Traffic or No Traffic
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

JustPassinThru

Canada
20 Posts

Posted - 01 avr. 2018 :  23:01:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am having difficulty deciding between, my two choices are, a Garmin Drive 50LMT or 60LM. Is it more worthwhile to get the bigger screen for $20 extra without traffic or the smaller screen with traffic?

Any and all suggestions appreciated. Thank you.

Nuvi: 255W, 2555LM

Ads

alandb

USA
635 Posts

Posted - 02 avr. 2018 :  00:07:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whether or not Traffic is "worth it" depends a lot on where you drive. If most of your driving is in major metro areas, it might be worthwhile. I have 3 Garmin devices with traffic receivers. My local driving area has no FM traffic coverage, so the traffic receivers are worthless to me unless I travel to Minneapolis, Chicago or some other city. That said, my newest devices support Smartphone Link traffic, and the coverage/accuracy of that service is excellent and well worth the small amount of data it uses, even in my local driving area. I don't think Smartphone Link is suported on the two Drive models you are looking at tho.

Alan - nuvi's - 3597LMTHD 855 755T, Oregon 550, Lowrance Endura Sierra
Go to Top of Page

JustPassinThru

Canada
20 Posts

Posted - 02 avr. 2018 :  02:23:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply 'alandb'. Practically NO amount of driving is in major metro areas, the only time that happens is when we venture into the U.S. and use the Interstate highways, which is maybe two to three times a year, to get to our trip destination.

I know traffic volumes have increased substantially over the years as have the resulting number of traffic slowdowns causing lengthy traffic delays and that's why I was thinking of getting the smaller screen Garmin 50 with traffic as opposed to the larger screen 60 without, and I also don't have a smartphone to link to traffic.

Being a senior now, the larger screen would definitely be easier for me so see but I also don't want to risk sitting in heavy traffic either if I can help it and the fact that the 50LMT and 60LM are each currently on sale in my area.

The other option I have is to not buy either and keep using my Nuvi 2555 which is still working satisfactory.

Go to Top of Page

alandb

USA
635 Posts

Posted - 02 avr. 2018 :  04:09:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Difficult decision, but from what you said, it doesn't sound like a traffic receiver would be that useful to you unless you could go for a more sophisticated model that has bluetooth and supports Smartphone Link. I just don't see much future in the FM based traffic services. Also, IMO you will not gain much in either features or performance by replacing a Nuvi 2555 with a Drive 50/60. That is just my opinion and maybe others will disagree.

Go to Top of Page

JustPassinThru

Canada
20 Posts

Posted - 02 avr. 2018 :  05:03:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good point, and I was intending to keep my 2555LM as a backup GPS anyway.

Go to Top of Page

JustPassinThru

Canada
20 Posts

Posted - 03 avr. 2018 :  14:55:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there "traffic" coverage with these Garmin GPS units anywhere on the U.S. Interstate system or is it limited to areas in and around larger metropolitan cities?

Go to Top of Page

alandb

USA
635 Posts

Posted - 03 avr. 2018 :  18:35:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The coverage for Garmin Traffic and HD DIgital Traffic (receiver based FM services) is clustered around major metro areas. The Smartphone Link traffic has much more coverage and reports incidents on most major roadways. Even in metro areas, Smartphone Link seems to report on many more roads and streets than the FM receivers do.

Edited by - alandb on 03 avr. 2018 18:37:23
Go to Top of Page

JustPassinThru

Canada
20 Posts

Posted - 03 avr. 2018 :  19:02:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perfect, that's what I needed to know. I appears the Traffic Avoidance feature is one that I would not necessarily require on most trips if the inter-city Interstate system lacks comprehensive coverage on the FM based service.

I think at this point it would make more sense to look at a Garmin unit with a larger screen instead. Thanks.

Go to Top of Page

alandb

USA
635 Posts

Posted - 03 avr. 2018 :  19:25:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I apologize. My post must have been misleading. Inter-city Interstates and major highways are pretty well covered by the FM receivers within major metro areas. But. you don't have to venture very far outside the coverage area to lose the signal. Check the Garmin traffic coverage maps for the areas you are interested in. In my experience with FM traffic, the incidents were fairly well reported on inner-city interstates, but sometimes the suggested alternate route on side streets seemed to have even worse traffic than the Interstate incident. And the traffic situation on those side streets was not reported.

Edited by - alandb on 03 avr. 2018 19:37:40
Go to Top of Page

JustPassinThru

Canada
20 Posts

Posted - 03 avr. 2018 :  20:19:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You were not misleading at all. I was referring to the portions of the Interstate(s) and major highways 'outside' of major cities (ie: travelling between cities when driving through a state). I am/was more concerned with actual traffic delays while enroute to a city or particular destination as opposed to being in or within the close proximity to/of a city. Hope this helps.

Go to Top of Page

alandb

USA
635 Posts

Posted - 03 avr. 2018 :  23:00:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, gotcha! My eyes read inter-city in your post but my mind saw inner-city ... that changes the meaning. :) Good luck in your decision and let us know what device you go with.

Go to Top of Page

JustPassinThru

Canada
20 Posts

Posted - 04 avr. 2018 :  01:31:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haven't made a firm decision yet if I will go for a 6" screen unit, which I think would be easier for my older eyes to see, but it's almost certain I won't go for the 'traffic' option as it appears it won't serve my highway purpose. If I do get another I'll let you know for sure.

Go to Top of Page

JustPassinThru

Canada
20 Posts

Posted - 08 avr. 2018 :  21:57:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
'alandb'...I got a real good deal yesterday on a Drive 60LM so I went with that. Just got finished with setup and updating and am going to Ottawa, ON tomorrow anyway so will road test it then.

Go to Top of Page

alandb

USA
635 Posts

Posted - 08 avr. 2018 :  23:07:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great! I will be interested to hear your comments about the 60 and comparison to the 2555 after you use it a while.

Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2017_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,53 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05