Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2243

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Garmin nüvi forums
 City Navigator 2012.40 NA - Released 02/2012
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

Quiet1

6 Posts

Posted - 12 févr. 2012 :  20:00:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@danham - Ok I did the middle screen touch and windows device manager temporarily sees the garmin device but after 30 seconds it is removed. It does not show as a windows drive. After some researching I ran the garmin update 3.0.8 while windows device manager recognizes the 760 but the garmin updater program crashes. I also retried the LMU as well and it crashes at the same point. Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7438 Posts

Posted - 12 févr. 2012 :  21:13:46  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sounds to me as if you need some Windows help, which I'm not qualified to give [g]. I would strenuously avoid using LMU, perhaps even uninstall it before doing anything else.

Other than that, let's hope a Win expert chimes in here.

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Nüvi 760 in a '14 VW GTI & zumo 660 on a BMW F800 ST
Guide to working with pre-programmed routes: >> details <<
Language Guide / US Topo / 350 & 680 / MacBook & Intel iMac with OS X & Win XP / BaseCamp / Cape Cod, MA
Go to Top of Page

Quiet1

6 Posts

Posted - 12 févr. 2012 :  21:35:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have uninstalled the LMU program and still have the same problem. I am fairly good with windows and currently I am at a loss. I even installed the latest garmi usb drivers. I will keep checking back to see if anyone else has any suggestions and if not I will call Garmin Support tomorrow.

Thanks to danham and NanaimoRick for you help so far.
Go to Top of Page

Quiet1

6 Posts

Posted - 13 févr. 2012 :  18:30:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just got off the phone with Garmin Support. After trying with it connected to the laptop and then just powering up in stand alone mode, the support person said the battery is most likely the problem and wanted me to RMA the unit for $99. I told the support person that it was working fine up until the map update. He was still insistent on being a battery issue.

I will attempt to do a long term charge overnight (even though 99% of the time it is powered from the vehicle).

I will try a different support person tomorrow.
Go to Top of Page

speedlever

USA
174 Posts

Posted - 13 févr. 2012 :  19:37:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For the record, I queried Garmin (and they were very good to respond) about the way they decide whether you get the large or the small JCV file. Here's a snip of their response:

The reason you can manually download the "JCV" file to your device but it initially chose the smaller version is because of the total memory on the device. This is because not everyone has an SD card to save their maps on. The engineers decided it would be better to provide a smaller "JCV" file so more of the maps can be saved directly on the device.

Unfortunately, the map update does not judge which "JCV" file to choose based on the free space on the device. It judges it based on the model. This model (Nuvi 1690) always chooses the smaller file by default. This means you will need to manually download the correct file again with the next update.

Ok. I can live with that.

-speedy
Go to Top of Page

smiley1081

Italy
1269 Posts

Posted - 13 févr. 2012 :  19:51:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do we get the large JCV file for Europe?
Go to Top of Page

Captcaper

USA
376 Posts

Posted - 14 févr. 2012 :  13:36:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Garmins server for the 2012.4 gets over taxed and gives problems. Think about all the Nuvi's trying to get an update? I've had nothing but trouble trying to get the update. Try again.

Presently owned Dezl 760LMT Montana 600 2460lmt 1490T SP2610 SP2720 GPSMAP 276C GPSMAP 60CS NorthStar 951XD in the boat since 1996.
Previous owned Garmin 48,76cs,210. Nuvi 880,1490T.
Go to Top of Page

Darbre

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 14 févr. 2012 :  16:42:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FWIW, my 760 updated last night quickly, and with no problems at all using the Lifetime Update software. However the LU software did not know there was an update, and I don't understand why that was. Seems kind of worthless if it won't alert when a new map is out. But forcing a check worked and the update was flawless.

dkilleen

++++++++
nuvi 760
nuva 765
zumo 660
++++++++

Go to Top of Page

Quiet1

6 Posts

Posted - 16 févr. 2012 :  01:25:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update:

Call Garmin again. The support person had my try several of the resets which I learned from here. He finally agreed they would RMA the unit for free since it failed during the update process.

Thanks for everyone's help.

--
Go to Top of Page

NanaimoRick

Canada
7715 Posts

Posted - 16 févr. 2012 :  03:11:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's great, Garmin support can be truly frustrating sometimes but then they do something like this just as often.

Rick James - Nuvi Forum Moderator
Nuvi 350 - Nuvi 760 - Nuvi 1695LM - Nuvi 3790LMT (with ecoRoutes HD) - Nuvi 2460LMT - Nuvi 3597LMTHD (with ecoRoutes HD) also TomTom 540S for side by side comparison >> Here <<
2014 Chevrolet Equinox 2LT AWD

Go to Top of Page

Captcaper

USA
376 Posts

Posted - 17 févr. 2012 :  13:10:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm having a hard time trying to install 2012.4. I choose install to device and pc. Takes hours. I leave it on at night. When I get up there is nothing showing on the desktop so I run Lifetime Updaters again and it keeps going "preparing files for download". In my Win7 files under program data/garmin/maps there is a folder for lifetime maps with 2012.4 in it. But can't get it to install.

Presently owned Dezl 760LMT Montana 600 2460lmt 1490T SP2610 SP2720 GPSMAP 276C GPSMAP 60CS NorthStar 951XD in the boat since 1996.
Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7438 Posts

Posted - 17 févr. 2012 :  14:31:26  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The two most likely causes for your troubles are Internet congestion and Lifetime Map Updater. The latter is easiest to fix: rip it out by the roots and throw it away and use myGarmin's dashboard and select Option 2. LMU is just not reliable.

If that doesn't do it, check your Internet connection because it shouldn't take all night unless you are on a slow setup or your computer sleeps during the transfer. I updated two GPSes and my computer all in less than 3 hours with a fairly standard cable broadband connection.

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Nüvi 760 in a '14 VW GTI & zumo 660 on a BMW F800 ST
Guide to working with pre-programmed routes: >> details <<
Language Guide / US Topo / 350 & 680 / MacBook & Intel iMac with OS X & Win XP / BaseCamp / Cape Cod, MA
Go to Top of Page

NanaimoRick

Canada
7715 Posts

Posted - 17 févr. 2012 :  16:13:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Download times for a map update are of course very dependent on the speed of your internet connection and the load on Garmin's servers. It takes about 3 hours to download and install maps on my home network in Canada but here in Mesa, AZ it takes from 5 1/2 to 6 hours. The difference is that my ISP service in Canada is twice as fast as the one in Arizona. Also, and I'm not sure why this is, it takes much longer to download maps to the Nuvi and your computer. Garmin warns you about this but doesn't really give any indication why.

That being said Captcaper's problem may not be with the download as it appears that that part of the process completes successfully sometime during the night as the map files are in their proper location on his computer. His problem looks like there is some issue with the map files being compiled into the gmapprom.img file that is then transferred to the Nuvi, which by the way, can also take a fairly long time depending on many factors to do with the PC, hard disk space, processor speed, etc.

I agree that not using the LMU is probably a good idea and I'd also suggest a couple of other things:

- since the map files appear to be on the computer and you can start the process to install them on your device, I'd disable your Anti Virus software and see if that allows the installation of the maps to complete.

- If the files are correctly on your computer, you could download and install Garmin's MapInstall program and use it to install those map files onto your GPS. This would completely bypass the update program while letting you get the maps installed. This may mean that you'd need to move the old map file from the Nuvi first to make space for the new one and rename the new file to gmapprom.img after the installation as I believe the default file name will be gmapsupp.img.

- if these suggestions don't work, I'd suggest you download the map update again, this time, using Option 2 and if possible do this at a time when you can monitor the progress of the installation. You should see the process of the download in the progress bars on the program screen, followed by a verification step to insure the files downloaded properly. Then a short step where the download files are compiled and finally a fairly long step showing the progress of the actual installation to the Nuvi. If all goes well you should have a good map installation at that point. You may want to disable your Anti Virus software before you attempt this redownload just to be sure that it isn't getting in the way and is the actual cause of all your issues.

Hopefully one of these suggestions will work for you. Good Luck.

Rick James - Nuvi Forum Moderator
Nuvi 350 - Nuvi 760 - Nuvi 1695LM - Nuvi 3790LMT (with ecoRoutes HD) - Nuvi 2460LMT - Nuvi 3597LMTHD (with ecoRoutes HD) also TomTom 540S for side by side comparison >> Here <<
2014 Chevrolet Equinox 2LT AWD

Edited by - NanaimoRick on 17 févr. 2012 16:18:42
Go to Top of Page

Puffins Nest

33 Posts

Posted - 17 févr. 2012 :  18:16:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It took me around 2.5 to 3 hours on Ultra High Speed. I also had to turn of the antivirus (sucks though), screen saver and adjust the power settings for the laptop. When I did that, my second try went flawlessly...using option 2. Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

Captcaper

USA
376 Posts

Posted - 18 févr. 2012 :  13:11:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I contacted Garmin support yesterday morning again ( I called the other day and the gal didn't help me at all) about it and got someone this time who was dead on. I didn't even know there was a 2nd option. My DSL isn't that fast here so that factored in on my on going attemps. I had told her I didn't understand why it took so long because I down load movies,etc. and she said these maps are a different type of download so it will take longer.??? new to me.
She did have me install option "2" which is Mapupdater. That did the trick. For some reason lifetime map updater just wouldn't work with my setup. I would have hoped I would check back here If I never called them because you guys had the right answer as well.
Thanks.

Edited by - Captcaper on 18 févr. 2012 13:20:21
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,69 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05