Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2402

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Garmin nüvi forums
 GarminCure3 - the new way to cure Garmin devices
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kunix

Belarus
194 Posts

Posted - 06 janv. 2012 :  10:06:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a special firmware patcher for creating cure firmwares. Patched firmwares enter the mass storage mode immediately, without going through the normal booting process ( e.g. they don’t display “Loading maps…” and so on). That’s why they don’t crash or hang up, therefore, they can be used for curing. It works even if your device was formatted into NTFS.

WARNING
  • Don't use GarminCure3.exe if you don't know how to enter pre-boot mode. Entering pre-boot is neccessary to flash firmwares after CURE firmware has been flashed.

• Don't flash GVN-52 and GVN-53 with the CURE firmware, as they don't have a real pre-boot mode.

The typical curing algorithm (in general) looks like this:
  • Flash your device with the CURE firmware (see below for more details). Please note that the CURE firmware will never boot, it can only enter the mass storage mode.

• Don’t disconnect your device from the PC. It should enter the mass storage mode and the PC should detect it as a new flash drive.

• If the filesystem on the flash drive is OK then you should try removing/renaming some files that could cause problems. Start from those files that were created/copied last. Don’t forget about making backups.

• If removing files doesn’t help, or you’ve accidentally formatted the flash drive into NTFS, or its filesystem is corrupted then you should reformat the flash drive into FAT or FAT32. Remember that when your device is cured you can restore most of the missing files by running WebUpdater.
      Many users have suggested that this way of formatting is preferable:http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=143809#1018653

• Unfortunately, some devices don't boot if the flash drive is totally empty (for example, nuvi 24x0). Then try copying it's contents from a healthy device of the same or close model. If even copying from the same model doesn't help then the problem is somewhere else, you need some other cure.

• “Safely” disconnect your device from the PC. It should turn off in a few seconds. If it doesn’t then press the power button for at least 30 seconds. Be aware that some devices don’t turn off this way. You should know how to turn your device off if it hangs up.

• Flash your device with the ORIGINAL firmware (see below for more details), and see if it boots normally. If it still doesn’t boot then go to step 1.

How to flash your device with the CURE or ORIGINAL firmware:
  • Download GarminCure3.exe and updater.exe from here:

• http://dl.dropbox.com/u/55759275/GarminCure3.zip
    GarminCure3.exe user interface looks like this:

• Download the original firmware if you don’t have it already.
    This link should help you: http://www8.garmin.com/support/blosp.jsp [ed]

• Run GarminCure3.exe and open the downloaded firmware with it. You can do it by dragging the firmware file into “Input file” box or by typing the path to the file or by pressing the “…” button.

• Press “Make firmware” button. Before doing that make sure the right option is selected from “CURE” and “ORIGINAL”.

• If everything is ok, “Processing OK : )” message will be printed and all controls inside “Output file(s)” box will be enabled. If it doesn’t happen, please, let me know.

• Then press "Updater.exe" button, which will launch updater.exe ready for flashing the firmware. Also you can drag the firmware files from the rectangle displaying their names.

• Then put your device into pre-boot mode and flash the firmware with updater.exe. Search through this forum for what is pre-boot mode and how to flash devices with updater.exe.

Devices that can be cured.
The tool was tested on nuvi 200 (HWID=660), 6x0, 13xx/14xx, 22x0, 24x0, 37xx. So it should work for all nuvis.
Almost all Garmin firmwares are patchable (except some marine GPSmaps and linux-based devices), but this doesn't guarantee successful curing, of course.

Known bugs and issues:
  • There is an issue under Windows Seven and Windows Vista if UAC is enabled. If you want GarminCure3.exe to run Updater.exe then GarminCure3.exe should be run as Administrator. But then drag&drop won’t work.

• Patched firmwares are stored inside GarminCure3-TEMP folder located near GarminCure3.exe. Don’t forget to delete GarminCure3-TEMP from time to time. Before deleting make sure updater.exe isn’t running.

P.S.
I would really appreciate if someone posts here a link to any good article about pre-boot mode and updater.exe. I will add it to the topic.

Edited by - kunix on 08 déc. 2012 13:09:38

Ads

dasilvarsa

106 Posts

Posted - 06 janv. 2012 :  11:25:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One Question ?
Is the cure firmware bootable ?
In other words can you get to the WhereTo ViewMap Screen ? or Is it just to get you into the file system ? (USB Flash Mode)

Like Like Like Like
Go to Top of Page

kunix

Belarus
194 Posts

Posted - 06 janv. 2012 :  11:33:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, it's not bootable.
Booting firmware is a bad idea, because it's likely to hang up or crash if it can't write to the internal flash drive.
Go to Top of Page

dasilvarsa

106 Posts

Posted - 06 janv. 2012 :  11:48:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What you've done here is a breakthrough in Fixing Garmin Nuvi.
Simple and straight forward, no editing Hex and changing Codes.
Anyone can do it.
Thanks for sharing and have yourself a Wonderful New Year.
Go to Top of Page

ferchuweb

Argentina
15 Posts

Posted - 10 janv. 2012 :  16:34:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tnk!

Nuvi 200w - Nuvi 360 - Nuvi 285w
Go to Top of Page

zerojj

12 Posts

Posted - 16 janv. 2012 :  23:37:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks kunix! worked on 265w

Edited by - zerojj on 19 janv. 2012 01:36:01
Go to Top of Page

acleite

Brazil
44 Posts

Posted - 17 janv. 2012 :  05:34:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It worked fine with a formatted 255W MTK. Great tool kunix!
Go to Top of Page

zerojj

12 Posts

Posted - 21 janv. 2012 :  06:24:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well, i mananged to do a very stupid thing... While using this great feature, i not only formatted the internal flash, i repartiioned it...

Now it's stuck in a permanent reboot loop no matter which firmwares i flash to it. only thing i can do is flash this version of cure and i can get it to mount internal flash. I can copy my entire backup of flash back, but once reflashed with regular fw, it is back into a boot loop.
I very stupidly forgot to take a raw dd image of the internal flash instead of just filesystem copy .... :(

I suspect from reading some other threads that I need to put some special filesystem headers on this?
Anybody know about this?

*** please take care with this wonderful method ***
Go to Top of Page

kunix

Belarus
194 Posts

Posted - 21 janv. 2012 :  07:43:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hm, I suspect that you should somehow be able to access the entire flash drive contents, not only separate partitions. At least under linux. Then you can just reformat it. Can't you?
Go to Top of Page

ddabcd277

310 Posts

Posted - 21 janv. 2012 :  11:50:11  Show Profile  Visit ddabcd277's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, kunix is correct reformatting should work. BTW I have noticed one interesting thing (think it is written on other places too) but for example if you delete the whole file system you can restore it by just writing a few mega bytes. Maybe someone can create an image of the its nuvi 2x5w memory and share it with you. Don't think it is a big problem. You should know on which region to flash it too.

Edited by - ddabcd277 on 21 janv. 2012 11:51:56
Go to Top of Page

kunix

Belarus
194 Posts

Posted - 21 janv. 2012 :  12:10:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that by flashing just a few first megabytes you only restore tree of folders. But almost all file contents will be completely messed up. Therefore you need reformatting anyway :)

But there is one situation when flashing healthy filesystem is useful. I've noticed that with some devices (in particular, my friend's 13xx) the following sequence of actions DOESN'T help against formatting into NTFS:
1) flash CURE3 firmware
2) format under Windows into FAT32 (quick format or full, doesn't matter)
3) flash original firmware

But the following sequence DOES help you:
0) flash a few megabytes from a healthy filesystem
1) flash CURE3 firmware (in fact, this step can be omitted, the result is the same)

Which is very surprising. Comparing the filesystems just after step 2 is completed shows that they ARE different. So, when you are formatting under Windows, the formatted contents DO depend on the previous contents, which is bad for us.
Can someone explain what's happening? Also I think there should be some formatting tool that makes good FAT32 independent of the previous filesystem state.

Edited by - kunix on 21 janv. 2012 12:16:16
Go to Top of Page

dasilvarsa

106 Posts

Posted - 21 janv. 2012 :  12:28:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
Maybe Nuvi is looking for Directory Structure and files.
What About ?
1) flash CURE3 firmware

2.5) Restore directory structure and some files previously backed up.

3) flash original firmware.

Question? How do we do this ?

0) flash a few megabytes from a healthy filesystem

Go to Top of Page

kunix

Belarus
194 Posts

Posted - 21 janv. 2012 :  12:32:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
2.5) doesn't help here, I've checked. In fact, 13xx is able to boot normally even if the filesystem is empty. The only requirement is that it's 'good' the sense mentioned above.
0) it's a loooong story :)

Edited by - kunix on 21 janv. 2012 12:33:07
Go to Top of Page

popej

Poland
533 Posts

Posted - 21 janv. 2012 :  14:53:47  Show Profile  Visit popej's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There are 2 different ways to format removable device:
1. As a superfloppy disk with single partitions starting at the very beginning of the media.
2. As a hard drive with partition table at the beginning and single partition following.

Windows has no option to change format type of the media, it simply preserves existing type. Garmin uses first type of format and probably doesn't recognize second type. So if you switched to version 2, than formatting won't help. You need to use better tools. For example you can re-format nuvi under Linux using option -I for mkdosfs:
mkdosfs -I -F 32 /dev/...

Under Windows you can try to use programs like RMPRepUSB http://www.rmprepusb.com . I haven't done that kind of formating on my nuvi, so I can't guarantee that it all will work as I expect. My suggestion is to try following settings and run "6 Prepare Drive":

popej
Go to Top of Page

zerojj

12 Posts

Posted - 21 janv. 2012 :  16:39:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks all.. i was able to revive it somehow... i believe this is what happened:
under mac, disk utility, completely repartitioned the internal flash w/ erase (mbr + fat32). Reboot issue started after flashing original fw back.
then flashed back to cure fw, mounted disk and copied all of my backups (garmin folder, etc) back to internal flash. After flashing orig fw, still rebooting.
Went back to cure fw, mounted in windows xp, and reformatted fat, copied files back... still not working.
then reformatted in fat32 in windows, still not working.

then the following seemed to bring it back to life:
reformatted again, and just made one Garmin folder, and copied over only the following:
fs_image.ver
GarminDevice.xml
gmapbmap.img
gmapbmap.sum

I also put an sd card into the garmin, but doubt that had anything to do with booting

Of course, now I have a pin lock on it....
Go to Top of Page

dasilvarsa

106 Posts

Posted - 21 janv. 2012 :  21:34:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad to hear that it's fixed.
Without the cure you would'nt have been able to get back in there to try different options.
I bricked my nuvi 1300 last week playing with different firmwares and was able to get in there with the cure to delete files created by the alternative firmware and recover my nuvi.
I guess you formatted it by mistake the first time around.
Go to Top of Page

kunix

Belarus
194 Posts

Posted - 21 janv. 2012 :  22:44:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, popej!
This sequence DOES work for my friend's 13xx formatted into NTFS:
1) flash CURE3 firmware
2) format with RMPrepUSB (the settings were set up like on the screenshot)
So seems like I can update the tutorial with the RMPrepUSB step, right?
Go to Top of Page

Hamgray

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 27 mars 2012 :  16:18:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Kunix,
Hope you can advise me what to do next please. I was directed to this forum from another where I posted my query. It is under "Garmin nüvi forums\Garmin Nuvi 265WT".
I now realise changing to software v5 was not a good idea.
Could you please have a look and advise me what I can try next, I was confident up to now, but now etremely nervous about making more changes!
I cannot access the 265WT by USB anymore.
I didn't want to double post, hence ask you to check my query on the other posting.
Many thanks
Go to Top of Page

kunix

Belarus
194 Posts

Posted - 28 mars 2012 :  18:01:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First of all, I can help you only if you are able to enter pre-boot mode. As for me, I don't remember how to do it. So, continue trying other options:
1) Try doing as suggested here: http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=117599
2) One friend of mine came up with the following:
Turn off the nuvi and make sure the power slider is set to "OFF".
Press and hold the center of the display, then move the power slider to "LOCK", and connect the nuvi to the PC.
3) If none of the above helps you then try playing with the power slider and its positions. As I remember this has helped me once.
Go to Top of Page

barbaroja_ar

Argentina
5 Posts

Posted - 14 nov. 2012 :  18:04:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kunix

Here is a special firmware patcher I’ve just made. Patched firmwares enter the mass storage mode immediately, without going through the normal booting process ( e.g. they don’t display “Loading maps…” and so on). That’s why they don’t crash or hang up, therefore, they can be used for curing. It works even if your device was formatted into NTFS.

The typical curing algorithm (in general) looks like this:
[list]
  • Download the original firmware if you don’t have it already.
    This link should help you: http://www8.garmin.com/support/blosp.jsp [ed]

• Where can I find the 3490LMT firmware? I've ruined my brand new 3490, but cant find the firmware.

Thanks
    Go to Top of Page

kunix

Belarus
    194 Posts

Posted - 14 nov. 2012 :  18:14:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=nuvi+37xx+software+version
    "view page source" of the page, which is pointed by the first search result.

Edited by - kunix on 14 nov. 2012 18:15:38
    Go to Top of Page

barbaroja_ar

Argentina
    5 Posts

Posted - 14 nov. 2012 :  20:18:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by kunix

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=nuvi+37xx+software+version
    "view page source" of the page, which is pointed by the first search result.

Excellent advice.... feel so fool not to have think that by myself.
    Can you tell me if i can use GarminCure3 with this procedure and the GCD i've downloaded in the 3490LMT?

Edited by - barbaroja_ar on 14 nov. 2012 20:23:14
    Go to Top of Page

kunix

Belarus
    194 Posts

Posted - 14 nov. 2012 :  20:23:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    Yes, you can. At least it's not harmful.
    Go to Top of Page

mikeyk101

USA
    4 Posts

Posted - 27 janv. 2013 :  06:10:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    This thread helped me tremendously. I recently had serious issues with my Nuvi 765T. I had plugged it into the PC to make sure it was up to date on firmware, etc.. Each time I plugged it in, I kept getting some kind of error about files on the disk. I don't remember the exact warning but it was something like that. It kept asking me if I wanted to fix it. I could still access all the files on it though. But it happened one more time so I got tired of seeing that message so I selected to fix it. Prior to that though I had copied all the files onto my computer harddrive. I didn't know that I was in trouble til a couple of days later. A friend wanted to borrow it so I turned it on to check and when I selected the "view maps" on the home page, what should have been the map opened up but it was blank. No streets, no nothing. Just the bottom icons and the +/- icons. I tried zooming out and nothing. I tried using windows explorer to format the Nuvi and then tried dragging all the files back onto it. About halfway through it, there was a beep and an error message came on the computer screen telling me that it couldn't copy a file. So I restarted it and tried plugging in the USB cable. The computer no longer could see the Garmin and it also wouldn't go into PC mode. Finally after trying just about everything underthe sun for the last 2 days, I stumbled on this thread. I used the GarminCure3 to get the USB working using nuvi7x5_GCDFile__440.gcd which took some searching to find. Then I used RMPrepUSB with the settings exactly like in the screenshot. I left the internal memory blank this time, reused the GarminCure3 to flash the original 4.40 firmware and it booted up. When I plugged in the usb cord, it immediately went to the PC mode. I copied all the missing folders back onto the Nuvi. However in the Garmin directory, I only copied fs_image.ver, gmapbmap.img, and gmapbmap.sum, nothing else. Then I tried to run webupdater but Webupdater couldn't find it. I redownloaded the USB files from Garmin and reinstalled them. Now Webupdater saw the 765T and installed 4.50 firmware. I restarted the Nuvi and again ran webupdater. This time it found about 85 things that needed to be updated. Again I restarted it and this time ran the mapupdater program from mygarmin.com and installed the recent updated maps. After that finished installing, I restarted it once again. This time when I selected "view maps" on the home page it was initially blank. I waited for a bit and the streets and features slowly started to load. WOOHOOO!!!! Success!!! I now have my 765T back working again. I almost broke down and called Garmin because I was really getting frustrated but mine is now over 2 years old so would have been out of warranty and would have cost me some money. Thank you to everyone that contributed on this page especially kunix and popej.
    Go to Top of Page

NanaimoRick

Canada
    7762 Posts

Posted - 27 janv. 2013 :  15:21:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    The warning you were originally getting when plugging the unit into the PC would probably be the usual warning issued by Windows when it finds some sort of file corruption on the USB device that was just plugged in, in your case the Nuvi. In my experience it has been safe to request that Windows fix the error as it seems to always be some small 64bit piece of data that doesn't cause any problem with the Nuvi when removed. The contents of what was removed can be found in the root of the Nuvi drive with a file name of Found.001, Found.002, or something like that. This file corruption is often caused by unplugging the Nuvi from the PC by simply disconnecting the USB cable instead of using the "Safely Remove Hardware" function.

Obviously, in your case the file corruption was a lot more serious than what I have experienced but it's great news that you were able to fix the issue by using programs that have been created, and shared, by our members. Thanks for posting your success story.

Rick James - Nuvi Forum Moderator
    Nuvi 350 - Nuvi 760 - Nuvi 1695LM - Nuvi 3790LMT (with ecoRoutes HD) - Nuvi 2460LMT - Nuvi 3597LMTHD (with ecoRoutes HD) also TomTom 540S for side by side comparison >> Here <<
    2014 Chevrolet Equinox 2LT AWD

Edited by - NanaimoRick on 27 janv. 2013 15:29:40
    Go to Top of Page

niros.tamos

Brazil
    1 Posts

Posted - 27 janv. 2013 :  21:35:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    Hi!I'm experiencing my nüvi 1450T to get stuck on that "Garmin" initial screen.
    I've tried everything, from pressing corners of the GPS unit for up to 1 minute with no result.
    Do you know any method I could use in order to make this device bootable again?
    Thanks,

-------
    Niros
    Go to Top of Page

dmnamibia

Namibia
    64 Posts

Posted - 01 févr. 2013 :  15:16:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    I used GIR (Turbocc) to put a name and Cell phone number on the Initial Garmin screen of a ZUMO 660 using a logo file and GCD (With RGN_Tool). For some reason this made the ZUMO re install continuously. With the new Cure i fixed it. To get he ZUMO in pre-boot mode press right hand top corner hold switch-on in and then after say 20 seconds attach USB cable. After CURE I could get the faulty GCD file removed and re-install the correct GCD. The logo details was kept.
    KUNIX I am impressed.

Nuvi 200w, 260w, 750, 780, 1410, 200wTW, 760TW - Data logger's
    Go to Top of Page

XisiX

Bosnia and Herzegovina
    8 Posts

Posted - 23 févr. 2013 :  09:24:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    Great tool, cured Nuvi 40 stuck on GARMIN logo at start. To get it in pre-boot mode press screen slightly above letter "A" in GARMIN logo shown at startup and plug USB cable (device must be off, so few trial-and-error may be needed).
    Go to Top of Page

svetiduje

Croatia
    2 Posts

Posted - 12 avr. 2013 :  22:09:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    Hi Kunix,
    I formatted nuvi660 (bad move) with FAT32 and I did not do a backup of data. How can I revive my nuvi660 this way with GarminCure3 when Garmin has just nuvi660.exe version 4.90 and there is no version of .RGN or .GCD files. I tried to mount files from webupdater but without success. Please help.
    Go to Top of Page

dmnamibia

Namibia
    64 Posts

Posted - 13 avr. 2013 :  08:57:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    svetiduje - If you open the nuvi660.exe file with winzip or 7-zip on your PC you should find the .GCD file. This GCD file can then be extracted for further processing by Kunix program's.
    Go to Top of Page

svetiduje

Croatia
    2 Posts

Posted - 14 avr. 2013 :  17:14:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    hi dmnamibia, I'm glad you answered
    I did what you said and pulled out .Gcd file, launched garmincure3, generated cure firmware file successfully installed. Then formatted with FAT32 RMPrepUSB, installed and launched the original firmeware nuvi, all right so far, then installed maps with mapsource and tried unsuccessfully to navigate. There is no voice guidance, although it has when doing simulation route. Voices are properly installed and selected. please help

Edited by - svetiduje on 14 avr. 2013 17:26:08
    Go to Top of Page

Markbot

USA
    1 Posts

Posted - 15 avr. 2013 :  21:04:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    How I repaired a Nuvi 1450 stuck on the GARMIN splash screen. Your milage may vary.

I believe as others have stated that this error condition is due to the internal flash drive being corrupted.

1. Downloaded nuvi13xxand14xxseries_GCDFile__620.gcd
    2. Ran GarminCure3 and made the Cure Firmware.
    3. Flashed with Cure FW by booting Nuvi holding down on screen upper left with USB cable connected. Must continue to hold down until flash is complete.
    4. This put the Nuvi in USB mode and allowed Windows access.
    5. Copied all non-corrupt files from flash drive to local hard drive.
    6. Formated flash drive using RMPrepUSB_Full_v2.1.654 (settings on first page)
    7. Copied all non-corrupted files back to flash drive.
    8. Ran GarminCure3 and made the Original Firmware.
    9. Flashed with Original FW by booting Nuvi holding down on screen upper left with USB cable connected. Must continue to hold down until flash is complete.
    10.Updated Nuvi using Garmin Express. Traffic receiver FW, Jill voice, keyboard and maps installed.

Many of the files on the flash drive were corrupt including the 1.4 GB gmapprom.img
    I used a tool called Beyond Compare to copy the non-corrupt files from the flash drive. It skips over the files which could not be read due to curruption.

Thanks to this forum I salvaged a non-working Nuvi.

Markbot
    Go to Top of Page

ELEGEND_YVR

Canada
    510 Posts

Posted - 27 avr. 2013 :  08:33:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    Beyond compare sounds like an interest app to have in one's arsenal. Thanks for sharing. But at $30, I think that's quite pricey.

Edited by - ELEGEND_YVR on 27 avr. 2013 08:34:39
    Go to Top of Page

kunix

Belarus
    194 Posts

Posted - 27 avr. 2013 :  08:51:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    The GarminCure3 app is free, though, it's not open source.
    Go to Top of Page

ELEGEND_YVR

Canada
    510 Posts

Posted - 27 avr. 2013 :  09:00:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    Yes, but many may need an app like Beyond Compare that checks to see if which files are corrupt. That's $30.
    Go to Top of Page

kunix

Belarus
    194 Posts

Posted - 27 avr. 2013 :  09:07:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    I think Beyond Compare is not so useful here, as it can only detect filesystem corruptions, which could be also detected by standard windows utility chkdsk.exe. Beyond Compare can't detect file content corruption which is caused by downloading errors or disconnecting device to soon. In this case you would have to either format the entire partition or try deleting files one by one until it works.
    Go to Top of Page

panoshm

Greece
    17 Posts

Posted - 12 mai 2013 :  10:00:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    Hi kunix!

I tried Cure3 at my crashed Nuvi760 (If you remember my case http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=142946&whichpage=1 ) but nothing happened.... Same problem as you know

Garmin Nuvi 1490T
    & try to fix my older Garmin Nuvi 760
    Go to Top of Page

kunix

Belarus
    194 Posts

Posted - 12 mai 2013 :  14:25:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    As far as I remember we've discovered that your nuvi760 has problems with flash chip (region 14 containing the main firmware couldn't be erased). GarminCure3 won't help much in this case.
    Go to Top of Page

Fuse

12 Posts

Posted - 26 mai 2013 :  18:41:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    Off: kunix, send me, please, your email to my email (from my profile). I have a question to you about firmware 5.10 for Nuvi 2xx

Nuvi 260 (hwid=0660)
    andron.android at gmail.com
    Go to Top of Page

FourPlay26

Australia
    11 Posts

Posted - 25 nov. 2013 :  15:35:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    Hi,

I have a Nuvi 3560LM and it is also contisiously re booting due to a laptop failure during a update.

Due to this I am really stuck and any help would be gratefully appreciated as I need the unit ASAP

I have looked everywhere and cannot locate a fix & Garmin Thailand say it will take a month which is not acceptable

Thanks in advance David

Not one to say the right words most of the time, two words however do come to mind.
    Garmin Nuvi 760
    Go to Top of Page

lolypop000

Slovenia
    185 Posts

Posted - 27 nov. 2013 :  19:41:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    @FourPlay26

On first page you have tool to repair your nuvi.

Do you have US/EU device or you buy in Thailand?

You must know your hwid to download correct .gcd to use it with cure tool, if you have backup of your nuvi you can look in garmindevice.xml what hwid do you have.
    Go to Top of Page

FourPlay26

Australia
    11 Posts

Posted - 28 nov. 2013 :  02:18:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    thanks yes i have the repair tool

the unit was purchased in thailand unsure which gcd to use

Not one to say the right words most of the time, two words however do come to mind.
    Garmin Nuvi 760
    Go to Top of Page

lolypop000

Slovenia
    185 Posts

Posted - 01 déc. 2013 :  17:38:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    Run g7towin and you will see what hwid have your device.
    Go to Top of Page

FourPlay26

Australia
    11 Posts

Posted - 04 déc. 2013 :  06:24:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    Thanks I will try in a few days on an Island trying to enjoy my honeymoon, Internet not real good either.

Garmin Nuvi 760
    Go to Top of Page

davidosus

Canada
    68 Posts

Posted - 04 déc. 2013 :  21:08:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    My nüvi 755T won't mount.

Can GarminCure help bring it back to life?

nüvi 755T: Software Version 4.50 - GPS SW Version 2.90 - City Navigator North America 2014.30

Edited by - davidosus on 05 déc. 2013 01:47:19
    Go to Top of Page

alandb

483 Posts

Posted - 06 déc. 2013 :  22:35:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    @davidosus...Since no one has responded to your question, I will take a stab at it even though I have no direct experience with the Cure software.

You say your 755T won't mount? Does that imply that it will start up and operate normally for navigation but just isn't recognized as a drive when plugged into the computer? If that is the case, I don't think Cure will help. I would try a different USB cable and/or different USB port on your computer. If possible, try a different computer. If you still can't get it to mount, try a hard reset. If none of that works, you may have a bad mini USB port on the nuvi, and that would require a hardware repair which may not be worthwhile for a unit as old as the 755.

If on the other hand, the nuvi will not start up and operate at all, it is possible the preboot/Cure3 will help. For example, if it hangs at "Loading" or at the Garmin Logo, it would be worth a try.

If you get nothing when you turn it on or plug it into the computer you may have a completely dead battery that won't accept enough of a charge to allow it to power on. In this case you could try to leave it plugged in/charging for several hours, or take it apart and replace the battery. You can pick up a new battery on eBay for just a few dollars.

Alan - nuvi's - 3597LMTHD 855 755T, Oregon 550, Lowrance Endura Sierra

Edited by - alandb on 06 déc. 2013 22:41:17
    Go to Top of Page

davidosus

Canada
    68 Posts

Posted - 07 déc. 2013 :  00:16:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    Thanks, Alan, for your reply!

Yes... it hangs at the map loading screen and will not operate at all. Nor, as I stated, will it mount. Curiously, When I disconnect the battery it turns off and on in an endless loop.

I have a Mac... now all I need is a PC to give this a try.

Oh...

It took a bit of searching but I did find the link to download software version 4.50 for the 755T...

http://www.garmin.com/software/nuvi7x5_GCDFile__450.gcd

nüvi 755T: Software Version 4.50 - GPS SW Version 2.90 - City Navigator North America 2014.30

Edited by - davidosus on 07 déc. 2013 00:29:35
    Go to Top of Page

alandb

483 Posts

Posted - 07 déc. 2013 :  01:16:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    It sounds like the preboot/cure may be your solution then. Good luck, and I hope you get your 755T going again. Let us know the outcome.

Go to Top of Page

davidosus

Canada
    68 Posts

Posted - 07 déc. 2013 :  02:39:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    Question:

How does one make a nüvi (such as a 755T) enter pre-boot mode?

I hold the upper-left corner of my nüvi, turn it on, connect a usb cable, and hope for it to enter pre-boot mode.

It doesn't.

Should it not show up in my Mac's Finder?

Edited by - davidosus on 07 déc. 2013 02:50:45
    Go to Top of Page

alandb

483 Posts

Posted - 07 déc. 2013 :  05:49:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    I have never had to do this with my 755T (thankfully), but from what I have read, the procedure is this: Start with the nuvi power off and the USB cable connected to the PC but not the nuvi. Press and hold the upper right corner of the screen. Turn the power on, slide the power button to lock, and quickly insert the USB cable continuing to press the upper right corner of the screen. I think the timing has to be just right so it may take some trial and error. Good luck!

Go to Top of Page

lolypop000

Slovenia
    185 Posts

Posted - 08 déc. 2013 :  16:33:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    @davidosus

First you must install Garmin usb drivers from garmin site and then folow this:

1.) Run cure tool and add dot beside Cure and click on make firmware and then on updater button

2.) add dot beside Usb in updater window

3.) Make shure that your nuvi is turned OFF

4.) Connect nuvi to Pc and hold uper left corner of screen

5.) When you see Garmin Logo lock screen but still hold uper left corner of screen

6.) In updater window you will se writen nuvi model when updater detect your device click OK button
    ( nuvi is in pre boot only 10 second so you must click OK button in this time )

When you finish with repair don't forget to run again cure tool but this time you must set dot beside Original and folow this:

1.) Run cure tool and add dot beside Original and click on make firmware and then on updater button

2.) add dot beside Usb in updater window

3.) Make shure that your nuvi is turned OFF

4.) Connect nuvi to Pc and hold uper left corner of screen

5.) When you see Garmin Logo lock screen but still hold uper left corner of screen

6.) In updater window you will se writen nuvi model when updater detect your device click OK button

p.s.
    If uper left corner of screen don't work, try with uper right corner of screen.
    Go to Top of Page

davidosus

Canada
    68 Posts

Posted - 09 déc. 2013 :  16:48:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    Thanks, lolypop000! I'll give it a try today!

Question...

By Garmin USB drivers, you mean Garmin Communicator?

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3608

Edited by - davidosus on 09 déc. 2013 18:58:41
    Go to Top of Page

sussamb

United Kingdom
    959 Posts

Posted - 09 déc. 2013 :  19:14:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    I think he means this

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=591

Edited by - sussamb on 09 déc. 2013 19:15:02
    Go to Top of Page

davidosus

Canada
    68 Posts

Posted - 09 déc. 2013 :  21:02:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    Thanks! I'm a Mac user and am generally at a loss when it comes to Windows.

Go to Top of Page

lolypop000

Slovenia
    185 Posts

Posted - 09 déc. 2013 :  22:55:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    Only with this usb drivers you can enter pre boot.
    If you Mac user, try to find Pc with windows and on this Pc repair your nuvi.
    Go to Top of Page

XxhaimBondxX

USA
    308 Posts

Posted - 10 déc. 2013 :  01:59:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    I have a Nuvi 780 and followed the Cure steps, flashing it with the latest 760 in Cure mode. However, now the screen just hangs in the GARMIN logo, although, the computer recognizes Garmin's internal storage, the WebUpdater does not. I have the USB drivers installed. Also, when creating a map, the BaseCamp sees the device just fine. What am I missing here?
    Go to Top of Page

XxhaimBondxX

USA
    308 Posts

Posted - 10 déc. 2013 :  03:24:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    I zeroed it down to needing a correct garmindevice.xml. I copied one from Garmin XT and voila! WebUpdater found the GPS, however, was showing a wrong device. So I need one for Nuvi 780, or at least for 760. Any idea where I could find one? Perhaps it's possible for someone to upload it? Thanks.
    Go to Top of Page

NanaimoRick

Canada
    7762 Posts

Posted - 10 déc. 2013 :  03:31:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    Try http://gawisp.com/perry/nuvi/ as they have old firmware files for many Nuvi models.

Nuvi 350 - Nuvi 760 - Nuvi 1695LM - Nuvi 3790LMT (with ecoRoutes HD) - Nuvi 2460LMT - Nuvi 3597LMTHD (with ecoRoutes HD) also TomTom 540S for side by side comparison >> Here <<

Go to Top of Page

XxhaimBondxX

USA
    308 Posts

Posted - 10 déc. 2013 :  03:48:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    I'm browsing that page as I type, however, it doesn't have the garmindevice.xml.
    Go to Top of Page

davidosus

Canada
    68 Posts

Posted - 10 déc. 2013 :  07:47:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    After a good night's sleep I've been successful in getting my nüvi into pre-boot mode. I've got to be very, very quick... or it'll disconnect. In fact, Updater gets to 100% and, though the progress bar reaches 100%, it doesn't clear.

I wonder... have I downloaded the correct software for the nüvi 755T? Most files end in exe...

http://www.garmin.com/software/nuvi7x5_GCDFile__450.gcd

Edited by - davidosus on 10 déc. 2013 17:05:02
    Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
    7448 Posts

Posted - 10 déc. 2013 :  17:14:33  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
    @davidosus:

I haven't checked this particular GCD file, but be aware that your Mac can open zipped archives that end in exe. Just double click it and it should expand. You are correct that exe program files -- apps -- will not run on your Mac, but this exception is pretty handy.

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -
    Nüvi 760 in a '14 VW GTI & zumo 660 on a BMW F800 ST
    Guide to working with pre-programmed routes: >> details <<
    Language Guide / US Topo / 350 & 680 / MacBook & Intel iMac with OS X & Win XP / BaseCamp / Cape Cod, MA

Edited by - danham on 10 déc. 2013 17:15:54
    Go to Top of Page

davidosus

Canada
    68 Posts

Posted - 10 déc. 2013 :  18:11:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    Thank-you for your reply, Dan!

I mean...

When I look at http://gawisp.com/perry/nuvi/ most of the software ends in exe. For the 755T the software ends in gcd. Am I using the correct software to restore my nüvi? Put another way, does Garmin Cure use exe files or gcd files? If exe files, would someone know which software to use for the 755T?

Update:

Answered my own question...

The gcd file seems to be the correct one.

My progress so far...

The nüvi displays Loader Loading..., Updater gets to 100%, the nüvi displays Loader, Updater quits because of a problem, Garmin continues to display Loader.

I understand from this post...

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=135411

...the nüvi should restart. It doesn't.

Edited by - davidosus on 10 déc. 2013 21:21:05
    Go to Top of Page

lolypop000

Slovenia
    185 Posts

Posted - 14 déc. 2013 :  11:40:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    @XxhaimBondxX

If you use cure tool and you flash in preboot with cure you must after repair also flash with cure tool and set to Original.

Cure FW is not bootable and this is reasnon why nuvi stuck in logo screen, create with cure tool original FW and flash in preboot and your nuvi will start and create garmindevice.xml

@davidosus

If you run cure tool from zip file than this is problem why you stuck in Loader loading.

You can download latest gcd from this link: http://www.garmin.com/software/nuvi7x5_GCDFile__450.gcd

Please try cure your device on Pc with windows OS.

Edited by - lolypop000 on 14 déc. 2013 11:41:26
    Go to Top of Page

XxhaimBondxX

USA
    308 Posts

Posted - 14 déc. 2013 :  13:47:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by lolypop000

@XxhaimBondxX

If you use cure tool and you flash in preboot with cure you must after repair also flash with cure tool and set to Original.

Cure FW is not bootable and this is reasnon why nuvi stuck in logo screen, create with cure tool original FW and flash in preboot and your nuvi will start and create garmindevice.xml

After I flash with the cure, I can get access to my nuvi internal drives. However, when I flash with original, the drive is no longer accessible and nuvi is being stuck in a loop. It reboots immediately after 'loading maps'. Is there a step I am missing between flashing with cure and flashing with the original FW? What's the point of flashing with the cure and then immediately flashing with original?
    Go to Top of Page

davidosus

Canada
    68 Posts

Posted - 14 déc. 2013 :  21:57:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    Everyone, thanks for your continued support!

lolypop000, indeed I have been trying with that exact file to no avail.

I'm going to try something else...

To date I've been running Windows on my Mac using the app Fusion. Instead I'll install Windows using Boot Camp (making my Mac a full-fledged Windows box for all intents and purposes) and see if that makes a difference.

Go to Top of Page

lolypop000

Slovenia
    185 Posts

Posted - 16 déc. 2013 :  18:21:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    @XxhaimBondxX

When you flash with cure FW then yu have access to your device and now you must repair your nuvi.

1.) Create backup of your nuvi if you don't have it.
    2.) Format your nuvi
    3.) On empty nuvi create new folder and add name Garmin
    4.) Open your backup and copy/paste from folder Garmin your garmindevice.xml and add it in folder Garmin on your device
    5.) flash in pre boot with Original FW
    6.) Run webupdater and update all
    7.) After update remove nuvi from Pc and turn it On and all will work
    8.) Now add map's on your nuvi and don't forget to add gmapbmap.img ( basemap ) in folder Garmin.
    Go to Top of Page

XxhaimBondxX

USA
    308 Posts

Posted - 16 déc. 2013 :  18:59:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    I guess this is where I hit a brick wall. I accidentally formatted my nuvi and do not have any backup. Is garmindevice.xml is the key to it all?
    Go to Top of Page

lolypop000

Slovenia
    185 Posts

Posted - 16 déc. 2013 :  19:40:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    @XxhaimBondxX

If you don't have backup then after format create empty folder Garmin on your device and flash with Original FW.
    Nuvi will create garmindevice.xml after you flash with original FW.
    After flash with original FW, look in folder Garmin if you have garmindevice.xml inside, if you have just run webupdater and update all, if you don't have xml inside, let me know where i can send you my backup ;)
    Go to Top of Page

XxhaimBondxX

USA
    308 Posts

Posted - 16 déc. 2013 :  19:58:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    After I flash with original, my nuvi just reboots in a loop, and it doesn't create any files. If you could email me whatever files I need to ************. I only been using software files from 7xx and 760, perhaps you could send me the actual software file for 780. Thanks.

Edited by - XxhaimBondxX on 16 déc. 2013 20:57:53
    Go to Top of Page

NanaimoRick

Canada
    7762 Posts

Posted - 16 déc. 2013 :  22:43:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    AFAIK the only difference between the 760 and the 780 was the traffic receiver. In the case of the 780 the receiver was for MSN Traffic which has long since gone away.

Go to Top of Page

XxhaimBondxX

USA
    308 Posts

Posted - 16 déc. 2013 :  22:55:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    that's what I found out as well, however, the 760 flash didn't work on mine. Perhaps it's beyond any recovery.
    Go to Top of Page

davidosus

Canada
    68 Posts

Posted - 16 déc. 2013 :  23:35:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    Wow! The drama!

My nüvi is working again!

I say I'm tenacious, my wife says I'm stubborn... certainly, for what my time is worth, I could have bought the latest and greatest nüvi and replaced my aging 755T.

But I digress...

First, what I think I did wrong. When I updated the 755T with the most recent 2014.30 map update I didn't eject it properly. Files were corrupted, the new map file wasn't written properly, and as a consequence the nüvi got hung up, giving the message "Loading Maps". It would progress no further. The nüvi would not mount in either Windows (via the app Boot Camp) or on a Mac.

So, what worked? How did I get it to function again? By messing around a whole lot.

I know that sounds glib but it's true. I'm not even sure what led to it being fixed. I can roughly tell you what I did, though.

First I used GarminCure3 but my nüvi did not respond as expected. GarminCure3 always ended with a vague error. But now at least the nüvi displayed something different: "System Software Missing".

I then tried kunix's QuickCure3...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/32785663/QuickCure3-with-flasher.rar

...and once, just once, I was able to get the 755T to mount. I didn't realize at the time the importance of this and ejected it. I wasn’t able to reproduce this phenomena.

So finally this morning I contacted Garmin support. As usual, they were excellent. I was emailed a .rgn file and an updater app. This time, for the first time, updater updated successfully. But it was again stuck on "Loading Maps" and would progress no further. It still would not mount in either Windows or on a Mac.

So I ran QuickCure3 again and presto! The nüvi mounted!

I rang Garmin support back and gave them control of Windows. There was a whole lot wrong - damaged files, hidden files that should not have been hidden, and more. Garmin support ran diagnostics and repair. She deleted corrupt files. She deleted old map files. And then she and I held our breath: we disconnected the nüvi, hoping it would mount again. It did!

Back on my Mac she instructed me to use Garmin Map Update. This app updated the nüvi's software and downloaded the latest maps (I have Lifetime Maps).

I can use the nüvi 755T again! Woo-hoo!

Thank-you, alandb, lolypop000, sussamb, and danham for your help! kunix, I couldn't have fixed my nüvi without your software - thanks!

Edited by - davidosus on 17 déc. 2013 18:45:03
    Go to Top of Page

XxhaimBondxX

USA
    308 Posts

Posted - 16 déc. 2013 :  23:46:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    yea, wow exactly. How do you have Windows on a Mac? You lost me right there. You're luck Garmin still supports 755T. They told me to bite dust with my 780, but gave me a $50 credit towards buying a new Nuvi. Perhaps I'll try QuickCure too, as I was unaware there was another tool for flashing Nuvis, that is if mine ever finishes formatting.
    Go to Top of Page

davidosus

Canada
    68 Posts

Posted - 17 déc. 2013 :  00:20:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    Intel Macs have the ability to run Windows natively and through software emulation (Parallels, VMWare Fusion).

To run Windows natively an Apple app called Boot Camp will create a new hard drive partition and install Windows. Then one may start their Mac using only Windows - the Mac OS is nowhere to be seen. It's no different than having a computer built by HP, Acer, or Dell.

No, Garmin does not officially support the nüvi 755T. But if they can help they will. They certainly bent over backwards for me - I called countless times asking for advice.

Don't make the mistake I made - if QuickCure3 or another app gives access to your nüvi's file system stop and give Garmin support a call. Their recovery software only operates in Windows.

Edited by - davidosus on 17 déc. 2013 00:21:26
    Go to Top of Page

XxhaimBondxX

USA
    308 Posts

Posted - 17 déc. 2013 :  00:41:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    What did you tell them that they bothered to help. When I emailed them about formatting my Nuvi, they said there is no chance in hell it could be salvaged.

UPDATE: Thanks to lolypop000, who graciously e-mailed me the contents of his Nuvi 780 I have the following:

While flashing the Nuvi to original FW gave me the same results, being stuck on a loop, I have copied the same contents to a spare 2GB SD card and voila, the Nuvi finally booted. There are only two "tiny" issues that I've noticed so far: 1. The voice files are not found, even though they are in the Voice folder. 2. The map is not being drawn. I have both, the base map and the detailed map in my Gamin folder, yet the map screen is blank. GPS signal works fine. Also, for some reason, I am not able to hard reset the Nuvi, I have tried holding it in the lower right corner while booting and nothing, it boots straight into system. Any ideas?

Edited by - XxhaimBondxX on 17 déc. 2013 15:23:01
    Go to Top of Page

lolypop000

Slovenia
    185 Posts

Posted - 17 déc. 2013 :  16:50:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    Your nuvi turn ON if you remove SD card?
    Do you have screen locked when you try hard reset nuvi?
    If you have locked then unlock it.

Look under settings if you have enabled map.
    Go to Top of Page

XxhaimBondxX

USA
    308 Posts

Posted - 17 déc. 2013 :  16:55:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    If I remove the SD card the nuvi still works, until I shut it off, then it's back to rebooting. I have the power button unlocked when attempting to hard reset. In the 'info' of the Maps, I see the detailed map checked off, however, it doesn't show the base map. I'm thinking for some reason, the nuvi doesn't see the base map.
    Go to Top of Page

XxhaimBondxX

USA
    308 Posts

Posted - 19 déc. 2013 :  01:08:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    lolypop000 is a genius. Somehow he was able to completely restore my nuvi with a couple of files he personally made for it. It works are good as new. Thanks!
    Go to Top of Page

hulvey

USA
    2 Posts

Posted - 06 janv. 2014 :  22:16:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    I have tried for many hours to unbrick my mom's 760. I bought her the device some years ago, and then more recently bought her the Lifetime Maps option. I then tried to upgrade the maps on her device using Garmin Express on a Macbook Pro w/ OSX. It told me the North America set of maps were too large to fit, and so I had to choose a subset. It also updated some of the system software during this process. Once that was complete, I unplugged the device. Even though everything looked Ok, though, I suspect that it was at this point that I needed to manually trigger an eject of the Garmin. After this, the device would boot up to the "Loading Maps..." screen and then turn off a few seconds later (or just hang if plugged in).

I've tried many, many times to get the hard reset procedure (finger in lower right corner while powering up) to work, but no luck. The unit continues on to "Loading Maps..". I've tried this with the power button in the "unlocked" as well as "locked" positions.

After digging around the 'net and finding this thread (among others), I tried GarminCure3 (on a Windows 7 machine). I was able to get the device into pre-boot mode (holding finger in middle of screen with power switch in "lock" position and then plugging into PC; it is a bit finicky, though, and sometimes it seems I have to let it boot once or twice with no power and no finger and let it "crash" with power "unlocked" before pre-boot will work). At this point, I can flash the "CURE" (using 5.40 gcd file) and get to the "LOADER" screen. After a little while, though, updater.exe issues the following error:

App: Updater
    At: 12/31/2013 3:51:08 AM (UTC)
    OS: WIN32 Windows Platform, Major Version: 6, Minor Version: 1 Service Pack 1
    Processor: Pentium Pro or Pentium II, RAM: 2097151 KB
    IOU_UTILITIES.CPP-203-2.8

At this point, I see only a Garmin USB device in Device Manager and not a USB drive, so I can't do anything with it. If I unplug it and replug, LOADER still appears on the screen, but the PC says it's an UNKNOWN device and can't load a driver for it. To get the device out of the LOADER mode, I have to hold the power button to the left for a few seconds until it shuts off.

I also tried running Garmin Express and plugging in the device in pre-boot mode, but it tells me that this device is only supported by MapUpdater. If I run MapUpdater, though, it will crash when I plug in the device.

I also tried QuickCure3, but the device does not reboot. In fact, after running that, if I keep my finger on the center of the screen (presumably keeping the unit in pre-boot mode), I seem to still be able to run GarminCure3, so it's as if QuickCure3 didn't do anything at all. Here's what I see in the command prompt window for start.bat:

QuickCure3 v0.2 by kunix
    payload comment:
    HWID&SWVR; MOV R8,R12

Initializing USB...
    hwid = 754
    swvr = 540
    name = nnvi 7 Series Software Version 5.40

Initializing USB once again...

(The 2nd "n" in "nnvi" actually looks superscripted onscreen, so I assume that's just an artifact of the umlaut "u" character when printed in the command prompt window.)

I also noticed that if I can get into the touchscreen calibration feature, it will hang after a few seconds. So, I wonder if there is some process in the background that is hanging after a few seconds, whether it's loading maps or it's in calibration mode. This makes me wonder if one of the system software upgrades was the main failure here rather than the maps.

Encouraged by davidosus's post, I may just go ahead and contact Garmin support, but I thought I would ask first: does anyone have any other ideas I can try?

Thanks!

BigH
    Go to Top of Page

davidosus

Canada
    68 Posts

Posted - 07 janv. 2014 :  01:12:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    I wonder how close the 760 is to the 755T?

The key to fixing my nüvi was to use QuickCure3. This app forced the 755T to mount in Windows.

Getting to pre-boot mode (a QuickCure3 requirement) was actually easy in my case because the battery was low - each time I connected the nüvi it turned on. So I held on to the upper left corner, put the on button to the lock position, and plugged it in. Voila - pre-boot mode.

My suggestion is once you see your 760 mount and are able to navigate its file system don't do anything - quickly give Garmin support a call. They'll take it from there, taking control of your computer, if necessary. I hope they can fix it for you.

Go to Top of Page

kunix

Belarus
    194 Posts

Posted - 07 janv. 2014 :  10:15:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by hulvey
    it is a bit finicky, though, and sometimes it seems I have to let it boot once or twice with no power and no finger and let it "crash" with power "unlocked" before pre-boot will work).

Before entering pre-boot mode try turning off the device completely by holding the power button for a few seconds.

quote:
    At this point, I can flash the "CURE" (using 5.40 gcd file) and get to the "LOADER" screen. After a little while, though, updater.exe issues the following error:

App: Updater
    At: 12/31/2013 3:51:08 AM (UTC)
    OS: WIN32 Windows Platform, Major Version: 6, Minor Version: 1 Service Pack 1
    Processor: Pentium Pro or Pentium II, RAM: 2097151 KB
    IOU_UTILITIES.CPP-203-2.8

This means that the firmware update process was aborted before CURE firmware was flashed. So there was no effect, no surprise.
    Such firmware flashing problems may indicate some hardware failure inside your nuvi. But also this happens on my laptop running Windows 7 when connecting my nuvi 670 to USB 3.0 port.

quote:
    QuickCure3 v0.2 by kunix
    payload comment:
    HWID&SWVR; MOV R8,R12

Initializing USB...
    hwid = 754
    swvr = 540
    name = nnvi 7 Series Software Version 5.40

Initializing USB once again...

QuickCure3 hanged before sending the payload. So, again, no effect. I've already seen this on my laptop when working with QuickCure3 and nuvi 670.
    It's due to some Garmin USB driver intricacies.
    I've just updated QuickCure3.exe. Now it doesn't request HWID and other stuff in case they are supplied via command line. Re-download QuickCure3.exe:https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32785663/QuickCure3-with-flasher.rar

Try running from the command line: QuickCure3.exe 754 540
    In case of success you can proceed with deleting some files or formatting with RMPREPUSB according to the the GarminCure3 tutorial... Or call the Garnim support.

Edited by - kunix on 07 janv. 2014 10:24:51
    Go to Top of Page

hulvey

USA
    2 Posts

Posted - 21 janv. 2014 :  22:43:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    Thanks kunix. I finally got around to trying this. No luck, though. I see this in the command window:
    ==========================================
    C:\Users\Admin\Desktop>quickcure3 754 540
    QuickCure3 v0.2 by kunix
    payload comment:
    HWID&SWVR; MOV R8,R12

Initializing USB...
    sending the payload...
    all done
    now the device should enter the mass storage mode
    ==========================================
    The device then appears to reboot, but goes to Loading Maps and hangs just as before. If I continue to hold my figer in the upper left corner, it seems to just go back to pre-boot mode, which I guess is expected. I tried moving to a different Windows 7 machine, but it does the same thing. I'll see if I can find an XP machine to try.

As for holding the power button down, this unit has the slide switch,a and holding it to the far left seems to just cause it to reboot continuously. Garmin logo shows up for a few seconds, screen goes black for a few seconds, repeats.
    Close Window

BigH
    Go to Top of Page

rchase

3 Posts

Posted - 28 mars 2014 :  21:34:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
    kunix,

Your GarminCure3 recovery tool is terrific! It just saved my old Nüvi 200 which, although long in the tooth, still works fine & has lifetime map updates. I thought it would be useful for those of us who are nervous recovery-noobs to provide some details of my experience using the process:

Issue:
    I had just updated to the latest maps & firmware using Garmin Express from Win7, x64. The newest full map set was too large for the flash memory, so I installed the maps to an SD card. I then thought it would be a good idea to create a .gpx merge-file to help me transfer a large number of Favorite destinations from a different type of GPS device. I kept backups of the original current.gpx, so what's the worst that could go wrong? Bad move! An improperly formatted merge-file .gpx kept the Nüvi from booting past "Loading Maps...", and it never could actually mount the USB Mass Storage drives to allow removing the offending file from flash memory! Reset and Hard Reset were performed to no avail. Effectively bricked.

Research led me to posts by neadrenalin and also this thread from kunix with methods for bypassing the normal boot process, going straight to USB drive-mounting by temporarily tweaking the firmware. I also placed a service request to Garmin Support.

Resolution:
    - After an email response from Garmin suggested using Garmin WebUpdater during Pre-Boot mode (not using that term) to reinstall the firmware, I installed WebUpdater which also installed non-Mass-Storage USB Drivers required for Pre-Boot mode. (These can also be installed separately, currently from Garmin's USBDrivers_231 driver installer.)

- I then tried stepping through the WebUpdater process up to the point of actually processing (as I knew reloading the firmware wouldn't remove the problem .gpx merge-file, so it wouldn't be a solution on its own.) I launched WebUpdater prior to connecting Nüvi, then put Nüvi into "Pre-Boot Mode", invoking the special USB drivers (not yet Mass Storage Devices.)

- To invoke Pre-Boot mode, the Nüvi is initially powered Off and Disconnected from the computer. Plug the PC end of the USB cord to the PC. With one finger pressing the upper left corner of the Nüvi screen, slide & hold the Nüvi power button on & when the Nüvi logo displays plug the USB cord to the Nüvi. Windows should acknowledge with connection sounds. You have less than 30 seconds before the held power-button invokes Screen Calibration, disconnecting Pre-Boot mode. When this happens, you can repeat the process.

- WebUpdater recognized the Nüvi & offered to reinstall the firmware (no use, so I didn't try.) But WebUpdater also provided a link to the appropriate firmware web page, which I used to confirm the proper version of the .gcd firmware file to use for GarminCure3.exe. (In your web browser, you can view the linked web page "Page Source" to show a direct link web address to download the .gcd firmware file.)

Note: While in Pre-Boot mode, you can also use the G7ToWin utility to determine your Hardware ID, which can be used to ID proper firmware versions for other recovery methods. Just be sure to first update G7ToWin "configuration" to use USB rather than the default Comm Port communication to "Get GPS ID".

- I also tested Garmin Express during Pre-Boot mode, but it still didn't recognize the device at this point.

- Before proceeding with the actual recovery process, I disconnected the cord so that when I subsequently entered Pre-Boot mode there would be enough time for the short Pre-Boot window of opportunity.

- I ran kunix's GarminCure3 software, chose Cure from my v5.1 gcd firmware file, it converted the v5.1 gcd file successfully, and I launched the corresponding Updater process & chose the USB option.

Note: Windows 7, x64 Program Compatibility Assistant Diagnostic Module auto-applied a compatibilty setting for GarminCure3.exe to allow it to launch Updater.exe without GarminCure3.exe running as admin (by creating a compatibility layer: ELEVATECREATEPROCESS). Since GarminCure3.exe then did not require "run as admin" mode, drag & drop could work without issue (you can still load the .gcd file using the dialog method when run as admin.) This occurred after I initially ran GarminCure3 in normal mode & Updater wouldn't launch from GarminCure3. After I then ran it as Admin, the above compatibility setting was created & I was notified by Windows. I then could run GarminCure3 in normal mode without any issues.

- I then put Nüvi into "Pre-Boot Mode" and, once the special USB drivers were recognized (Windows sound or view in the Device Manager), the Nüvi was then recognized in Updater. I clicked OK on Updater & Yes to proceed. This started the process and a thermometer status bar quickly went to 100%. Then there was an additional loading process than ran afterward.

- Tricky part; when to let go of the Pre-Boot power button since you don't want to invoke Screen Calibration or otherwise interfere with the update connection? Once Updater starts processing, you won't run into Screen Calibration 30 second disconnect, but will still hear the Windows sounds as the drivers switch out of special mode and the Nüvi screen will show Loader Software, Loading, (or something similar); now you can let go of the power button and allow firmware loading to complete. Then you need to restart Nüvi so it can mount the USB drives. Note that at this point, "Garmin Express" was able to connect again and could have been used to "Restore" the .GPX file (although in my case that wasn't necessary or helpful; it was just necessary to remove the bad .gpx merge-file that actually was never merged to current.gpx.)

- Weird part was that although the Nüvi drives mounted & I was able to remove the offending .gpx merge-file, I couldn't then restart/power-off Nüvi!? The screen seemed frozen, despite the drive mount capability remaining. I think eventually, after safely dismounting the USB drives, I had to unplug the device & press the reset button to turn it off. (Otherwise I suppose I would have had to wait for the battery to drain!)

- Once I could finally power off and again start in the special USB driver "Pre-Boot Mode", I went back in & redid the GarminCure3 process again, this time using the "Original" selection. Success.

- I restarted the Nüvi with the now-repaired state & waited for it to boot.... Finally! After "Loading Maps..." nerve-wrackingly displayed for what seemed a bit long, it finished booting! Some settings notifications were back to original (so it prompted me with one-time "helpful" information), but for the most part everything was back to my previous settings! I updated a few that had reset.

Result: Back in business!!! Woooo Hoooo!!!! Thanks kunix!
    Go to Top of Page
      Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
     New Topic  Reply/Répondre
     Printer Friendly
    Jump To:
    GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2015_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
    This page was generated in 1,94 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05