Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2295

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Garmin nüvi forums
 Garmin Map update interrupted - data corrupt ?
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ejgatt

57 Posts

Posted - 13 nov. 2010 :  17:31:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was updating the latest map update but during the installation process the comuter shut down unexpectedly, thus interrupting the map update. When I checked the map on the Nuvi, it shows the latest map, but frankly I am afraid that maybe there is a corruption somewhere and it would not funtion properly in some areas. I tried downloading again to make a fresh installation but it is now telling me the the Nuvi does not have space.

How can I make a complete fresh installation on the Nuvi or else check the the installation is complete wihtout any errors.

Thanks

Ads

NanaimoRick

Canada
7736 Posts

Posted - 13 nov. 2010 :  18:19:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Under normal circumstances, downloading the map update again should not produce a message about not having enough space. This is because the update should delete the old version and install the new one so if the first attempt fully completed without a space issue then the second one should as well. IMHO there is something wrong with your initial update attempt.

Garmin support maybe the best place to get assistance on this issue but if you want to try again you could do this:

- insure you have a complete backup of the contents of your Nuvi's internal storage drive.

- attach the Nuvi to your PC and look for a file called gmapprom.img. There may also be some other small files called gmapprom with different extensions (.sum for example)

- MOVE all of the gmapprom files to a folder on your PC. This should free up over 1.3GB of space on your Nuvi.

- logon to your myGarmin account and download the map update again using the "download again" tab.

A couple of points - you don't say what model of Nuvi you have. If it's a 1xxx or 37xx model you will need to alter the view options in Windows to allow you to see all hidden and system files and folders prior to looking for the gmapprom files. This is because on these models the files are stored in a folder called .system which is not visible in My Computer until you have altered the view options.

- once you find the gmapprom.img file and if you have installed the full City Navigator North America maps, the file size should be over 1,300,000KB. If it substantially less than that then you probably don't have the full install on your Nuvi.

- if doing a redownload doesn't work, copy the MOVED files back to their original location and you should at least be back to the point you are currently.

Rick James - Nuvi Forum Moderator
Nuvi 350 - Nuvi 760 - Nuvi 1695LM - Nuvi 3790LMT (with ecoRoutes HD) - Nuvi 2460LMT - Nuvi 3597LMTHD (with ecoRoutes HD) also TomTom 540S for side by side comparison >> Here <<
2014 Chevrolet Equinox 2LT AWD

Go to Top of Page

ejgatt

57 Posts

Posted - 13 nov. 2010 :  18:33:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Rick and sorry for the incomplete information I gave. My Nuvi is the 1490T and the map is City Navigator Europe 2011.3.

I will follow your instructions and hopefully everything will be ok.
Go to Top of Page

NanaimoRick

Canada
7736 Posts

Posted - 14 nov. 2010 :  05:16:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You will definitely need to change the Folder View Options in Windows in order to see the gmapprom files in the .system folder of the 1490T. Also since your using City Navigator Europe, the gmapprom.img file should be over 2GB in size and not 1.3 as I originally stated. The Europe map file is much larger than the North American version.

Rick James - Nuvi Forum Moderator
Nuvi 350 - Nuvi 760 - Nuvi 1695LM - Nuvi 3790LMT (with ecoRoutes HD) - Nuvi 2460LMT - Nuvi 3597LMTHD (with ecoRoutes HD) also TomTom 540S for side by side comparison >> Here <<
2014 Chevrolet Equinox 2LT AWD

Go to Top of Page

ejgatt

57 Posts

Posted - 14 nov. 2010 :  23:11:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Problem solved!

I followed your suggestions Rick in that I deleted all the gmapprom from the system folder of the Nuvi. However the Nuvi was still indicating that there was not enough space for the full installation.

However, when I selected all the maps in Mapsource, I noticed that the total file size was actually smaller than available space and so I installed the maps thru Mapsource and I did not have a problem.

So the trouble seemed to be somewhere that when whatever software calculates how much free space there is on the Nuvi for direct download was not making correct calculations.

Anyway, problem solved for now. Now I will see what happens on the next update!

Thanks for your help Rick.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,77 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05