Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 1953

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Garmin nüvi forums
 Garmin 2012 models: improvements in performance ?
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ELEGEND_YVR

Canada
483 Posts

Posted - 22 juil. 2012 :  20:26:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For those who have regularly updated over the years, how do the new LMT models stack up performance wise in terms of graphic rendering and route calculation/recalculation over their predecessors? Every once in a while when I drop into Best Buy or Costco and do sample routes, I haven't been very impressed with the CPU speed.

Ads

sussamb

United Kingdom
792 Posts

Posted - 22 juil. 2012 :  21:36:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More the other factors that keep me using my trusty 1490 ... stable, uses the old 'Garmin routes' so works the way I want, etc etc

Why 'upgrade'?

Edited by - sussamb on 22 juil. 2012 21:37:46
Go to Top of Page

Boyd

USA
1712 Posts

Posted - 22 juil. 2012 :  22:39:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ELEGEND_YVR

when I drop into Best Buy or Costco and do sample routes, I haven't been very impressed with the CPU speed.

Make sure you are comparing apples to apples. Next time you try this, go into the navigation settings and disable trafficTrends and myTrends. MyTrends may not be an issue on a display model since it won't have any waypoints or history, but trafficTrends is a big performance hit for route calculation.

On my 3790 with trafficTrends active, it can take a very long time to calculate a 100 mile route - definitely slower than my older Nuvi's. With trafficTrends disabled, the 3790 only takes a couple seconds to calculate the same route - noticeably faster than my old units.

trafficTrends uses historical data to calculate the best route depending on the time and day of the week, so it slows things down.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93786 Posts

Posted - 23 juil. 2012 :  11:55:39  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good point, and as posted previously (in the chipset topic where that question was originally posted if memory serves) clearly the 3xxxx models have a lot more horsepower than the rest of the line-up...hence their much higher price. Part of that price is due to the high resolution screen...that also gobbles up some CPU cycles. Having said that, in terms of overall "user experience" I think they've reached a "plateau" since the 765 was launched in 2008.

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

jeffcarp94

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 24 juil. 2012 :  04:37:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is hard to gauge performance of the newer units. I've owned a lot of Garmin units over the years but it is hard to compare because of the increase in the features and data that each unit uses. Calculation speed on my 3590LMT is not impressive. There are many times when I am already driving and have to wait for the route to calculate before I know where to go. TrafficTrends or not, processing power grows by leaps and bounds each year and therefore it is my expectation as a customer that even though a feature like TrafficTrends is added, it should be able to be added without a performance hit.

While innovations like capacitive touchscreens have improved the usability of Garmin units, they still pale in comparison to the usability of a smartphone. The better smartphones get with innovations like Speech to Text, the more ancient Garmin devices feel. Compare Vlingo to Garmin's Voice Command for example. Try any function side by side using Garmin vs Google Navigation or Waze and the usability just isn't even close.

What keeps me using a Garmin is the features you can't get on a smartphone. The main features for me, at this time, are lane guidance and freeway sign imagery. We travel in an RV so we need really accurate guidance in freeway maneuvers. The day that that stops being a need for us, or a smartphone app provides it, I will be done with Garmin.

Nav experience: Garmin SP III, SP 2710, SP 2730, Garmin i5, Garmin c330, Garmin 760, Garmin 885T, Dash Navigation, TeleNav for Sprint, TomTom 740 Live, CoPilot Live v8, Navigon for Android, Navigon for iPad, Google Navigation, Waze, Garmin Nuvi 3490LMT, Garmin 3590LMT, TomTom for Android, Rand McNally 7725LM
Go to Top of Page

Toby737

Australia
29 Posts

Posted - 26 juil. 2012 :  11:47:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would be nice if they start to use GHz processors and extra memory for their newer units like the SmartPhones.
Go to Top of Page

Boyd

USA
1712 Posts

Posted - 26 juil. 2012 :  14:42:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeffcarp94

What keeps me using a Garmin is the features you can't get on a smartphone. The main features for me, at this time, are lane guidance and freeway sign imagery.

Garmin's iPhone app already has this...

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/garmin-n.-america/id435740864?mt=8

Go to Top of Page

jeffcarp94

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 27 juil. 2012 :  01:58:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good point Boyd. I should have more correctly said features you can't get on MY (Android) smartphone.

Nav experience: Garmin SP III, SP 2710, SP 2730, Garmin i5, Garmin c330, Garmin 760, Garmin 885T, Dash Navigation, TeleNav for Sprint, TomTom 740 Live, CoPilot Live v8, Navigon for Android, Navigon for iPad, Google Navigation, Waze, Garmin Nuvi 3490LMT, Garmin 3590LMT, TomTom for Android, Rand McNally 7725LM
Go to Top of Page

Dewi

622 Posts

Posted - 27 juil. 2012 :  20:32:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeff, have you tried CoPilot Live for Android? It has lane guidance and sign imagery and now includes 12 months of ActiveTraffic data...

http://www.copilotlive.com/us/personal/android.asp
Go to Top of Page

jeffcarp94

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 29 juil. 2012 :  04:40:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I used version 8 of that product back in the windows mobile days on my touch pro 2. I've got an old blog post somewhere of doing a 3000 mile round trip with it from the midwest to Florida and back. My biggest issue with their product is that I found maps to be absolutely atrocious. If I recall from memory, I found over 15 mistakes on freeways in that 3000 mile trip. Once they came out with a new traffic feature I did try their software for android on my samsung galaxy s 2. Turns out, it doesn't work on the phone. They confirm this and they know it but good luck trying to find any note about incompatibility anywhere in the description for that product. I'm not a fan.

Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7425 Posts

Posted - 29 juil. 2012 :  14:17:14  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A motorcycling pal tried out CoPilot on his 'droid phone and rapidly reached the same conclusions, plus wacky routing and odd directions. He bought a nuvi.

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Nüvi 760 in a '10 Jetta TDI Diesel SportWagen & zumo 660 on a BMW F800 ST
Guide to working with pre-programmed routes: >> details <<
Language Guide / US Topo / 350 & 680 / MacBook & Intel iMac with OS X & Win XP / BaseCamp / Cape Cod, MA
Go to Top of Page

NanaimoRick

Canada
7636 Posts

Posted - 29 juil. 2012 :  16:39:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have tried to use CoPilot on my android tablet and phone and would have to say that it doesn't really compare in any way to the Nuvi.

Rick James - Nuvi Forum Moderator
Nuvi 350 - Nuvi 760 - Nuvi 1695LM - Nuvi 3790LMT (with ecoRoutes HD) - Nuvi 2460LMT - Nuvi 3597LMTHD (with ecoRoutes HD) also TomTom 540S for side by side comparison >> Here <<
2014 Chevrolet Equinox 2LT AWD

Go to Top of Page

ELEGEND_YVR

Canada
483 Posts

Posted - 29 juil. 2012 :  22:22:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have an Android phone previously loaded with Sygic (you can get a free one week trial) and I wasn't impressed. Smartphone gps chips are still lacking imho. They take too long to lock and can lose signal.

I completely agree that standalone gps units need to use GHZ processors and I thought they finally did. I guess not. For me, the performance and route calculation is a big big deal.

I recieved an email from Garmin and they said the new 3xxx models are very fast. Ha!

Since the 3xxx series which I [was] considering up until I read the comments here had a sufficiently robust 1 ghz cpu, I would pick one up. Sadly, that's not the case. Looks like I will keep on using my 765 until it dies and the 350 as a backup.
Go to Top of Page

jotne

Norway
1685 Posts

Posted - 30 juil. 2012 :  09:08:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
+1

I have tested several new Garmin GPS, but still sticks to my "old" 765.
Driven around 3000km in Europa/Brazil this summer, and it works very well.
Why replace some that still works :)

Previously owned : GPS "eTrex Yellow" "GPSmap 76S" "GPSMap 60CS" "GPSMAP 60CSx" "Nüvi 660"
Unit I have now :"Nüvi 760 EU" "Nüvi 765" "Edge 305" "Colorado 300"

Edited by - jotne on 30 juil. 2012 09:10:17
Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7425 Posts

Posted - 30 juil. 2012 :  13:24:53  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am still using - and happy with - my nuvi 760. But I will admit that my zumo 660 runs circles around it (only when I tell it to [g]). Of course for the price, it better.

The zumo boots and acquires sats a LOT faster than the 760. Map redraw is not significantly faster, however, and route calc is about the same, but scrolling is smoother and the zumo's feature set is more amenable to customizing, especially display of data fields.

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Nüvi 760 in a '10 Jetta TDI Diesel SportWagen & zumo 660 on a BMW F800 ST
Guide to working with pre-programmed routes: >> details <<
Language Guide / US Topo / 350 & 680 / MacBook & Intel iMac with OS X & Win XP / BaseCamp / Cape Cod, MA
Go to Top of Page

Jim9999

47 Posts

Posted - 09 août 2012 :  20:05:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 34xx/35xx and 37xx are based on the Garmin phone, correct? The Garmin phone uses a 600MHz Qualcomm MSM7227 CPU. I'm no expert, but it seems like they read reviews about poor performance for the 37xx, for the 34xx/35xx, they could have easily upgraded to another CPU in that family, like a 1Ghz MSM7227A, which at only 45nm vs 65nm for the MSM7227, should also run cooler and use less battery power (or at a higher Mhz, at least equal to the slower one):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snapdragon_%28system_on_chip%29#Snapdragon_S1
Even more reason considering when the 34xx/35xx were being developed, the price of the faster chip could have been nearly the same (or less) as the price of the slower chip back when the older 37xx was developed.

This implies that the price of these chips are not very expensive, and continued to fall in price:
http://www.trefis.com/stock/qcom/articles/13964/can-snapdragon-stop-qualcomms-chipset-pricing-declines/2010-03-24

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05