Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2165

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 GPS on Google Android - gps4android.com
 Samsung Galaxy S3 and Samsung Galaxy Note
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Hurston

30 Posts

Posted - 05 mai 2012 :  18:31:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It seems that these two phones can receive signals from GLONASS satellites, by virtue of a Broadcom BCM47511 chip. I've no idea how well the chip performs, and I'm sure the antenna is rubbish, but it will be worth keeping an eye on. I hope to buy an S3 when it is released, so I will let you know how it goes. Does anyone have a Galaxy Note and can report on how well the GPS performs?

Ads

ghostfish

3 Posts

Posted - 28 mai 2012 :  22:34:05  Show Profile  Visit ghostfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I see no differences in the GPS performance between my new Galaxy Note and the Garmin Oregon 400 I've been using so far.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93882 Posts

Posted - 06 juin 2012 :  14:00:11  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hurston

It seems that these two phones can receive signals from GLONASS satellites, by virtue of a Broadcom BCM47511 chip.

So Samsung have moved away from SiRF (the S2 used SiRFstarIV) again? Wonder what's up, GPS performance was decent on the S2 although with the terrible antenna you couldn't expect very accurate tracking.

The iPhone 4S also uses that chip but GLONASS reception has not been "unlocked" so far...

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

stevebirch01

3 Posts

Posted - 26 juin 2012 :  22:27:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've just received a Galaxy S3 and starting testing the GPS.
My previous smartphone was a HTC Desire S that had relatively poor GPS performance, especially with a protective case fitted - I beleive that this de-tuned the GPS antenna. I have also used separate SIRFstar III based devices, so I have a good idea of performance benchmarks.
Anyway, back to the GS3...
Sensitivity and lock speed is nothing short of stunning. Typical lock time is only a few seconds even from "cold" or with no network connection to "assist".
As an example, it's easy to get a lock with 12 satellites inside my house (and away from a window), or many more in the car even with its athermic windscreen that tends to shield the signals.
I can't yet comment on accuracy, but it's more than adequate for all common navigation purposes.
Anyone wanting more info, just ask!
- Steve
Go to Top of Page

Turbo33

France
32 Posts

Posted - 26 juin 2012 :  23:01:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,Steve,
What navigation software are you using ?
BR.

Edited by - Turbo33 on 26 juin 2012 23:01:59
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93882 Posts

Posted - 26 juin 2012 :  23:51:16  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good question, but the GPS performance Steve is telling us about is independent from the GPS software being used. Good GPS test software on Android includes GPS Test or GPS Status.

Very interesting report, getting an instantaneous cold fix (or at least warm, i.e. no fix in the past 4 hours) means there is some type of AGPS at play though as this type of fix requires downloading of the ephemeris data and that always takes at least 30 seconds in ideal conditions (can't do it indoors for instance as the signal level needs to be around 30dB). GPS Status automatically downloads and stores predictive ephemeris data for instance.

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

stevebirch01

3 Posts

Posted - 27 juin 2012 :  00:16:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are numerous Android apps available to indicate relative signal strength, but to avoid loading extra apps which are (usually) unnecessary for me, I use the GPS status screen in the "Copilot" navigation software. This has the usual vertical bars we are familiar with. It suggests very much higher received signal strength on my GS3 compared to my old HTC.
I assume that the rapid acquisition is partly due to assisted GPS, and also due to the availability of numerous extra satellites due to the GLONASS reception. I still can't beleive how well it works downstairs in my old (solid!) house, in circumstances where my standalone SIRFstar III box (which I thought was rather good) would struggle to hold fix at all, let alone acquire from cold.
I've got the schematics if anyone's interested ;-) The GPS front-end is a Skyworks SKY65702-11 GaAs pHEMT module, and the main GPS chip is Broadcom BCM47511.

- Steve
Go to Top of Page

lucvl

Belgium
65 Posts

Posted - 07 juil. 2012 :  17:08:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi, i can fully confirm what steve is saying: incredible, much faster lock then on my garmin 3790t.
Seriously thinking of switching fully to galaxy s3 and dumping the garmin.
I tested some GPS softwares (Navigon, motonav, copilot and sygic) and my favorite is sygic simply because tf the multi waypoint planning flexibility (i use this for motorbike trips)
Sygic however requires a good processor. My previous motorola defy crashed several times with sygic. No problems so far with the s3..

Samsung Galaxy s3, Garmin 3790t, Becker Z100, BMW R1200GS

Edited by - lucvl on 07 juil. 2012 17:09:29
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93882 Posts

Posted - 16 juil. 2012 :  13:04:48  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good to hear, but again, this is quite normal for the fix to be much faster, almost instantaneous with full AGPS (live ephemeris, time, doppler, etc...) when the 3790 can only rely on synthetic ephemeris data (provided you use it each day). Same thing on my iPhone 4S but there's no way I'm giving up on the sheer convenience of my 3790 or GO 930 unless I need to travel light by plane (and then I'm still taking my TomTom Car Kit ;-).

Go to Top of Page

lucvl

Belgium
65 Posts

Posted - 16 juil. 2012 :  14:03:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gpspassion

Good to hear, but again, this is quite normal for the fix to be much faster, almost instantaneous with full AGPS (live ephemeris, time, doppler, etc...) ...

Don't quite agree with the statement of AGPS: AGPS only works with a data connection. I switch this connection off, like on the motorola.
Or is the element of data not correct?

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93882 Posts

Posted - 16 juil. 2012 :  18:49:05  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No, AGPS data can also come over WiFi and can be stored on the device, the bottom line is that if you're getting an instant fix, AGPS data is available, details were given above on June 26th. Why are you switching off data on your S3 ? Don't do it for AGPS as carriers don't charge users for that type of data.

I'm the first one to enjoy a quick fix, did hours of testing over the years, but that's not the only criteria for the choice of guidance system, hence my previous message about your wanting to "dump" your 3790...I certainly wouldn't, having been guided perfectly by my 3790 among the urban canyons of Chicago and NYC last summer, getting a fix (I used it everyday so had good synthetic ephemeris) was never a problem.

Go to Top of Page

lucvl

Belgium
65 Posts

Posted - 16 juil. 2012 :  19:12:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I payed once 100 euro for 50 mb of data (during 2 weeks). This is what I call legal criminality.
That's why data is switched off.
Same for wifi: even when I am not on the network (outside) I have an amazingly quick fix, muh fatser than garmin.
How can this be explained?
The fix is done on a place where i was not before: first my last location is shown, and in seconds (approx 3) the new location is shown. Never had this with garmin, even when on the ame location.
Sorry, but I have to agree with Steven, and again disagree with you.
I would suggest to try the galaxy s3 and put some benchmarking on it.
Or if you tell me what to do, I can try to do it for you?

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93882 Posts

Posted - 16 juil. 2012 :  19:28:00  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No need to get an S3, my iPhone 4S does the same, it's the same BCM chipset so no surprise there.

Anyway if you want to do see it for yourself, turn off WiFi, 3G (and cellular to be on the safe side) and try to get a fix in the countryside 12 hours later with GPS Status running to see what's going on, I can guarantee that you will not get a fix in 3 seconds, it's physically impossible (as explained above). With up to date synthetic ephemeris it will take about 10 seconds, without synthetic ephemeris data it will take 30 seconds. TTFF with your 3790 should be the same so take it for comparison purposes.

And again, it's not because you get a fix in 3 seconds that you should "dump" your 3790 but if do you'll certainly make someone happy ;-)

Go to Top of Page

lucvl

Belgium
65 Posts

Posted - 16 juil. 2012 :  20:26:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
will check and come back to you.
but rest asure: i will not dump the 3790: it is still the one with the best visibility in the sun, which I need when riding the motorbike.

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93882 Posts

Posted - 16 juil. 2012 :  20:56:54  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ah good, was feeling bad for that trusty old GPS ;-)

Go to Top of Page

lucvl

Belgium
65 Posts

Posted - 18 juil. 2012 :  21:04:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
did the check a few times without wifi, at more than 10 km from the previous place:
it took between 10 and 20 seconsds. This is longer than with wifi (3 seconds) but still substantially faster than the 3790.
Nevertheless I remain faithfull to the 3790 for its visibility :-)

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,61 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05