Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2317

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Garmin nüvi forums
 maps and multiple garmin products
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

kagoffice

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 23 févr. 2012 :  18:21:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a nuvi with lifetime city maps. I have downloaded the latest City Navigator. I am thinking about buying an Edge 800 it also recieves the same City Navigator Map. WIll i be able to use my already downloaded City Navigator for my Nuvi and install it also on my Edge 800? And if so how. THanks

Kurt

Ads

ST-Bob

USA
3684 Posts

Posted - 23 févr. 2012 :  18:28:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No - 1 GPS: 1 map purchase

multiple GPS: multiple map purchases

Bob Peloquin - Moderator-Lowrance iWay forum
Massachusetts, USA
Various Iways, nüvi 750
Go to Top of Page

kagoffice

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 23 févr. 2012 :  18:33:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks (i think) do you the benefit of adding the additional City Navigator Map. the product itself comes with mapping and GPS what additional information is received in the additional product.

Kurt
Go to Top of Page

ST-Bob

USA
3684 Posts

Posted - 23 févr. 2012 :  18:35:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Updated maps. Garmin releases new maps approximately every 3 months. Other than that - no reason to add to the internal maps unless you need something not already included.

Massachusetts, USA
Various Iways, nüvi 750

Edited by - ST-Bob on 23 févr. 2012 18:36:36
Go to Top of Page

kagoffice

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 23 févr. 2012 :  18:38:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok thanks i appreciate it.

Kurt
Go to Top of Page

ST-Bob

USA
3684 Posts

Posted - 23 févr. 2012 :  18:45:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The whole issue revolves around your original question. You have one lifetime map subscription and you asked if you could use it on multiple GPS units. The answer is, of course, no.

When you buy a lifetime map update (or GPS which includes lifetime maps) you're really only purchasing a license to use the update - not the update itself.

The license is for one GPS and it is locked to a particular GPS by its internal serial number. The installation process polls the GPS and your saved license key to produce the final map data file which is sent to the GPS. A map data file made for one GPS will not work on any other.

This is how Garmin controls map licenses so that their map provider gets compensated for their efforts in keeping maps up to date. We never talk about circumventing this process here at GpsPasSion.

Massachusetts, USA
Various Iways, nüvi 750

Edited by - ST-Bob on 23 févr. 2012 18:47:24
Go to Top of Page

kagoffice

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 23 févr. 2012 :  18:48:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i wasn't trying to circumvent anything. I actually asked the same question to the Garmin support folks they just haven't answered yet.

Kurt
Go to Top of Page

ST-Bob

USA
3684 Posts

Posted - 23 févr. 2012 :  18:50:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't mean to imply you would do this - I assumed you already knew this. Sorry.

Massachusetts, USA
Various Iways, nüvi 750

Edited by - ST-Bob on 23 févr. 2012 18:51:28
Go to Top of Page

kagoffice

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 23 févr. 2012 :  18:55:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no problem looking at the garmin website they seem to imply a difference. They say the product comes with a "Built-in basemap; optional detailed maps" what do they mean by that?

Kurt
Go to Top of Page

Boyd

USA
1731 Posts

Posted - 23 févr. 2012 :  19:03:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The basemap is pretty useless for most purposes. It will only show major cities, state boundaries, big rivers and a few roads. If you want detailed maps of any kind (topo or city) you need to purchase them.

You can purchase via download, on a pre-programmed card or on a DVD. Updates are not available for the download and pre-programmed cards, they would need to be replaced if you want newer maps at a future date. The DVD version can be updated, but you would have to purchase that separately, either as a one time or lifetime version.

All of the nuvi's include a full map that's already installed when you purchase it. They are then eligible for either lifetime or one time updates. Some of the newer models include lifetime updates with the original purchase.

But you're in a different boat, for detailed road maps you would need to

1. purchase City Navigator on DVD
2. purchase the lifetime update for the DVD

Edited by - Boyd on 23 févr. 2012 19:05:14
Go to Top of Page

sussamb

United Kingdom
905 Posts

Posted - 23 févr. 2012 :  19:04:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The built in basemap is a rather crude map with only some of the road networks and cities shown. It's all but useless.

Examples of optional detailed maps are the same type of maps that you get on car GPS units or topo maps.

Edited by - sussamb on 23 févr. 2012 19:05:03
Go to Top of Page

sussamb

United Kingdom
905 Posts

Posted - 23 févr. 2012 :  19:06:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Boyd beat me to it

Edited by - sussamb on 23 févr. 2012 19:07:40
Go to Top of Page

ST-Bob

USA
3684 Posts

Posted - 23 févr. 2012 :  19:08:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The base-map has only the major highways and connectors, no street details. Adding street-level mapping will make is somewhat similar to a Nuvi but not 100% the same. It may or may-not include the full City Navigator maps depending on the model you purchase. The plain-Jane model may not have enough memory to hold the City Navigator maps internally and will therefor only be able to add them via micro-SD cards. Micro-SD cards are not updatable so if you want or need detailed city street maps, you'd better buy the fully loaded one with them internal.

Edit: The street-level maps are only available on micro-SD card for the Edge 800

Massachusetts, USA
Various Iways, nüvi 750

Edited by - ST-Bob on 23 févr. 2012 19:39:39
Go to Top of Page

kagoffice

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 23 févr. 2012 :  19:15:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dont understand the plain jane reference. There is only one Garmin 800. You can but a bunch of add ons like heart rate monitor, cadance stuff but the basic unit is the same in both boxes yes?

Kurt
Go to Top of Page

ST-Bob

USA
3684 Posts

Posted - 23 févr. 2012 :  19:19:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, there are multitudes of them. At least 10-15 different part numbers exist with different maps and different add-ons. The one with built-in City Navigator maps and "performance" package costs about $200 more than the one without.
Check this web page and click on the Versions tab.
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=160&pID=69043

Massachusetts, USA
Various Iways, nüvi 750

Edited by - ST-Bob on 23 févr. 2012 19:28:50
Go to Top of Page

Boyd

USA
1731 Posts

Posted - 23 févr. 2012 :  19:27:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool - thanks for that link, I never realized there were so many options for the Edge.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05