Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2275

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Garmin nüvi forums
 Nuvi 50LM storage/SD card question
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

soulweeper

29 Posts

Posted - 18 févr. 2013 :  07:47:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another question about my brand new Nuvi 50LM. :)

Charged it up, registered it and all that, got the available software and map updates, everything is up to date.

So, after the updates, I notice in the device info, it says 89MB free out of 1.8GB.

Don't remember the exact size of the updates, but I can't help wonder how many more I'll get with that small amount of storage left.

Are they generally fairly small in size or??

Also, it can take a micro SD card up to 8GB, so when the internal memory is full, does it automatically start installing updates to the SD card or how does that work. I thought I read that it doesn't read that type of info from the card, but I simply have no idea, this is my first GPS.

Thanks in advance!

Ads

sussamb

United Kingdom
882 Posts

Posted - 18 févr. 2013 :  08:41:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Map updates are incremental but if you leave things you'll run out of space. They're a number of options. One is to add a card. Other is to free up space by deleting all your unused voices, keyboard, EULA, help and text files.
Go to Top of Page

ST-Bob

USA
3684 Posts

Posted - 18 févr. 2013 :  11:35:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The update loaded to your PC will be much larger than the 'compiled' update that eventually gets put onto your GPS. Remember, a Nuvi-50 is a bottom-of-the-line model so it's going to be optimized as all get-out to work with the minimum of flash-ROM. Yes, it's an OK idea to delete voices, text files etc. that you're not using - but you HAVE to know what you're doing. There have been too many cases of people doing something stupid and bricking their GPS. If you're not deeply into computers - leave it alone or get live technical assistance.

When performing the updates you're usually told if there's not enough room and offered the choice of either using an external memory card or paring down the regions of map coverage to fit on the device.

Bob Peloquin - Moderator-Lowrance iWay forum
Massachusetts, USA
Various Iways, nüvi 750
Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7442 Posts

Posted - 18 févr. 2013 :  14:55:15  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good advice above, so I'll just add that when you update maps, it REPLACES the existing version, as opposed to adding a new file. If the update is the same size as the existing map, there will be no net gain/loss of storage space. However, the trend has been for updates to be bigger, so at some point using the SD card will be necessary.

Also, have a look at our FAQ/Read Me. It links to answers to a lot of these kinds of questions as they are not unique to the 50.

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Nüvi 760 in a '14 VW GTI & zumo 660 on a BMW F800 ST
Guide to working with pre-programmed routes: >> details <<
Language Guide / US Topo / 350 & 680 / MacBook & Intel iMac with OS X & Win XP / BaseCamp / Cape Cod, MA
Go to Top of Page

soulweeper

29 Posts

Posted - 18 févr. 2013 :  22:47:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ST-Bob

The update loaded to your PC will be much larger than the 'compiled' update that eventually gets put onto your GPS. Remember, a Nuvi-50 is a bottom-of-the-line model so it's going to be optimized as all get-out to work with the minimum of flash-ROM. Yes, it's an OK idea to delete voices, text files etc. that you're not using - but you HAVE to know what you're doing. There have been too many cases of people doing something stupid and bricking their GPS. If you're not deeply into computers - leave it alone or get live technical assistance.

When performing the updates you're usually told if there's not enough room and offered the choice of either using an external memory card or paring down the regions of map coverage to fit on the device.

Ok, so on my computer it told me how much free space was available, was that the actual space left on the device?

Also, I'm not heavily into computers, but I'm pretty saavy with that stuff. I build my first computer a little under a year ago.....flashed my Kindle Fire with Jelly Bean, etc. etc.....so I'm ok with stuff like that with proper instructions. You get the idea.

It sounds to me like I won't have anything to worry about, since it replaces the maps each time....at least for a few updates maybe.

So am I correct in assuming that if I simply added an sd card beforehand, that it simply uses the additional memory as if it was internal memory? Not all devices do, that's why I ask.

Edited by - soulweeper on 18 févr. 2013 22:56:43
Go to Top of Page

alandb

456 Posts

Posted - 18 févr. 2013 :  23:44:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The size difference between the last 2 map versions (City Navigator NA 2013.2 and City Navigator 2013.3) was about 79 MB.

The Garmin Express map install method is new and this will be the first map update released since it was introduced. How it implements installation to SD will be better known when the new map is out. The older MapUpdater program would prompt for installation to SD on some Garmin models if there was insufficient room on the internal storage.

Alan - nuvi's - 3597LMTHD 855 755T, Oregon 550, Lowrance Endura Sierra
Go to Top of Page

soulweeper

29 Posts

Posted - 19 févr. 2013 :  00:37:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh.....so it reads from the SD card just fine, obviously.

The update said the lower 49 states, something like that. Mind if I ask what the "49th state" is? Just curious. I'd be fine just updating California....too bad they don't let it be done by state, lol.
Go to Top of Page

alandb

456 Posts

Posted - 19 févr. 2013 :  00:51:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hawaii. The Lower 49 map version excludes Alaska (and Canada of course).

Yes, the nuvi can access the map on SD just fine. Sometimes getting it installed there can be a bit of a challenge, but Garmin has been improving the map updater software to accommodate that.

Edited by - alandb on 19 févr. 2013 00:55:52
Go to Top of Page

soulweeper

29 Posts

Posted - 19 févr. 2013 :  01:47:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, it's just a good idea to throw a micro SD card in, obviously. I know the limit is 8GB, but is there any certain brand/type that works better than others, or will any 8GB micro SD card do?
Go to Top of Page

alandb

456 Posts

Posted - 19 févr. 2013 :  02:19:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any reliable name-brand micro SDHC card should work fine. I have used SanDisk, Wintec, Transcend, Professional and a couple of other brands in my nuvi's with no problems.

Edited by - alandb on 19 févr. 2013 02:20:02
Go to Top of Page

NanaimoRick

Canada
7733 Posts

Posted - 19 févr. 2013 :  05:15:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by soulweeper

So, it's just a good idea to throw a micro SD card in, obviously. I know the limit is 8GB, but is there any certain brand/type that works better than others, or will any 8GB micro SD card do?

Actually I think all the current Nuvi models support a 16GB SD card. Not saying that you need one that large, but they will work.

Rick James - Nuvi Forum Moderator
Nuvi 350 - Nuvi 760 - Nuvi 1695LM - Nuvi 3790LMT (with ecoRoutes HD) - Nuvi 2460LMT - Nuvi 3597LMTHD (with ecoRoutes HD) also TomTom 540S for side by side comparison >> Here <<
2014 Chevrolet Equinox 2LT AWD

Go to Top of Page

soulweeper

29 Posts

Posted - 19 févr. 2013 :  05:26:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just ordered a 4GB card, which I think will be quite big enough for quite some time, yes?
Go to Top of Page

soulweeper

29 Posts

Posted - 09 mars 2013 :  01:46:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sussamb

Map updates are incremental but if you leave things you'll run out of space. They're a number of options. One is to add a card. Other is to free up space by deleting all your unused voices, keyboard, EULA, help and text files.

Just curious.....can you point me to a guide or something of that nature, that shows how to delete some of that stuff? I'd like to check that out. I'll know if I'm comfortable doing any of that.
Go to Top of Page

NanaimoRick

Canada
7733 Posts

Posted - 09 mars 2013 :  05:13:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are a few threads to check out:

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=133112#926414 - follow these steps to insure all the files on your Nuvi are visible in Windows before you do anything else.

Now that you can see all of files on the Nuvi, copy all the files on the device to a backup folder on your computer.

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=142303 - will give you a links to a tutorial about deleting files from your Nuvi in order to get more space for the map files. It may refer to other models but still applies in your case as well.

Rick James - Nuvi Forum Moderator
Nuvi 350 - Nuvi 760 - Nuvi 1695LM - Nuvi 3790LMT (with ecoRoutes HD) - Nuvi 2460LMT - Nuvi 3597LMTHD (with ecoRoutes HD) also TomTom 540S for side by side comparison >> Here <<
2014 Chevrolet Equinox 2LT AWD

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05