Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2243

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Garmin nüvi forums
 Set Up Issues With New Nuvi 3590
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AlanHo

United Kingdom
66 Posts

Posted - 23 oct. 2012 :  17:16:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am in the UK and have just received a new Nuvi 3590 which will replace my Nuvi 2460 now that it has been commandeered by my wife.

The device arrived with the Euro 2013.10 maps and version 6.2 firmware- so I set about registering the new Nuvi and downloading the necessary updates.

The unit when connected to my PC by the USB cable was ‘found’ OK by Windows Explorer, Mapsource, Base Camp and was also recognised in my Garmin Account Dashboard - but I met problems trying to install the updates and download favourites from Mapsource. They would appear to download, start to install on the Nuvi and then end with an error message stating that “The device is not responding”. I tried resetting the unit and using web updater again but had no luck. A further attempt succeeded and the version 7.2 firmware update was installed. The maps downloaded and were verified OK but after about 10 minutes the install progress bar stopped and a message appeared stating that the map install had failed...

When I checked in my Account it showed that the 3590 was now loaded with the 2013.20 maps (even though the update had shown a failure message). However, the sat-nav MyMaps menu showed that the device was loaded with only the Europe.DEM base map – the 2013.10 maps had vanished and the 2013.20 maps were not shown...

All this was happening late evening so it was not possible to contact Garmin.

This morning I phoned Garmin support and (to my pleasant surprise) I was talking to a support engineer in less than a minute from the Garmin “robot” voice answering the phone and me pushing all the appropriate buttons to get to a human being. I told him my frustrating tale and he asked me if I could recall the colour of the computer picture shown on the sat-nav screen when it was connected to the computer. Was it orange or silver. It was orange, which he advised meant that the sat-nav would not communicate with the PC properly.

He asked me to do this :-

Start the sat-nav > open Map view > press on the speed icon for several seconds to open the trip recorder screen > press on the circular speed display area for a few seconds to open the Diagnostics page > scroll to MTP settings > Select “Mass Storage” (It was set to MTP Auto Detect by default) > Save.

After reconnecting the sat-nav to the computer the computer icon on the screen was now silver and the unit was able to download the necessary updates by following the instructions he Emailed to me as follows :-

Once you have logged into your myGarmin account, please do the following:

1. Click on Manage Maps.
2. Click on Download History.
3. Click on Download.
4. Click the Blue Download Icon.
5. Click on Run.
6. You will see the progress of the download of our software this can take several minutes.
7. Click on Run.
8. You will see the progress of the extraction of our software this can take several minutes.
9. Click on Continue.
10. Read the Software License Agreement if you agree with this tick the box and then click Continue.
11. You may then see this screen which is updating the software on your device this may take several minutes. Once this is done please click on Continue.
12. You will then need to follow the instructions on the mapping update wizard then click on Continue.
13. If you are prompted to please enter your product key for your download. If you do not have the product key this can be found as stated in the instructions on the wizard. Then click on Continue.
14. The download will now communicate with our website. Once this has been done click on Continue.
15. Click on View Options to select the region that you want and select Install to Device and Computer.
16. You will see the mapping being downloaded and then sent across to your unit. Once this has been done click on Continue.
17. The mapping has been successfully updated on your Garmin device. click on Exit.

This procedure worked perfectly and the sat-nav is now usable again with the proper maps. It also now works with Mapsource and I have been able to download my favourites. I have also been able to use the POI Loader to download my speed camera files.

All this trouble would have been avoided if the Garmin user manual mentioned that the Mass storage mode is only working if the computer icon on the screen is Silver and that Orange meant there was a problem followed by a description of the procedure to correct it. Even better – why not sell the device with the connection set to Mass Storage by default.

Another omission by Garmin is that if you try to download a user manual for the Nuvi 5390 from your MyAccount screen > downloads > it tells you that there is no manual available in English. I Googled the Garmin sales site and used this link http://support.garmin.com/support/manuals/manuals.htm?partNo=010-00921-02&language=en&country=GB to download a manual for the 3500 series.

I have now been able to try out the new sat-nav in the car and my first impressions are very favourable. Compared with the 2460 - acquiring satellites and route planning is much faster. The screen is clearer, zooming by two finger strokes is great and the dual orientation is very useful. The menu structure is more user friendly and the speech is clearer now that the mount has a large built in speaker.

So far so good - after a disappointing start.

Edited by - AlanHo on 23 oct. 2012 20:53:31

Ads

neadrenalin

476 Posts

Posted - 24 oct. 2012 :  12:57:23  Show Profile  Visit neadrenalin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
that the Mass storage mode is only working if the computer icon on the screen is Silver and that Orange meant there

Orange is working too. You were not so lucky, or did not cross your fingers. MTP is the modern protocol. It's implementation is bad in Garmin devices. That is why old-school Mass Storage mode works better and support knows that.
Issue with the map update appears on several devices only in rare cases. And I hope with the SW update it can be fixed sometimes.

I found no issues when looked for nuvi manual. Entered nuvi 3590 in search field, then clicked first link "recommended result" and then clicked "Manuals".
Go to Top of Page

AlanHo

United Kingdom
66 Posts

Posted - 25 oct. 2012 :  09:44:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@ neadrenalin...

Like me you are an experienced Garmin user and know your way around their foibles.

The point I was making is that someone new to owning a Garmin device could be under the illusion that their web account pages and dashboard are the source of all knowledge.

If I open my dashboard and click on the “Manual” link for the Nuvi 3590 the next window clearly states “No English publications found”.
This is hardly a satisfactory introduction to a new owner of the 3590 who has not owned a Garmin sat-nav previously.

Edited by - AlanHo on 25 oct. 2012 09:47:20
Go to Top of Page

bugraer_aslan

Germany
14 Posts

Posted - 03 nov. 2012 :  08:14:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Moderator's note - Please do not double post, particularly in a thread that is not dealing with a Nuvi model that you are having an issue with. Thanks.

nuvi 465t and nuvi 250

Edited by - NanaimoRick on 03 nov. 2012 15:14:50
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05