Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2264

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Advanced Topics
 GPS Dataloggers and Geocoding
 GPS data logger for trips with no power and PC ?
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

fkjensen

2 Posts

Posted - 05 mars 2012 :  20:07:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have looked and looked, but I still can't find a suitable GPS logger for longer trips without access to computer and power.
Perhaps some of you have an idea?

Must have:
1. Memory for about 1 month of logging (16 hours/day) at 10 sec. intervals.
2. Run on common rechargeable batteries (e.g. AA/AAA)
3. Reliable

Nice to have:
4. Fast signal lock
5. Good sensitivity
6. Robust
7. Connect as a usb storage device for easy transfer of files.
8. Small(ish)

I have been using the Gisteq Phototrackr lite for some years
(http://www.gisteq.com/PhotoTrackr/phototrackr-dpl700.php).
It delivers on 1 and 2, which is why I bought it, and I could just buy another one (since it broke on my last trip).
However sometimes it stop logging and starts flashing like crazy, so it is not really that reliable.
It is not that fast to acquire lock (but I can live with it). Sensitivity is fair. However it is far from robust, and even though I have been very careful, on my last trip it finally broke. The software that comes with it is not that good either.

Any suggestions for a replacement?

EDIT: I have been looking a bit on the AMOD AGL3080, however I am not too keen on using 3xAAA each day. I 10 day hike would require ~30 batteries... The Gisteq Phototrackr lite will last around 10-14 hours on 1xAA, i.e. requiring 1 or 2 batteries a day (AA are bigger, yes, but they are the same I use for my flash, so I normally bring some spare anyway)

~Frank

Edited by - fkjensen on 05 mars 2012 20:22:52

Ads

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 15 mars 2012 :  16:10:41  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Had bookmarked this for later, sorry. Yes the market hasn't really been able to address needs like yours. I'd say the AMOD is the closest (the USB stick mode is very valuable) but it would have been preferable to have two AA batteries. I've decided to try Eneloop NiMH's in mine to see how much battery life I can get out of it.

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

fkjensen

2 Posts

Posted - 20 mars 2012 :  22:32:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 3xAAA is really what is stopping from buying the AMOD.

I have actually been looking at the Garmin eTrex 10/20, however the size and weight could be an issue. Also I have i little trouble figuring out what "Track log: 10,000 points, 200 saved tracks" mean. Is it 200 tracks of 10,000 points each or 10,000 points in total? On the plus side they promise 25h on 2xAA (and maybe more if you can turn of the display...)

As a far out alternative, I am thinking of making my own. Maybe based on the Arduino platform.

~Frank
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 21 mars 2012 :  14:33:43  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Finished my battery life testing with the AMOD and the Eneloops and got 17h10 with one point recorded every 5 seconds, not too bad. It's too bad it doesn't have a sensor to go to "sleep" like a Gisteq once had. As I posted in its topic I found I could retrieve the log on my iPad using the USB camera kit.

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05