Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2264

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 GPS on Google Android - gps4android.com
 [TIP] GPS on Nook Color - 7" Android Tablet
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 07 mai 2011 :  21:52:28  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
TIP - GPS ON THE NOOK COLOR

Those who have a Barnes & Noble Nook Color eReader also have a full blown Android tablet with Bluetooth and therefore capable of running Google Maps Navigation when connected to an external Bluetooth GPS receiver (any model will work) and to a tethered smartphone. Only a Bluetooth GPS would be needed if you ran an on-board GPS application like ALK's CoPilot of course.

A ready-made SD ROM with Bluetooth enabled is available on XDA Dev here : http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=989637 - what's nice is that everything goes on the microSD card, the internal ROM is unchanged so you can switch back and forth easily between the full ROM and the standard Nook.

Give it a try!

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?

Ads

toronado455

70 Posts

Posted - 07 mai 2011 :  22:03:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So it requires both the external Bluetooth GPS receiver and a tethered smartphone for this to work?

LG Optimus V BACKside ROM (CM7)

Edited by - toronado455 on 07 mai 2011 22:04:03
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 07 mai 2011 :  23:29:17  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well yes, the Bluetooth GPS is needed for the GPS position and the tethered connection is needed for access to the internet, something that's required for Google Maps Navigation to work. GMN has a cache now so in theory you could calculate a route with using home network before you head out but I've seen it go into "recalculate" mode from time to time and you'd be stuck.

That's for GMN though, you can buy an on-board GPS navigation application like ALK Copilot and you won't need an internet connection for guidance.

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

Jim1348

USA
537 Posts

Posted - 09 mai 2011 :  23:01:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What did you use for a windshield mount?
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 09 mai 2011 :  23:43:01  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have a rather cumbersome windshield mount with "claws" for 7" tablets but in this case I just squeezed the NC (and it's leather cover) between the dash and the windhsield. Only good for a a short drive obviously.

Go to Top of Page

toronado455

70 Posts

Posted - 11 juin 2011 :  12:29:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could you tell us which bluetooth GPS receiver you use?

LG Optimus V BACKside ROM (CM7)

Edited by - toronado455 on 16 juin 2011 01:24:39
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 17 juin 2011 :  00:48:50  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've used several and since the device/GPS connection uses the standard SPP (Serial Profile) any GPS will work. Do you have a Nook yourself to try now?

Go to Top of Page

sbn

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 18 juin 2011 :  18:40:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,
How did you get CoPilot8 android app to work on your Nook? I am using CM7 and a Wintech 200 GPS that seems to work great with the Nook but when starting the Copilot app all I get is "Unable to register for GPS updates". Hitting OK just closes the app and I can not find any solutions in any forum. How did you di it? [ed]
Thanks.

Joe
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 18 juin 2011 :  19:10:51  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My comment was theoretical as I used CoPilot as an example of an "on-board" application requiring no GPS connection. Having said that I can't see why it wouldn't work, what app are you using to get the GPS data into your Nook? A couple are referenced here http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=138782

Go to Top of Page

sbn

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 21 juin 2011 :  02:25:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have tried 3 apps, Bluetooth GPS mouse, Bluetooth GPS by Googoo and Bluetooth GPS provider. Only Bluetooth GPS provider has been able to work. With it, I can access the steam of data from the Wintec 200 GPS but I cannot get CoPilot8 to load up. All I get is that "Unable to register for GPS updates" and once I hit ok it closes. This always happens even though I have a full wireless aand 3G connection.

Joe
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 21 juin 2011 :  02:33:30  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's strange, "Google Maps Navigation" works ok? How about tools like "GPS Status" or "GPS Test" ?

Go to Top of Page

ve7mdt

Canada
170 Posts

Posted - 05 mars 2012 :  08:06:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I sold my Nook Color but before I noticed that the BT has very short range due to not having an antenna attached (the chipset uses an RF switch but it's not selectable so the WiFi always gets the antenna switched to it), therefore I gave up that idea, especially friend told me about the client / server method of sharing Android smartphone's on board GPS data (but then I didn't get to test that either, before I sold it). I guess it'll work in BT as long as the BT GPSr is placed very close to the NC. I tested a A2DP speaker and had to place it very close or it'll get garbled audio or even disconnection.

Certainly easier if it has a BT antenna but I didn't get to hack one inside, again, too bad I no longer have it. Would be a great hacking project.

iPad WiFi w/ RoqyBT to use BT GPSr, LG Optimus G2x, BenQ S6, Samsung Q1, Toshiba e830, Toshiba e805, HTC Advantage X7501, Nextar MN2707 running P7, Magellan Springboard GPS on Visor 2MB, Haicom HI-303III + BT slipper, Holux GPSlim236, eTrex yellow
TomTom 1.9 for iOS, Navigon 2.0 for iOS, Navigon for Android, Garmin Mobile XT, Delorme Street Atlas 2009, Streets & Trips 2010, MapPoint 2010, APRSIS/CE, APRSIS/32, APRSDroid
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 09 mars 2012 :  17:48:42  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well I'm sure you can find a used one for a good price ;-) But yes, BT range is rather limited and since I now have an HTC HD2 running Android/WP7 I no longer use the Nook for GPS guidance but it was interesting to experiment ;-)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05