Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2221

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Garmin nüvi forums
 City Navigator vs Explorer What is the real differ
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rickdude

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 19 mai 2011 :  19:08:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is not really clear to me what the real differences of the City Navigator and City Explorer Maps.

I understand the Explorer mapsets include bus and train schedules. Other than that I am not sure if there is a difference.

Could any one help me understand this?

Thanks

Dude

Nuvi 3790LMT

Ads

popej

Poland
527 Posts

Posted - 19 mai 2011 :  19:25:04  Show Profile  Visit popej's Homepage  Reply with Quote
CityXplorer maps contain one or more tiles from corresponding City Navigator and additionally data for public transport.

popej
Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7438 Posts

Posted - 19 mai 2011 :  20:11:30  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Garmin has a bad habit of using ambiguous terminology, such as "Mapsource" to mean both trip planning software and/or maps that you use with that software.

In this case, you can if you wish think of it as a map that allows you to navigate from city to city (CN) versus one which lets you explore those cities (CX).

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Nüvi 760 in a '14 VW GTI & zumo 660 on a BMW F800 ST
Guide to working with pre-programmed routes: >> details <<
Language Guide / US Topo / 350 & 680 / MacBook & Intel iMac with OS X & Win XP / BaseCamp / Cape Cod, MA

Edited by - danham on 19 mai 2011 20:13:53
Go to Top of Page

Boyd

USA
1721 Posts

Posted - 19 mai 2011 :  20:37:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The public transit data can be used in calculating pedestrian routes in CityXplorer. However, this only works on the newer Nuvi series, such as your 3790.
Go to Top of Page

Rickdude

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 19 mai 2011 :  21:35:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So unless I have interest in bus and train schedules. There is no reason for me to purchase a city explorer map for use with my 3790LMT.

Is this a correct line of thought?

Dude

Nuvi 3790LMT
Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7438 Posts

Posted - 19 mai 2011 :  22:14:50  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, unless detailed pedestrian directions are something you need. But I haven't compared in-city detail between CN and CX, so there may not be enough (if any) difference to warrant the extra cost.

Maybe someone who has used both can chime in here.

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Nüvi 760 in a '14 VW GTI & zumo 660 on a BMW F800 ST
Guide to working with pre-programmed routes: >> details <<
Language Guide / US Topo / 350 & 680 / MacBook & Intel iMac with OS X & Win XP / BaseCamp / Cape Cod, MA
Go to Top of Page

LER

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 19 mai 2011 :  23:19:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I loaded the Austin, TX CX map, and for walking it didn't seem to add anything, except for the abilty to turn on "pedestrian" as a route type.

With having to PAY for updates every quarter, it wasn't worth it to me.

If they would sync it with the NuMaps Lifetime maps for purchase, and charge maybe $10/year instead of $10/quarter I MIGHT use them, but for me, it's not something I'm using.

I had to have Garmin Tech Support delete them from my MyMaps profile so it wasn't constantly nagging me to upgrade them.

Garmin SP2720/7.20 Firmware/GTM-12 (5.50)/CNNA NT 2012.30 (Lifetime)
Garmin Nuvi 1690/3.90 Firmware/CNNA NT 2012.30 (Lifetime)
Garmin Nuvi 3790T/4.70 Firmware/CNNA NT 2012.30 (Lifetime)
Go to Top of Page

popej

Poland
527 Posts

Posted - 19 mai 2011 :  23:29:07  Show Profile  Visit popej's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No need to compare, these are the same maps. Look at your City Navigator in Mapsource. Take "map" tool and watch how map is divided into tiles. Most big cities have own separate tile. These are tiles used by cityXporer.

popej

Edited by - popej on 19 mai 2011 23:30:22
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05