Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2266

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 GPS on the Apple iPhone and iPad - smartphoneGPS.com
 [TOPIC] Garmin StreetPilot iPhone -Reviews- v7.5.0
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

davidt

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 04 janv. 2011 :  18:50:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TOPIC - Garmin StreetPilot for iPhone
Off-Board navigation (maps and routes on server) - Traffic - Weather - iPad (no fullscreen)
Latest version: v7.5.0 (June 22nd, 2012)

Updated 2012 : new v7.5.0 version available, see details on page 3.
Updated 20110209 : new v6.5.4 version available, see details on page 2.

Updated 20110111 : new v6.5.3 version available, see details below.

Useful Links : Product page on iTunes : >> LINK <<
- Product announcement at CES 2011 : >> LINK <<
- Product page on Garmin site : >> LINK <<
- Page on iTunes : >> LINK <<

Original message: Garmin has as of today in the USA released their iPhone application at $39.99 USA. Seems to be full featured including traffic. However no maps, download as you plan and go. traffic seems to be based on "FM type coverage" based on the list of available markets.[ed]

[/center]

Ads

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 04 janv. 2011 :  21:03:38  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is excellent news! Actually this is what many we were hoping for after Garmin discontinued their branded line of nuvifone smartphones. I'm at CES this week so I'll try to get more details, like an iPad version ;-) Will ask about the Traffic provider but delivery would have to be network based. Nice to see the StreetPilot name resurrected too!

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

Boyd

USA
1725 Posts

Posted - 05 janv. 2011 :  01:28:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was very enthusiastic when I first heard of this also.... but looking more closely, a Nuvifone it ain't. The maps are not stored on the phone and require a data connection over the cellular network. Garmin says this is an advantage, since the maps are always up to date.

Users are reporting other problems, such as poor integration of the iPod and telephony features. Think I'll sit this one out for awhile myself, although it's hard to complain too much about the $40 price.
Go to Top of Page

offthegrid

USA
399 Posts

Posted - 05 janv. 2011 :  01:57:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Traffic is through Total Traffic which is flow from Inrix and incidents from Clear Channel. It's on the Garmin website that way unless that's a mistake. The FM version is limited to major highways so it'll be interesting whether this app gets greater coverage than that taking advantage of the potential. There is a TotalTraffic HD radio version which offers more maybe this will also.
Go to Top of Page

caryrae

USA
588 Posts

Posted - 05 janv. 2011 :  03:17:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wonder how much data usage this could have on the iPhones for people who don't have the unlimited data plan? I have the $15 200mb/month data plan, so how much could I use this app before I would use that up in a month streaming the maps?
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 05 janv. 2011 :  03:19:21  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, off-board maps, and I suppose route calculations, are a bit of a letdown, especially when roaming abroad, hopefully they are doing some caching though, I'll be getting a demo drive in Garmin's "CES Hummer" tomorrow afternoon so I'll ask.

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

wco81

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 05 janv. 2011 :  17:56:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How much are they planning to charge for other maps?

How would FM traffic work on iPhone?

Maybe they will introduce cached maps when they get in-app purchases working.

Does the StreetPilot brand imply a lower-end product than the Nuvi product?
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 05 janv. 2011 :  18:34:49  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'll ask about the name but I wouldn't read too much into it. If anything the StreetPilots where THE original advanced GPS Systems in the early 2000s, check out the SP forums here for more details.

Traffic is obviously via the network, the initial comment was about the type of coverage, offthegrid addressed that above.

Don't confuse "caching" which they must already be doing to deal with temporary loss of network coverage with local storage of the maps. Depending on how the app was designed that might hard to add. Actually I'm not aware of apps that offer both, Webraska, the early off-board experts struggled with that for years and never managed to release a product.

Go to Top of Page

Boyd

USA
1725 Posts

Posted - 06 janv. 2011 :  01:33:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gpspassion

If anything the StreetPilots where THE original advanced GPS Systems in the early 2000s

True, but then after the focus shifted to the sleek Nuvi series the StreetPilots became more closely identified with the clunky Cxx0 series (or at least it did in my mind)....

Edited by - Boyd on 06 janv. 2011 01:33:42
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 06 janv. 2011 :  02:15:41  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes that was the "odd one" out ;-)

Anyway I'm back from my ride in the "Garmin CES Hummer" and I got a chance to take a quick look at the iPhone app and ask a few questions that I'll follow up on tomorrow, especially the availability of European maps. They confirmed there was local caching, but didn't have details on the amount, and said they had no info on a version with downloadable maps.

Overall this looks like a "v1" (even though it's officially v6.5.2) without many options and no POI importing with the POI-Loader. As seen below, the Traffic information is from ClearChannel.

Pictures now posted in the 2011 CES Set : http://www.flickr.com/photos/gpspassion/sets/72157625623454719/

Here are some of them :

Home screen in portrait mode...

...Home screen in landscape mode, rotation is as fast as on the 37xx

Map looks very sharp on the Retina screen of the iPhone 4 :

The landscape mode has a slight bug on the far left

I didn't get to view the map in 3D mode, probably because no route was planned, more to follow tomorrow.

Go to Top of Page

wco81

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 06 janv. 2011 :  03:23:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They use the on-screen + and - buttons to zoom in and out, not pinch zooming? Or double-tap?
Go to Top of Page

navxguy

133 Posts

Posted - 06 janv. 2011 :  04:49:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you can use +/- or pinch/stretch ... no double tap
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 07 janv. 2011 :  21:02:44  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Confirmed after installing the app on my iPhone 3Gs and iPad (not full screen optimized).

I can also confirm the comments that the voices are of an inferior quality, they remind me of the TTS voices on the nuvi 2x5 series.

Many missing features compared to the nuvis :
- no detour
- no navigation to lat/long
- no navigation info field customization (only time of arrival and speed)
- Looked up the folders used by the App but can't find a \Poi folder where I was hoping to drop in a poi.gpi file for custom POIs...

Feels like a v1 overall, let's hope Garmin will add new features quickly...not sure if they'll wait to see if the app sells well in the Appstore, hope not!

continued : on the plus side I did some route calculations and they are blazingly fast, less than 5 seconds for a San Francisco -> NYC trip...granted you don't need that on an everyday basis but it's impressive all the same ;-) Also you see all the traffic incidents along that route.

Go to Top of Page

navxguy

133 Posts

Posted - 11 janv. 2011 :  22:06:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
New StreetPilot app in iTunes ... nice to see quick update, must have known before CES release. Still needs work, but heading in right direction.

quote:
What's New in Version 6.5.3 :

•Improved audio quality - Voice instructions are now clearer and easier to understand
•Map storage size increased - browse even more maps offline that you've previously downloaded
•Listen to music without interruptions - New setting toggles voice instructions on/off during navigation
•New volume control added to navigation map menu for quick access
•Faster map downloads
•Minor bug fixes
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 11 janv. 2011 :  23:40:26  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the heads up, now updating.

Indeed that was a quick update, I'm surprised they didn't mention it at CES, I guess the engineers like to have their little secrets ;-)

"Map storage size increased - browse even more maps offline that you've previously downloaded" - good but it would be nice to know what's available exactly.

Go to Top of Page

caryrae

USA
588 Posts

Posted - 14 janv. 2011 :  20:54:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure what others think but when not following a route the street names are very hard to see even when zoomed in all the way on my iPhone 4 and my eyesight is pretty good, I can see the names fine when following a route.

Edited by - caryrae on 14 janv. 2011 20:55:58
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,78 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05