Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2173

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Garmin nüvi forums
 nuvi 2460 not detected as USB device by updater
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dan.k1973

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 02 févr. 2013 :  22:41:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I removed some map files form my Nuvi 2460 by mistake, which ment I could no longer obtain a USB connection.

Used GarminCure3 and created a Cure firmware using nuvi24xx_GCDFile__320.gcd.

All was fine and could now get a reliable USB connection. Proceeded to reformat flash using RMPrepUSB tool as per forum guidance.

Now generated original firmware using GarminCure3, but updater cannot recognise the device! So I cannot load the original firmware back on.

Any ideas?
What have I done wrong? About to bin it.

Thanks

Ads

kunix

Belarus
194 Posts

Posted - 03 févr. 2013 :  07:12:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What do you mean when saying "not recognized"? Does is show empty device selection list? Or does it say "no updates available", when you select your device?

You should have used pre-boot mode to flash the CURE firmware. Now you should be able to use it again to flash the ORIGINAL firmware, as GarminCure3 can't break pre-boot mode on 24xx (on GVN52/53 it CAN break, really).

To put your device into pre-boot mode, do the following:
1) Disconnect your device from the PC.
2) If the device is not turned off, then turn it off forcibly. You'd have to press the power button until the screen becomes completely black.
3) Press and hold the very upper left corner of the screen.
4) Press the power button and immediately connect the device to the PC and wait until updater.exe detects it.
Go to Top of Page

dan.k1973

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 03 févr. 2013 :  22:24:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kunix,

Thanks for that, now working with original firmware. Unfortunately even though I have downloaded the latest maps, all I get is a grey screen when navigating, no map or streets. I think I have lost the base map?
Also the Qwerty keyboard for entering addresses has gone, all I have is the abc keyboard. There does'nt seem to be any audible voice directions either.

I didn't do a backup prior to formatting it, as I lost the maps by mistake. Is there anyway to download the files I need? If not I guess its is ruined?

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

sussamb

United Kingdom
851 Posts

Posted - 03 févr. 2013 :  23:16:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it's working connect it to Webupdater and that will load a lot of missing files. For the maps log into myGarmin and then myMaps ... you have a year from the initial download to re-download maps so as long as you're within the year you should be OK.
Go to Top of Page

NanaimoRick

Canada
7698 Posts

Posted - 04 févr. 2013 :  04:11:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another option is to download and install the new Garmin Express program to your computer. It will let you update your Nuvi with all the missing files that Webupdater will and also download, and install, any map update that your entitled to. See:

http://software.garmin.com/en-US/express.html

Rick James - Nuvi Forum Moderator
Nuvi 350 - Nuvi 760 - Nuvi 1695LM - Nuvi 3790LMT (with ecoRoutes HD) - Nuvi 2460LMT - Nuvi 3597LMTHD (with ecoRoutes HD) also TomTom 540S for side by side comparison >> Here <<
2014 Chevrolet Equinox 2LT AWD

Go to Top of Page

dan.k1973

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 04 févr. 2013 :  08:38:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have tried Garmin Express and it reports the unit as up to date.

The only map I currently have installed is nüMaps Lifetime™ Europe 2013.30.

If I log into myGarmin and have a look in myMaps, I can download all maps that have not expired, so that is nüMaps Lifetime™ Europe 2013.10 to 2013.30.

All the expired Maps are listed, but do not have download links, but I do have the unlock codes.

Do I need to install all the previous maps and expired maps to get it to work?

There is another map called MPC, which seems to be very old, do I need that?

I think I am missing more than Garmin are allowing me to download, is it the baseline map I need?

The unit is fine other than not displaying a map, no Qwerty keyboard, or lack of voice directions.
Thanks for all your help.
Go to Top of Page

sussamb

United Kingdom
851 Posts

Posted - 04 févr. 2013 :  09:13:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Garmin Express is reporting your software up to date but additional voices etc are under Device, Advanced

Missing keyboards should be shown, if Express isn't showing any updates use webupdater to download the ones you need. Have you gone to Tools, Settings, Language, Keyboard Layout and selected the QWERTY keyboard (if it shows there?).

Don't worry about previous maps, just install the latest. To check that it is installed go to Tools, Settings, My maps on your 2460. You should see the map listed and it should be enabled (ticked).

MPC is something to do with Mapsource, I'm not sure if you need it or not.
Go to Top of Page

ddabcd277

310 Posts

Posted - 04 févr. 2013 :  09:57:17  Show Profile  Visit ddabcd277's Homepage  Reply with Quote
MPC is a third party mapping licenced by Garmin. In general this is a preinstalled local mapping where CNE don't have coverage or is not good - like in Belarus for example.
Go to Top of Page

dan.k1973

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 04 févr. 2013 :  15:28:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have already downloaded all the additional voices through Garmin Express, Device, Advanced.

I have gone through Tools, Settings, Language, Keyboard Layout, but QWERTY keyboard is not there to select, only ABC.

When I go to Tools, Settings, My maps, I have map 2013.30 selected.

Webupdater doesnt have anything to update concerning keyboards.

I think the unit is missing something fundamental outside of what can be downloaded through Garmin Express or webupdater. Map screen is still grey, although routes appear in magenta and road names displayed at top of screen.

Don't know what to try next.
Go to Top of Page

sussamb

United Kingdom
851 Posts

Posted - 06 févr. 2013 :  08:04:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's difficult to know what else to suggest other than to try calling Garmin customer support, or maybe even back to the retailer and show him the problem. You may get a new one depending on the return policy (Note if you do make a back up before you do anything else).
Go to Top of Page

dasilvarsa

106 Posts

Posted - 06 févr. 2013 :  14:19:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe this model needs the worldwide Basemap to operate.
Do you have GMAPBMAP.IMG in your nuvi ?
Does your Nuvi Sucessfully aquire satelites ?
Have you tried to reflash an older version ?
Maybe something has gone wrong with one of the NVRAM regions ?
Have you tried to Zoom OUT ?
Go to Top of Page

dan.k1973

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 07 févr. 2013 :  08:42:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I took sussamb's advice and called Garmin customer support. They have offered to swap it out for a replacement. So sent it back, as they were interested to take a look at it.

Learn't a few lessons at the same time!!

Top marks to Garmin.

Thanks to everyone who took their time giving me help and advice, it is much appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

sussamb

United Kingdom
851 Posts

Posted - 07 févr. 2013 :  11:41:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, Garmin are very good when it comes to replacing units ... just remember to back it up first when they return it. If you're not sure how to the instructions are here:

http://forums.gpsreview.net/viewtopic.php?t=21019

Note that you will need to set your nuvi to mass storage mode and set Windows to show both hidden system files and folders.

Edited by - sussamb on 07 févr. 2013 11:44:19
Go to Top of Page

dasilvarsa

106 Posts

Posted - 08 févr. 2013 :  14:06:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sussamb

Yes, Garmin are very good when it comes to replacing units ... just remember to back it up first when they return it. If you're not sure how to the instructions are here:

http://forums.gpsreview.net/viewtopic.php?t=21019

Note that you will need to set your nuvi to mass storage mode and set Windows to show both hidden system files and folders.

Backing up the files is good advice but it is better to backup the files and NVRAM Regions. (Specially Region 41)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05