Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2173

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Garmin nüvi forums
 Just Bought a 1490T - Questions :)
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

teddyv

3 Posts

Posted - 09 févr. 2012 :  01:30:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Folks,

I just bought a Nuvi 1490T and had a few questions. I bought my first Garmin, a GPS III, about 14 years ago, and since have owned a GPS V, a SP III, and currently use a 2610 mostly on the motorcycle. I had some questions before I dig in and start messing things up.

1. I use MapSource and have maps for the SPIII and 2610 installed and unlocked. I noticed the 1490T does not come with a map disk, but have read on threads here that there is some option to download the maps to my laptop, I guess during a map update? So the question is, is there a way that I can download the maps, both on my laptop and home desktop, and keep a copy as backup in case I upgrade my laptop?

2. Is there a decent (and inexpensive) aftermarket source of a fused hot power lead so I can hardwire a connection on the motorcycle?

3. Do I get a free map update with a new unit? Is there a preferred way to update the maps, and seperately update the firmware? I have seen a few different ways (dashboard, webupdater) - just want to make sure I don't miss out on being able to keep maps locally.

4. Does the unit charge on the computer USB cable? I'd like to be able to hook it up and mess around with it without starting the 60-day map update clock (if there is one with this???)

Thanks folks!

Ted

Ads

NanaimoRick

Canada
7698 Posts

Posted - 09 févr. 2012 :  05:58:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to our forum Ted.

Many of us prefer Webupdater as it lets you control what is being updated. With myDashboard,all you get is a message that there are updates available, with no listing of what those updates are.

Under Garmin's nuMaps guarantee you are entitled to one free map update if there is one released within 90 days of your Nuvi first obtaining a satellite lock. Since the latest update was only released in the last couple of days, your 1490T will probably be eligible. Go to myGarmin.com and open an account there, if you don't already have one, and register your 1490. That will get you started.

If you want to update the firmware separately, download, install and run Webupdater to do that.

Once the new firmware is installed you can go back to your myGarmin.com account and go to myDashboard. From there you will be able to see if you have a map update available and will be able to download and install it on your Nuvi. Watch the Map Installer screens and you will see a button on one right after the EULA that says "Install Options". Click that and select download to my device and to my computer. That will give you a copy of the map files for Mapsource to use on that machine.

I'm not sure how you'd get a copy of the maps on your other computer, other than attaching the Nuvi to that machine and downloading the maps again but this time selecting the option to download to the computer only. You can, of course, always use Garmin's Basecamp software instead of Mapsource. This option will allow you to use the maps on your computer attached 1490 so the actual map files don't need to be on either of your computers.

One thing you should know about the 1490 and that is it may not have enough room on the internal storage for the full North American or Europe maps to be installed. If this is the case you can do a forum search to see other posts on how to eliminate files from the device that are not required so free up space.

Rick James - Nuvi Forum Moderator
Nuvi 350 - Nuvi 760 - Nuvi 1695LM - Nuvi 3790LMT (with ecoRoutes HD) - Nuvi 2460LMT - Nuvi 3597LMTHD (with ecoRoutes HD) also TomTom 540S for side by side comparison >> Here <<
2014 Chevrolet Equinox 2LT AWD

Edited by - NanaimoRick on 09 févr. 2012 06:01:58
Go to Top of Page

sussamb

United Kingdom
851 Posts

Posted - 09 févr. 2012 :  07:32:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just one correction to the above, you're not limited to just one map update during that 90 day period but all map updates that are released, so depending on where in the cycle of updates you are you may very well get two

As Rick says, one has just been released so you can download that one and probably the next one also.

Edited by - sussamb on 09 févr. 2012 07:34:47
Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7437 Posts

Posted - 09 févr. 2012 :  14:20:13  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
@Ted:

You've gotten good advice above, so I'll just add my welcome to another biker and comment about that.

On my BMW I used to run a nuvi 760 using an aftermarket Garmin-compatible power plug and a cheapo 12v female socket hardwired through a fuse panel. I recommend retaining the 12v end of such a cable because Garmin uses a "fussy" 5v setup, meaning that if you cut the cable and wire it direct to 12v you often end up with the GPS refusing to come out of USB storage mode. There is probably a resistor in the 12v male plug that needs to be there.

In other words, you can use the cable that came with your 1490 plus a 12v female socket, available at any auto parts place. If you don't want to use the OEM cable then I'll try to find out what brand I bought, but if I recall correctly a Google search got me lots of choices, priced way less than Garmin.

Ride safe,

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Nüvi 760 in a '14 VW GTI & zumo 660 on a BMW F800 ST
Guide to working with pre-programmed routes: >> details <<
Language Guide / US Topo / 350 & 680 / MacBook & Intel iMac with OS X & Win XP / BaseCamp / Cape Cod, MA

Edited by - danham on 09 févr. 2012 14:22:03
Go to Top of Page

NanaimoRick

Canada
7698 Posts

Posted - 09 févr. 2012 :  15:26:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Think we may have missed one thing. Yes, the unit charges while connected to the PC via the USB cable.

Nuvi 350 - Nuvi 760 - Nuvi 1695LM - Nuvi 3790LMT (with ecoRoutes HD) - Nuvi 2460LMT - Nuvi 3597LMTHD (with ecoRoutes HD) also TomTom 540S for side by side comparison >> Here <<

Go to Top of Page

Boyd

USA
1719 Posts

Posted - 09 févr. 2012 :  16:07:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by teddyv

So the question is, is there a way that I can download the maps, both on my laptop and home desktop, and keep a copy as backup in case I upgrade my laptop?

Garmin has changed the way that maps are stored on your computer, so once you have them installed on the first machine, it will be very easy to move them to another one. On a Windows 7 or Vista machine you will find a City Navigator folder in C:\ProgramData\GARMIN\Maps

On a Windows XP machine you will find it here: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\GARMIN\Maps

After installing Mapsource and/or Basecamp on another machine, simply copy the City Navigator folder to the same location. This is much easier that moving older versions of City Navigator, which involved tinkering with the Windows registry.

Edited by - Boyd on 09 févr. 2012 16:07:43
Go to Top of Page

LChisum

USA
124 Posts

Posted - 10 févr. 2012 :  00:27:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And you will need to go through a little song and dance at the Garmin online unlock site to get the transferred maps unlocked.

Larry

GPS progression:
1999 Acura/Alpine in dash. Magellan Map330. StreetPilot Black&White.
StreetPilot ColorMap. StreetPilot 2610. Lowrance IWAY 250C. Nuvi 660. Nuvi 780. Nuvi 2460LMT. Nuvi 40LM. Nuvi 2595LMT
Go to Top of Page

teddyv

3 Posts

Posted - 10 févr. 2012 :  06:58:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the VERY helpful responses, much appreciated. I did call Garmin to see if I could get the maps on a disk, three times actually :) I am pretty amazed at how inconsistent the Garmin customer service reps have become, they used to be awesome without exception. First operator was a bit gruff and told me it is impossible to have the maps in mapquest on a computer, they only are available on the unit itself and all trip planning must be done on the unit. The second told me that I could update my maps and choose the laptop OR the unit, but not both. I hung up on her and called back again and the third rep (named Chris) was awesome and finally seemed to know almost as much as the folks here LoL. He explained/confirmed:
1. With the 1490T you get 90 days of free map updates from the time the unit is registered or first gets a satelite lock, whichever is first. He looked up the SN on mine and mentioned that since maps had just come out it is possible I would get both the most recent maps now as well as the next quarter's maps (est. about 85 days.)
2. He also mentioned that I could buy a new laptop, install Mapquest, hook up the 1490T, log into my.garmin.com's map page and just download my current Nuvi mapset right onto the new laptop. I could do this with as many computers as I want apparently - nice as I have a notebook, netbook, desktop and work :) This made me feel better about not having a disk.
3. He also mentioned that when the 2013 Q1 maps come out, ETA early May, I could not only update if it was still within the 90-days, I could ask for a disk then and they would send it.

So I feel a lot better now - thanks again everyone.

Edited by - teddyv on 10 févr. 2012 07:07:08
Go to Top of Page

NanaimoRick

Canada
7698 Posts

Posted - 10 févr. 2012 :  16:47:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One minor but important correction - I think you mean Mapsource, not Mapquest. ;-)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05