Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2273

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Garmin nüvi forums
 [TOPIC] nuvi 3490LMT - User Reviews
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 28

NYC Traveler

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 24 oct. 2011 :  16:26:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks. I will try that.

Overall I am enjoying the updated features of the 3490. Had a 3790 for a while and find this to be easier to use and with more features.

Thanks again.
Go to Top of Page

Dewi

623 Posts

Posted - 24 oct. 2011 :  16:39:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ZX14NINJA

@ Dewi - stations it seems to connect on here are 96.9/102.9, but it should have no bearing where you're located, unless you're in Montreal.:)
Thank-you for checking. Yes, I realize that I won't get the Montreal traffic broadcast here in Toronto. What I was interested in is whether you were receiving an HD-Radio signal or the usual RDS-FM signal. While AFAIK there is no HD-Radio broadcasting in Canada, I was curious to see if you were somehow receiving one with your GTM60 (maybe a data-only local broadcast or from a broadcast tower across the border??). CKOI 96.9 is the usual Montreal Navteq RDS-FM broadcast station, so I assume that's where you're getting your traffic data from. So in theory the data rate isn't any better than what you'd get with a GTM35, but you say that you have experienced more street coverage and faster updates. What station is 102.9...is its signal origin Montreal? I'm asking all of this because traffic info is important to me and I am wondering whether the 3490 will be any better than my 3790 for traffic in Toronto, given that there is no HD-Radio broadcasting here.
Go to Top of Page

ZX14NINJA

Canada
1010 Posts

Posted - 24 oct. 2011 :  20:48:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now that's bizarre, because against my 3790 LMT with the GTM 35, the updates are far more frequent and the traffic delays are not the same given the same exact route, so if they're not broadcasting in HD, I have to wonder why the GTM60/3490 LMT isn't showing the same traffic delays as the 3790 LMT or my Kenwood DNX9960, which is always the same as the 3790 LMT when placed side by side in the same vehicle? I'm stumped now...

@ST-BOB
The GTM60 does indeed search and receive in both HD and analogue - it has to, since there are many markets NOT being served by HD as of yet. I had traffic with the GTM60 in cities that I am sure do NOT support HD yet and the traffic signal was clear - with full traffic reporting.

Dewi - I can't PM you or e-mail you because you have that disabled, but if you reach out to me, I can help you with the choice.

Edited by - ZX14NINJA on 27 oct. 2011 02:35:52
Go to Top of Page

umc

6 Posts

Posted - 25 oct. 2011 :  02:48:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Trends a myth?

I've been using my 3490LMT for weeks now and it doesn't seem to be picking up "my trends". I drive the same route to and from work each day at pretty much the same times and the gps still takes me the way it wants to.

There isnt a lot of info on my trends so im wondering if im doing something wrong, my trends is turned on. Is there something I'm missing?
Go to Top of Page

LChisum

USA
124 Posts

Posted - 25 oct. 2011 :  03:05:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The way "my trends" works on my 2460, and I assume the same on your unit, is for example; when you leave work, the top of screen will show "home 20 miles, no traffic". If you tap the top of the screen "my trends" will set up any custom route you usually take home, rather than calculating the standard "GPS" route. As others have mentioned, I see very little value in this feature (except maybe the "no traffic" part), since I already know the way I am going to take home. I turned mine off.

Larry

GPS progression:
1999 Acura/Alpine in dash. Magellan Map330. StreetPilot Black&White.
StreetPilot ColorMap. StreetPilot 2610. Lowrance IWAY 250C. Nuvi 660. Nuvi 780. Nuvi 2460LMT. Nuvi 40LM. Nuvi 2595LMT
Go to Top of Page

NanaimoRick

Canada
7733 Posts

Posted - 25 oct. 2011 :  06:44:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by umc

My Trends a myth?

I've been using my 3490LMT for weeks now and it doesn't seem to be picking up "my trends". I drive the same route to and from work each day at pretty much the same times and the gps still takes me the way it wants to.

Maybe I am misunderstanding what your saying but if the GPS is "taking you the way it wants" then it sounds like you have a destination inputted into the Nuvi. As I understand it, myTrends will suggest to you a destination based on your previous trends when you DON'T ALREADY have a route inputted.

Rick James - Nuvi Forum Moderator
Nuvi 350 - Nuvi 760 - Nuvi 1695LM - Nuvi 3790LMT (with ecoRoutes HD) - Nuvi 2460LMT - Nuvi 3597LMTHD (with ecoRoutes HD) also TomTom 540S for side by side comparison >> Here <<
2014 Chevrolet Equinox 2LT AWD

Edited by - NanaimoRick on 25 oct. 2011 06:45:43
Go to Top of Page

andrewm568

5 Posts

Posted - 25 oct. 2011 :  08:36:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just upgraded from my trusty Nuvi 670 (US & Europe maps) to a 3490LMT (US only... god knows why they don't do a +Europe version!). Lots of nice new functionality, but still pretty simple to use.

One problematic area though is that the manual references a configuration area "Settings > Proximity Alerts". I can't see that option on my unit. Does it not show up on the US version? Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks

- Andrew
Go to Top of Page

NanaimoRick

Canada
7733 Posts

Posted - 25 oct. 2011 :  17:16:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andrew, try Tools - Settings - Navigation - Automotive - Proximity Points. There is a lot of stuff listed under Automotive so you may have to hit the down arrow once to find Proximity Points. The "Alerts" selection will show under Proximity Points.

Although those instructions are for the 3790 I wouldn't think there is a big difference between the 2 models.

Rick James - Nuvi Forum Moderator
Nuvi 350 - Nuvi 760 - Nuvi 1695LM - Nuvi 3790LMT (with ecoRoutes HD) - Nuvi 2460LMT - Nuvi 3597LMTHD (with ecoRoutes HD) also TomTom 540S for side by side comparison >> Here <<
2014 Chevrolet Equinox 2LT AWD

Edited by - NanaimoRick on 25 oct. 2011 17:47:00
Go to Top of Page

ZX14NINJA

Canada
1010 Posts

Posted - 25 oct. 2011 :  19:42:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a sneaking feeling that that option won't show up until you actually enter some CPOI's. Mine doesn't show it either.
Go to Top of Page

andrewm568

5 Posts

Posted - 25 oct. 2011 :  20:32:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NanaimoRick

Andrew, try Tools - Settings - Navigation - Automotive - Proximity Points. There is a lot of stuff listed under Automotive so you may have to hit the down arrow once to find Proximity Points. The "Alerts" selection will show under Proximity Points.

Although those instructions are for the 3790 I wouldn't think there is a big difference between the 2 models.

There is no automotive menu under Navigation. There is a Settings - Map & Vehicle, but there's no proximity settings under there either. I presume the menus are somewhat different for the 3490

quote:
Originally posted by ZX14NINJA

I have a sneaking feeling that that option won't show up until you actually enter some CPOI's. Mine doesn't show it either.

I don't believe I've ever created CPOI's - I've only ever used the inbuilt traffic camera alerts when in Europe on my old 670. I'm just hoping that this functionality will still work when I next get over there (after buying a new map).
Go to Top of Page

NYC Traveler

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 25 oct. 2011 :  20:41:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Try this...

Proximity Alerts Settings

Select Settings > Proximity Alerts.

• Audio—sets the tone of an alert.
• Alerts—alerts you when you approach custom safety cameras.
Go to Top of Page

andrewm568

5 Posts

Posted - 25 oct. 2011 :  20:44:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NYC Traveler

Try this...

Proximity Alerts Settings

Select Settings > Proximity Alerts.

Well that's what the manual says - unfortunately it bears no resemblance to reality! The "Settings > Proximity Alerts" option doesn't exist on my unit
Go to Top of Page

ST-Bob

USA
3684 Posts

Posted - 25 oct. 2011 :  20:55:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe because there are no built-in traffic camera data files in the unit???

Bob Peloquin - Moderator-Lowrance iWay forum
Massachusetts, USA
Various Iways, nüvi 750
Go to Top of Page

caryrae

USA
588 Posts

Posted - 25 oct. 2011 :  21:22:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got the proximity alert box to show on my 3490. You need to load custom poi's for it to show like ZX14NINJA said.

Edited by - caryrae on 25 oct. 2011 21:26:13
Go to Top of Page

ZX14NINJA

Canada
1010 Posts

Posted - 25 oct. 2011 :  23:21:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ST-Bob

Maybe because there are no built-in traffic camera data files in the unit???

I noticed that - it sux...LOL
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 28 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,91 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05