Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 1929

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Garmin nüvi forums
 Garmin 50lm Accuracy
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mlw21665

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 04 mars 2012 :  23:37:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi ,
I recently purchased a Garmin 50lm, it get me close to my destination, but always
seems to be 100 to 500 ft off. I don't know if I'm expecting to much. But the one in my Honda is exact to the location. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Morris

Edited by - Mlw21665 on 04 mars 2012 23:39:53

Ads

ST-Bob

USA
3683 Posts

Posted - 04 mars 2012 :  23:48:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If your destination is a latitude/longitude it should get you within 3 meters 95% of the time with a good GPS signal. However, if you're navigating to an address, it will usually be off because Garmin and most other PNDs use an algorithm to determine where each address should be along any given street.

For example, if Main Street goes from 1 to 1000, 500 Main Street would be exactly 1/2 way down the street if all lots were equally wide where they met the street. Since this is almost never true, errors creep into the algorithm. There simply isn't enough storage space in the map data to hold the exact latitude/longitude of every street address on the map.

So if this is the problem, you're expecting too much. If the GPS signal is bloccked by trees, buildings etc. it can cause errors which your car's navigation corrects by counting wheel revs and referencing the flux-gate compass (neither of which are in your Garmin 50).

Bob Peloquin - Moderator-Lowrance iWay forum
Massachusetts, USA
Various Iways, nüvi 750
Go to Top of Page

Carbuff

USA
149 Posts

Posted - 05 mars 2012 :  00:20:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When the GPS announces "Destination Ahead" you need to be looking for the mark because of the characteristics Bob mentioned.

I'm used to looking at the mileage to destination countdown...When I'm close, I'm looking.

The Carbuff
Nuvi 1490LMT w/EcoRoute HD
Quest 2
NJ, USA
Go to Top of Page

Mlw21665

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 06 mars 2012 :  18:27:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the help.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05