Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2172

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Garmin nüvi forums
 Garmin - Lack of effective customer support
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

AussieDJM

Australia
121 Posts

Posted - 09 juin 2011 :  10:25:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My first Garmin has been the Nuvi 3790T with lifetime maps. An expensive but potentially excellent device.

It still lacks the "promised" ability to import routes (due first quarter 2011) and it seems every new firmware fixes "one" problem but introduces another.

Most recent and annoying problem is the Junction view display problem that was introduced with SW4.10 and 2012.10 maps. I have reported this fault to Garmin Support on at least four separate occasions. On each occasion a method of duplicating the problem was outlined.

Replies from Garmin Support have so ranged from Quote "you are missing a JCV file" through to "You need to master reset your Garmin phone".

The latest response to my plea for real support from Garmin Support suggested I "install firmware".

It appears that Garmin Customer Support have no desire to even acknowledge this problem, let alone try to fix it. Do they even bother to read the emails?

Is there a way to escalate issues with Garmin Company other than contacting their useless Customer Support.

Ads

beetle-m

Poland
265 Posts

Posted - 09 juin 2011 :  12:56:36  Show Profile  Visit beetle-m's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've sent the complaint letter to: Consumer Support Manager (Garmin UK - Southampton). Basing on Garmin's procedures I had to do it using standard paper copy (via post).

My topic: "TMC system in nuvi 3790 - COMPLAINT":
1. Green TMC icon still appears even no signal reported for 65 minutes
2. New, unusable TMC idea - no delay info near TMC icon.

Now I'm waiting for second answer (first was too funny to write details here).
After receiving "first professional reply" I'm going to publish it on my private web page.
That's probably the only way. I have no better ideas for now.

mariusz
nüvi 3490T (105-01652-00), nüvi 760 (006-B0754-00) & still 250W (006-B0737-00)

Edited by - beetle-m on 09 juin 2011 12:58:11
Go to Top of Page

AussieDJM

Australia
121 Posts

Posted - 09 juin 2011 :  13:43:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a way to run a business! It makes me wonder whether this behaviour is isolated or is wide spread. I suspect it's the latter.
Go to Top of Page

beetle-m

Poland
265 Posts

Posted - 09 juin 2011 :  14:20:39  Show Profile  Visit beetle-m's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've got following reply in my first letter from UK:
quote:
To better serve our customers, and to more easily manage the volume of submitted ideas, we created an idea portal for the public: www.garmin.com/ideas

Read "Terms of Use". I cannot accept first one:
"Garmin receives lots of ideas. Please don’t expect to hear back from us."

Is behaviour isolated ? No, company is.

mariusz
Go to Top of Page

popej

Poland
527 Posts

Posted - 09 juin 2011 :  14:22:16  Show Profile  Visit popej's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I guess, that Garmin removed 37xx from its business. No more development and support doesn't forward problems to development department but invents answers itself. Some of this answers are obviously wrong, like for JCV case. And you can get different answers for the same question, depending on who is replaying.

popej
Go to Top of Page

beetle-m

Poland
265 Posts

Posted - 09 juin 2011 :  14:46:53  Show Profile  Visit beetle-m's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob. I'm worry popej is right.
We will see nuvi 3795T before you will see solved problems in 3790T.

Edit. I never wrote 3795 will be better

mariusz

Edited by - beetle-m on 09 juin 2011 14:48:42
Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7437 Posts

Posted - 09 juin 2011 :  15:11:57  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Reminder: we allow and encourage constructive criticism of GPS products and services. We discourage rants.

Feel free to criticize specific shortcomings. That kind of discussion is useful for everyone. Rants which simply say a company or device is no good, without specific details, do not help anyone.

Thanks,

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Nüvi 760 in a '14 VW GTI & zumo 660 on a BMW F800 ST
Guide to working with pre-programmed routes: >> details <<
Language Guide / US Topo / 350 & 680 / MacBook & Intel iMac with OS X & Win XP / BaseCamp / Cape Cod, MA
Go to Top of Page

popej

Poland
527 Posts

Posted - 09 juin 2011 :  15:28:55  Show Profile  Visit popej's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is rant about support, isn't it?
Details are quoted responses. IMHO support behaves weird, when asked about bugs in 37xx. Can't we draw conclusions?

Just to remind 37xx problems, here is the list http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=140700#991415

And example of specific shortcoming:

popej
Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7437 Posts

Posted - 09 juin 2011 :  15:58:20  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
@popej:

Of course you can draw conclusions. What I am generally reminding people about is the key difference between a rant and a discussion of problems.

Rant: unfocused, emotional slamming of a product or company. All opinion; no fact. It is unsuitable here not because it criticizes the company, but because it does so with no information of any use to our members.

Discussion of problems: factual reporting of issues, flaws, difficulties and shortcomings. Contains opinions, but backed up by examples.

If you (or anyone else) wants to say that Garmin lacks effective customer support, that's fine when it's backed up by specific examples (as much of the discussion in this topic is). If however someone wants simply to say that the company is no good, that helps nobody and will therefore be removed.

Please note that your moderators have at times offered, and will continue to offer, opinions (backed by examples) of poor performance by Garmin, some of its GPSes, and its customer service. So we are not talking about whether your opinions agree with ours. We are talking about how all these opinions are presented.

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Language Guide / US Topo / 350 & 680 / MacBook & Intel iMac with OS X & Win XP / BaseCamp / Cape Cod, MA
Go to Top of Page

Bob Razowsky

Czech Republic
39 Posts

Posted - 09 juin 2011 :  16:02:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@ Mariusz
Garmin 3795? I assume it will be based on the same Software, in that case that might help to fix 3790's bugs. I can't remember now if the Nuvi 760 and 765 had the same Soft? Mariusz, do you have any information about the 3795, any link to it?

@ Dan
Rants? My only concern is to have a GPS fully operational. I bought mine in April 2010, and since, it is still not working properly (see all related topics in English as well as in French across this site). It's unfortunate that Garmin does not care about his customers, and it is even more unfortunate as my previous 760 was working perfectly (although a bit slow). I bought the 3790 based on this previous excellent experience, but this latest product is far from meeting my expectations (and not only mine). Therefore based on all written issues spread across this forum, to say that the Nuvi 3790 is a lousy crap... ok, sorry... to say that the Nuvi 3790 is a substandard GPS, it's not a rant but a fact founded on real examples and shared amongst Nuvi 3790 owners.
Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7437 Posts

Posted - 09 juin 2011 :  16:08:40  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
@Bob:

See my post above. Criticizing the 3790, with specific examples, is useful to our members. I'm not personally offended by you calling it "crap," but that needs facts (which you have supplied) to go along with it.

Try this simple test. If you were shopping for a 3790 as a newbie, which type of forum post would help you more:

"The 3790 is a piece of crap."

or ...

"The 3790 is a piece of crap because it still does not support pre-planned routes despite a promised firmware upgrade from Garmin."

As a moderator, I would remove the former and not touch the latter.

But this topic is the wrong place to debate forum operations, so let's get back to customer service and just keep this point in mind.

Thanks,

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Go to Top of Page

Bob Razowsky

Czech Republic
39 Posts

Posted - 09 juin 2011 :  16:38:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dan, you're right, this does not bring anywhere. So back to the "Customer Service" support.

Do you guys from Poland receive appropriate answers? I sent a few questions to the local support here in Prague, and after 3 or 4 exchanges (without any appropriate help) they oriented me to the UK (most probably fed up with my insistence). After a bit of delay (although reasonable), the only answer I received from the UK support was something like "yes, we are aware of, it'll be fixed in the next release". And that was 9 months ago. Now based on Popej's bug list (which could be appended with Voice Command issues, not TTS, but Voice Command unusable in the Czech lands -set in English, not in CZ the Voice Command-), I'd like to know whether they forward these complaints to their technical support, whether these guys are trying to fix them, and why does it take so long to fix something that was working properly on the Nuvi 760? So finally, my question is the same as AussieDJM's: Is there a way to escalate issues with Garmin Company other than contacting their useless Customer Support?
Go to Top of Page

Boyd

USA
1719 Posts

Posted - 09 juin 2011 :  19:30:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For starters, when somebody says "xxx is a piece of crap..." they have already lost all credibility with me, regardless of whatever follows. Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion, and I enjoy reading well-written criticism. But when you use phrases like "sucks" and "piece of crap", you've lost me. Find a way to express your opinion using proper English. Sorry, guess I'm getting old.

I was an early adopter of the Nuvi 3790 myself, and I would like to see better support. I rolled my firmware way back to a version from 6 months ago because of all the oddities in the newer versions.

Nevertheless, I'd have to say that I'm completely happy with my 3790. Could it be better? Certainly. But it's "good enough" for my needs as it is. This does not mean that it will be good enough for your needs or that you shouldn't complain to Garmin. But it does mean that we all have our own needs and expectations with a product.

Regarding the "3795"... um, I think Popej was just being a little sarcastic. My personal guess is that the 3700 series is a dead end and was sort of a challenge for Garmin, who wanted to show they could make something like an iPhone. I'd be surprised to see any new models like this.... but what do I know?
Go to Top of Page

14 Posts

Posted - 09 juin 2011 :  23:34:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
US support is certainly disconnected from any common sense.

Two weeks ago I've sent this question in
quote:
Subject: MapSource route transfer
Message: When I purchased my 3790LMT there was statement on your web site that route transfer from MapSource to 3790 will be enabled by the end of Q1 2011. That date has passed and I still don't see that feature enabled despite 3 firmware updates since I purchased. Worse yet I don't see above statement any more. Using trip planer on device is not replacement. Not in usability nor in functionality. What is current status of that feature?

Their answer
quote:
Thank you for contacting Garmin International. I would be happy to help you with this. Currently at this time using MapSource to transfer routes isn't a supported feature. It's possible it might still get added. Unfortunately we don't have any further information regarding using MapSource with the 3790.

First they tell me what I told them (Currently at this time using MapSource to transfer routes isn't a supported feature). Then they add something that's completely irrelevant to my question and doesn't make any sense. (Unfortunately we don't have any further information regarding using MapSource with the 3790)

Worst of all (It's possible it might still get added) is as close as admitting we won't see this feature ever.

All I can say 3790 is let down from my old 60CSx.
Go to Top of Page

ZeMartelo

12 Posts

Posted - 10 juin 2011 :  05:38:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the biggest problem is that Garmin has stopped listening to its customers.
Bugs are being reported, features are being offered but Garmin just ignores it all, I suspect that all the customer service emails dont get past the CSR which is the first point of contact.
Garmin lives in its own world, they think of new hardware and what features to put in it with no regard of what the customers want.

I reported many times my grief with the way dynamic zoom works with the 24XX units and everytime the only reply I get is that theres nothing that can be done. That is the wrong answer. As a consumer of the product and as a user the fix seems rather easy but Garmin prefers to ignore my problem.
In the meantime I am sure they are working on the new nuvi model with the features they think the consumers want not the other way around.
I have made my decision and the 24XX was the last Garmin model of any kind that I buy.
Ranting in these forums is not going to change anything, the only way to make them listen to us again is by hitting them where it hurts... the bottomline.
Go to Top of Page

jsolo213

156 Posts

Posted - 10 juin 2011 :  06:31:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone tried to push garmin to refund their purchase price on the 37xx device due to it not performing as advertised (lack of gpx route support for example). Had I purchased this unit with the understanding that such functionality would be added later, and even as stated by garmin's faq (someone must have a pdf of that page before they changed it), I'd be furious. Perhaps more results might be achieved by sending emails to people (upper management) in positions that can affect such results.

I had an ongoing issue with my cable internet. Attempting to resolve this by going through normal channels was a waste of time. I was told it's being escalated, no issue found, etc.. This went on for about 2 months. I finally got fed up, and contacted a friend who happened to work for the company. I was provided several key emails. I sent a polite, professional email describing how long i've been a customer for, my issue, and attempts at resolution. Two hours after sending this email, a mgr of local care was on the phone, and an hour later, 2 trucks showed up at my alley. Within a week, the problem was isolated and corrected.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05