Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2317

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 TomTom AIO Forums - www.GOTomTom.com
 [TOPIC] TomTom GPS GO 2435, 2535 - MyTomTom
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Kex

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 29 mai 2011 :  06:38:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't know if that will ever make it over here for release. It may simply have been a way to enable better use of different map zones in Europe. Currently users have to remove one zone to use another, which can be very inconvenient, obviously. The North America maps can hold entirely on a device, so there's no need for that.

Also, the integrated mount is going to be a step down from the surprisingly ingenious magnetic mount on the GO 2535 model in my opinion.

TomTom XL 340S LIVE, GO LIVE 2535M, XL 340TM (RDS-TMC) in LA traffic
Garmin StreetPilot 2720 (worthy, but retired)
Go to Top of Page

volant99

77 Posts

Posted - 29 mai 2011 :  08:15:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I did take the 2535 live for a test drive today. and while i think there are many useful and innovative features, such as iq routes and hd traffic, there are some major dealbreakers in the user interface that make it simply unuseable to me. the most glaring flaw is in the POI search function: none of the POI's list the actual address. although it displays a map showing the location of the poi, it does not list the actual address. let me point out how this can be especially troublesome: in southern california, there are many kaiser hospitals. and if i were in an emergency, i would search under poi/hospital and a multitude of kaiser hospitals will be listed. however tomtom will not list an address but will instead display a location on the map. and you must click through each kaiser entry to look at the map. now that is especially confusing, as tomtom expects me to guess the correct hospital based on looking at a map rather than simply listing an address. and i would have to do a time consuming search through each kaiser on the list and then look at a map to "guess" if i pick the correct kaiser based on deciphering its location on the map. now, assuming i do not know the area well, i would be guessing that i chose the correct kaiser hospital on the map. and if i were in an emergency situation and i were trying to match the hospital up with an address from the phonebook, you can guess how this would be especially maddening. now, you could say that i have google search function to fall back on, but what's even more aggravating is that the google search does not list the address in the search heading, so you must click through each entry to see if you have the correct address...and in los angeles, there must be at least 20 entries for kaiser to click through. so, in this scenario, if you want to convey the address of the kaiser hospital to a family member with whom may want to meet at the hospital, you cannot, as tomtom does not list the address. it boggles my mind that, as innovative as tomtom is, that they can overlook such a basic need as to list the street address in the poi! to me, this is incredibly exasperating. needless to say, i will be returning this tomtom back to the store and returning to my magellan/navteq unit.

and another user on a different forum points out another frustration:
"Secondly, this is a Tomtom pet peeve that I really wish they would fix. When you store a favorite, it does not store the street number. You save for example 100 Main Street, it saves Main Street. It doesn't hurt the favorite but if I don't remember a street address and can't recall it myself, I can't give the address to someone else if need be. It has been this way since my very first Tomtom and I have complained about it with each new model I buy but that seems to be a fix they just don't want to do."

what is with tomtom's decision not to display addresses correctly in either the poi or favorite??? why list a "partial" address without a street number? why list no address at all??? frustrating, to say the least.

Edited by - volant99 on 29 mai 2011 08:33:35
Go to Top of Page

Kex

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 29 mai 2011 :  17:35:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I understand the first point your making, although it doesn't matter to me. The second point, I don't know how that person stores their favorites or POI's, but I've never encountered that problem.

As you know by now, my main priority is traffic, since that's what my GPS is used for daily. IQ Routes and HD Traffic work, as you pointed out, so that matches my priorities ... and it's the single best reason to buy a TomTom instead of another brand in my opinion. Everything else boils down to opinions and preferences, which are minor for me, but some of those will also be in favor of a TomTom unit. It's why I was prepared to live with the average screen quality of the XL 340S LIVE to begin with, and that was when only IQ Routes was working properly, since traffic wasn't "HD" yet, and it wasn't all that brilliant either (TrafficCast in the first half of 2010).

Go to Top of Page

volant99

77 Posts

Posted - 30 mai 2011 :  02:38:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i agree kex, the hd traffic and iq routes work well...extremely well in fact. but to me, the lack of address data in the poi is a fatal flaw to an otherwise fantastic gps. tomtom really hit a home run with the iq route/hd traffic concept but they seriously dropped the ball with a major blunder on a very basic issue...the need for addresses. if they fix this issue, then i will be back, otherwise i'm returning to the magellan/navteq camp for now...and i'm really hoping they will fix it, as i, like you, really need a traffic navigator in LA. tomtom seems like they are striving for perfection and seriously listen to customer feedback, so hopefully they will fix it.

Edited by - volant99 on 30 mai 2011 02:51:13
Go to Top of Page

Kex

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 30 mai 2011 :  03:03:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Showing Adresses for Destinations:

I'm sorry it didn't work out for you volant99. I confess that I haven't yet needed an address, but it does seem silly that it wouldn't be there if needed, since it IS there on the budget XL340S LIVE. The GO 2535 is clearly a superior product in many ways in my opinion, but the good ol' XL can still manage to do things the new GO cannot!

EDIT 1: Actually apparently this is map version related, since after checking, the XL 340 no longer displays full addresses either. I think I read elsewhere that this was phased out with map version v860, possibly to save memory or something.

Searching for a Starbucks on the included POI database will show a location on the map, so a cross street would be the best available information if wanting to meet someone there. Oddly perhaps, the Show info button shows a URL (which is useless) and the phone number (which is not). The new GO 2535 displays the same information.

How much "space" or memory would a street number, street name and city location take up anyway?

Otherwise, if one adds the Starbucks POI database to an XL 340 using TomTom Home, then all the Starbucks listed have their full address, but NO phone number ... dang!

Underground Structures:

One thing I have noticed that is an improvement on the XL is that the GO 2535 seems to have a GPS signal just about anywhere in my home. I don't think it has ever lost it. Why is this useful? Well, remember those underground parking garage locations (like under the Whole Foods Market in Pasadena, for me)? Those are no longer an issue. This is especially true since, if the GPS signal IS lost, the GO 2535 just asks if you want it to assume that it's still in the same location as when last turned off.

EDIT 2: The way this works, after checking it recently, is that when you first turn on the GO 2535 in an underground parking garage (for example) and select a destination for navigation, a screen pops up displaying:
Waiting for a valid GPS signal

Last known location:
(Street name, City or town location, STATE)
At that point, there are two buttons on the bottom left of the screen:

"Cancel", which simply cancels navigation.
"Use last known location", which immediately plans the route using the last known location shown on the screen.

Edited by - Kex on 07 juin 2011 02:41:57
Go to Top of Page

Kex

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 07 juin 2011 :  02:57:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Updating GO 2535

Well, I just updated my GO 2535M LIVE for the first time using MyTomTom.

I created a new account with a new e-mail, since I still have the old XL 340S LIVE registered to another address (and may even keep it anyway). MyTomTom downloaded in seconds and installed effortlessly, so I logged in and checked for updates. Two were available: the application on the device, and maps.

I wanted to uncheck maps to get those later, since it was such a large download, but I was having some issue with IE9 that would not allow me to uncheck the box next to that item. I'm not all that familiar with Windows or IE anymore, since I don't normally use them, so I downloaded and installed Chrome instead (I normally use Chromium or Firefox). This time it worked easily, and I was able to:

- Download the application in less than two minutes,
- Install it completely in less than three more.

Later, I installed the maps alone so that I now use v870.

- The download lasted about 75 minutes,
- Installation lasted about the same.

This compares to the XL which requires 40 minutes to download and 45 minutes to install, but it has only 2 GB of memory compared to 4 GB for the new GO.

Everything worked smoothly, and so far there have been no problems with this process. The device operated with very few, if any problems in out-of-the-box state, before updating.

Go to Top of Page

raheitmann

1 Posts

Posted - 04 juil. 2011 :  09:58:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I purchased a new GO 2535 TM WTE from the TT web site: I DON"T RECOMMEND ANYONE PURCHASE THIS:

- using it in Paris
- when it is working, it isn't very smart about delays and alternate routes, which are a regular occurrence around Paris
- on the 4th day, it booted and asked me to connect to a PC, when I did, the Web site encouraged me to install the MyTomTom software on my Mac which I did
- It then sync'd with the device, and erased all content including maps
- the software now says "Device is up-to-date", and the device boots saying No Maps Found!
- technical support was less than helpful, including both level 1 and level 2
- I am going to send this brick back to TomTom for full refund.

If anyone has a recommendation for a GPS that works and supports N.A. and Europe, I would be interested.

Thanks,
Go to Top of Page

synomenon

621 Posts

Posted - 09 juil. 2011 :  12:39:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone know if this can be used with the 2535M-Live's active mount?

http://www.bracketron.com/tomtom-amps-plate
Go to Top of Page

Sellador

USA
98 Posts

Posted - 14 août 2011 :  23:17:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last Tuesday (Aug 9), TomTom released an update to its Navigator software and MyTomTom that finally supports many of the features we had gotten used to with TomTom Home. The following is a list from TomTom of the new features. The full post and thread are at (see post below for correct link). I have to say that I really like the Go 2535M Live. I had a Go Live 740 before this and the new product is much nicer, with many of the quirky interface issues solved. The new 5" capacitive touch screen is brilliant! Now that you can customize it with 90% of the things you could the Go Live 740, I've quite happy. Here are the new features.

· Speed cameras
For the first time, LIVE devices will now also (next to the mobile speed camera locations) receive fixed speed camera location updates over the air, sent directly to the device.

· Add personal content
Devices will have the ability to install new splash screens, community voices, car icons, warning sounds and community color schemes (this is already possible for devices in Europe which have the latest device software 10.200 installed).

· Multiple destinations along your route
The update will provide you with the ability to plan a route, adding up to four destinations (waypoints) along your route, using the ‘Travel via’ feature in the device menu.

· Device location search enhancements
TomTom Places will be added (in Netherlands, Belgium, Portugal, Denmark and Germany) to enhance the search possibilities on the device, complementing Google Local Search.

Other improvements
· Device stability has been improved, which will help eliminate reboots that some customers have been reporting.

Edited by - Sellador on 15 août 2011 04:38:55
Go to Top of Page

Kex

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 15 août 2011 :  00:31:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure what happened with your link, Sellador, but it wouldn't work for me. Here is a direct link to the "official" post, so let's see if that works!

http://discussions.tomtom.com/t5/TomTom-GO-1000-2000-Via-Start-20/MyTomTom-update/m-p/67875#M12223

Otherwise, I continue to be extremely happy with my GO 2535M LIVE. It is very reliable and far more stable than the XL 340S LIVE when it was new. The new features that are coming are not a huge priority for me, as they are for some. Power users especially, perhaps. The existing features are either very good, or excellent, for the regular user, including:

- Magnetic mount (5/5)
- Speaker (5/5)
- Screen (4/5)
- Voice Command recognition(4/5)
- Voice Command features (3/5)
- Bluetooth (5/5)
- HD Traffic & IQ Routes (5/5)
- Menu navigation (4/5)
- Samantha TTS (5/5)
- Google Local Search (4/5)

The screen is very good, but does sometimes suffer from too glossy a surface. This can be managed mostly by making sure you can see your own eyes reflected in the screen before switching on. In this way, the worst reflections are avoided, since light shining in from one side will get reflected out the other side, not in your face. The color scheme of the status bar display and instructions minimizes the negative effects, since that can mostly be read in all light conditions.

Voice command recognition gets a lower mark because, while it is excellent at understanding commands 80-90% of the time, I think it needs to be closer to 90-95% of the time to avoid frustration, albeit occasional frustration. Voice command features get the lowest mark since some functions are cumbersome, such as navigating phone entries (too many "next" commands to reach later entries). Finding the nearest whatever is annoying sometimes too, since there is no way to know what brand names are known. For example, if you ask to "Drive to Whole Food", you get offered some obscure city nearby, and it's only after a half dozen tries that you concede that Whole Foods, or Whole Foods Market must not be in the database. There is also the problem with not getting a choice of at least one screen's worth of the nearest whatever, as mentioned in my first mini-review on P.3. of this thread. Don't interpret the lower mark as meaning it is bad, however. It is useful, indeed, it's just more limited and less intuitive than would be ideal, in my opinion.

Bluetooth is very goodfrequently. The speaker contributes to excellent sound, and the microphone seems to pick up everything, but filters out background noise so that it's mostly not obvious on the other end that the caller is in a vehicle.

HD Traffic and IQ Routes combine to provide excellent results, as stated before. Failures are currently fewer than once a month, in daily L.A. Traffic. This has been demonstrated even when driving through rush hour traffic to catch a flight: if the GO 2535M LIVE says you will drive directly through morning downtown traffic, to get to LAX parking at 08.30, then get to LAX parking at 08.30 you will. It takes a whole lot of the stress related to uncertainty about traffic conditions away. If driving in slow and heavy traffic one needs only to glance at the expected arrival time to realize that the estimate is still 90% accurate or better. The more I use it, the less I worry.

Menu navigation is vastly improved. You can go forward and back a lot more than before, and some options have been tidied up to make them more user friendly. There are a still a few quirks, but they are minor in my opinion, so this is really a 4.5, and closer to 5 than 4 in reality.

Google Local Search works well, but is a bit slower that I would like it to be. It would also be better to integrate Google results with the POI database, and have an easier way to correct the POI database with Google results at the same time. It's still a great feature to have.

With current pricing at $280, including a $60 annual subscription to LIVE Services, I'd say it's worth every penny, and then some.

Go to Top of Page

Sellador

USA
98 Posts

Posted - 15 août 2011 :  04:09:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the link fix, Kex. I'm not sure what happened to mine. Also, that was a great run-down on the 2535. At each point you made, I found myself agreeing and thinking I should have said that. I know some folks have been frustrated by the wait for MyTomTom to start getting the features that were promised, but at this point, I think they've put together a really nice product... best in class, IMO. While I know the top-end Garmin is iPhone-like sleek, and I would love to have the 3D terrain feature it has, I still think this product is the best overall AIO in the US market right now.
Go to Top of Page

Kex

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 15 août 2011 :  06:04:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're right, Sellador, the GO 2535 doesn't have the bling appeal of the gorgeous nüvi 3790, and I wish it was bit slimmer as well as a bit lighter (as I mentioned earlier in the thread), but frankly, at $400 (currently, from amazon), the 3790, equipped with RDS-TMC traffic (including pop-up adds) would be completely useless to me 90% of the time. I'd love to use it on cross country trips, but for daily traffic, with no working IQ Routes equivalent, my XL 340TM would actually be far superior. Any Garmin, even a connected device like the nüLink! 1695, would actually "cost" me 20-40 minutes almost each and every single day, simply because it can't reroute me around traffic effectively, even when the traffic information is correct.

I'm not going to pay for that kind of daily mental torture, now that I know that it's perfectly possible to avoid it with such a high rate of certainty. Road trip tourists can amuse themselves with the bling and the 3D terrain maps. To each his own priorities.

Go to Top of Page

Kex

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 30 oct. 2011 :  17:28:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With the launch of the new GO LIVE 1535M in North America, the GO 2535M LIVE seems to have benefited from a minor name change, to GO LIVE 2535M!

Go to Top of Page

rugbyfan

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 20 nov. 2011 :  13:52:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have read with great thanks to all the posts on the TT 2535, I tried the new series Garmins, one with the 3D HD receiver (GTM60) it was a complete disaster, then my final unit the Garmin 2555LMT (voice rec) was bad with my English accent and I have 'Ford SYNC' so no need for the bluetooth bit, anyway the last device though great in its screen colours, sharp and readable in sunlight, all the new goodies, traffic was terrible, the regular receiver that came with the 2x55 GTM26 was again a nightmare on receiving good data on a nine hundred mile trip on Interstate 75 - The previous long trip was back and forth to Wyoming from the NW Georgia mountains, all I can say about that trip was 'where is my old TT 2535M friend' yes I gave it up for the new Garmins, very stupid move, but again thanks to all your posts, its back the TT.
Happy Thanksgiving to all. !!!!

rugbyfan

Edited by - rugbyfan on 20 nov. 2011 13:54:41
Go to Top of Page

Kex

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 20 nov. 2011 :  17:57:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rugbyfan, as a fellow horse trailer traveler, I know your pain. I hesitated to suggest the GO LIVE 2535M to you earlier (when you posted in the Garmin nüvi thread) because I wasn't sure of your exact priorities (POI searching, route planning, ease of use, ETA accuracy, traffic ...).

The TomTom LIVE units are the best solution that we can depend on with our horse trailer for taking detours to avoid traffic. Any detours we ever attempted with our Garmin were always worse than staying on the freeway. We have an old truck (1994 K1500 Silverado, with 198K miles) and a heavy steel horse trailer, so we can't be messing about on detours that turn out to be a disaster with feisty young three day eventers in the back.

The TomTom is not ideal, however, since our old truck cannot keep up with the estimated travel times which are so incredibly accurate when driving our cars.
  • Firstly, the actual limit for trucks with trailers is 55 mph in general, so driving at 65 mph or faster can get us into trouble with the highway patrol, whereas in a car, it's acceptable to drive at 70 mph when the limit for most vehicles is 65 mph.

• Secondly, our truck can only manage to maintain 45-50 mph on steep freeway inclines, instead of 70 mph (what else could you expect, with a three speed gearbox?!).

• Thirdly, the same problem arises on steep grades on two lane roads, either up or downhill: we just cannot drive nearly as fast as a normal car.

For that reason alone, I might have suggested trying the Garmin dezl range instead, especially if you have a big trailer and bigger truck than ours, with a newer five or six speed transmission. Since traffic avoidance seems to be a concern, however, that's a non-starter for all the reasons you already know about, and personally, I highly doubt the new Garmin "3D" service delivered through HD radio is going to change that part of the equation much in the foreseeable future (it's not a connected device, and updates every thirty seconds are useless if you can't get accurate suggestions for avoidance alternatives).

Anyway, thanks for posting your update!

Edited by - Kex on 20 nov. 2011 17:58:45
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1,02 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05