Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2294

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 GPS on the Apple iPhone and iPad - smartphoneGPS.com
 [TOPIC] Apple Maps GPS on iOS 6 with TomTom data
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

offthegrid

USA
399 Posts

Posted - 12 juin 2012 :  02:17:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Details on Apple Website : >> LINK <<

Original post : This was only a matter of time. This hasn't hit their share price yet but I have to believe that the stock will jump tomorrow on the news.

Great news for TomTom fans.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/11/apple-tomtom-ios-6-maps/

Been wondering exactly which data service is replacing Google as Apple's map provider? According to these leaked screenshots (shown above) from the iOS 6 developer beta running on an iPhone 4S, it appears to be TomTom. The company is no stranger to iOS, as its navigation app and car kit have been available on the iPhone since 2009. On an interesting note, the maps application specifically mentions "data from TomTom, others," which means there may be other suppliers that aren't getting called out by name. We'll keep you posted as we hear more what's going on behind-the-scenes.

Update 1 : TomTom has independently confirmed to us that it indeed "has signed a global agreement with Apple for maps and related information."

Update 2 : TomTom up 15% in European trading. Like shooting fish in a barrel.

Ads

gpspassion

94026 Posts

Posted - 12 juin 2012 :  20:12:50  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Interesting, but apparently the agreement is for "maps and related information", with "related information" likely being traffic and possibly speedcams. It does seem that "TomTom" could be replaced by "TeleAtlas" for the most part. Here's that huge investment (GPS Business - TomTom to acquire TeleAtlas) paying off at last. I'm guessing the actual navigation software will be "in-house", they can afford to hire programmers ;-)

[ed - strike comment on Google Maps !]

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

Kex

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 12 juin 2012 :  20:13:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More information:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57450800-37/apple-taps-tomtom-for-new-ios-maps-app-data/
http://www.apple.com/ios/ios6/maps/

It still seems unclear how this will compare to the TomTom app for iPhone. In terms of data usage, for example, but also concerning traffic information (TomTom HD Traffic or not) and IQ Routes.

TomTom XL 340S LIVE, GO LIVE 2535M, XL 340TM (RDS-TMC) in LA traffic
Garmin StreetPilot 2720 (worthy, but retired)
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94026 Posts

Posted - 12 juin 2012 :  20:23:10  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the links, interesting Apple already have these details on their website. My money's on traffic being included in the "related information" that Apple are licensing from TomTom, it would not make sense for them to use another source.

Differences with TomTom Navigator ? Apple Navigation looks like "off-board" navigation...at least until Google make good on their recent promise to bring "real on-board".

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

Kex

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 12 juin 2012 :  20:29:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It has been confirmed by a friendly TomTom employee that the new maps service will require an active cellular network to function. I don't know if this also true of the TomTom app for the iPhone (but I'm sure that you do, gpspassion!). Obviously, a lot of people are wondering what the advantages of the TomTom iPhone app will be when compared to the new integrated maps.

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94026 Posts

Posted - 12 juin 2012 :  20:34:21  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Makes sense, and no TomTom Navigator for iOS is "on-board" (maps stored and routes calculated on the device) navigation of course.

Go to Top of Page

Kex

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 12 juin 2012 :  20:40:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That does seem to give the TomTom app some value in comparison.

I knew the maps for the app were stored on the device, but I didn't know if turn-by-turn directions could continue to function using the app without a cellular signal. I'm assuming there's no reason for the GPS signal to be lost along with with the cellular signal, but maybe you can confirm this, just to be completely clear what is meant by "on-board".

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94026 Posts

Posted - 12 juin 2012 :  23:14:55  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, a smartphone, be it Android or iOS, has a full blown GPS receiver, the antenna is smaller but with AGPS time to fix is just as fast, if not faster than with an AIO, but the accuracy is a bit lower due to the smaller antenna but again AGPS can help and snap to road hides it from the user. So with "on-board" software like TomTom, an iPhone works exactly like an AIO, like the XL, GO LIVE, Garmin nuvi, etc...

The next frontier based on Google's recent comments is adding free on-board GPS to the platform, it remains to be seen how that will go, Google and Apple get a cut via Google Play and the Appstore of the sales of "on-board" GPS software.

Go to Top of Page

offthegrid

USA
399 Posts

Posted - 13 juin 2012 :  02:57:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The advantage of gps on a cell phone is that when the gps cannot be used the system can move to cell triangulation as a back up.

For all intent and purposed this seems like a complete replacement for the TomTom app aside from details that will come out with actual usage.

Actually even better since Siri works with the app making true hands free navigation possible.

continued : I would have to believe that Apple is buying the navigation - IQRoutes and the traffic avoidance algorithm along with the maps themselves although they are getting something from OpenStreetMaps so maybe those are the maps being used. They are usually 6 months to a year ahead of TomTom or Nokia maps so that would be a plus over a pure TomTom product.

Couldn't TomTom just piece OpenLR onto OpenStreetMaps??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenLR

"OpenLR is a royalty-free open standard for "procedures and formats for the encoding, transmission, and decoding of local data irrespective of the map" developed by TomTom."

I also have to believe that there is no way TomTom isn't getting the probe data on this along with some healthy licensing fees. If they are providing the traffic they are getting these probes.

Edited by - offthegrid on 13 juin 2012 03:01:34
Go to Top of Page

Kex

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 13 juin 2012 :  04:29:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by offthegrid ... they are getting something from OpenStreetMaps so maybe those are the maps being used. ...
The TomTom press release (if you can call it that) seems to confirm the maps are definitely from TomTom:

http://corporate.tomtom.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=682065

TomTom also seem to have been making efforts to improve the speed of map corrections in the past year or so, and working with Apple to replace Google maps could surely only improve that even further. It would seem logical that Apple would be very keen to ensure the service does not seem like a downgrade of any kind in comparison. Maybe Apple intends to include error reporting options similar to those available for Google maps to speed up improvements to mapping even further than the standard TeleAtlas/Navteq model of operating might have allowed for previously.

Choosing TomTom also makes sense since unlike Nokia (owner of Navteq maps, for those reading this who might not already know) or Google, they don't produce cell phone products. Why abandon Google because of Android just to team up with Nokia for Navteq?

Go to Top of Page

offthegrid

USA
399 Posts

Posted - 13 juin 2012 :  06:59:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This could just be maps where OSM has no products. They are using OSM and several other mapping products for something.

TomTom just had a rant over OSM being an inferior product from their own.

http://www.slashgear.com/tomtom-takes-shot-at-openstreetmap-29230630/

More and more I believe that Apple has taken a position in TomTom and this will morph into a sale soon enough.

OSM changes are so much faster than either TT or Nokia.

Edited by - offthegrid on 13 juin 2012 06:59:48
Go to Top of Page

Kex

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 13 juin 2012 :  08:44:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting. I don't much care about the Navteq/Nokia vs. TomTom comparisons in general, since one of my vehicles has Navteq built in, and I mostly use TomTom (especially for commuting and traffic). I consider both to be equivalent, and certainly more than adequate for accurate navigation in Los Angeles and beyond, with very few exceptions of a minor nature.

However, after reading that article about OpenStreetMaps I decided to investigate TomTom's claims of inaccuracy, and immediately found an error in my neighborhood, less than two miles from my own location (a major urban area, albeit a residential neighborhood). Within sixty seconds, in fact. The error is minor, but there are no errors within ten miles of here that I am aware of in TomTom maps, or Navteq maps.

I then investigated a very rural area, but near a major Point of Interest in Colorado, where I travel regularly. Navteq maps, Google maps, and also TomTom maps are all at least 90% accurate in this area. Google maps are the best here, but the other two have made very significant improvements in the last two years. Again, within sixty seconds, I found that OSM were wrong, with missing roads, incorrect road names, and pedestrian paths shown as vehicle worthy. The level of errors here were far in excess of what I witnessed there with Navteq maps in 2007 ... five years ago. A person not familiar with the area could certainly get lost given this level of inaccuracy. Not something Apple would be happy with, compared to the very accurate Google maps of the area.

Maybe Apple are using OSM for the method of map reporting? In fact, TomTom may be speaking from experience when they criticize OSM: TomTom's own MapShare reporting is the darling of some, and the bane of others, because of inaccurate or insufficient reporting. I tend to not trust or use the "sharing" function, but I love the ability to instantly correct certain information on my own device.

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94026 Posts

Posted - 13 juin 2012 :  09:32:01  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There's no way TomTom have signed up for this just to ad traffic data on top of OSM maps, remember how much they paid foe TeleAtlas ? Link is above in my first reply.

It's off-topic here but there is currently no comparison in quality between the crowd-sourced OSM maps and professionally designed maps like the Navteq or TeleAtlas/TomTom maps, sure they look good now but the "extra mile"/"last 10%" are the hardest to get to and have required investments in the billions by these companies over 20+ years now. I won't even go into the map attributes that we can't see. TomTom have the crowd-sourced part covered with MapShare too.

Back to the upcoming iOS 6 GPS app, until it's "on-board" or 3G/4G is free and has 100% coverage, an AIO like a GO or a nuvi will keep some edge (cell/wifi positioning is ok for Google Maps but you can't navigate with it). Again it will be interesting to see how Google deliver on their promise of "full GPS" (see the GMN topic) and if Apple will try to match it.

Go to Top of Page

offthegrid

USA
399 Posts

Posted - 13 juin 2012 :  15:32:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The real loser here is Garmin since without their own maps they are left to compete with only their own nav products.

Kex, you can correct all those errors yourself with OSM and for everyone not just yourself. Major road changes such as new bridges can take a year or more for TT or Nokia to change and those things can cause high speed accidents with people in the wrong lane etc looking for an exit that is no longer there.

I agree its unlikely that Apple is using OSM for maps but maybe as Kex said they are using it as a mapshare type feature. The fact that so many map providers are contributing here makes me think again that Apple has a position in TomTom because TT wouldn't allow any mix and match of their maps otherwise. Just speculation on my part but the rumor that the owners wanted to take TT private a month or so ago sort of fits that imo.
Go to Top of Page

offthegrid

USA
399 Posts

Posted - 13 juin 2012 :  20:46:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
True Worth of Tom Tom’s Apple Deal Remains Unclear

http://blogs.wsj.com/source/2012/06/12/true-worth-of-tom-toms-apple-deal-remains-unclear/

There is a lot of speculation over who is providing what. I agree with GPSPassion that TomTom has to be providing the bulk of the mapping, traffic etc. but according to the Wall Street Journal Apple was in talks with TomTom for a year before this was put together. We won't know till 4th quarter or 1st quarter next year what the financial ramifications are. For Apple to integrate all these other features into their nav they must have had access to TomTom's program and they'd need that level just to integrate it into the phone os.

Waze is also listed and Techcrunch is saying they are providing traffic and maps - that's a big NO on that. Maybe Waze traffic probes are being used so they can get some percentage of Android probes.

http://www.dailywireless.org/2012/06/13/waze-integrated-into-apple-maps/

I really believe that Apple is very close to owning TomTom.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94026 Posts

Posted - 13 juin 2012 :  23:13:18  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Interesting but the wsj is missing the "on-board"/"off-board" crucial difference, I've explained that above.

I agree that Waze providing traffic and maps on top of TomTom is confusing, except as probes, but do they even need that? Hopefully we'll find out more over the coming weeks.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,56 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05