Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2166

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 GPS on the Apple iPhone and iPad - smartphoneGPS.com
 [TOPIC] Garmin iPhone Designer Car Kit
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gpspassion

93884 Posts

Posted - 25 juin 2012 :  14:27:53  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
GARMIN IPHONE DESIGNER CAR KIT

After being a late starter in the GPS on Smartphones market for obvious reasons (full line of GPS systems and nuviFone project with Asus), Garmin played catchup at a steady pace with the StreetPilot software for iOS and the purchase of Navigon last year, a Smartphone GPS leader. Their latest offer is the Designer Car Kit for the iPhone 4 and 4S.

Offering a car kit is certainly a good idea because this is a required piece of kit if you want to navigate with your iPhone, both to see it properly and to keep it charged. The TomTom Car Kit released in late 2009 certainly did very well for them. Garmin's version was designed by the Platinumdesign studio and certainly looks smart. It's a kit so you get access to Garmin's StreetPilot software for full "on-board" (maps and routes handled locally) guidance.

Questions, comments ?

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?

Ads

wco81

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 25 juin 2012 :  19:15:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1. It seems limited to iPhone 4/4S when iPhone 5 is a few months away.

2. At 30 quid, it must not have its own GPS like the TomTom, nor an amplified speaker?

It looks nice but seems expensive for what it is. I'd rather have something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/ME-USDM-Universal-Dashboard-built-Stratosphere/dp/B007PSPQ7W/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pdT1_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=3MES65KGZXELG&coliid=I1NE48Z1GI9XVT

If a bigger iPhone is released (or the rumored iPad Mini), that has a chance of fitting it. You have to supply your own charger but it's cheaper.

Amplified speaker is kind of a must. New cars are getting aux jacks and even USB ports but you can't depend on rental cars having that.

Go to Top of Page

gpsmapper

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 26 juin 2012 :  12:50:57  Show Profile  Visit gpsmapper's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks like a repackaged Navigon iPhone mount to me.

Rich
Go to Top of Page

ve7mdt

Canada
170 Posts

Posted - 26 juin 2012 :  13:18:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I had my iPhone 3G, I bought a mount from Griffin. I sold the mount when I upgraded to iPhone 4 (also sold) as the mount only has clip on pieces for iPod Touch, iPhone, iPhone 3G(S).

And for amplified sound, I have nothing except using a 3-in-1 charger-FM_Transmitter-dock for iPhone from a cheap brand. I modified the short cable to a long cable by extending it (gave away as I don't have iPhone anymore). The FM transmitter is not very good and only 4 frequencies. But the charger is very fast and good quality.

I think if they bother to label it as a Car Kit, then amplified speaker is a must (GPS might not be needed as the iPhone 4 GPSr is very good), even old mobile mounts from Semsons (one old sponsor of this site and I have bought lots from in old days) have the amplified speakers.

iPad WiFi w/ RoqyBT to use BT GPSr, LG Optimus G2x, BenQ S6, Samsung Q1, Toshiba e830, Toshiba e805, HTC Advantage X7501, Nextar MN2707 running P7, Magellan Springboard GPS on Visor 2MB, Haicom HI-303III + BT slipper, Holux GPSlim236, eTrex yellow
TomTom 1.9 for iOS, Navigon 2.0 for iOS, Navigon for Android, Garmin Mobile XT, Delorme Street Atlas 2009, Streets & Trips 2010, MapPoint 2010, APRSIS/CE, APRSIS/32, APRSDroid
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93884 Posts

Posted - 26 juin 2012 :  13:26:52  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, it's a pretty basic "kit" and it does remind me of the Navigon style of mounts, might as well use the expertise of the company they bought ;-)

I'm not about to replace my TomTom iPhone Car Kit, "drop in", powered, amplified and even though my 4S built-in GPS module is powerful enough (probably even better since it can leverage AGPS) not to need the built-in GPS module of the mount it probably helps it not to heat up by using it.

Still, Garmin's kit is probably there to encourage people to jump on board with a "turn key" solution rather than not doing it because they'll have to get the pieces separately.

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

Jim1348

USA
534 Posts

Posted - 30 nov. 2012 :  16:52:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It looks like this has not made it to the United States.
Go to Top of Page

wco81

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 01 déc. 2012 :  16:58:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm thinking of this one:

http://www.amazon.com/iOttie-Windshield-INCREDIBLE-BlackBerry-RotatableRotatable/dp/B007FHX9OK/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1354377111&sr=8-7&keywords=iphone+4+dash+mount

But there are conflicting reports in the reviews on how well it sticks to dashboards.

Or something like this, so that I can try something like the iPad Mini or another 7-inch tablet:

http://www.amazon.com/Arkon-SM517-Windshield-7-Inch-Tablets/dp/B004M8ST36/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=3MES65KGZXELG&coliid=I38DIY2NV9D93A

This one looks interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6BsGrU9y_U

But you have to order it out of Britain, it looks like.
Go to Top of Page

mediawdr

Saudi Arabia
1 Posts

Posted - 23 mars 2013 :  16:09:55  Show Profile  Visit mediawdr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i have car DVD + GPS
I dont know the software or operating system
the information as follows written

APIVer: 2012-09-20 09:46:16 v1.80
MCU: 2012-12-13- 10:33:16 9023_v1.22-BD3702_S
DVD ver 120921p1EN-1
LASH Capacity : 6/21 MB
RAM Capacity 77/112 MB
GPS COM1 9600

please help me upgrade details and need software installation procedure

Edited by - mediawdr on 23 mars 2013 16:14:51
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,58 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05