Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2265

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Garmin nüvi forums
 3597LMTHD
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 20

SergZak

USA
1805 Posts

Posted - 16 juil. 2013 :  05:08:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for sharing, Rick!

nüvi 3490LMT, nüvi 3790LMT, nüvi 765T, nüvi 855, nüvi 760, nüvi 750
Go to Top of Page

khunpaul

United Kingdom
13 Posts

Posted - 18 juil. 2013 :  00:04:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been experimenting with the nuvi on the motorbike in a waterproof case on a ram mount. I use the cig lighter connection directly in to the back of the GPS as opposed to through the car mount.

It seems to charge ok but always give me an alert saying ".....accessory not supported...". I am guessing that it may mean traffic detection. I suspect this because the zumo was alerting me to a delay which the nuvi did not.

The other interesting thing was the eta. The zumo 550 is famous for being about 15 mins out per hour of journey. In other words a 3 hour hence eta at the beginning, you would add 45 mins. The 3597 showed a more accurate eta throughout whilst I had both mounted.

Comments?

Edited by - khunpaul on 18 juil. 2013 08:47:42
Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7442 Posts

Posted - 18 juil. 2013 :  00:14:52  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Interesting. My zumo 660 is usually dead-accurate on ETAs. Compared to my nuvi 760 it does sometimes perform some wacky updates on ETA, but always recovers and displays an accurate estimate after a while. The wackiness seems to happen most often if I say No to a request to recalc a route.

I used my 760 in a waterproof case on my F800, but finally gave up and bought a zumo because the case would inevitably fog up when it was chilly and rainy -- just when I needed clear directions.

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Nüvi 760 in a '14 VW GTI & zumo 660 on a BMW F800 ST
Guide to working with pre-programmed routes: >> details <<
Language Guide / US Topo / 350 & 680 / MacBook & Intel iMac with OS X & Win XP / BaseCamp / Cape Cod, MA
Go to Top of Page

Jim9999

52 Posts

Posted - 30 juil. 2013 :  19:47:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone confirmed if the new weather feature will show radar, with no phone involved? That would be very useful. I noticed the 2014 Nissan Altima should come with SiriusXM Travel Link, which shows radar, and is only $1.99/month.
http://www.siriusxm.com/travellink
Go to Top of Page

wsparks1

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 01 août 2013 :  15:42:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do not have a phone link. Only getting current temp, future forecast.
Go to Top of Page

rookie8155

Canada
65 Posts

Posted - 01 août 2013 :  17:14:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I purchased my Nuvi 3597 from Costco Canada online. So far I have liked this unit. Map display is a big improvement from my old devices like 765 and 1490.
I also purchased Smartphone Connect subscriptions for my Android phone.
Here are my issues so far:

1. Bluetooth pairing is a nightmare with my Google Nexus 4 phone.It took me more than half hour to pair it. I contacted Garmin support and they confirmed that Nexus 4 phone is not on BT compatibilty list.

2. Smartphone Link app started giving issues for traffic in Toronto area for the last few days. When I tap on traffic icon in Nuvi, the map shows traffic but when I tap on Incidents, it shows only one or two incidents. SInce it is not seeing incidents, it does not show traffic pop up on my route. But if I tap on Traffic on he botton right side of the screen then it show traffic if I am in the traffic area. Last night, traffic incidents started coming back.

3. GTM 60 receiver won't lock easily. So no traffic info.

Othar than that it is an amazing device.

Brampton, Ontario
Nuvi 3597, 765, 1490, c330
Go to Top of Page

ELEGEND_YVR

Canada
495 Posts

Posted - 01 août 2013 :  21:20:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dang, Costco Canada has the 3597? I just checked they do. I should've waited and bought it from them. Oh well, lol.

Yeah, the poor traffic is something that really bothers me. If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't get the device. If I had bought it at Costco, i would've returned it within 90 days and bought a less expensive model.

Edited by - ELEGEND_YVR on 01 août 2013 21:22:58
Go to Top of Page

rookie8155

Canada
65 Posts

Posted - 02 août 2013 :  04:43:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, smartphone link traffic seems to be back to normal. Smartphone link apps so pretty good job. I am using in Toronto and info is pretty good. I had issue last few days but otherwise pretty good. I love this unit. Map display with 3d terrain is awesome. I will not return this unit.

Brampton, Ontario
Nuvi 3597, 765, 1490, c330
Go to Top of Page

NanaimoRick

Canada
7733 Posts

Posted - 21 oct. 2013 :  19:02:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It has continued to bug the heck out of me that Garmin removed the ability to show more data on the Map Screen for the 3597, like I could with my older Nuvi's, like the 3790. I have now learned that you can in fact easily create a custom dashboard for the 3597 to include things like Time to Destination, Direction of Travel, Distance to Via Point, etc., much the same as you could with the Map Data Layout - More Data option in other Nuvi's.

Do if you want to use a customized dashboard here is how to establish one:

1. First you'll need to insure that you have the Trip Data feature activated on your 3597. To do this go to Settings - Map & Vehicle - Map Tools and tap the Trip Data item to place a check mark in it. Then tap Save and return to the main menu screen.

Note - you can tap any or all of the Map Tools items so that they can all be used from the 3597's map screen if required.

2. From the main menu screen tap View Map.

3. On the Map screen, tap the 3 bar icon in the lower right corner and then tap the Trip Data icon in the screen that will pop up on the map screen.

4. By default, with no destination inputted, the Nuvi will display the default information of:

- Trip A (number of miles/km since last reset)
- Trip B (number of miles/km since last reset)
- Elevation
Note - this is similar to the information available on the "speedo" screen you see if you press the Speed readout on the map screen.

5. To customize these 3 fields just tap on any one of them. Doing this will open the Customize Trip Data screen. Scroll through the list and tap on any one the available items (green plus sign) to replace the currently displayed item with the one you have selected.

When your done making the changes to all the fields you want to alter, return to the map screen and your fully customized "dashboard" has been created.

Now to create a custom dashboard that will be used when you have a destination entered on your Nuvi.

1. Enter a destination using the Where To screen and let the Nuvi calculate the route.

2. On the map screen, tap the 3 bar icon in the lower right corner and then tap the Trip Data icon in the screen that will pop up on the map screen. This is only required if the Trip Data fields are not already being displayed on the map screen.

3. Again, by default the Trip Data displayed will be:

- Trip A (number of miles/km since last reset)
- Trip B (number of miles/km since last reset)
- Elevation

4. To customize these 3 fields just tap on any one of them. Doing this will open the Customize Trip Data screen. Scroll through the list and tap on any one the available items (green plus sign) to replace the currently displayed item with the one you have selected.

The available display data for a "destination entered" dashboard include the following items:

Arrive in
Destination Distance
Time to Turn
Distance to Turn
Max Speed
Moving Average
Overall Average
Stopped
Moving Time
Total Time
Elevation
Current Time
Time to Via Point
Via Point Distance

Along with the 3 default items, so a fair bit of customization can be obtained.

When you done making the changes to all the fields you want to alter, return to the map screen and your fully customized "destination entered dashboard" has been created.

For one more piece of customization you can make, tap the icon to the left of the 3 bar icon on the map screen. Depending on whether you have a destination entered or not, you'll get a list of items that can be displayed in this field, in place of what's there now. Tap the one you want to replace what's there.

Hopefully this information will allow you to customize your 3597 so that it displays the information you saw with the More Data options on your older Nuvi that had this feature.

Note - these same procedures may also be applicible to other 2013 model Nuvi's like the 2797 for example, but have not been tested on any unit other than the 3597.

Also Note - to clear the custom dashboard from the map screen just tap the X in the top left corner of the dashboard display. To return it to the screen, tap the 3bar icon and select Trip Data.

Rick James - Nuvi Forum Moderator
Nuvi 350 - Nuvi 760 - Nuvi 1695LM - Nuvi 3790LMT (with ecoRoutes HD) - Nuvi 2460LMT - Nuvi 3597LMTHD (with ecoRoutes HD) also TomTom 540S for side by side comparison >> Here <<
2014 Chevrolet Equinox 2LT AWD

Edited by - NanaimoRick on 21 oct. 2013 19:16:05
Go to Top of Page

sussamb

United Kingdom
880 Posts

Posted - 21 oct. 2013 :  20:14:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That procedure works on my 2508, so should work on all the 25xx series

Edited by - sussamb on 21 oct. 2013 20:14:23
Go to Top of Page

Jim9999

52 Posts

Posted - 21 oct. 2013 :  23:12:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good information, Rick. Can you post a photo of it?
Go to Top of Page

NanaimoRick

Canada
7733 Posts

Posted - 22 oct. 2013 :  02:02:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sure, here is one:

This one shows the custom dashboard that I prefer. It is displaying Time to the Next Turn (Turn In), in this case in minutes and seconds, Distance to Destination (Distance), and Time to Destination (Arrive In), in this case in hours and minutes. I'm also using the data field to the left of the 3Bar icon to display Elevation.

Here is the a shot at about the same location, showing what the dashboard looks like in Portrait mode:

Some other things you may notice about these shots are:

- the smaller POI icons are ones I've created for custom POI files I have loaded on the 3597. These are 44 x 44 or 48 x 48 pixel jpg files downloaded from Google Images and resized as needed.

- the larger square POI icons are the ones built into the Nuvi's map data.

- the map theme may appear different from what your used to seeing. This one was created by one of your members, Sergzak, and I like it because it displays the secondary roads much more clearly (for me) than the standard Garmin themes. Although not noticeable here it also displays major highways/interstates in red instead of the standard orange color.

- The speed limit is shown in the European round sign format and not the rectangle we use in North America. That is because I have the 3597 set with a locale of Australia in order to have the ability to turn Auto Zoom off and on.

Nuvi 350 - Nuvi 760 - Nuvi 1695LM - Nuvi 3790LMT (with ecoRoutes HD) - Nuvi 2460LMT - Nuvi 3597LMTHD (with ecoRoutes HD) also TomTom 540S for side by side comparison >> Here <<

Edited by - NanaimoRick on 22 oct. 2013 02:37:18
Go to Top of Page

sussamb

United Kingdom
880 Posts

Posted - 22 oct. 2013 :  08:36:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What I find strange is that there is no ETA option within the trip data fields, at least not in the 25xx series, something that IMO should be there, as it is on my 1490.

I know you can select ETA as an option in the data field to the left of the 3Bar icon, so clearly it's available, but it seems more logical for that to be part of trip data. I've raised it as an issue with Garmin and hope it might be included in a future update.

Edited by - sussamb on 22 oct. 2013 08:43:38
Go to Top of Page

NanaimoRick

Canada
7733 Posts

Posted - 22 oct. 2013 :  16:20:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In my screenshots, what is "Arrive In" if not ETA? That's available on the 3597 either via the 3 fields along the side/top of the map screen or from the field immediately to the left of the 3bar icon.

Go to Top of Page

sussamb

United Kingdom
880 Posts

Posted - 22 oct. 2013 :  17:16:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's the time you take to 'arrive in', ETA is obtained from adding that to current time. The actual ETA (or Arrival Time as Garmin call it) is only available via the data field to the left of the 3bar icon, which as I said seems illogical, it should really be part of 'trip data'.

Edited by - sussamb on 22 oct. 2013 17:19:27
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 20 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,75 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05