Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 1959

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Garmin nüvi forums
 Going from nuvi 350 to 770? Advice needed
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

eddieras

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 28 oct. 2011 :  17:17:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey guys- i've had a Nuvi 350 for a number of years-served me quite well. Battery is shot, must be plugged in to work. Have a lot of of custom POI's - thanks to sites like this one. also have traffic antenna.

I see the 770 for about $85 online- has NA and European maps and we'll be traveling in Europe next summer.

would love some advice/ input-
would this be a good upgrade?
would i be able to upload my current POI's?
any negatives regarding the 770 most reviews i found (from '08, of course) were pretty positive.

i know a new line is coming out but funds are also a bit tight at the moment.
i've searched for some info but because this is an older model i'm not finding what i'm looking for.
thanks - appreciate any insight as to the above!

Ads

danham

USA
7425 Posts

Posted - 28 oct. 2011 :  17:29:00  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The 760 I still own is in my opinion one of the best GPSes Garmin has ever made. You will love the 770's screen size and brightness compared to the 350.

Your Custom POIs should load no problem. Favorites may lose some "comment" information such as phone numbers, if I recall correctly. You may want to try transferring these using MapSource or BaseCamp instead of copying the gpx file.

Check on Garmin's web site to see if the one you buy is eligible for a new battery under a recall program. Be sure to obtain the latest firmware -- some of the early versions had some major bugs.

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Nüvi 760 in a '10 Jetta TDI Diesel SportWagen & zumo 660 on a BMW F800 ST
Guide to working with pre-programmed routes: >> details <<
Language Guide / US Topo / 350 & 680 / MacBook & Intel iMac with OS X & Win XP / BaseCamp / Cape Cod, MA

Edited by - danham on 28 oct. 2011 17:32:54
Go to Top of Page

eddieras

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 28 oct. 2011 :  17:40:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for the very quick reply! i just went to pull the trigger and it's sold out already! darn! i do appreciate your help and will keep my eye open- this model seemed to have what i would want with bluetooth and europe maps too --
Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7425 Posts

Posted - 28 oct. 2011 :  17:49:07  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Was it a used one? If so be aware that Bluetooth could be permanently disabled by users who downgraded firmware. Also, make sure BT does what you expect it to -- it pairs with most but not all phones to allow hands-free talking and some dialing features, but does not send navigation directions out via BT, for example.

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Language Guide / US Topo / 350 & 680 / MacBook & Intel iMac with OS X & Win XP / BaseCamp / Cape Cod, MA
Go to Top of Page

eddieras

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 28 oct. 2011 :  18:08:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it was a recertified one -came with 30 day warranty at midnight box-- thanks for the info on BT too-- i'll keep that in mind going forward.
btw- what would you recommend for a replacement - with europe map? i see the 760 does not include europe
Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7425 Posts

Posted - 28 oct. 2011 :  18:29:06  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I haven't looked at prices, but it might make sense to buy a 760 and then Euro maps on an SD card. That way you could sell the Euro maps after your trip -- maps on a card are not locked to one GPS (but cannot be copied).

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Go to Top of Page

JimD

USA
131 Posts

Posted - 30 oct. 2011 :  01:14:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Two inexpensive but near top of the line for their time nuvis are the 765t and the 855t. The 765t is the newer version of the 760 which is the same as the 770 you were looking at expect it only has maps of north america. That is true of the 765t and the 855t too. The 760/770 shows what road you are coming up to instead of what street you are on. Some people really like that. The 765t and 855t have the next turn indicator in the upper left corner of the screen. Both also show junction views - picture like views of major intersections to show which way you want to go. I have a 760 but I like my 765t and 885t better (the 885 is the 855 + bluetooth both are voice controlled. The 765t has bluetooth (as does the 760/770) but not voice control.

If you do not regularly drive in Europe, you might think about renting maps. There is a guy who posts on the bimmerfest BMW forum for European Delivery that will rent you a SD card with maps of Europe for $35 which includes postage. Not a great option if you drive in Europe a lot but a pretty good option if your driving there is infrequent. Here is a link:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=461091

Jim
Go to Top of Page

eddieras

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 30 oct. 2011 :  18:22:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
JimD - thanks for the great info -- and the link. I'll check them out! i guess i'd lean to the 885t. how's that voice control work? is it accurate? i'll be able to add my current poi's as well?
Go to Top of Page

alandb

420 Posts

Posted - 30 oct. 2011 :  19:25:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My experience with voice control (on 855) is that it works very well for menu navigation as long as there is no background noise (radio, passengers talking, etc.). It is less reliable on more ambiguous commands, such as searching for a specific place like IHOP or Target. In those cases, its vocabulary and recognition is somewhat limited.

There is one nasty VR problem that has caught me several times. When I am trying to search with an active route in place (for example to stop for gas or food), I get several steps into the dialog to the point where it is showing the list of POI's near my present location. If I forget to say "Page Down" and just say "Down", it interprets it as "Home". It immediately cancels my current route destination and says "Navigating home". There is no "are you sure" or any other second chances. It just cancels my current route, calculates a new route to my Home location and starts giving navigation prompts. I then usually swear at it a few times and start over at re-establishing my desired route.

Alan - nuvi's - 3597LMTHD 855 755T, Oregon 550, Lowrance Endura Sierra

Edited by - alandb on 30 oct. 2011 19:36:19
Go to Top of Page

eddieras

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 01 nov. 2011 :  12:22:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks Alandb - good to know. just curious- what's the unit do after you swear at it! :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05