tech support and got an answer the next business day just as advertised!

Paul Williamson

Mitac Mio 168
w/ 1Gig SD card

CoPilot Live Pocket PC 6: acceptable - includes capable PC map/route app. for route planning. Entire US map fits on a 1 Gig SD card. PPC app. is configurable, with twenty-five waypoints per route, yeah baby! TTS guidance is marginal, menu layout should be more intuitive.
NAVMAN SmartST V2: unacceptable - no waypoints allowed in the route.
Delorme SAHH 2005: unacceptable - slow map redraw, kludgey map mgt., "find" is terrible.
MicroSoft ST 2006 PPC: unacceptable - abject garbage, kludgey map mgt., no on-PDA routing. What? Bill are you kidding?
Go to Top of Page

paulkbiba

USA
5064 Posts

Posted - 17 avr. 2006 :  20:16:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know of any routing "irregularities" in iGuidance. It has a tendancy to keep trying to re-route you back to the original route if you go off-route, rather than immediately calculating a new route. Maybe this is what you heard. I use it regularly with no problems, as does one of our other moderators, Marvin who uses it for work all the time.

Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 17 avr. 2006 :  21:26:06  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
...and so does my wife now

Marvin Hlavac______________
iG customization | AR and S&T Tips & Tricks
Go to Top of Page

redwagon

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 18 avr. 2006 :  02:34:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all of your comments. I will take a closer look at IGuidance.
Go to Top of Page

taky

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 02 mai 2006 :  18:48:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tried a few PDA navigation programs.

Phargos - primitive looking. Do the job okay. You do have to switch maps if you drive outside the map area.

PocketMap navigator - The best one I have experienced. However, they stop supporting the software. The last update was 2004. It won't work in WM5 too. sad! I really like the North Up mode that the arrow is in the center of the map instead of the lower bottom of the map.

TomTom - very nice program too! However, it doesn't have a North Up mode.

Copilot 6 - I hated it. the menu is confusing (There is a Home for the home menu and a Home for going home address). It defaults to a drive safety view which shows only the turn direction without any map. In 2D view, the arrow walks across the screen instead of the map scrolling underneath the arrow. Good that they have a refund policy. You can try it yourself.

OCN5 - nice interface, fonts can be bigger. VERY SLOW in my PDA running 200Mhz. OCN tech support tells me it needs 400mhz to have the app to run smoothly. I wish they put that in their system requirement. Since there is no refund policy and no trial version, I'm stucked with it. Or need to buy a faster PDA.

Overall, I like TomTom but it doesn't have a North UP mode which is important to me. PocketMap Navigator is good too but it won't work on WM5 anymore.
Go to Top of Page

admin_0

1 Posts

Posted - 26 juin 2006 :  08:22:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i travel for a living doing disaster recovery and do not like being lost so i bought a pocket pc phone and ms streets and trips 2006 w/gps and a bluetooth dock. it works ok but i need some things that this doesn't offer. first i need to be able to store an entire map of the us on a one or two gig mini sd card instead of a whole bunch of little maps. and second i would like the option of laying out a route from a to b. does what i'm looking for exist?

thank you in advance for any help you may provide,
John

John
Go to Top of Page

cstraessle

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 02 juil. 2006 :  21:34:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Someone raised a question about the Garmin GPS10 + software a couple of posts back, but I wanted to ask again if any Palm users had tried it. I found a link on Garmin's site to the basic palm software and a basemap (PPC software too). I tried to install them on my Zodiac, but wasn't able to (some zodiac specific issues; still working on it).

Has anyone else given it a try? I'm interested in how their software compares to Mapopolis and TT. Also, will it work with any bluetooth GPS, or only the GPS10?

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

mswlogo

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 30 juil. 2006 :  03:56:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by taky

I tried a few PDA navigation programs.

Phargos - primitive looking. Do the job okay. You do have to switch maps if you drive outside the map area.

PocketMap navigator - The best one I have experienced. However, they stop supporting the software. The last update was 2004. It won't work in WM5 too. sad! I really like the North Up mode that the arrow is in the center of the map instead of the lower bottom of the map.

TomTom - very nice program too! However, it doesn't have a North Up mode.

Copilot 6 - I hated it. the menu is confusing (There is a Home for the home menu and a Home for going home address). It defaults to a drive safety view which shows only the turn direction without any map. In 2D view, the arrow walks across the screen instead of the map scrolling underneath the arrow. Good that they have a refund policy. You can try it yourself.

OCN5 - nice interface, fonts can be bigger. VERY SLOW in my PDA running 200Mhz. OCN tech support tells me it needs 400mhz to have the app to run smoothly. I wish they put that in their system requirement. Since there is no refund policy and no trial version, I'm stucked with it. Or need to buy a faster PDA.

Overall, I like TomTom but it doesn't have a North UP mode which is important to me. PocketMap Navigator is good too but it won't work on WM5 anymore.

Try Mapopolis, it has a North Up mode. Software is Free, Maps cost $$$ but there are demo maps you can try.

I hate OCN5 and I'm stuck with it too.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PPC-6700 WM5, Fortuna Slim GPS Sirf III Bluetooth. North America NE maps (MA and NH)

Edited by - mswlogo on 30 juil. 2006 03:57:23
Go to Top of Page

nrlanni

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 31 juil. 2006 :  10:03:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I’ve read a lot about iGuidance 3.0 and it seemed the way to go, but searching through the forum I’ve read that iGuidance has some glitches in providing the most direct routing. I do trips of 10 to 45 miles routinely and sometimes would prefer surface street rather than freeways. Do you think Destinator’s routing is more precise?

I’ve corresponded with a several forum members and it seems many have have experience with one package but not the other. I’ve really tried a lot of searching through the forum to find Destinator screen shots and comparison between Destinator and iGuidance 3.0, but it seems the discussions predate the latest versions of the software packages.

Lastly, it appears that Destinator’s web site has a lot of info and is a bit more polished than iNav’s, but the human support component is the most critical so it's hard to say which company's support is better. I’ve tried reading up on Destinator by downloading their manuals and info concerning upgrades, current versions, patches, etc., but only registered users have access. I’m sure I’m overlooking something – can you please provide a little “direction” (pun intended).

Nathan Lanni
Southern Calif., USA
Go to Top of Page

admin_0

1 Posts

Posted - 03 sept. 2006 :  19:57:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please Help!!
Questions from a newbie!
I just purchased an HP Ipaq 2795b as a major upgrade from a Palm Zire21.
Now I am looking into GPS software and a bluetooth reciever.
I'm Thinking the GlobalSat BT359 or the TomTom SirfIII receiver.
And for software I am having problems making the decision between iGuidance 3.0, CoPilot Live v6.0, Destinator v6.0, and TomTom Navigator v5.0(or waiting till v6.0).
I have read every review I can find and just became more confused.
I live in the western suburbs of Minneapolis and do most of my driving locally.
Can anyone please provide some assistance to my dilema?

Thanks,
Craig D
Minnesota
Go to Top of Page

34Ford

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 30 sept. 2006 :  16:28:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Been away for somtime. Was using Mapopolis with my Sony Clie and I now have a Palm Tungsten E2 on its way.

So whats available for Palm OS5? Im mostly seeing new stuff for ppc's.

Dennis
Go to Top of Page

beanxx

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 13 oct. 2006 :  21:15:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, congratulate me! I just bought my first GPS. The Loox T830 GPS/PDA/phone thing. So these software questions suddenly become more concrete.

Are POI lists and location-based services equally available to all of the better GPS programs, or are they program-specific? If the latter, which programs have the best services? I am thinking especially of fairly standard questions like "Show me the speed traps," "Where is the nearest well-reviewed Italian restaurant," "Am i heading toward a traffic jam?" and "Where is the nearest hospital with an emergency room." But I would also like to know, if, e.g., all geocache players put their lists are on one brand of software.

I have a second question, which may be off-topic for this forum. Is there a good book or set of articles about cool things to do with your GPS? I mean, I bought it so that i would not get lost while driving, but I wonder what else is out there. GPS-based dating services? Extreme GPS sports? Where's Waldo web-pages?

Beanxx

Edited by - beanxx on 13 oct. 2006 21:22:30
Go to Top of Page

sundaydiver

Denmark
15 Posts

Posted - 25 oct. 2006 :  16:35:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Europe
I am trying to find a navigation program for my PPC (ETEN G500+) with WindowsMobile 2005. The program must provide at least these facilities:

a. Entering street first then city/state
b. Seek and list POIs around present location
c. Seek and list POIs along route
d. Seek and list POIs around destination
e. Seem less navigation across country borders

Have tried out Navigon, Medion, Destinator, TomTom, iGO 2006 but none of them provide all of the above.
Which program will do?

C220 (EU), R07.4.0168.0612 firmware, MioMap v3.3. MioPocket 2.0 Release 25. Sygic MacDrive
Go to Top of Page

howard2dot0

13 Posts

Posted - 03 déc. 2006 :  23:39:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been researching for a PDA navigation software for months and I am getting more and more confused by all the data. I seriously need some help.
I have an old HP iPaq h5550 with bluetooth running MS Pocket PC 4.2 and I am looking for a navigation software that meets the following criteria:
1. I must be able to plan a route on my laptop with mutliple stop-overs, then download it to my PDA for the trip.
2. I must be able to add custom POI's.
3. I must be able to use it with my finger instead of a stylus.
4. It must have voice prompt. (doesn't have to be TTS)
5. Preferably, it should cost around US$100 plus/minus US$25.
6. Preferably, it should use Navteq maps since my research seems to indicate that it is more accurate.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Howard

Edited by - howard2dot0 on 03 déc. 2006 23:42:46
Go to Top of Page

merlin2375

79 Posts

Posted - 10 janv. 2007 :  04:10:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I have been doing so much reading this past week I'm not sure I can absorb any more :) First what I have

Dell Axim x30 (max 312mhz, 64 mg of ram), 2gb SD card for maps

What I am thinking of getting:
Garmin mobile 10/nroute/mobile XT
or
Holux 236 + iGuidance 3.0

I am really torn but mostly on the software. I think both recievers would be fine. I just need a decent reasonably fast solution. iGuidance gets great reviews with the exception of some quirks. I haven't found many reviews on Mobile XT.

I am looking for opinions, what would you pick?

Thanks so much for helping!

* Nuvi 370 * Garmin Microphone * Garmin GA25MCX External Antenna * Speck Products Skin * Invisible Shield Screen Protector * Modified VPM voice files for higher volume

Older b&w etrex vista for outdoors activities!
Go to Top of Page

merlin2375

79 Posts

Posted - 10 janv. 2007 :  15:09:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
/\/\ anyone opinions out there

* Nuvi 370 * Garmin Microphone * Garmin GA25MCX External Antenna * Speck Products Skin * Invisible Shield Screen Protector * Modified VPM voice files for higher volume

Older b&w etrex vista for outdoors activities!
Go to Top of Page

bman03

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 21 août 2007 :  16:58:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought a iBlue 737 and MS Streets & Trips 2007 in December. I downloaded STKeys and it works great with my laptop. I use it for driving navigation mostly. My wife hates holding the laptop. I have a VX6700 running Windows Mobile 5 (WM5) with no internet connection. I was thinking of running some software on the VX6700 and using the iBlue 737. Doing some research, I can buy iGuidance 4.0 or a used version of MS S&T2006 for the PocketStreets 2006? Is there something that MS S&T 2007 can do or something else someone can suggest? I don't want to spend a lot more money on this setup.

Thanks,
Brian

In the Northeast.
Go to Top of Page

Rambler

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 04 sept. 2007 :  22:38:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pwillikers

From my reading on this site it seems iG, OCN5, Mapopolis or TomTom might be best in that order. Your recommendations and comments please.

My requirements in priority order.
1. Ability to create routes on the PPC with many (25+) waypoints such that I have granular control on the route.
2. Multi-state maps on the SD card available to the mapping routine. Please, none of that rectangle map construction ala Delorme SAHH for me thanks. I just want all the maps available at all times.
3. Fast route and reroute generation.
4. Clear voice guidance.
5. 3D map guidance
6. Ability to plan routes on the pc and download them to the PPC. Is there a standard exchange format?
7. Big finger menu navigation on the PPC touch screen.
8. Very high contrast map display.

And of course the assumed function... accurate maps, ease of use, multiple route storage.

Garmin's Mobile 10 software and GPS receiver will do all this for you.

Torrance, CA
HTC Advantage X7501 (AT&T)
Go to Top of Page

obsolete_power

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 29 sept. 2007 :  08:11:45  Show Profile  Visit obsolete_power's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello, I just bought an ASUS MyPal A639 with GPS and would like to install nav software on it. It should have USA and Canada maps, good POIs and speakable street names (for example: Turn right onto 5th avenue). Thank you in advance!
Go to Top of Page

andye

6 Posts

Posted - 12 janv. 2008 :  14:55:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No one seems to have posted here in a while. I just purchased Teletype WorldNav Premium for my iPaq hx2795b with Qstarz BT-Q1000 for street navigation. It is a very recent build, version 5.01038L. I use Backcountry Navigator for topo and satellite image maps.

WorldNav Premium has been installed just a few days, but I really like it. Spoken street names, very fast rerouting immediately after turning in a different direction, multiple methods for routing, optional ferries, highway, toll road preferences, along with shortest, quickest, or walking routes. Uses TeleAtlas maps which were updated in 10/07 at Teletype. Their 13-million yellow pages POI is pretty cool, routing by phone number, type of place, fragment of name, etc. Support has been great so far, and I may share more info about this product after using it for a bit.

Backcountry Navigator is an awesome PDA topo mapping program. You can get a PC version that eases map generation, printing, exporting, etc. Support is excellent and development is very active and forward-thinking. A good forum site for the product as well. I can't recommend this product enough! I will share more on this, too.

Both of these are inexpensive - certainly in comparative terms. Just wanted to get a bit here on these products - very deserving spot for them!
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 12 janv. 2008 :  23:49:53  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good to hear Teletype is still around and finally improving, they've made many a user unhappy over the years, see the numerous feedback in the forums.

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

FreeAgent

Canada
157 Posts

Posted - 25 mars 2008 :  14:34:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a look at the Teletype website. I was puzzled that they said their software was compatible with my iPaq 3600 series but elsewhere it said it needed PPC2003 (which cannot be used on the 3670 iPaq).

Another problem I saw, was that the map files are large and they suggest loading just one state or perhaps major roads only. With iGuidance 2.1, I can load Eastern Canada and most Eastern states onto a CF card and it will switch automatically between maps as well as navigate across the whole chosen area. They have no POIS for Canada.I liked their marine software in that they have implemented vector charts for the PPC, but have no Canadian charts.

I guess I am still stuck with iGuidance 2.1 - Unless I can get Odyssey to install and even then will have to buy annual map upgrades because theirs expire after 12 months.

Any other ideas on mapping software that will run on PPC2002 on an iPaq 3670 (64MB with double CF sleeve with extra battery plus additional SD slot on Haicom CF GPS)
Go to Top of Page

negentropy

France
7 Posts

Posted - 27 mars 2008 :  23:30:34  Show Profile  Visit negentropy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello,

I have been trying tomtom and Miomaps and Navigon Mobile navigator 6, and here is what I think:

It seems the tendency of the market is to provide more reality like type of software, and I think this is useless and even counter productive for the purpose of guiding.

Miomaps & igo: I do not understand what pleases people about it.

The real looking 3d is a gadget just prone to move your attention away from the road, the road which IS the place where you should take your accurate information from (speed limits !) and where your attention must be focussed.
And not a stupid lousy --and narrative to the point of being boring-- GPS software whose maps will anyway be outdated (making a map is no real time process, count a good number of months between data compiling and the map is in your hands).

It seems these softs tend to try to take the place of the real world, by providing a "closer as possible" visual model, to the expense of readability and simplicity, but their only purpose is to serve as maps and a map is not the reality ! A map is a simplification of the reality, in order to provide useful synoptic information. In these terms you are much better helped with a larger screen with more definition than with a software providing more realistic 3d view with buildings and relief at the same resolution ! There is NO way that any map any where on this planet will have a degree of confidence close to reality, simply because it is a map, and need to be built, and that this is done by humans, prone to errors and takes time. The best you can get is the latest version, whether it is a marine card, topo card or car navigation road, we have to accept that. The downside is that NO data from a map shall be considered as accurate, and therefore a GPS system telling you what is the road signalisation or speed limit is a silly idea, because you will with certainty have to face conflicting information, at moments where it is not desired to have to make an additional choice, or having to check additional verbal or audible data.

Exactely, what is the point of including buildings, elevations that will hide your next navigational change, except for looking more real, and needing more hardware, therefore maintaining and artificial hardware escalation? Specially if the bastard apparel cannot still be updated with POI I collected now and there without having a master in computer science , or if I cannot import or export traces, points and routes.

When the help becomes a burden because it needs more attention than just the job it is meant to assist, there is a problem ! If that is where GPS navigation software is going, as it seems to be the case, then it is the wrong direction.

Yeah, sure all software warn about this, that the information is not absolute, you shall not divert your attention to the GPS while driving, etc.., but that is not what you will keep in mind in case of emergency because it WILL divert your attention if it is what it has been wrongly designed to do. BTW this is exactly like selling cigarettes packs with on it written "smoking kills".

I have read in these very forums comments like "tomtom is a good and easy software, but it will need to pickup on the graphics and functions to compete with the more recent igo and other Navigon real-view (trademark !) I read this as the comment of an insider which has lost some contact with the reality. I do not agree at all. The future is not in adding more feature whose real added value is extremely doubtful, but in simplifying the interfaces to the maximum so that my 80 years old mother can use it wearing boxing gloves, and that when I use it, it helps me focus my attention on the driving or the walking, depending the situation, yet providing the information I asked for (and NOT MORE) when it is needed (and NOT mumbling for hours).

Like in any software, companies are going to try to pack more and more, in order to sell better, they will ask their developers "what can we add to be more attractive and sell better than the concurrents" , and these guys coming from 3d games development will add more 3d stuff, and it will attract the game console players, for sure. While a more real look may be desired for 3D console games, I do not think it is good nor desired for driving. The question is: is it safer or more dangerous to attract your attention out of the road, or should the soft enable you to focus more on the road ? This looks to me like a bad tendency.

At least tomtom is discrete, and does what is needed, not more, not less, but does it well, no need for fancy graphics, clouds in the sky, fog or relief modelling, or endless feminine instructions that just call for a "shutup b****"! Don't tell me what is the speed limit or the road panels, because I MUST know them from the very action of driving, and when I missed one, I noticed that I am, in my region, better guessing than following the GPS's idea of it!

Just a reflection from a software guy which is external to the market, and to the passion, as I consider this just a tool, and what it runs as software, developed by humans which are known to be easily mislead, and companies, companies, motivated by... well profit, ... isn't that the respectful term for greed ! ah ah ah

sorry for the ramble, I feel better now

http://outdoors-magazine.com

Edited by - negentropy on 28 mars 2008 12:20:09
Go to Top of Page

DrRoger

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 27 avr. 2008 :  17:50:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agreed this thread seems awfully quiet! I've ordered iGuidance 4.0 trial software which is a 14 day trial. Have to see how it works. Someone on this forum said that it was awfully slow, until he unchecked the "encrypt data card" and then the program was lightning fast. I've seen a great review of Oncourse Navigator 6.0 on pocketnow.com. That website did not have a good review of CoPilot. Looks like when OnCourse Navigator releases 8.0 that would be worth looking at. When my trial iguidance comes I'll post back....
Roger
Go to Top of Page

leek

23 Posts

Posted - 29 avr. 2008 :  10:30:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, it has been quiet.

It's almost as if Pocket PC GPS software has stagnated or disappeared.

I'm guessing this is due to two forces: More affordable self-contained or "all-in-one" units, and built-in GPSes on PDAs and smartphones, with OEM GPS software (which people use without knowing anything better exists).

I'm using CoPilot 6, since I've found nothing better so far which works with WM5 (I've tried at least 6 programs -- TTN, OCN5, CPL5/6/7, iGuidance).

CoPilot 6 has intermittent problems with its TTS sometimes working and sometimes not (probably a storage card issue), and CPL6's maps are ancient and spotty in places, but otherwise it gets the job done. CPL7 removed TTS completely, and has an even more complicated menu interface.

The new Teletype software might be worth looking into. Teletype, and CoPilot until CPL7, struck me as more "verbal" than "visual" -- more cerebral -- more left-brained than right-brained -- in both form and function, which I like. Being able to easily enter destinations and plan routes precisely (not with some "fuzzy" logic that tries to second-guess you, or which requires you to input imprecise details in order for it to figure out precise ones), and getting TTS directions fast, and being able to instantly recover from off-course, are all more important than visual appearance.

As a fellow software developer, I agree with negentropy in general (but not necessarily about TomTom, which I have not tried). 3d view is unnecessary. TTS is essential (eye-free GPS, just like hands-free phones), and up-to-date maps are important. That's why CPL7 is a step backwards from CPL6. Despite all the complaints about CPL5 not looking "nice" enough graphics-wise, it was more functional than most others of its day, because it was focused on driving, and not on visual maps with street names and fancy views. CPL6 maintains most of CPL5, but at some cost of usability (more complicated menus). CPL7 ruins it. ALK blew it (there is almost no discussion of CPL7 here since its original release).

As the price of gas rises, GPS programs could either become more important (as fuel-saving tools), or less important (because driving to places where a GPS would help will become a luxury).
Go to Top of Page

turbocycle

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 30 avr. 2008 :  07:43:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spot on Leek. I'm quite disappointed with the trend to move away from TTS. (IGO/OCN8 and CPL7 come to mind).

I still prefer having the GPS on my belt - it's more portable than the AIO solutions and more flexible (I can't imagine lugging around an AOI while geocaching).

I say ditch the 3D and give me TTS any day!

I'm tempted to try the internet-based solutions such as TeleNav or Mobium to get TTS, but I just know that I won't get internet the one time that I really need it.
Go to Top of Page

garryn

4 Posts

Posted - 01 mai 2008 :  12:44:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Having tried TomTom (a lot of 'new' Europe missing), the Garmin nuvi 660 (bad routing engine but lovely display) and iGo software on an HP Traveller PDA I must say say that the iGo software is the best of the lot, with fast scrolling and very clear navigation - also covers most countries. The only problem is buying the software as their restrictive marketing stops many selling it outside of eastern Europe a problem, so it is not easy to find (not everyone can pop into the shop in Batslava!). However if you can get it do - it's by far the best I've found.

garry
Go to Top of Page

DrRoger

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 03 mai 2008 :  15:15:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by turbocycle

I say ditch the 3D and give me TTS any day!

The guys over at ONC say that they got serous memory issues trying to run TTS. Its time Windows Mobile devices were sold with 256 MB memory. Indeed, I have a VZ Touch with 128 MB and its just about OK...I cannot imagine how people who own a 6800 or i760 manage, with only 64MB. Sheeeeesh; this day and age, selling phones with such measly memory!
Go to Top of Page

DrRoger

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 03 mai 2008 :  15:21:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leek

Wow, it has been quiet. It's almost as if Pocket PC GPS software has stagnated or disappeared.

How about Garmin XT for mobile? The 2009 maps have just been released, I was told 3 days ago by someone at Garmin. Online stores probably don't yet have the latest. That's one thing bad about buying software in April....you just might miss the latest released by a month, then have to pay $70 to upgrade. Software makers ought to have a 90 day grace period.

I'd like to purchase some kind of GPS software as I have a Delorme BT-20 receiver. Have narrowed it down to ONC, Garmin XT, and iGuidance, in that order of preference. Going to wait for ONC-8 before buying it based on a 30 day moneyback guarantee. I understand ONC-8 is to be released this month.
Go to Top of Page

leek

23 Posts

Posted - 05 juin 2008 :  07:09:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have not tried the XT, but I tried a nuvi 750 and was pleased with the local routing, but not pleased with the GPS lock-in time, compared to my Globalsat BT-338.

See: http://www.amazon.com/750-VS-660/forum/Fx21O75FHZJ4BCJ/Tx5XK4UK2885TM/1/ref=cm_cd_et_md_pl?%5Fencoding=UTF8&cdMsgNo=1&s=electronics&asin=B000UXDFN6&store=electronics&cdSort=oldest&cdMsgID=Mx1G2EDK1Q7S6A3#Mx1G2EDK1Q7S6A3
Go to Top of Page

leek

23 Posts

Posted - 05 juin 2008 :  07:32:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DrRoger
I cannot imagine how people who own a 6800 or i760 manage, with only 64MB. Sheeeeesh; this day and age, selling phones with such measly memory!

I remember the 6800, and the 6809, with 64 KB of addressable RAM. I programmed on the CoCo 3 (GIME more RAM!!!).

There is no way in hell that 64 MB of RAM is a strain on TTS.

I have an Odyssey^2 video console with Voice! TTS chip, which in 1979 could play Smithereens!, Type and Tell!, K.C.'s Krazy Chase!, Attack of the Timelords! (and its clone J.G. Munchkin!), all of which produced synthesized voice without as much as 8K of ROM.

With only 512K of RAM, 64K addressable at a time, I could write a program to record 1 minute of audio, using only an analog joystick as the input.

Don't tell me about memory!!!

[:)
Go to Top of Page

pharmdude08

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 30 juil. 2008 :  06:17:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi I'm looking for a Navigation software that tells the side of the street of the destination...

Mio C220
Unlock -Waiting for 4 gig SD
Go to Top of Page

TzouR

93 Posts

Posted - 07 août 2008 :  21:17:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
iGuidance does.. Current version is 4.0.2 with the next (2009 iGuidance, for PPC) to appear in August/September.
Go to Top of Page

frankenbike

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 09 août 2008 :  05:57:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a Sprint Mogul. I'm looking for software that:
1. Can be installed to an existing 8gb card, not locked to its own absurdly small card.
2. Can use the internal GPS on my phone (Google Maps works fine)
3. Has traffic available when a data connection is available
4. Will still function when there is no data connection available (unlike Google Maps)

It's very frustrating that Garmin XT is card dependent. As if there is no other reason to have data on your phone/PDA when you're using GPS. The services offered by Sprint are data connection dependent.

I'm told that Garmin's (Mobile 10) software requires using their GPS to work and is not available without the GPS receiver. Not acceptable either.

Thanks

FB

Edited by - frankenbike on 10 août 2008 18:02:35
Go to Top of Page

nstocke

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 13 août 2008 :  08:17:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am interested in opinions on which Navteq Map based GPS software seems to keep the most up to date with North America maps. I was satisfied with Destinator until a recent trip to the eastern united states and I was given incorrect turn advise due to the maps being two years old. I am looking for a software to replace Destinator. I do like TTS and would like something that covers plenty of POIs.

Suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

Edited by - nstocke on 13 août 2008 08:26:11
Go to Top of Page

Stormswift

1 Posts

Posted - 09 oct. 2008 :  01:50:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Pocketmap Navigator may be back. They have not upgraded in a longest time and most people who had their software moved on. I checked today looking for GPS software for my HX2755 and it looks like they have a new version. If it is anything like the previous one I am getting it. Tehre was nothing wrong wiht the previous version except maps were too old.

Good girls go to heaven,
Bad girls go to hell
Girls with GPS go any where they want
Go to Top of Page

sawman

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 16 oct. 2008 :  20:21:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is the Inav iGuidance 2009 Pocket PC(PDA) version available yet? Thanks
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 16 oct. 2008 :  20:23:03  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nope, ETA has been pushed back to December it seems.

@Stormswift - got a link for the new PMN ?

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

leek

23 Posts

Posted - 12 nov. 2008 :  16:17:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like iGuidance 2009 will start being card-locked like almost everyone else, but at least they allow upgrades to 8 GB cards:

http://inavcorp.com/gps-software-news/?p=89

That leaves Teletype World Navigator as the only current PocketPC navigation software that has TTS and is not locked to a specific memory card:

http://www.teletype.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=Software

But I have no idea how up-to-date TTWN maps are, since I have not tried it recently. I suspect they are no current than CoPilot's.

CoPilot Live 7 dropped TTS. Right now I'm using CPL6 on my HTC Touch HD. The maps are very old. I use a Garmin 680 AIO in my car.

OCN8 is card-locked, and TTS is only available by special request:

http://www.oncoursenavigator.com/forum/default.aspx?f=10&m=6858

It's too bad that in the history of GPS software, there hasn't been an open standard for map data, so that map data and navigation software can be obtained and maintained separately. It's probably for the same reasons that maps are locked to cards now -- to discourage piracy.
Go to Top of Page

BK111968

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 10 déc. 2008 :  14:59:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I-Guidance 2009 will be locked onto a pathetic 4GB or 8GB card (I'm currently running a 16GB microsd card in my Verizon XV-6800) and currently have about 11GB of memory in usage, due to this fact I won't be ordering 2009 which is a real shame since I liked IGuidance to begin with. If they had released the software onto a 16gb option or given the customer the option of sending in thier own 16gb card to have the software loaded then I would have placed an order.

I seriously wonder what they are going to do since the 16GB cards are now on the market (Amazon sells them) and people may start picking those cards over the lower capacity ones.

Edited by - BK111968 on 10 déc. 2008 15:00:49
Go to Top of Page

sawman

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 10 déc. 2008 :  15:52:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you inquired of Inav if they would accomodate you? I'm sure many of their customers are like me and don't have hardware that will address more than 4gb(nor do most currently have the need). Why should they add $30+ to the cost for everyone for 16gb just to please you?
Go to Top of Page

BK111968

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 10 déc. 2008 :  23:21:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, I have asked them about sending in my 16GB card and they won't handle it. Most of the newer hardware today will support cards over 8gb so should owners of those devices be reduced to using a smaller sdcard with the IGuidance program on it just to please people whose hardware can't handle it?

Also - notice that it's either a 4Gig or 8Gig card, is that figure before the program is preloaded or after. IGuidance 4.0.2 reduced an 8Gb card down to about 6 when I got done adding it.

I'm not trying to start any flame wars or anything since I will admit IGuidance is a great program and the customer service is top notch but there should be an option available for people to be able to either send in a 16gb card or offer the program on 4,8 or 16gb with price points to match. I'd pay more for IGuidance 2009 on 16gb card.

Go to Top of Page

sawman

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 11 déc. 2008 :  00:40:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to agree with you BK. If I were in your shoes I'd hope they'd be willing to work with me! I'm not really happy with the price to upgrade since I purchased just a year ago...
Go to Top of Page

TzouR

93 Posts

Posted - 12 déc. 2008 :  19:02:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would second to what gpspassion suggested in another tread, that they (iGuidance) should consider putting new releases/updates on DVD but requiring activations online.. It may not be as "anti-pirating" as locking to a stock SD, but it will attract many customers who have either bigger SDs or internal drives. Would IG consider this approach more seriously while most of heavy players/competitors are locking their releases to stock SDs?

Edited by - TzouR on 12 déc. 2008 19:05:56
Go to Top of Page

Jim1348

USA
540 Posts

Posted - 06 janv. 2009 :  02:03:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just bought Garmin Mobile XT very recently and one of the nice things for me is that it is compatible with files that I already had for my Garmin StreetPilot 2730 automobile unit. I like to visit http://www.poi-factory.com/ and I already had a number of POI files on my computers. I also have MapSource with Favorites and was a able to download those to my phone with Garmin Mobile XT very quickly. POI Factory has POI files in either .CSV or .GPX formats. OCN8 looks very nice, also. I miss not having TTS on Garmin Mobile XT, but perhaps they will offer it in a future edition. I must say that the Garmin Online feature is also handy. I am not sure if others have something similar to that or not.
Go to Top of Page

rem

USA
197 Posts

Posted - 08 janv. 2009 :  23:08:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WTF, I've been a faithful iGuidance user since beta 1.0 and they can stuff themselves for locking to a freaking card. I too use the largest cards possible (currently 16G) and don't and won't be swapping cards in the field. Guess I'll stick with v4 till I can find a replacement, MFs!
Go to Top of Page

Alexo

Canada
160 Posts

Posted - 18 mars 2009 :  20:10:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What are the current recommendations for navigation software to run on a PDA/smartphone ?

I'm looking for something that:
- Has accurate maps (preferably regular updates) and quick+optimal route calculations in Canada & USA
- Has TTS
- Good utilization of screen real estate (upcoming devices will have 3"-4" WVGA)

Suggestions?

By the way, does any nav software support traffic updates on devices with an FM receiver?

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

gamemonkey

3 Posts

Posted - 22 mai 2009 :  22:01:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought an HTC Diamond a few months ago and figured I should make use of the built in GPS chip. Might as well since I have my phone with me always, and don't want to have to carry an extra GPS device around. I am looking for software that doesn't require an extra SD card because my Diamond doesn't have an SD card slot.

I've been looking around the web and found there's quite a few softwares out there that will run on my phone (Windows Mobile Professional). I found that some softwares offer free trials, which I found to be quite useful because you can never tell how well something works from screenshots or even videos. Plus, I can make sure it functions properly on my phone before I pull out my wallet.

I tried out this trial by 3DVU www.3dvu.com called navi2go. Their screen shots look pretty cool with 3D terrain and airphoto, so I downloaded their trial to my phone. However, I found the trial to be quite limited. It only allows me to go along a preset route. Other features such as address/poi search are locked out, and I couldn't fly around to other places. The graphics look great, but I can't actually test it as a gps navigation system unless I pay for a subscription.

Another one I came across is Urban Horizon by Novlum www.novlummobile.com. They offer a 14-day trial. So, I loaded this on my phone and found it was a fully functional trial. Although this navi doesn't have airphoto like the other one, it has landmark building models, building footprints and 3D terrain. The data streams from the server but I can also choose to download it to my phone. This way I don't have to keep using my dataplan. The UI is appealing and quite intuitive and the software runs fast and smooth on my device.

Anyone have any other suggestions of software I should try? Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Enrique Muyshondt

USA
409 Posts

Posted - 22 mai 2009 :  22:49:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use TomTom Navigator on my AT&T Tilt/8925 (HTC TyTN) and I like it. Unfortunately they seem to have discontinued support for generic Windows Mobile devices. I thought there was a Version 7 for the HTC Diamond but perhaps it is only through a specific carrier. I did read recently that you can find TomTom Navigator 6 on eBay for about $25.00 so that would be a cheap interim solution until something better comes along. The maps are only a couple of years old so should be usable for a while.TomTom doesn't require an SD card and you can download specific regions so you don't take up all the memory of the phone.

Edited by - Enrique Muyshondt on 23 mai 2009 12:51:34
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 23 mai 2009 :  00:20:07  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Don't buy $25 TomTom 7 versions on eBay, they can only be pirated versions, the software having never been sold separately unlike TomTom 6. The good news is that with the latest version of TomTom HOME (downloadable from the TomTom site) you now get offered the option to download the latest v7 software and you ca then buy the maps on the TomTom site. It works in Europe for sure.

CoPilot also have a Diamond version and Navigon are offering a free trial, but only with European maps possibly.

Go to Top of Page

Enrique Muyshondt

USA
409 Posts

Posted - 23 mai 2009 :  12:50:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry it wasn't clear, but I meant TomTom Navigator 6, not 7. I agree V7 would likely be a pirated version. I've clarified my post now.

I'll have to try with TomTom Home again. I haven't been online with it for a while. It would be great news if I can now get Version 7 and new maps. Are you saying that V7 is available for all phones or just the Diamond?

Edited by - Enrique Muyshondt on 23 mai 2009 12:52:52
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 23 mai 2009 :  14:14:15  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just the Diamond and Diamond Pro, keep us posted on getting the software via TTH and buying US maps.

Go to Top of Page

Alexo

Canada
160 Posts

Posted - 23 mai 2009 :  17:15:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How about the new HTC Touch Pro?
Go to Top of Page

AllanRogers

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 25 mai 2009 :  21:38:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I have got a Locosys BGT-31 for speed sailing on windsurfers. Trouble with shoulder means I have only used to record cycle tracks and some ski runs.

I would like to pair it with my SPV M600 PDA and get some navigation software for the PDA so I can use it as a Sat Nav device.

I have been surfing forums for hours but still no wiser.

Would you be able to give me some advice?

Regards,

Allan

Allan
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 25 mai 2009 :  22:03:02  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
SPV M600 = QTEK S200 so pretty much any software discussed here would do the trick. There are trial versions of PolNav, ZorroGPS or MN|7 so you can try before you buy.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2015_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 3,67 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05