Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2264

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 GPS on Google Android - gps4android.com
 GPS App for Android with import of gpx file ?
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gpsseeker

1 Posts

Posted - 07 oct. 2011 :  06:52:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Everyone

My name is jay and I am preparing to take a trip from Portland, Maine, to Key West Florida. because I am doing so on a motorcycle I had to have someone help me layout a custom map including over 180 different "deviations" from the map suggested in Microsoft Streets and trips 2011, this trip is over 8 days and includes 8 days of driving and seven nights in hotels over the 2100+ mile trip. Because of my limited function avoiding highways and whatnot while maintaining a smooth flowing route was priority.

Once this file was complete and everything looked good we decided that all I had to do was export the .gpx file and import it on whatever mobile navigation app I used (my android phone will double as the gps on the trip)

What we tried and what we tried it with

Copilot Live

Initially we had issues from the start but after contacting copilot live support and they helped us finally convert the large gpx file to a .trp file, we were able to successfully import the entire route, however when we clicked "view route" it asked us how we wanted the route to be configured (IE: no highways, tolls, local roads) the issue here is the fact the route has already been created in detail, and no matter what option we pick here copilot makes up its own mind which way to go, so that was a dead end, however the most success was found with that so far

Navigon

Initially we thought being a Garmin product this would be a snap but after exhaustive searching we were unable to find any way to IMPORT anything to this app, it looked like the hardware gps made by them was a possibility but not the app,

Sygic

Very limited capability and didn’t seem to be very friendly, plus the graphics UI is all cluttered with things overlapping each other

Locus Pro

Looked like it would work but after some poking around locus didn’t seem to be a fit

As you can see we are exploring all options, what I’m essentially looking for is a way to get a gps software to allow me to view and follow my route, maybe like an overlay?? and not push me all around to new routes, this is very important because in some spots its 40 miles around interstates, when I could hop on for two miles and hop off again, on the route I won’t know it’s the wrong way until I’m way out of range

The website that all my route info can be found at is msj.4321fun.com
[ed]

Thanks again

PS - Original title "Need Help Choosing Appropriate Software ASAP."

Ads

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 07 oct. 2011 :  09:13:03  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is a forum, not a hotline, so use a title that makes sense and describes properly what you need and no "ASAP", now fixed.

Having said that, GPS software in general is not designed to be used like that, the whole point is to get people from where they are to their destination and adjust the route and ETA as they go along. Mostly because you can't program routes with dozens of waypoints on a small screen and most people wouldn't bother doing that on a computer either.

You also need to understand that even though you have 180 waypoints that's not enough to describe every bend in the road so the GPS software will have to calculate routes in between these points, what CoPilot was trying to do apparently.

If that doesn't work for you, the only other option is Google MyMaps. Speaking from experience as I drove 7000 miles over 34 stops this summer having first planned the trip on MS S&T, I would switch to Google Maps, customize routes to the T and then save them to Google MyMaps. Then on your Android phone you can view the MyMaps layer in the Map app and follow it. Now it won't be live guidance with visual and audio directions but you'll be able to follow the exact route that was programmed. Locus can also display the MyMaps layer so you could see if their interface works better.

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

jeffcarp94

USA
119 Posts

Posted - 07 oct. 2011 :  22:02:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You will not find one solution that combines following a predefined route with turn by turn instructions. I'd suggest one of two things. You can get a good idea of the route that Google Navigation will take you by using Google Maps on the web. I would build custom routes in Google Maps so that it forces Google Maps to take me the way I want to go. Don't do this by dragging the route around the screen. Do it by inserting stops in Google Maps. Stops can be POI's from within Google Maps, but they can also be locations you define by latitude and longitude. Google Maps accepts the format "NameOfStop@latitude,-longitude" for a stop. You can build as many stops as you need to define the exact route you want. Once it is defined, save it as a Google MyMap and you will have access to it from within Google Maps on your phone. All of your stops will show up as points and you can sequentially select them as navigation destinations. The downside to this method is that you will not have any ETA information for your final destination. If you have enough points defined, you will travel along the route you want. With enough points, Google Maps won't really have much of a choice. I do this all the time because I travel in an RV. There are certains ways that I absolutely do not want to go despite the mapping algorithm thinking it is best.

I would suggest trying My Tracks app, also by Google. My Tracks is made to record tracks to GPX files, but it will also import tracks. You could import your GPX file, and simply follow it on the screen. At the same time, you can have Google Navigation running to your final destination. This gives you a route to follow manually plus the luxury of knowing your final ETA in Google Navigation. Now, you have to be disciplined because you have to know when to ignore Google Navigation's turn instructions. Some will be valid, some will not if you have a goofy route defined. But that is about the best you will be able to do.

If you have a decent enough phone you should be able to run those two apps and switch back and forth without issue.

Nav experience: Garmin SP III, SP 2710, SP 2730, Garmin i5, Garmin c330, Garmin 760, Garmin 885T, Dash Navigation, TeleNav for Sprint, TomTom 740 Live, CoPilot Live v8, Navigon for Android, Navigon for iPad, Google Navigation, Waze, Garmin Nuvi 3490LMT, Garmin 3590LMT, TomTom for Android, Rand McNally 7725LM
Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7442 Posts

Posted - 07 oct. 2011 :  23:01:34  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My (Honda VTX1300) friend and I (BMW F800ST) wrestled with Copilot for a while on his Android phone and finally gave up and he got a nuvi 750. Copilot just isn't up to the task, especially on long routes.

But in a pinch it might work for you if you break your ride up into much smaller pieces. Even using a dedicated GPS I would not want it to be working with more than one day's worth at a time, maximum.

I like jeffcarp94's advice, but would say that overall a phone just isn't the best tool for this job. You can get a decent GPS for a reasonable price if you look around and avoid wasting time and suffering frustration on what should be a fun trip, not a chore.

Follow the link in my sig for tips on creating long routes for two-wheeled use.

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Nüvi 760 in a '14 VW GTI & zumo 660 on a BMW F800 ST
Guide to working with pre-programmed routes: >> details <<
Language Guide / US Topo / 350 & 680 / MacBook & Intel iMac with OS X & Win XP / BaseCamp / Cape Cod, MA

Edited by - danham on 07 oct. 2011 23:04:06
Go to Top of Page

HankB

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 05 juin 2012 :  15:03:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gpsseeker

Copilot Live

Initially we had issues from the start but after contacting copilot live support and they helped us finally convert the large gpx file to a .trp file, we were able to successfully import the entire route, however when we clicked "view route" it asked us how we wanted the route to be configured (IE: no highways, tolls, local roads) the issue here is the fact the route has already been created in detail, and no matter what option we pick here copilot makes up its own mind which way to go, so that was a dead end, however the most success was found with that so far

I'd like more detail on this. I'm presently evaluating Copilot Live (v9, free version) and see no way to import routes. Nor could I find a way to convert GPX to TRP formats. (TRP is not listed as a supported format for gpsbabel and the only information I could find on conversion was a $40 Windows program.)

thanks,
hank
Go to Top of Page

roverguy

81 Posts

Posted - 05 juin 2012 :  20:56:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You should be able open GPX data in Garmin Mapsource, run a route through the waypoints. You may have to review them and make edits to follow route you want. Then if you have a older Garmin Streetpilot or Nuvi 750, etc. you can save the route and upload it to unit. You MUST have the same mapset on your Garmin as on your PC or it will give you an error message. The Streetpilot 2600 series is favored by bikers, and was sold as an option by BMW. They can be had for less than $100. Stay away from the 2620 which has internal r drive that fails
let us know how you make out.

GJH,Professional Land Surveyor Boston, MA
3-2610's, 2620 parts machine, 1-2730, SP-III, 2-GPS-V, Garmin C60CSX-Sweet!, Leica 1200 RTK, Leica 530 RTK, Trimble PROXRS DGPS, Garmin GPSMAP 478, 2 Nuvi 200, Garmin Ique 3600 PDA

Motorolla Droid-Cool Toy!
Go to Top of Page

HankB

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 05 juin 2012 :  22:38:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Roverguy.

You misunderstand my request.

I have a Garmin 2820 (not HD like the 2620) and Zumo 450 both of which have become unusable as they age. Both used to do exactly what I want but have gotten flaky with age. 2600 is no longer supported for map updates as well.

I'm looking for a solution that runs on my Android cell phone that I can download routes to.

thanks,
hank
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 22 juin 2012 :  13:09:52  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You could try Locus too, it's the "swiss knife" of GPS on Android I reckon, but it doesn't have turn by turn guidance like a road GPS, we have a topic about it here : http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=141133

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

xw227751

Albania
3 Posts

Posted - 18 déc. 2012 :  10:57:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can try this function is very powerful Bros TRP Converter software, there are those functions that you say, you can learn from it and see that you have no help.

Browser from Google search elements Keywords: Bros TRP Converter you can find this powerful software.

Christmas more software discount promotions, affordable lot!Merry Christmas!

http://www.brosvideo.com/mov-converter.html
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,78 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05