Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2274

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - General
 GPS and Mobile News
 [NEWS] GpsPasSion coverage of CES 2011 Show
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

gpspassion

93998 Posts

Posted - 04 janv. 2011 :  23:06:39  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
NEWS - CES 2011 COVERAGE

Las Vegas Convention Center today at noon

All the pictures from CES 2011 on Flickr : >> CES 2011 Picture Set<<

The CES International 2011 show is taking place this week in Las Vegas and the GpsPasSion Team is already on location. There will be some press events on the 4th and the 5th and the tradeshow will start officially on the 6th.

Previous years had been disappointing in terms of GPS news but Garmin already have some exciting announcements : StreetPilot for iPhone, nuvi 24xx Series with 5" screen and more.

Feel free if you have any questions or new devices/software you want more info about, enjoy!

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?

Ads

gpspassion

93998 Posts

Posted - 04 janv. 2011 :  23:40:10  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We already have several exciting announcements from Garmin : http://garmin.blogs.com/pr/?activeBranchId=newsroom

-> nuvi 24xx series : http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=139205
-> StreetPilot for iPhone : http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=139207

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93998 Posts

Posted - 05 janv. 2011 :  04:41:51  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
SPOT announce "SPOT Connect" for Smartphones that like the Delorme PN-60w handheld GPS allows users to send emails via satellite :

As seen below it is very similar to the Delorme version, except that it uses Bluetooth versus a long-range wireless protocol for the Delorme version :

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93998 Posts

Posted - 05 janv. 2011 :  04:45:29  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There was a long queue for the "CES unveiled" Event !

It was worth the wait (snacks and drinks not listed !) :

In good company : Dan Gillmor and John C. Dvorak

Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7442 Posts

Posted - 05 janv. 2011 :  19:00:00  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We get a fair number of truck-specific requests in the forums, so if you get a minute, check out the d#275;zl 560LMT : http://garmin.blogs.com/pr/2011/01/garmin-introduces-d%C4%93zl-for-over-the-road-truck-navigation.html?activeBranchId=newsroom

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Nüvi 760 in a '14 VW GTI & zumo 660 on a BMW F800 ST
Guide to working with pre-programmed routes: >> details <<
Language Guide / US Topo / 350 & 680 / MacBook & Intel iMac with OS X & Win XP / BaseCamp / Cape Cod, MA
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93998 Posts

Posted - 05 janv. 2011 :  19:30:32  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hopefully they'll have one in their "Hummer Demo Vehicle" ;-)

The hardware is obvisouly different from the nuvi 465 but I wonder whether the routing will be different/improved.

Here's a picture of the d#275;zl 560LMT (as in diesel I suppose...) :

Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7442 Posts

Posted - 05 janv. 2011 :  19:52:19  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, the term "dezl" (typed without the accent so the board doesn't mangle it) is pretty lame. Among other things, the word Diesel technically should be capitalized. There's no "Mr. Gas," for example, but Dr. Rudolf Diesel is the inventor of the compression ignition engine.

The Garmin press release suggests tie-ins to a professional database of truck info, so routing may indeed be better suited to trucks and able to incorporate height and weight limits.

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Nüvi 760 in a '14 VW GTI & zumo 660 on a BMW F800 ST
Guide to working with pre-programmed routes: >> details <<
Language Guide / US Topo / 350 & 680 / MacBook & Intel iMac with OS X & Win XP / BaseCamp / Cape Cod, MA
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93998 Posts

Posted - 06 janv. 2011 :  02:32:06  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Back from my drive in the "Garminmobile" :

Updated the iPhone and nuvi 24xx topics
- iPhone : http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=139207
- nuvi 24xx : http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=139205

Started topics for the dezl and GTU10 :
- dezl 560 : http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=139231
- GTU 10 tracker : http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=139232

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93998 Posts

Posted - 07 janv. 2011 :  21:43:12  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Busy day yesterday, having sorted through my pictures here are some highlights :

TOMTOM - GARMIN - NAVTEQ - GLOBALSAT - BLACKBERRY PLAYBOOK - SHOWSTOPPERS

Caught a presentation in the CNET area of the new TomTom watch...

TOMTOM AT CES 2011

...then proceeded to the TomTom booth...except there is no public display booth...but closed sessions in the MP (meeting rooms) area where Kaitlin welcomed me after I pushed the door :

They brought the "sofa hands" !

New VIA and GO LIVE AIOs - Both pretty stylish - Mid-2011 Availability

New Nike+TomTom watch with built-in USB connector :

The new Sony XNV-L66BT/L77BT 2DIN aftermarket system with its "heart" (a GO LIVE 1000 without a screen) :

Then off to find Garmin who have a full public booth :

GARMIN AT CES 2011

The new Smartphone apps : StreetPilot for iPhone and myMechanic for Android/Ecoroute HD

see the [TOPIC] Garmin® ecoRoute™ hd via OBD II - Reviews for more screenshots.

new dezl 560 for truckers on display of course :

see the [NEWS] Garmin dezl 560LMT - GPS for Truckers for more screenshots.

Then on to the nuvi 24xx models with their new "customization" features :

see the [NEWS] Garmin nuvi 24xx Series - CES 2011 Preview for more details and screenshots.

Garmin are pushing their new tracking solutions :
GTU-10, an "upgraded" 1695 (see this topic for more details) and a dedicated website

A new "tracker" feature on the 1695 :

The Android tracking app :

Outdoor GPS not forgotten of course :

...or sports

Then off to the other GPS related booths :

NAVTEQ AT CES 2011

Starting with Navteq...

...with the more interesting items on display were:

"Natural Guidance" : new map attributes to give "natural" directions, such as "turn right at the next red light", "turn before/after/at/next, etc...", so far only NNG's iGo software is using them and the coverage is limited to New-York, Chicago and Los Angeles

Some GPS cameras using Navteq's maps and/or POIs for location

GLOBALSAT AT CES 2011

...on to the other GPS related booth in the South Hall : Globalsat, the only remaining (at least at CES) GPS manufacturer from the mid-2000s (gone are Holux, Royaltek, Haicom, etc..)

They have sports devices and watches, including the new 625xt

GPS trackers :

and a new GS-Traq website for their customers :

SiRFstarIV boards too :

SPOT was also in the South Hall but already covered above, so that was it for "GPS"...

BLACKBERRY PLAYBOOK TABLET

...but I stumbled on the Blackberry Booth and was very impressed with their PlayBook tablet, very fast and smart (bezel controlled) interface with the real time QNX operating system and dual core platform. It has GPS of course but they were not sure if it's the powerful and lean SiRFstarIV chipset like on the Blackberry Torch.

And that was it...

SHOWSTOPPERS

before a quick stop at the ShowStoppers event in the Lafite ballroom at the Wynn hotel, but no GPS there unfortunately :

So that concludes my coverage of CES 2011

FINAL WORDS : all in all not a bad year for GPS with some unexpected announcements like the Garmin GTU-10 turnkey tracking solution and the Nike/TomTom watch. Good to see the new customization options on the Garmin nuvi 24xx and dezl 560 systems too, even it it's too bad the existing models will not be getting them. Nice to see the new SiRFstarIV designs from Globalsat too, let's hope they appear in more systems quickly.

Questions, comments ?

Go to Top of Page

Alexo

Canada
160 Posts

Posted - 08 janv. 2011 :  04:49:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gpspassion

New VIA and GO LIVE AIOs - Both pretty stylish - Mid-2011 Availability

Questions, comments ?

Any word about the features of these AIOs?
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93998 Posts

Posted - 08 janv. 2011 :  04:54:23  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, they use "Nav 3" -> http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?topic_id=134838 - quite "dumbed down" unfortunately and the new MyTomTom PC software is still "Work in Progress" (still no map updates).

Go to Top of Page

Alexo

Canada
160 Posts

Posted - 08 janv. 2011 :  05:55:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ouch.
Do they still have full-featured software models?
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93998 Posts

Posted - 08 janv. 2011 :  09:47:53  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not in their current line-up but some good deals can still be found on the previous "non dumbed down" models, at Amazon for instance, someone mentioned one in the RDS TMC v5 receiver yesterday.

Go to Top of Page

offthegrid

USA
399 Posts

Posted - 08 janv. 2011 :  17:08:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you have any luck with TomTom re the HD Traffic in the US?
Go to Top of Page

Jim1348

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 08 janv. 2011 :  19:27:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been trying to determine what new Android application have been announced for Garmin and it looks like:

-Garmin Tracker GTU 10

-Garmin myMechanic

-Garmin My-Cast Lite

Am I missing any? I guess we knew that there would not be a regular Garmin Andoid application, but I have been wondering if Asus was at CED 2011, but I haven't read anything about them there yet.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93998 Posts

Posted - 09 janv. 2011 :  01:28:19  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes on #1 and #2, didn't see "My-Cast Lite", looks like it's available for free in the Market? If you give it a try, feel free to post something about it in the Android forums. As for ASUS I didn't bump into them, no, I did ask Garmin if there was an exclusivity with them as I thought I'd read and they said there wan't. Don't see why there couldn't be a StreePilot of Android at some point then, but they would have to go "on-board" to try to compete with Google Maps Navigation.

@offthegrid - yes, had a long talk with Jeff who is responsible for HD Traffic in North America, I'll go over my notes and will post an update in the TomTom HD Traffic topic on Monday http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?topic_id=100734 - harf to get a lot of "hard info" unfortunately...

Screenshots now posted here http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?whichpage=12&TOPIC_ID=136329#978909 on the new "tracker firmware" for the nuvi 1695.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1,11 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05