Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2243

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Handheld Portable GPS Receivers
 Time/speed between 2 points? eTrex HC series
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

vodka

Canada
9 Posts

Posted - 22 mars 2011 :  16:45:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have looked through the manual of the eTrex HC series and can't figure this out.

I would like to know if it's possible to set up 2 points on the GPS so that the unit will calculate the time and speed between those 2 points.

Let me explain. I will mount my GPS on my OC (outrigger canoe) as in the summer I use the OC for practice for dragonboat. I need to improve my technique (so therefore speed) and need to measure this for a certain distance.

What I'm looking to do is mark the start point and end point on the GPS and do this distance changing my technique.

Anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks in advance!

Ads

gpspassion

93959 Posts

Posted - 22 mars 2011 :  21:52:29  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
And you'd want it to count the "laps" automatically based on programmed end and start points? There are some smartphone apps (like ChronoGPS) for car racing that do that but I can't think of any standalone GPS device that would do that. On the other hand you could easily analyze the tracks once you're back home.

Come to think of it, a Garmin Forerunner would do a good job at this as you just need to press a button to start a lap and push again when you're done. The screens will instantly show you average speed, top speed, distance.

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

ddabcd277

310 Posts

Posted - 25 mars 2011 :  10:56:52  Show Profile  Visit ddabcd277's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think there would be no problem but it is going to be a little bit uncomfortable compared to Forerunner series. In Forerunner those function are made in a better way. If you are going to use etrex HC for measuring Time you should use the Stopwatch function and for measuring Speed the Trip Computer.

Cheers,

Edited by - ddabcd277 on 25 mars 2011 10:57:24
Go to Top of Page

vodka

Canada
9 Posts

Posted - 25 mars 2011 :  14:53:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your input. The main reason I decided to get the eTrex was that it's more versatile. I can use it on the OC as well as hiking as I do both quite frequently. After reading some reviews on the Forerunner (I'm assuming it's the watch you are referring to) I wasn't impressed at the accuracy, plus I find it much too big to wear on the wrist. I do love the eTrex features, I guess I will have to play with it.

I've also looked for mounts (either premade or DIY) in order to get the eTrex on the OC so I can watch the trip/stopwatch while I paddle but so far have come up short. I will see if I can make something though, I'm pretty handy that way! :)
Go to Top of Page

ddabcd277

310 Posts

Posted - 25 mars 2011 :  17:10:56  Show Profile  Visit ddabcd277's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, etrex probably is the better choice in that case. Just you should play with it and see how you are going to use it's functions to fit in the best way. I guess it will be something like reseting the trip computer before you start and after that starting the timer (Stopwatch).

Garmin is recommending this mount:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=863

but can't see it on a canoe. I know that there are some special RAM mounts offroaders are using on ATV's and motorcycles that probably will do the job. The bad thing is that they are not very cheep.

http://www.getprice.com.au/images/uploadimg/1417/350_RAM-B-138-GA5.jpg

Probably you can make something similar yourself. Hope you manage. :)

Cheers,
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93959 Posts

Posted - 25 mars 2011 :  18:00:35  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Actually the Forerunners since the 205 series have been quite wearable and the accuracy is excellent, they use the proven SiRFstarIII chipset after all, and I'd tested that back at the time in its topic. I always have it with me when I go on a hike -> http://www.flickr.com/photos/gpspassion/5367059887/ ;-)

I never understood why Garmin didn't implement the Forerunner's and Edge's very convenient stopwatch -> start recording a track on the handhelds, it's such a hassle to manually have to reset the counters and save the track or waste time on your computer to edit tracks to match the start and stops.

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

vodka

Canada
9 Posts

Posted - 03 juin 2011 :  21:43:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your suggestions; I will be making a mount myself, I went to the hardware store and found screws with the correct thread for the back of the unit, so now it's just a matter of time till I come up with something that will work (most likely something that will allow me to strap the unit to my leg just above my knee.

Quite a lot of other dragonboaters have the Forerunner 305, and despite its functions (and chipset), these units are quite a lot slower in response, tracking actual speed in real time. The HC beats the 305 in this respect.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05