Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 1953

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Software
 PDA and Smartphone Road Navigation Software
 What Software To Buy ?
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 19

moonkat

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 21 janv. 2003 :  09:10:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello fellow gps navigators,
I too am working towards a reasonable/best solution for portable auto navigation. I have two handheld mapping gps, but want the autoroute capability.

Just got an Axim PDA and plan on getting a Holux 270 CF gps. My finalists for software are Destinator (if available as software only) and Mapopolis.

Comments re software and suggestions for where to get Destinator software are welcome.

Jeff in Muddy(and cold)land, USA
Go to Top of Page

ghirsh

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 21 janv. 2003 :  15:01:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Having used both Destinator and Mapopolis (as well as Pocket CoPilot and Teletype) I would recommend Mapopolis. Here's my evaluation of these applications.

1. Mapopolis is an excellent application for the amount of time it has been available. It's maps are very accurate, and the screen is easy to read and understand at a glance. The interface could use a little polish, but from a purely functional standpoint, it's great. Mapopolis plans to (so I've heard) upgrade the application frequently. Maybe even quarterly. For the price, Mapopolis offers the most.

2. Destinator is okay, but if you want to make long trips you will have to stop at some point and load a new map since you can only have one map loaded at a time. The re-routing feature is pretty slow as well. If you need it in city driving forget it. The interface is nicely done. At $199 for the software only, it's a bit too steep.

3. Pocket CoPilot is on par with destinator except their map management is much better. The interface is easy to read and manage. Where CoPilot falls short is in there map data. You can almost guarantee that it will have you making a left turn on a divided highway. I have also experienced it showing me an arrow to go left and the voice telling me to go right! Not too good. You also have to buy their GPS unit even though there are several superior models out there.

4. Teletype is by far the worst GPS application I have seen. In case I wasn't clear on that point, frankly it stinks! Maps are not accurate, the voice is scratchy and hard to hear, and the communication with the GPS is iffy. It goes for $99, but it is not worth $9.

Hope this helps

quote:
Originally posted by moonkat

Hello fellow gps navigators,
I too am working towards a reasonable/best solution for portable auto navigation. I have two handheld mapping gps, but want the autoroute capability.

Just got an Axim PDA and plan on getting a Holux 270 CF gps. My finalists for software are Destinator (if available as software only) and Mapopolis.

Comments re software and suggestions for where to get Destinator software are welcome.

Jeff in Muddy(and cold)land, USA

GH
Go to Top of Page

ruffcutts

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 21 janv. 2003 :  22:00:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In reference to a much earlier post, can the Navman 3420 be switched between SiRF and NMEA? From what I understand both the Co-Pilot and Navman use a SiRF chip set. The Co-Pilot uses the SiRF output while the Navman uses the more standard NMEA?

The consensus seems to be that the Destinator and Mapopolis software is a viable alternative for those not satisfied with the Co-Pilot or SmartST Pro software. Is the Destinator and Mapopolis software NMEA compliant making it compatible with the Navman sleeve only?

Also, the mapping data supplied for SmartST Pro is said to be the same as that used in all vehicles purchased with integrated GPS ( US ). I wonder if that alone would be a huge factor in how quickly the maps are updated and refined? It just seems like common sense would dictate that the automobile industry would mandate current updates to keep the feature selling. If so, wouldn't this improve upon the rerouting programming along with other features?

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93786 Posts

Posted - 21 janv. 2003 :  23:06:19  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, the Navman receiver can be switched between SiRF and NMEA although now that Destinator works well in NMEA mode I can't really think of a situation where you'd need to be in SiRF.

You can read the SmartST Pro review on the site to get more details.

email: info@gpspassion.com
Go to Top of Page

ruffcutts

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 22 janv. 2003 :  07:56:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the reply. I found the SmartST Pro review to be very informative. I'll also read further about the Destinator software. Do these programs by chance share the same map database? Does any software share this? If so, would a list be available?

I'm also interested in finding out if any sleeve or CF type receiver may use WAAS. If so, would this require a separate program to manipulate the function?

Thanks again!
Go to Top of Page

eugeneflim

25 Posts

Posted - 22 janv. 2003 :  12:42:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All,

What Mapopolis subscription would you recommend? I am somewhat confused by the variety of options

Thanks,
Eugene

Edited by - eugeneflim on 22 janv. 2003 12:43:10
Go to Top of Page

ACz

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 23 janv. 2003 :  01:41:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello from a GPS newbie.

I think I would like to get one combination of hardware/software that would work with BOTH my laptop and my iPAQ. I use the iPAQ dual PCMCIA card expansion sleeve for my wLAN card plus a CF card in a PCMCIA adapter. So I figured that there would be a GPS product with a PCMCIA card that I would be able to slide into EITHER computer (laptop or PDA).
If there is no such solution at this time, the reviews here are making me lean toward the current Pocket Copilot Jacket with the new sleeve at $350 while they are still offering to throw in the external antenna. I guess then the laptop is used only to download maps to the iPAQ, and the navigation software would run only on the iPAQ?

I notice on the TravRoute site, if I am reading this correctly, that the Pocket Copilot 3.0 GPS Jacket Edition lists for $349, whereas the Copilot 2003 price is $399 - that is the opposite of what I would have expected. Is there any difference between the CoPilot software running under Win 98 and running under PocketPC 2002?
Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

ve7mdt

Canada
170 Posts

Posted - 23 janv. 2003 :  17:46:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have used Mapopolis on Palm, w/ Platinum map, so far so good. Glad to hear it's good on PocketPC too.

For Point of Interests, Microsoft Pocket Streets has that, although not searchable like in Streets and Trips or MapPoint. With no alternative, may be you can use Pocket Streets to get some POI (again, in the Canada map selection, there isn't much to choose from, so for those who don't like Microsoft or Pocket Streets, well, think about our small selections here).

Delorme and Microsoft have good POI data.

I just tried Pocket Streets from the S&T 2003, and I can understand why gpspassion said it's not much of a GPS software. I thought it has routing and it didn't. So this is not a CE version of S&T, it's very different, besides the maps and POIs.

But for the price, there isn't a comparison, Microsoft is very cheap, even before the rebate. So I'm not complaining.

Garmin Legend, Venture (eTrex just sold)
Rand McNally "mouse", Palm III (x2), modified for IIIc (not working now, needs troubleshoot)
Clarion AutoPC GPS Odessey 2000
Magellan Springboard GPS on Visor 2MB
Holux GM-270 (coming soon) on Toshiba e740 (coming soon)
eTrex or Rand McNally mouse for laptop running Delorme Deluxe, or MapPoint 2002 w/ AGPS, or Delorme AAA Map'n'Go 7.0 . Also tried many others.
Go to Top of Page

airborneGPS

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 24 févr. 2003 :  00:46:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've heard alot of talk about the map options that Mapopolis offers as being yearly subscriptions, but on all the items they feature on their online maps page, they all say "no expiration".

http://www.mapopolis.com/home.jsp?s=1045979660031433&p=&q=64826.587877190366

Do I understand this correctly to mean that Navigator is a one time purchase now?
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93786 Posts

Posted - 24 févr. 2003 :  00:56:56  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
you can check the Mapopolis sections, but the way it works is that you can download as many maps for a year (or by the CD version) and then pay to get updated maps that they normally release every 6 months, in which case you get a full year again.

email: info@gpspassion.com
Go to Top of Page

airborneGPS

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 24 févr. 2003 :  02:05:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So after the year it's not like the maps you have will stop working, you just won't be able to download any other maps or updates for those you have when the year is up? Is this how it works? How are you limited to 20 million population. If you have downloaded maps that have a population of 20 mil, does it mean that you for the rest of the year cannot get any others besides updates of the ones you already have?
Go to Top of Page

paulkbiba

USA
5064 Posts

Posted - 24 févr. 2003 :  02:26:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your maps will continue to work. You just won't be able to download any updates to them. The 20 million thing is a bit confusing, but as I understand it, when you load the maps onto your machine you can't call up multiple maps if the population total of all the maps loaded in RAM is 20 million. You can call them up singly.

Go to Top of Page

airborneGPS

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 24 févr. 2003 :  06:25:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know that at this link, someone had compiled the sizes in MBs of all the different states, but where do you find the population of each state?
If this is how their limitation works, why didn't they use a certain MB size as opposed to something like population? How is this really a problem in usage. Doesn't really sound like it's a problem.

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=814
Go to Top of Page

moonkat

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 25 févr. 2003 :  15:14:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
airborne:
Not a problem...see GPS Passion review and ratings....but a little inconvenient for cross country routing.

See my comments at topic this forum:
http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=802

If that's what it takes to maintain Mapopolis blazing speed for screen refresh, zooming, panning & routing/rerouting....no problem.

Go to Top of Page

admin_0

1 Posts

Posted - 07 mars 2003 :  13:19:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TimGPS,

I just joined the forum, sorry if this is to late.

For a Topo solution I like OziExplorer. It uses DRG maps. I live in Georgia and I got all of the 24k, 100k and 250k maps free by down loading from Georgia Tech's data clearing house. There are many free sources of maps if you know where to look.

Ozi has a PC 2-D & 3-D as well as a PPC solution. I've used Ozi for about 2 years now and have been very happy with it. Upgrades are free and revisions(improvements) come out at a reasonable rate. The cost is very reasonable also. Check them out. www.oziexplorer.com

I hope this helps.

Don

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 19 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1,84 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05