Garmin Advanced Navigation Systems
 Zumo 590 and European Garmin support
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

resca

Italy
2 Posts

Posted - 01 déc. 2017 :  05:12:00  Show Profile  Visit resca's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello, I am a long time TomTom user, but I own several Garmin units on my small persoanal aircraft so, once I determined my TomTom is too old to be further used, I bought a Garmin Zumo 590, refurbished by Garmin: it looks really new.

Of course, there are many differences in handling of everything and I had to adapt myself, but there are some points that are really disappointing. I can adapt to something, try to modify by myself what I can but I need the help of Garmin to fix bugs and to have some basic information on the unit.

Unfortunately I am based in Italy and, even if I try to contact support in USA, my request is automatically routed to Garmin UK and here there are no engineers but simple employees that can read what I can read by myself on the user guide! No way to have problems escalated to "real" support engineers, offensive answers suggesting to contact Garmin Italy, that is even worst in support than UK. So, my first question to the forum is: is someone aware on an e-mail address to contact Garmin "central" support and bypass [useless] European people?

That said, I have a long list of problems: for instance I like English text/menus (Italian translations are terrible) but I prefer driving instructions in Italian. Impossible: instructions are so foolish that are unusable. For instance, in a typical 2 roads crossing in a roundabout, have you to turn left (3rd exit) TomTom says, "At the roundabout, turn left, 3rd exit". Zumo says "At the roundabout take 3rd exit on the right". In English it says "At the roundabout take 3rd exit": slightly better. Unfortunately in English 1st and 3rd are pronounced almost the same "thirst" and "third". The volume is also way too low, So, while I am non able to change "grammar", what I did was to re-read English with an understandable [to me] pronunciation and a higher volume. Problem partially fixed: I still prefer to know in advance the direction I have to take at the roundabout. What is disappointing is that Zumo "knows" this while in the top-left icon, it shows the roundabout and the exit arrow on the right direction, with 45 degrees of approximation.

Anyway, what I asked Garmin is the impedance and the max wattage the external speaker should have, an information that should be clearly stated in the documentation. No way to have it: "this is not information that we hold details on" is NOT an answer: Garmin HAS this information, of course!

The second real big bug in Zumo 590 is that in some instances, while a Bluetooth device correctly plays MP3 music through Zumo Music Player, routing instructions go to the wired speaker (either 3.5mm jack of the bike mount or internal in the car mount). This is ABSURD and they (UK "support") don't even try to understand the problem, they simply say "the list we provide as valid Bluetooth devices are the ones we have tested to be working with our devices". I could understand one device doesn't work, but if device works and some "sounds" are sent there and some somewhere else, that is a BUG!

There are many other areas where Zumo is way worst than TomTom and it looks stupid Garmin [Europe?] refuses to forward feedback to developer in order to have it updated it to decent level! I fear I will switch back soon to TomTom...

Ads

resca

Italy
2 Posts

Posted - 04 déc. 2017 :  04:31:56  Show Profile  Visit resca's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So, no one in USA or elsewhere, that has an e-mail to contact Garmin outside Europe?
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2017_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 4,46 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05