Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2319

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Garmin nüvi forums
 How to move Map from nuvi to SD card?
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Cosmopolitan

Canada
101 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2011 :  02:25:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My nuvi 3790 came with CN North America NT map. Later I bought CN Europe NT map on a DVD and installed it to the internal memory of the 3790. It was in the Map\gmapsupp.img and it worked fine during my trip to Europe.
Now I bought a 4GB micro SD card and transfered the European map to the micro SD card. (The free space in the internal memory was getting too small for a new map update.) Now my 3790 will not recognize the European map on the micro SD card.
What did I do wrong? I would appreciate any help to resolve the problem. I have saved the gmapsupp.img file (which is the CN Europe NT map) to my computer.

Ads

ST-Bob

USA
3684 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2011 :  03:20:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Locked maps are 'married' to a specific hardware's ID upon installation. They will not work on any other Nuvi nor on any other storage device for these locked maps. Unlocked maps are free to move but not the locked ones.

Bob Peloquin - Moderator-Lowrance iWay forum
Massachusetts, USA
Various Iways, nüvi 750
Go to Top of Page

jotne

Norway
1685 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2011 :  13:23:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A map can be locked to GPS ID or Card ID.
Map locked to GPS ID (normaly when you use map from DVD) will work on both GPS and on a SD Card, but will not work on another GPS.
Map locked to SD Card (typically Topo maps) will also work on SD card and on GPS, as long as the SD card its connected to is in the GPS. This map will work on any GPS, as long as is on its original SD card.

So you should be able to move card from internal memory to SD Card. Not sure whats your fault.

Previously owned : GPS "eTrex Yellow" "GPSmap 76S" "GPSMap 60CS" "GPSMAP 60CSx" "Nüvi 660"
Unit I have now :"Nüvi 760 EU" "Nüvi 765" "Edge 305" "Colorado 300"
Go to Top of Page

popej

Poland
532 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2011 :  13:24:15  Show Profile  Visit popej's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Your map should work on SD, try to saving it on SD as \Garmin\gmapsupp.img
I think \Map\gmapsupp.img should work too, maybe you changed file extension or made a typo in directory name.

popej
Go to Top of Page

sussamb

United Kingdom
905 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2011 :  13:47:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For the 37xx series it needs to be in a Map folder on the card, the card also needs to be Fat32 formatted. And while Garmin used to insist on the file being named gmapsupp.img the latest nuvis (from 12xx series on) will accept any name provided it ends in .img.

Edited by - sussamb on 23 juin 2011 13:59:09
Go to Top of Page

Boyd

USA
1731 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2011 :  15:58:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, on the 3790 if you are using a card I think you can place the file in EITHER the \Map or \Garmin folder. However, in internal memory the map needs to be in the \Map folder; it will NOT be recognized in the \Garmin folder. Or at least that I what I observed on my own 3790 shortly after I bought it (a year ago).

As the others have said, the DVD version of the map should work on a card with no issues. Try reinstalling it on the card using the original DVD.

Edited by - Boyd on 23 juin 2011 15:59:01
Go to Top of Page

Cosmopolitan

Canada
101 Posts

Posted - 25 juin 2011 :  02:49:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would like to thank everyone who helped me to solve this problem. The European maps on the microSD card is working fine now with my 3790.
First I did try to name the folder on the card to: \Garmin, \Garmin\Map, \Map and I also did hard reset several time, without success.
Then I removed the card from GPS and reinstalled the European mapset (which I saved on my PC) back to the \Map folder in the internal memory of the 3790. The GPS recognized the European maps. I knew that the maps are O.K.
Then I deleted everything from the card (formatted) and installed the saved mapset from the PC to the \Map folder in the card again. This time it worked. Obviously the first install was not done properly.
Now I see the following files in the \Map folder:
\gmapsupp.img (2,168,640 KB) CN Europe NT 2011.40
\gmapsupp.unl (1 KB) Unlock file
and 6 different .gma files (3 KB each)
What are these .GMA files ? Should I leave them, since they are only 3 KB each?
Thank you again.
Go to Top of Page

NanaimoRick

Canada
7739 Posts

Posted - 25 juin 2011 :  03:29:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You may want to leave them there. I think the .gma file is needed to unlock the maps.

Found this in a Google search:

"I believe CN (NA?) NT 2010.40 is a GMA product. That means you need a GMA file to unlock the product. You should be able to retrieve your unlock codes (and the GMA file) from my.garmin.com. Go to the myMaps tab, click 'details' for 2010.40, then 'Unlock On the Road/Trail Maps', scroll down and hit 'Retrieve Unlocks'. That will install the gma file for you.

Alternatively you could try to locate the gma file on your Nuvi and import the file with MapSource's Map Product Manager.

MapSource does not care if the Nuvi is connected or not. "

Rick James - Nuvi Forum Moderator
Nuvi 350 - Nuvi 760 - Nuvi 1695LM - Nuvi 3790LMT (with ecoRoutes HD) - Nuvi 2460LMT - Nuvi 3597LMTHD (with ecoRoutes HD) also TomTom 540S for side by side comparison >> Here <<
2014 Chevrolet Equinox 2LT AWD

Edited by - NanaimoRick on 25 juin 2011 05:16:38
Go to Top of Page

popej

Poland
532 Posts

Posted - 25 juin 2011 :  13:26:04  Show Profile  Visit popej's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Gma is a certificate to authenticate map. You will get message like "can't unlock map" when *.unl file with unlock code is missing. And you will get message "can't authenticate map", when *.gma file is missing.

Gma should be already installed in director \.System on nuvi. There could be multiple *.gma in this directory, difficult to tell which is for your map. If you know which is right one, you can move it to SD and rename to map file name (for example gmapsupp.gma). But gma is only 2.6kB, it doesn't take much of internal memory and you can leave it on nuvi.

popej
Go to Top of Page

lowarrow

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 30 juin 2011 :  06:00:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a similar problem, I have a Nuvi 205 with maps of Central America that I am trying to install onto an SD card so I can install that into a built in Kenwood Nav System in my vehicle. I have copied all the following files over SD/Garmin/..., but when I install it into my nuvi 660 I get a message 'Can't Unlock Maps'. If I rename it to SD/Maps/... I don't get the message but none of the maps are there. The files I have are Folders GPX & userdata, gmapbmap, gmapbmap.sum, gmapprom, gmapprom.sum, GMAPSUPP, gmaptz, gmaptz.sum.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7443 Posts

Posted - 30 juin 2011 :  12:50:18  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Maps are locked to one GPS. You would need to purchase a map for your Kenwood.

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Nüvi 760 in a '14 VW GTI & zumo 660 on a BMW F800 ST
Guide to working with pre-programmed routes: >> details <<
Language Guide / US Topo / 350 & 680 / MacBook & Intel iMac with OS X & Win XP / BaseCamp / Cape Cod, MA
Go to Top of Page

kernol

South Africa
1 Posts

Posted - 09 juil. 2011 :  18:59:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have just purchased 3760T with built in Europe NT. Internal memory [4Gb] is almost full. I have 8Gb SD card and wish to transfer the built in Europe Maps to the SD card and then add to that SD card maps of other areas for which I am currently licensed [via Garmap here in South Africa]. The built in maps appear to reside in the root of a hidden folder called .System and are named "gmapprom" with extensions .gma .img .sum and .unl There are also other .gma files as well as several folders in the .System folder.

Is it possible to move the built in maps to the SD card - and if so what files must I move across and to which folder on the SD card? I know that when transferring maps from MapSource a file called "gmapsupp.img" and associated files are automatically placed in a folder on the SD card called \Garmin - so don't expect I will have any clashes with the "built in" maps.

Many thanks

Go to Top of Page

sussamb

United Kingdom
905 Posts

Posted - 09 juil. 2011 :  23:00:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can't easily do what you want. Your nuvi expects to find gmapprom.img in its internal memory, without that it won't work so copying it across isn't an option. Your easiest route is to load any additional maps you want onto your card.
Go to Top of Page

jotne

Norway
1685 Posts

Posted - 11 juil. 2011 :  10:55:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Nüvi 765 do work fine without any gmapprom.img file in the GSP.
So I think this should work.
I do have CN on my SD card, and other small Topomap in the GPS.

Previously owned : GPS "eTrex Yellow" "GPSmap 76S" "GPSMap 60CS" "GPSMAP 60CSx" "Nüvi 660"
Unit I have now :"Nüvi 760 EU" "Nüvi 765" "Edge 305" "Colorado 300"
Go to Top of Page

sussamb

United Kingdom
905 Posts

Posted - 11 juil. 2011 :  14:48:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How did you do that though? I suspect it was more than simply copying files across?
Go to Top of Page

Boyd

USA
1731 Posts

Posted - 11 juil. 2011 :  17:43:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Be very careful. Some nuvi's will not boot if gmapprom.img is not found on the internal drive.

I don't understand why you just don't leave the pre-installed maps alone and add anything else you need to the SD card. Should work just the same.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,62 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05