Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2317

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Garmin nüvi forums
 [TOPIC] Understanding the "Trip Log" of the nuvi
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

NanaimoRick

Canada
7739 Posts

Posted - 23 févr. 2011 :  05:54:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I always use the Diagnostic Logging feature, turned on through the Speedo screen, to create a GPX file log that records data every second. This method creates a new log file very time I turn the Nuvi on and closes it when I turn the 3790 off. This makes it very simple to establish what dates the logs cover using the various GPX file "date stamps".

However the nuvis have a built-in "Trip Log" feature that records data optimized for distance and time. It can't be stopped but its display can be toggled on an off and it can be cleared manually. It keeps 10,000 points in its active log visible directly in Basecamp or Mapsource but it also archives previous logs in the \GPX\Archive folder.

Maybe someone here can explain how the "Archive" gpx log files created on my 3790 are created because looking at the files and their contents, I have no idea. I recall deleting the archive files a couple of months ago because I wasn't using them. I now have 10 GPX files in the Archive folder, all with date stamps after the date I cleaned out this directory. Here is what my archive file looks like:

So my initial reaction was that a new archive log file is created when ever the data reaches something over 2000KB. So far that seems reasonable.

But then I look inside each of those 10 GPX files by loading them individually into Mapsource. The contents of the files load into Mapsource as 'tracks' but what I don't understand is what determines which tracks are included in each gpx archive file. There seems to be no logic to it other than it roughly follows some date sequence. Here is a summary of the contents of my 10 files:

GPX1 - 55 tracks dated Dec 7 to Dec 19
GPX2 - 52 tracks dated Dec 6 to Dec 19 and one small track dated Jan 20/11
GPX3 - 73 tracks dated Dec 7 to Dec 28
GPX4 - 86 tracks dated Dec 11 to Jan 4
GPX5 - 83 tracks dated Dec 12 to Jan 4
GPX6 - 64 tracks dated Dec 13 and 14, Jan 21 to Feb 12
GPX7 - 58 tracks dated Jan 22 to Feb 12
GPX8 - 52 tracks dated Jan 23 to Feb 12
GPX9 - 61 tracks dated Jan 25 to Feb 18
GPX10 - 6 tracks dated Jan 25 to Jan 28 and note-this file wasn't created until Feb 18th

If someone has an explanation of how these archive files are created and what determines the tracks that are in them, and when is a new file started, we'd appreciate hearing it.

Rick James - Nuvi Forum Moderator
Nuvi 350 - Nuvi 760 - Nuvi 1695LM - Nuvi 3790LMT (with ecoRoutes HD) - Nuvi 2460LMT - Nuvi 3597LMTHD (with ecoRoutes HD) also TomTom 540S for side by side comparison >> Here <<
2014 Chevrolet Equinox 2LT AWD

Ads

gpspassion

94046 Posts

Posted - 23 févr. 2011 :  05:58:58  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for starting a new topic on the "Trip Log" feature. It's not as powerful as the "Raw Datalogger" but is has its advantages, such as running at all times, generating presumable smaller files thanks to the distance/time optimized recording and being visible directly in Basecamp or Mapsource.

I'm puzzled as well on how the archiving works exactly. In my case I had data ranging back about two months, as I might have cleared the logs when I needed space on my 3790. I'll be keeping an eye on how the archives grow going forward!

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7443 Posts

Posted - 23 févr. 2011 :  14:04:17  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My ancient GPS III+ behaved a bit like this, if I recall correctly. It's no longer capable of connecting to any computer I own, so I can't verify, but I do remember that it had some odd grouping of stored track data.

It also had a built in smoothing algorithm to take out extraneous points before dumping the data to MapSource and a function for following your most recent track in reverse -- great for woods exploration.

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Nüvi 760 in a '14 VW GTI & zumo 660 on a BMW F800 ST
Guide to working with pre-programmed routes: >> details <<
Language Guide / US Topo / 350 & 680 / MacBook & Intel iMac with OS X & Win XP / BaseCamp / Cape Cod, MA
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94046 Posts

Posted - 23 févr. 2011 :  20:23:32  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes and it's nice to be able to merge tracks with just one click in Mapsource. The only issue with not recording a position every second would be for geocoding pictures taken while driving, but now we have cameras with GPS...that aren't very accurate either so "post-processing" (looking at satellite maps) is needed if you want to pinpoint an exact spot, like I did last week to mark the change of the Apache Trail from asphalt to dirt : http://www.panoramio.com/photo/48338720 ;-)

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

peterjt

Canada
22 Posts

Posted - 25 févr. 2011 :  06:39:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just noticed I have an archive GPX file on my 2350. What I have been doing is using the free version of Allways Sync http://alwaysync.com/ to "archive" my current.gpx each time I attach the Nuvi to my PC; so as of now I have added the Archive directory too. With luck as time goes on I should see some pattern emerge as to when the archive IS created.

(I'm still in the honeymoon period of taking the GPS with me each time I head out in the car, and then when I get home attaching it to the PC to save the GPX files).
Go to Top of Page

jsolo213

156 Posts

Posted - 25 févr. 2011 :  23:50:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Peter, try contacting garmin to see if you can get the mapsource dvd. It'll be quite useful at parsing and managing gpx files. Among other things, you can save the gpx as a gdb, which is mapsource's binary format - great reduction in file size. Obviously most important is being able to overlay the track data with your exact map.
Go to Top of Page

NanaimoRick

Canada
7739 Posts

Posted - 26 févr. 2011 :  00:09:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mapsource doesn't really do you a lot of good unless you have a copy of the City Navigator maps on your computer for it to use. You can however download Garmin's BaseCamp software which will go everything that Mapsource will and, with your Nuvi connected to the PC, use the maps on the GPS, so no need to have them on your computer.

Mapsource will be installed for you when and if you update the maps for your Nuvi.

Rick James - Nuvi Forum Moderator
Nuvi 350 - Nuvi 760 - Nuvi 1695LM - Nuvi 3790LMT (with ecoRoutes HD) - Nuvi 2460LMT - Nuvi 3597LMTHD (with ecoRoutes HD) also TomTom 540S for side by side comparison >> Here <<
2014 Chevrolet Equinox 2LT AWD

Go to Top of Page

jsolo213

156 Posts

Posted - 26 févr. 2011 :  00:15:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick... I was referring to the CN maps, thus my reference to the garmin dvd.

For routing purposes, I'm more proficient in mapsource. I'm not familiar with the 2xxx series devices as far as custom routes go, so if it's just a single destination type gps, then basecamp map very well suffice.

What they really ought to do is make a single application that combines the features of both.
Go to Top of Page

peterjt

Canada
22 Posts

Posted - 26 févr. 2011 :  00:57:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Neat! I had done the map update earlier and had not noticed I now had MapSource :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05