Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Smartphone GPS
 GPS on Smartphones
 Speeding up GPS acquisition time on smartphone ?
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bikecph

Denmark
4 Posts

Posted - 24 janv. 2013 :  12:49:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm wondering if anyone knows how to speed up the connecting time for the gps on a smartphone - without accessing the internet? I'm using the gps-function on old smartphones for treasure hunts with my friends, but we need to speed up the connecting time, which can be slow. Any ideas anybody?

I can connect to wifi if needed, to install any app that can do the trick. Only I need to know which, if it is at all possible to speed up the connecting time. Cheers!

Ads

gpspassion

94687 Posts

Posted - 24 janv. 2013 :  12:56:50  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forums.

It depends on the smartphone ? Some would let you download an AGPS file containing predictive ephemeris data, see http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=47602 but that quickly got automated through the cellular network.

But that was mostly developed for dense urban areas or coated windschields, standing still in an environment with a clear view of the sky your TTFF should never be more than 45 seconds with any modern GPS (>2002) so planning ahead of time (don't turn it on inside a deep forest) should get you there.

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

bikecph

Denmark
4 Posts

Posted - 24 janv. 2013 :  13:04:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your quick answer! 45 seconds would be a great connecting time to achieve, but sometimes it takes 10 minutes or more to get a signal when switching on the phones. I use HTC tattoos, and we only use them in what you would call dense urban environments. Would there be any way to get the AGPS function installed on those, do you think?
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94687 Posts

Posted - 24 janv. 2013 :  13:12:19  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm not familiar with the HTC Tattoo, maybe it uses a qualcomm chipset like my HTC HD2 (and a lot of other HTCs) and I have this little app called Leo AGPS Injector that downloads and injects GPS data, you could give it a try :http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=16384028&postcount=1907

Having said that these smartphones with their tiny antennas are going to have problems giving accurate tracking, especially on foot, in dense urban areas, it's a physical limitation really and while AGPS would speed up the fix but can't do much to overcome that.

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

bikecph

Denmark
4 Posts

Posted - 24 janv. 2013 :  13:41:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have no problems obtaining sufficient precision, only the connection time is an issue. Thanks a lot for the hint + link, I'll give it try.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94687 Posts

Posted - 24 janv. 2013 :  14:19:21  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sure, let us know how it goes and it would be interesting to know your setup too for the treasure hunting. It's good to hear you're getting good accuracy, with my HD2 if I have it stored in a coat pocket the recorded tracks are pretty bad...had that recently on a bike ride.

Go to Top of Page

bikecph

Denmark
4 Posts

Posted - 25 janv. 2013 :  12:55:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As I understand, the app you mentioned (Leo AGPS) needs to connect to the internet in order to obtain the latest data for injection. This could be a limitation in my case. Would you know of any other way to speed up the GPS time-to-connection, without having internet access? Any hardware tweaks or other possibilities. Btw, what does TTFF mean?
Cheers, and again thanks for your help :-)
Go to Top of Page

wadewilson

Vietnam
5 Posts

Posted - 09 janv. 2018 :  10:44:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
good post, thanks for the information

Wade Wilson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2017_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05