Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2167

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Garmin nüvi forums
 newbie with Garmin Nuvi 255W
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bavareze

1 Posts

Posted - 04 nov. 2011 :  07:45:34  Show Profile  Visit bavareze's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hello. I am preparing for a bike trip to Asia.

In 2010 I went to South America. I had with me the 255W and I used some maps from a guy names smellybiker, he has some sort of subscription based maps. I don't know how I ended purchasing that but I wasn't quite happy because map was not so accurate.

This time I was looking to try something else.

I have 2 Nuvi 255w units.

one has sowftware worldwide autoroute dem basemap 5.00 with "CN Nort America NT 2011.10 [1] US & Canada" map

the other one runs worldwide autoroute dem basemap 3.00 with "CN Nort America NT 2010.10 [1] All" map

on both I browsed some asian countries and I saw only motorways displayed. No streets, local roads etc.

My experience with GPS systems and Garmin in particular is VERY limited so I was trying to find out which is the most effective (yet not too expensive) way to have decent road and geographical info for Asia.

Currently I only have the GPS receiver and cable, nothing else.

Thanks!

Ads

sussamb

United Kingdom
851 Posts

Posted - 04 nov. 2011 :  08:41:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your nuvis only have Garmins basemap, which is why you only see the barest details. I have no idea I'm afraid about maps for Asia, never having been there, but have a look at sites like OpenStreetMap for free maps. The alternative is maps like this from Garmin:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=89538
Go to Top of Page

ST-Bob

USA
3684 Posts

Posted - 04 nov. 2011 :  12:27:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The solution is to either buy the appropriate map on SD card from Garmin or buy a new GPS in the area of the world you're going to when you get off the plane.

Garmin markets different versions of the GPS in different parts of the world for a good reason - to reduce costs. Maps cost money and including detailed maps for the entire world would raise the price to several times what it is now as well as making it necessary to have much more map storage memory on the unit.

The best source of compatible maps will always be the original GPS manufacturer. You pay for quality but it's well worth it in my opinion.

Bob Peloquin - Moderator-Lowrance iWay forum
Massachusetts, USA
Various Iways, nüvi 750
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05