Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2265

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - General
 General Questions and Discussions
 GPS Around the World - Part ... (you decide) !
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 15 oct. 2004 :  18:46:02  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote

THE GPS AROUND THE WORLD "FILE"

On of the best hings about GPS is that it knows no borders, wherever you are on earth, you can rely on more than a third of the 28 satellites orbiting the earth. This new "GPS around the World" file will share GPS experiences outside of the classic North America/Western Europe areas as well as the World Map Database.

Kicking off the series are igurevich38's comprehensive dual Road Software / Off-Road Software articles about GPS Assisted Navigation in Israel. For road software he used the local version of Destinator 3 and his off-road software was OziExplorer.

We have Australia lined up and if you would like to join in the fun from your part of the world, drop a line here!

Ads

wavshrdr

USA
152 Posts

Posted - 17 oct. 2004 :  01:41:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll be glad to participate. I am an American but I've traveled quite a bit outside of the US. I have used my GPS in quite a few different countries. I used my GPS's in Western Europe as well as Eastern Europe such as Ukraine, Poland and Russia (even as far as Siberia).

Unfortunately using a GPS in Russia is risky if you aren't a Russian legal resident. It is also difficult to come by GPS maps and software for Russian if you are not within Russia. I speak, read and write pretty good Russian so I was able to seek out a few "electronic markets" where I was able to pick up the appropriate software I needed. I didn't find any that catered to English speakers.

Ukraine is similar to Russia but I had absolutely no success tracking down any GPS maps or software. I heard of a company called Visicom but I couldn't find a vendor quickly in Kiev. It was also quite spendy from what I saw too. Supposedly it would provide routing. If you just need maps, Handmap is a choice for Ukraine. As a last resort you can try the terrible Garmin maps for the Soviet Union. I can personally attest to the fact that they are incredibly inaccurate at times. I was on the Crimean peninsula high on a mountain and my Garmin map said I should be floating somewhere in the Black Sea!

Most of these maps don't provide any sort of routing. This won't be a big help if you want to drive. However if you WANT to drive in Ukraine and Russian I suggest you get your head examined first. This not for the weak-hearted and you better understand Russian at least a little bit and carry lots of bribe money or items with you. I could write a book based on my travels in the former Soviet Union but it has always been interesting and a GPS definitely adds to the enjoyment.

My experience in Europe has been frustrating to say the least while using PrymeNav. Good maps but you can't route very far. I posted in detail in another thread.

Hopefully this thread will provide benefit to others on this forum.

-TIM
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 17 oct. 2004 :  01:51:55  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, your recent European experience is something I had in mind for the series ;-) Didn't realize you'd done some GPS travelling in Easter Europe too. If you find time at some point to add some details, links and pics/capture (from the sites of the editors if need be) that would make for a great page in the series I'm sure !

wavshrdr

USA
152 Posts

Posted - 17 oct. 2004 :  04:47:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I could add a few thousand photos if you want. At last count I have taken over 7,000 photos while in Eastern Europe. I have a few shots of my GPS while in Siberia. I tried to keep the GPS hidden so I wouldn't get arrested.

I do have some pretty interesting photos of Warsaw, Kiev, Crimea, Moscow, St. Petersburg, Kizhi and a lot from Siberia.

As for traveling with GPS routing software I recently had a chance to try Tom Tom while in Europe. When I have time I may compare and contrast Tom Tom with PrymeNav V2.0. The more I am involved with routing software the more I realize it is essential to have more than 1 type of routing software. In the US I keep 3 on my Toshiba 805 (glad it has a lot of ram ) My last trip in Europe used both Tom Tom and PrymeNav. At times I would have welcomed even a 3rd program. Actually in a way I did as I had the BMW Nav system as well.

I took 2 CF GPS's with me (in case I lost one) and one was a SIRF2 model and the other had WAAS capability. I wanted to be sure I had all options covered. I also took my BT slipper in case I couldn't plug in my PDA.

-TIM
Go to Top of Page

igurevich38

USA
764 Posts

Posted - 17 oct. 2004 :  05:47:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the World Map Database I posted a bunch of software for Russia and Ukraine for GPS navigation. MOst of the m can be obtained while in the US. And as far as raster maps, you can download them for all of Ukraine and most of Russia.

Can you please post about the legal aspect of GPS in Russia. I wasn't aware of the fact that it's not legal for non residents.

By the way, I am supposed to go to Shanghai, China in early 2005. I am not planning on driving (I can'r read or speak Chinese), but I still want to try the GPS at least for walking and sitting in the back of a cab. So far I have a raster calibrated map of Shanghai, but nothing with navigation that's in English. If anyone has any experiences from there I would like to hear about it.
Go to Top of Page

lamar@mapopolis.com

USA
2508 Posts

Posted - 17 oct. 2004 :  15:27:37  Show Profile  Visit lamar@mapopolis.com's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, igurevich38,

We sometimes get inquires from Chinese customers about the US and European maps, and many of them say they are using MapKing from MapAsia.com. According to this page, you can download a trial map of select cities.

http://www.mapasia.com/mapking/download.asp

And this page says that their software is triligual:

http://www2.mapking.com/en/

Lamar

If water really were the universal solvent, we would all fall apart.
Go to Top of Page

wavshrdr

USA
152 Posts

Posted - 17 oct. 2004 :  18:41:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With respect to Russian GPS use you have to jump through a lot of documents to legally bring a GPS into Russia. An American was arrested a few years ago for using a GPS near a Russian governmental facility.

It is very easy to be in violation of the Russian law and therefore use your GPS illegally. Almost no one does it properly as the Russian system is so complicated that I gave up on trying to do it legally. They make is seem like a straightforward process but trying to get answers from them is very difficult and time consuming. I wasted almost an entire day while in Moscow trying to get all the forms I needed to use my GPS legally.

Here is the link from the US State Dept. website:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/gps.html

In the end I decided to use my PDA with a GPS card stuffed in it. From time to time I was stopped by the Russian militsiya (police) when they tried to shake me down for a few rubles for some sort of alleged violation (normally visa) and they never said anything about my PDA/GPS combo. On one occassion they did confiscate my friend's Garmin as it was easily recognizable as a GPS. They offered my friend a choice he couldn't refuse, go to jail or give up his GPS.

You are free to decide if you want to use your GPS illegally without all the documentation. You do so at your own risk. This has been the way that I've elected to do it. I've dealt with enough Russian governmental agencies to know that it takes 5 times longer to get something done there and normally costs twice as much as in the US when you get it all done.

Igurevich38- I tried some of the sites you have listed in the spreadsheet (before they were listed) and when I contacted some of the vendors I was told they couldn't sell me the Russian maps outside of Russia. I haven't tried lately so maybe that has changed.

One thing I did notice is that I could buy the software at a market like Gorbushka (in Moscow) for much cheaper than I could buy it on the websites even while in Russia. I keep a Russia apartment since I am there so frequently.

-TIM
Go to Top of Page

admin_0

1 Posts

Posted - 09 janv. 2005 :  12:58:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear igurevich38:
Could you share your Shanghai map in mapopolis format with me? thanks. if you want, please send it to truebaizhao@126.com
thanks.
Or, you can tell me how to get it.
thank you again.
Go to Top of Page

AlphaMale

48 Posts

Posted - 16 janv. 2005 :  20:35:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am from Saudi Arabia, I was amazed by the high level activities of camping and hunting that are going on in the kingdom, and how the GPS technology added a joy to the already joyfull activities. There is an active geocaching group, and there are thousands of POI in the desert of waters, beaches, archiological sites, and so forth. If I find the time I will provide a POI data base that I am collecting from Arabic GPS sites, and from my navigation activities.

GPS use is not illegel and will not get you in any troble, but these days Americans have to be carfull because of the security situation. But it is not as bad, there are active westeners geocachers who are carfull and alert.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 16 janv. 2005 :  20:39:42  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sounds good, looking forward to your comments. Any vector maps available for "turn by turn" guidance ? I think Dubai has some now.

AlphaMale

48 Posts

Posted - 16 janv. 2005 :  22:01:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think vector maps exists for some cities (not sure), but I live in a small twon where everyone knows every one so I only have a use for memory map type of programs. I am not really very high on a synthesizer to tell me go left or right on a city of squares.I could have used one in Houston,tx but such technology did not exist in the late 70s when I was living there.

I will check on this vector maps and come back with more accurate reply.
Go to Top of Page

mmalcomson

Japan
2 Posts

Posted - 28 janv. 2005 :  04:52:33  Show Profile  Visit mmalcomson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I live in Japan, and have used my eTex Legend C in quite a few countries. In Japan I use the Kashmir3D package on my pc; it has very good maps for all of Japan. The software is free, but you pay a $30 a year subscription to access the detailed maps, which you ned an internet connection to view.

Some of my trips have been uploade to the Austrain GPS site http://www.gps-tour.info.
This is an excellent site for outdoor enthusiasts, until recently only in German, but now with an English version as well.

I have uploaded some hikes and snowshoe trips, both in Japan and Armenia.

It has been difficult to get Mapsource maps for use in Japan as the ones available have Japanese chcracters, and won't load onto a non-Japanese garmin GPS. When hiking in Armenia, I downloaded old Soviet topographical maps from the Berkeley University website, and calibrated those. They work well but are in Russian.

In the coming year I will be travelling through Europe (France, Iceland, Norway), and also Armenia and into Iran. I have travelled to Iran several times, though without my own GPS. I have headr that the GPS signal is blocked there (by the US), so I will test this once I cross the border between Armenia and Iran.

Matt
Go to Top of Page

Pankaj

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 19 mars 2005 :  22:43:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok am I new to the whole GPS game. So please easy with all the code words.... Ok here is the story I am heading to Nepal and Tibet in Jun and need a GPS software for that location. I have a laptop and perfer a unit that could hook up to the lapotp and it be great if it worked standalone as well. If I could run it alone and then hook it up with laptop and download travled route and live info ...via Bluetooth or 2nd choice USB. What software would work with Tibet? I am confused can I use a map and somehow incoroprate it with GPS ? Help! Is there a World GPS Software? Is xmap 4.5 worldwide?
Go to Top of Page

eridan99

2 Posts

Posted - 09 mai 2005 :  15:10:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beginner with GPS, I would like to know if it is possible to find a map of Moscow and region that could be used with a Tomtom navigator on PDA (PPC)

Thank you
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 09 mai 2005 :  22:25:23  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No, for GPS navigation in Moscow you'd have to use moving map software http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/articles.asp?id=65 not sure about using a GPS over there though, that might cause some problems.

admin_0

1 Posts

Posted - 17 sept. 2005 :  09:59:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since Garmin has no real map for Japan, the following free map can be quite interesting for travellers there, it has romanized names and a lot of POI information:
http://www011.upp.so-net.ne.jp/mametaro/index-e.html

The link below has several free maps of lots of different locations, including a map of almost the whole of Japan:
http://rwsmaps.griffel.se/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,86 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05